Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Me entering the caves under Ashina Castle.
giphy.gif

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I completed the game just a few minutes ago. Pretty good game overall, I enjoyed it a lot. If I must chosse between the things I didn't like I would pick that there's some enemies designed with hardcounters in mind. For example, you need the axe arm to kill efficiently the soldiers with shield (Otherwise they are a pain in the ass). A little of the same goes with the guys with a spear and a hat from Senpo temple, they must be countered with shurikens in mid air.

118dgtt.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've killed 100% of all minibosses using them...

I've tried both the regular sugar and the vitality/power tradeoff one and I couldn't see any noticeable difference. If there's one it's maybe 20%? So instead of 40 hits you only gotta do 30? Plus it doesn't last very long. Meh. Compared to resins or the red tearstone ring in DS it's underwhelming.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

bataille

Arcane

I've tried both the regular sugar and the vitality/power tradeoff one and I couldn't see any noticeable difference. If there's one it's maybe 20%? So instead of 40 hits you only gotta do 30? Plus it doesn't last very long. Meh. Compared to resins or the red tearstone ring in DS it's underwhelming.

The only time I've consciously observed its effects was with the shinobi in the reservoir. I'd say the damage to his posture was at least 50% higher compared to a couple of my previous attempts, maybe even more. He felt like a regular enemy in terms of robustness. But it is indeed a very short-lived buff: it had dissipated before he got up from the first deathblow. The item generally felt like something to use to brute force an unfamiliar moderately challenging non-boss encounter, nothing more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The only time I've consciously observed its effects was with the shinobi in the reservoir. I'd say the damage to his posture was at least 50% higher compared to a couple of my previous attempts, maybe even more.

I've just hard-checked this. Regular sugar increases all damage by 12.5%, rounding down. So it's completely, laughably worthless. Yashariku sugar increases damage by 25%. Probably useful for speedruns, for normal players the tradeoff is likely not worth it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've done a bad thing. The curiosity took advantage of me. I reinstalled the game.

I had like 10-15 tries for the Corrupted Monk but the fight was too long. My concentration was fading after 2-3 minutes of fucking around and usually I was dying in the phase 3.

So, I've used Cheat Engine to double my damage and Holy Shit! ... he went down 1st try. Instead of 30+ hits per deathblow, he went down in half time and I actually enjoyed the fight. It felt normal.

But then I tried to explore the rest of the area and honest to God I cannot stand the game anymore.

In the past I've spent months with all DS games (including DS3) but this is the first game from FS that I find repulsive. There is something about Sekiro which contradicts the principle of fairness.

That's all. Uninstalled again.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Limited consumables in a game where progress is saved after death is a completely counterproductive idea. Why would I use my rare Magic Spaghetti against a magic unorthodox enemy type I'm completely unfamiliar with and am very likely to die to, so if I do use the item and die anyways, the item has been completely wasted and I won't be able to use it later on anyways? And once I get good enough to not immediately die against said mini-boss, I most likely won't even need to use the consumable.

Save for the rarest and most powerful ones, most consumables would have been better off being refilled on rest so you feel actually inclined to use them (and later on you do get rest-refill versions of existing consumables anyways, like the dmg buff from the first Headless which consumes spirit emblems or the anti-terror/poison/burn gourds).

Maybe have all the sugars you find be a crafting material for their respective type of buff, so 10 or so red sugars can upgrade the amount of times you can use a red sugar per rest, like a different type of Gourd Seed. Maybe even give the player the option to upgrade their sugars/antidotes whether they want short-term explosive boosts and full immunity against certain debuffs, or long-term partial resistances and buffs which can last a minute or so. That way you actually feel some kind of progress and like your effort wasn't wasted when you find yet another Sugar/Medicine. Basically Path of Exile's flasks have the right idea.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Villagkouras

Arcane
Yesterday was the day that made me love this game.

I beat 2-3 bosses and a handful of mini bosses and most of the time I tried a few times. Probably I tried fewer times to kill all these things than Drunkard alone. Some mini bosses took maybe 30 seconds, without using any stealth attacks, the game just clicked on me and parried like a madman.

OTOH, I'm glad that even now that I'm better there are many "fuck you" moments, in most From games midgame is a breeze compared to early and end game.

The only thing I miss from other games is the thrill to find a new weapon/armor, here while exploration is excellent, items are not exciting.

From is at its best when they create new IPs.

Cromwell

Arcane
Limited consumables in a game where progress is saved after death is a completely counterproductive idea. Why would I use my rare Magic Spaghetti against a magic unorthodox enemy type I'm completely unfamiliar with and am very likely to die to, so if I do use the item and die anyways, the item has been completely wasted and I won't be able to use it later on anyways? And once I get good enough to not immediately die against said mini-boss, I most likely won't even need to use the consumable.

Motly I dont use them because compared to the length of a bossfight their buffs are pathetically short. So short in Fact that you cant prebuff like I did with firepaper for example in bloodborne. In the bossfight itself its mostly that I dont have time to use them becase I am expected to be very aggressive, yet applying a buff takes "a lot" of time and you also run the risk of the boss jumping you with something and taing away half your health.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I started NG+ after beating the game but stopped after I read that NG+ is kinda barebones and instead started a regular new game to see how hard it felt now. And sure enough, the first time I died was against Genichiro and I beat his ass fairly easily on the second try. I just beat the Guardian Ape (both fights) and the spectral Corrupted Monk and I've died maybe a total of four times during the entire game. Mostly due to carelessness and trying to do things too fast.

The magic of Git Gud is real, men. Don't get discouraged :love:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
O'Rin of the Water had me stumped because I couldn't figure out how to deal with her long i-frame dodge move, like I'm dealing with another Souls player. Eventually after dying often enough I ragequit the game. Then after two minutes I figured that maybe I should just keep filling up her Posture since trying to damage her Vitality is a crapshoot, so I booted the game up again and got her in the next try.

The game just keeps living on in my head.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Beat the monkey duo in 3 tries. That's the game at its best - learning their moves, mastering yours and using the appropriate tools. The spear for the headless monkey, firecrackers for the green one. Great fight.

Mojobeard

Augur
I started a new game, and it's mostly going smooth but... I still can not do counter moves for the life of me if it's an enemy that does both thrusts and sweeps. :negative: At least I can perfect block. Sometimes.

Puteo

Learned
I started a new game, and it's mostly going smooth but... I still can not do counter moves for the life of me if it's an enemy that does both thrusts and sweeps. :negative: At least I can perfect block. Sometimes.

Don't even bother trying to counter the kanji attacks from bosses, that system is straight up broken. Just avoid those attacks by sprinting/multidodging away.

The only exception to this rule is the mikiri counter, once you unlock it. It's much easier to pull off and worth using when you can.

Ivan

Arcane
has anyone experimented using Kuro's Charm and the Demon Bell in NG+? Do you basically get one shotted by anything and everything?
:P

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I've done everything except the final boss and I'm still missing 4 prayer beads to get 20 VIT.

I assume that's only for NG+? Because there's no way I could find another 4 mini-bosses.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
OT:
https://wccftech.com/from-software-game-of-thrones/

From Software May Be Working With Game Of Thrones’ Creator George R.R. Martin On A New Game – Rumor
By Francesco De Meo
1 min ago
14Shares
Share Tweet Submit

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has just been released on PC and consoles, but we already know that From Software is currently working on other titles, including a dark fantasy title that has yet to be revealed. According to a report, it seems like this game could be huge and extremely ambitious.

According to a recent report from Spawn Wave, From Software is working with George R.R. Martin, author of the A Song of Ice and Fire, upon which Game of Thrones is based, on a brand new game. Martin is working on the story and lore of the game. In this game, players will be invading a variety of kingdoms, killing their leaders and obtain their unique powers that can be used to continue invading kingdoms. Needless to say, this premise sounds extremely interesting.

According to the report, this yet to be named game is going to be announced during E3 2019 this June. Until an official announcement comes in, however, we have to take everything with a grain of salt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom