Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Soo...how many runs ya'll needed for the final boss?

I've been at him for about an hour. I can kill 1st stage 7/10 times. I haven't killed 2nd yet.

It's like half-hour of a fierce QTE game. Move A, press block. Move B press jump. Move C press dodge-pause-dodge. Move D press dodge back-jump. The full list would require 2 pages of text.

Autism turned to 11.

I've powered through Owl and Ape and Demon but this can actually be beyond my skillz. A lifetime of never using the controller caught up to me. The buttons aren't automatized enough and playing with MK is just bad.

I had the same bad feeling about Gael and Friede and I've never beaten them either. But in DS3 I could summon sunbros and finish the game regardless. Here...

Fuck.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Took like maybe 2-3 hours of attempts. a bit disappointed how easy the later stages of the final boss can be.

He's one of the easiest enemies in the game to mikiri counter in phase 3 and 4, and I am absolutely terrible at consistently mikiri countering, even against phase 1 and 2. Phase 4 is almost completely trivialized by the fact that you can reflect his lightning attack back at him to do massive vitality and posture damage, as well as shocking him giving you several chances to get more free hits in. Isshin is very aggressive, and quick to react between combos, your best bet is to play on the defensive for the most part, focus of deflecting at all phases, and try to toss in a few hits between his combos, some of his more vulnerable moments are his charge attacks that you can avoid by just spacing yourself far enough, then running in when he's done. It's very difficult to heal due to how aggressive he is and how many gap closers he has, try to use the few rocks in the field to your advantage and heal when they're between you and Isshin.

Ivan

Arcane
So I've done everything except the final boss and I'm still missing 4 prayer beads to get 20 VIT.

I assume that's only for NG+? Because there's no way I could find another 4 mini-bosses.

For the first form (technically second), learn when he does the thrust versus the sweep. You should be good. Good luck with the final form.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Killed the demon.
God what a shit fight. They seriously need to address the camera problems when confronting large creatures. Spent a day farming and getting attack power up a few points and divine confetti and all the apparitions for their items. Finally today took me like 2 hours to drop him. You absolutely need divine confetti otherwise that fight is gonna take eons. The first time I fought him I didn't use anything, any consumable, but after seeing what it does to apparitions, damn, not a massive damage increase but enough.
Thank God I don't have to do that fight again. Hardest boss so far but shittiest by far, him and the O'Rin one.

Sentinel

Arcane
I completed the game just a few minutes ago. Pretty good game overall, I enjoyed it a lot. If I must chosse between the things I didn't like I would pick that there's some enemies designed with hardcounters in mind. For example, you need the axe arm to kill efficiently the soldiers with shield (Otherwise they are a pain in the ass). A little of the same goes with the guys with a spear and a hat from Senpo temple, they must be countered with shurikens in mid air.

118dgtt.png
You can beat the shield guys with classic Dark Souls tactic: remove lock on and run behind them. They don't have tracking to keep up. About the spear guys in Senpo Temple, there's a skill that lets you do instant Deathblows on mid-air enemies that is extremely useful for them. See video:
https://streamable.com/8fps0

Sentinel

Arcane
Soo...how many runs ya'll needed for the final boss?

I've been at him for about an hour. I can kill 1st stage 7/10 times. I haven't killed 2nd yet.

It's like half-hour of a fierce QTE game. Move A, press block. Move B press jump. Move C press dodge-pause-dodge. Move D press dodge back-jump. The full list would require 2 pages of text.

Autism turned to 11.

I've powered through Owl and Ape and Demon but this can actually be beyond my skillz. A lifetime of never using the controller caught up to me. The buttons aren't automatized enough and playing with MK is just bad.

I had the same bad feeling about Gael and Friede and I've never beaten them either. But in DS3 I could summon sunbros and finish the game regardless. Here...

Fuck.
I spent about 6 hours on that boss, and man when I beat him it was a nail biting fight. I ended up using most of my items.

Best thing is practice - recognize the moves that lead to a spear thrust and take advantage of the mikiri counter, stay aggressive and as soon as he deflects, get ready to deflect; when his sword shines, get the fuck out of the way and move sideways as well, use physical resistance/posture resistance sugars. Mist Raven tool saved my ass a couple times. He has a ton of moves that you can punish, but it's also a fight that tests you on all the game's mechanics. Oddly enough despite spending so much time on him I had fun fighting him every time, a first for a FromSoft game. I didn't really mind dying.

Sentinel

Arcane
Treasure Carp Scale Locations:
Hirata Estate
-4 in lake from Treasure Carps
-1 as loot from the left side of the bridge
-2 from Treasure Carps located under the bridge leading to the burning manor where the Owl is sitting at.

Senpou Mountain
-2 in pond from Treasure Carps, soon after ROBERTO!.

Ashina Depths - Mibu Village
-2 from Exiled Memorial Mob, 500 sen each.
-1 as loot at the end of the river by the Exiled Memorial Mob, guarded by a purple samurai.
-1 from Treasure Carp in the river next to Water Mill Idol.
-5 from the thirsty guy after giving him Water of the Palace. After giving him the water, rest and come back to claim your prize.

Ashina Castle
-1 as loot underwater under the Ashina Castle Idol.

Sunken Valley
-2 from Treasure Carps in the lake under Snake
-1 as loot under water in the lake before Riven Cave Idol

Fountain Head Palace
-3 as loot in the hidden room you access by going through water in the area with flute playing nobles. Where Water of the Palace is.
-3 as loot under water inside a submerged house on the right side of the lake
-7 from Treasure Carps inside the lake.
-2 as loot near the Headless in the lake.
-4 from the noble in Feeding Grounds after feeding the Master 5 precious baits. Need to experiment further for the exact amount you can get.

What to do with scales.
-Obviously you purchase things from the Pot Nobles. One is located in Hirata lake at the very beginning of the game, the other is located at Fountainhead Palace. Each noble gives you a precious bait to feed the master, and upon giving whoever's precious bait they'll turn into a carp while resulting the death of the other Pot Noble. You don't have to worry about their inventory since doing so transfers items from one to other. You'll also find a Lapis Lazuli in the pot of the transformed noble.
-Once a noble transforms into a carp, warp to Guardian Ape's Watering Hole not-bonfire. You can loot Great White Whiskers from the corpse of the Great Colored Carp and taking it to the noble at Feeding Grounds for a divine grass. Rest again at the idol for his daughter to show up and complete their questline.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
fuck this game

fuck the final boss.. I've literally beaten every boss except him (and the 2 in Hirata Estate 2 since I didn't do all the prerequisite convoluted bullshit to make it appear) and this fucking faggot is a piece of shit.. I can generally get through the first two phases without getting hit but as soon as the 3rd/4th phase appear just ONE fuck up and I am dead because there is no way to fucking heal because even if they are in a stun animation they will immediately break out of it and jump halfway across the map and hit me.. or I attempt to do a mikiri counter and my dude just decides this time he's going to roll, even if I do it at the same time, sometimes he will just decide to roll into it and get hit..

piece of shit game

Sentinel

Arcane
fuck this game

fuck the final boss.. I've literally beaten every boss except him (and the 2 in Hirata Estate 2 since I didn't do all the prerequisite convoluted bullshit to make it appear) and this fucking faggot is a piece of shit.. I can generally get through the first two phases without getting hit but as soon as the 3rd/4th phase appear just ONE fuck up and I am dead because there is no way to fucking heal because even if they are in a stun animation they will immediately break out of it and jump halfway across the map and hit me.. or I attempt to do a mikiri counter and my dude just decides this time he's going to roll, even if I do it at the same time, sometimes he will just decide to roll into it and get hit..

piece of shit game
1) Sprint away from him, wait for him to do the gap closer, keep sprinting while he's recovering from the animation and heal
2) When you want to do a mikiri counter, simply press Circle/B without touching the left stick. This game by default dodges forward, instead of backwards like Dark Souls.
3) Seriously, avoid spamming buttons. I can't count the amount of times I got fucked by spamming a button on that boss. The dodge especially can get queued if you spam it.
4) As I said above, use the physical resistance sugars. They're really useful. And you can prevent him from taking out his spear by staying aggressive immediately after you do the deathblow that enters the spear phase. If you stop being aggressive there's a chance he takes out the spear.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
1) Sprint away from him, wait for him to do the gap closer, keep sprinting while he's recovering from the animation and heal
2) When you want to do a mikiri counter, simply press Circle/B without touching the left stick. This game by default dodges forward, instead of backwards like Dark Souls.
3) Seriously, avoid spamming buttons. I can't count the amount of times I got fucked by spamming a button on that boss. The dodge especially can get queued if you spam it.

1.Sprint away from him, wait for him to do the gap closer, keep sprinting while he's recovering, heal, then he magically recovers, jumps at me and hits me..
2. I am not touching the left stick, if I am in a position where I am deflecting I hover my thumb over the stick. I. AM. NOT. TOUCHING. THE. STICK. Press B/Circle when standing still, you will lunge forward. It has nothing to do w/ pressing the stick. Sometimes the mikiri counter just doesn't land, even when done at the same moment one instance to another.
3. I am not spamming buttons, I am not spamming dodge, I rarely use dodge because I'm not a soulsfag. The only times I dodge are when he does his charge up combat art, though usually I am just running away and then towards for a free hit.

Sentinel

Arcane

1.Sprint away from him, wait for him to do the gap closer, keep sprinting while he's recovering, heal, then he magically recovers, jumps at me and hits me..
2. I am not touching the left stick, if I am in a position where I am deflecting I hover my thumb over the stick. I. AM. NOT. TOUCHING. THE. STICK. Press B/Circle when standing still, you will lunge forward. It has nothing to do w/ pressing the stick. Sometimes the mikiri counter just doesn't land, even when done at the same moment one instance to another.
3. I am not spamming buttons, I am not spamming dodge, I rarely use dodge because I'm not a soulsfag. The only times I dodge are when he does his charge up combat art, though usually I am just running away and then towards for a free hit.
1. I can assure you there's a way to heal safely. I repeated that fight so many fucking times. If you sprint away from him he'll generally either 1) walk slowly towards you: not a good idea to heal here, because he'll most likely gap close soon, 2) do some combo where the final blow looks like he's done, but it actually has one additional gap close move, 3) do the sword ki blasts thing. I always healed while he recovered from the final gap close in 2)
2. You're just not timing the counter correctly then, which is weird because I have had counters that I thought I did too early but they went through right at the end of the animation.
It's really important that you take advantage of the mikiri opportunities, since he does the 4 pistol shots so often and it 90% of the time leads into a thrust. Don't despair though, because the final phase is easier imo.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
"since he does the 4 pistol shots so often and it 90% of the time leads into a thrust"

maybe for you, I've seen him do his pistol shot TONS of times and have only had him follow up with a thrust once or twice.

Sentinel

Arcane
Maybe it has to do with the spacing. Do you run up to him after he fires his pistol? I just stayed in place and legit 90% of the time he'd just thrust.

Cromwell

Arcane
Maybe it has to do with the spacing. Do you run up to him after he fires his pistol? I just stayed in place and legit 90% of the time he'd just thrust.

arent their attacks entirely random? Thats one of the problems the game has, you can memorize certain combos but not full patterns which leads to people getting stuck in an animation and then fucked when an unblockable move starts but they cant react.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

arent their attacks entirely random? Thats one of the problems the game has, you can memorize certain combos but not full patterns which leads to people getting stuck in an animation and then fucked when an unblockable move starts but they cant react.

We should go deeper :)

Sentinel

Arcane

Absolutely not. It works just like past From games, where the enemy AI will decide on attacks mainly depending on the space between you and it. And combos aren't randomly strung together either. At most they have a variation on the finisher, but the moves during the combo are always the same, just like past games.

MapMan

Arcane
Can anyone explain to me the 'running' strategies some people mention? I haven't had time to play the game yet but supposedly some people don't use the main mechanics of the game and simply run around bosses to attack them from behind/side and that's enough to kill everything. Is it true you can cheese everything like that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom