Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can I fail to achieve it by messing up before? Or is there a clear-cut point where the game kinda says "Ok, this was that, but hey, if you want to..."?
No you can't fail at getting the true ending. Basically what happens is that the game ends with an ending. And then you get to continue the story further and there are a lot of awesome reveals etc. They did it very poorly because a lot of people thought to get the true ending it's actually just post game stuff etc. Where the true ending path is actually part of the main story. It's really stupid how they went about it.
yeah. the story is simply incomplete with the regular "ending" they set up. too many questions unanswered.

Fred

Learned

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of people said:

I disagree that the "real" endgame is required to round out the game. Note that this doesn't mean I hate endgame, far from it.

IMO the... the... the non-endgame ending??... was actually fantastically executed. The heroes beat the big bad, but they got their shit pushed in while they did it. People died, important, lovable people that I was attached to (I can't tell you how upset I was to lose Veronica, even after Serena's apotheosis. I wanted my little nuke-in-a-suitcase!!). Families were broken, lives were shattered. Cities had been wiped off the map. The heroes made serious mistakes, and everyone paid the price! Mordegon was dead, the world was saved, rebuilding had begun, and it felt earned. I so rarely see this level of maturity in any RPG, much less those touting "adult" storylines. I would have been perfectly happy ending the game right there. Ironically, I was also perfectly happy continuing the story and working through the true endgame!

I think what makes the debate about endgame so different for DQ XI is that both were done so fucking well. Once you go into true endgame, it's not a bunch of grinding to kill some optional bosses that don't do shit for you but give some new shinies. You have a new, meaty plot, and a believable continuation of the story. I loved doing true endgame, especially as I built out character boards and began really unlocking the different synergies available. IMO Hendrik was one of the best here... I've historically hated the railroading that Taunt causes in other games, but here it's like his capstone ability, which feels exactly right. It's powerful, but it still has gaps that can be exploited by enemy abilities (making him tank every single hit of a mult-hit ability was such a fantastic, infuriating design decision).

Man I could go on forever about this stuff. I love this game!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might get the Switch version down the line. 16 bit version of the game, new stories and orchestrated soundtrack.

Some of these boss fights are close calls. The only problem I've had with any of the DQ games so far is I never know what level I should be. Like, at the point I'm at- Phnom Nonh- Most of my guys are only level 24, with the exception of Jade and Rab (both of them are 27). I'm not sure if I should grind. I know I would have had to for DQ1 and DQ4 (the only other two of the series I've played).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/dragon-...s-additional-new-features-and-dlc-voice-drama
Dragon Quest XI S introduces latest Japanese voice actors, additional new features, and DLC ‘Voice Drama’
posted on 03.27.19 at 09:58 AM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)
Ryokutya2089 and Games Talk (2).

Square Enix announced the latest Japanese voice actors, additional new features, and “Voice Drama” downloadable content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition, as well as debuted new gameplay footage, during the latest “Dragon Quest XI S Channel” broadcast today.

Get the details below.

Latest Voice Actor Announcements
  • Protagonist (Baby) (Cry) – Touma Saito (Ayumi Tsunematsu’s son)
  • Kai (voiced by Yuichi Nakamura)
  • Booga (voiced by Yuichi Nakamura)
  • Masked Martial Arts Tournament Announcer (voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi)
  • Indignus (voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi)
  • Queen Marina (voiced by Atsuko Tanaka)
  • Grand Master Pang (voiced by Ayumi Tsunematsu)
  • Don Rodrigo (voiced by Akio Ootsuka)
  • The Sultan of Gallopolis (voiced by Shigeru Chiba)
  • Avarith (voiced by Ryuusei Nakao)
  • Yggdragon (voiced by Keiko Han)
  • Tyriant (voiced by Norio Wakamoto)
  • Homirin (voiced by Yuka Ozaki)
  • The Seer (voiced by Miina Tominaga)
Additional New Features
  • Party members will follow you on the field.
  • You can talk directly to party members without opening the menu.
  • You can change the music from Orchestra to Synthesizer at any point by going to the sound settings in the menu.
  • You can dash with the ZR button.
  • By using the new “Horse Bell” item, you can call your horse at any time.
  • You can now gain experience points when your horse knocks away an enemy on the field.
  • You can change the battle speed to “Normal,” “Fast,” or “Really Fast.”
  • The quests from the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI in which you visit the worlds of past Dragon Quest titles will be included in the Switch version, but not without changes.
Voice Drama Downloadable Content

The following is a message from Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii, who was unable to appear on the program due to poor health:

“Thanks to everyone who made their voice heard, Dragon Quest XI S is being made to dive deeper into the story. And new story is also being added that allows you to experience each character as the protagonist. Through the unexpected sides of these characters and previously untold stories, I hope that you can be able to appreciate each character even more. I wanted everyone to further enjoy the drama of those characters, so I am actually making something as additional downloadable content. That something is a ‘voice drama.’ I would like to share more details now, but I should be able to share new information in June.”

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition is due out for Switch worldwide this fall. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is available now for PlayStation 4 and PC worldwide, and 3DS in Japan.

Dragon Quest XI S Channel: News Review and Voice Cast Announcement #2

Navigation

• 19:50 to 20:32 – Booga, Masked Martial Arts Tournament Announcer, and Indignus voice samples
  • 25:08 to 26:06 – Queen Marina, Grand Master Pang, and Don Ridrigo voice samples
  • 42:00 to 48:57 – 3D Gameplay
  • 49:07 to 51:55 – 2D Gameplay
  • 52:09 to 54:45 – New Features Gameplay
  • 1:00:57 to 1:06:15 – Vince Boss Battle Gameplay

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Damn, it's a shame about the Switch version. The graphics downgrade is HUGE. If only they patched those things into the PC version...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh, I would definitely want to play the 16-bit version. I won't buy a Switch for it though, so I guess I'll give it a try in 2 years or so on the Switch emulator.

I was referring more to all of the added content and the new endings though, it's a shame they'll only exist in the graphically-downgraded Switch version.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Honestly if Square are able to make a DLC upgrade on Steam for World of FF to the Maxima version but not for fucking DQ11 which actually sold moderately okay in the West, I'm going to be legitimately pissed to miss content on a game I love. I'll wait post Switch release since I could imagine the possibility that they're not saying much else about a multiplat release for the reason of pushing Switch sales but I dunno.

Modron

Arcane
Honestly if Square are able to make a DLC upgrade on Steam for World of FF to the Maxima version but not for fucking DQ11 which actually sold moderately okay in the West, I'm going to be legitimately pissed to miss content on a game I love. I'll wait post Switch release since I could imagine the possibility that they're not saying much else about a multiplat release for the reason of pushing Switch sales but I dunno.
They'll probably pull a nier automata game of the yorha edition and replace the base game in store with the goty version such that if you want to buy that version you will have to get steam to remove the old game and buy the whole thing all over again.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Finished the main game tonight. Ooph, that final fight was pretty tough (second to last boss only took 2-3 tries), but I had to try maybe 10 times before I finally got the last one. Was level 47, had to go do the hallelujah/electrolight thing once for some levels, and upgrade some gear at the forge before I got it done. Ended up using pretty much everyone. Eight/Serena always in the party. Started with Erick, got unlucky in second phase, switched to Jade, then Sylvando died so I switched to Rab, and when Rab was OOM, switched to hero for some omni-heals. Lost Sylvando to disruption wave directly into pepped up super magic attack. Some poor design choices in the first phase of the last boss IMO (randomly swings six times and can direct all six of them onto your healer(s), total RNG to either debuff him or just not get hit...), but overall the game was phenomenal and the rest of the game felt tuned perfectly in terms of challenge.

SOkqMoM.jpg

c9qSQdD.jpg

MIbwJMU.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Finished the main game tonight. Ooph, that final fight was pretty tough (second to last boss only took 2-3 tries), but I had to try maybe 10 times before I finally got the last one. Was level 47, had to go do the hallelujah/electrolight thing once for some levels, and upgrade some gear at the forge before I got it done. Ended up using pretty much everyone. Eight/Serena always in the party. Started with Erick, got unlucky in second phase, switched to Jade, then Sylvando died so I switched to Rab, and when Rab was OOM, switched to hero for some omni-heals. Lost Sylvando to disruption wave directly into pepped up super magic attack. Some poor design choices in the first phase of the last boss IMO (randomly swings six times and can direct all six of them onto your healer(s), total RNG to either debuff him or just not get hit...), but overall the game was phenomenal and the rest of the game felt tuned perfectly in terms of challenge.

Just curious. Were you using the Super Strong Monster Draconian Quest?

Silentstorm

Learned
Damn, it's a shame about the Switch version. The graphics downgrade is HUGE. If only they patched those things into the PC version...

Why would you not want to play it in 16-bit monocled glory?
I would, it would probably run on my potato PC without stutters, frame drops or any problem, plus, if the developers make a good job, 16-Bit games can be GORGEOUS and have fantastic art design while being a lot less resource intensive, i swear, if they announce that mode for PC, i will go back on my refund lightning fast.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I love the remake of V on ps2, but don't like VIII. Should I try this or it's pretty much VIII?

Hyperion

Arcane
I love the remake of V on ps2, but don't like VIII. Should I try this or it's pretty much VIII?
Normal Mode it's basically a prettier 8, but the 2nd half isn't as dull, and the bosses are a little bit more dynamic.

On Hard Mode, it's lots of fun, and surprisingly well balanced considering it's unique to the Western version. They put a lot of effort into it, but part 3 of the game does overstay its welcome a tad. Would have been a better game if the postgame didn't involve a good bulk of story, and certain major plot twists weren't reversed.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Normal Mode it's basically a prettier 8, but the 2nd half isn't as dull, and the bosses are a little bit more dynamic.

On Hard Mode, it's lots of fun, and surprisingly well balanced considering it's unique to the Western version. They put a lot of effort into it, but part 3 of the game does overstay its welcome a tad. Would have been a better game if the postgame didn't involve a good bulk of story, and certain major plot twists weren't reversed.
Ah damn, I just started the post-game and I think I know what you're referring to, but I hope I'm wrong. If it is what I think it is, then I enjoyed the twist, but I had a niggling feeling that they were going to pull a "just kidding!" at some point. At least it didn't happen in part 2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
EDIT: I think you guys may be confused and think the 3ds version is only in 8-bit? The 3ds version is 100% fully polygonal, with similar graphics to the 3ds remakes of DQ7 and DQ8. It has an optional 8-bit mode. The 3ds content being added to the Switch version is independent of the 8-bit mode, and will be available in triangles.

Who said I don't want the 8-bit version of the game? I would love for the 3ds version/content to be translated. I was referring to the new content that will be on the Switch version, which will be in both 8-bit and in triangles:

- new NPC character(s)
- new ending(s)
- new content taken from the 3ds version and transplanted into the Switch version, like when you visit the worlds of earlier DQ games in the 3ds version; this is now something you'll be able to do in the Switch version
- the 8-bit mode taken from the 3ds version will also be available in the new Switch version

etc. If none of this ever gets patched into the PC version then the only way to experience them will be on the graphically-inferior (and performance-inferior as well) Switch version. Mostly I just want it patched into the PC version because I know I'm never going to buy a Switch or buy the game again on Switch, so, basically I would never get to experience this content if it stays on the Switch.

Last edited:
I don't dislike this game. It's charming, nostalgic and looks good. However, I'm still unable to finish it even though I started playing it ever since it first came out. My pacing has been very slow, because the days I'd get motivated to play it are very infrequent, but I'm roughly 60 hours in.

The story, in particular, didn't immerse me. It's too generic for me, though that may be the game's selling point for others. Nor was the gameplay as entertaining to me as I thought it would be as someone who prefers turn-based JRPGs.

Although I have played plenty of classic JRPGs, this was my first DQ game. Perhaps this is part of the reason as to why I didn't enjoy it as much as others did.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I don't dislike this game. It's charming, nostalgic and looks good. However, I'm still unable to finish it even though I started playing it ever since it first came out. My pacing has been very slow, because the days I'd get motivated to play it are very infrequent, but I'm roughly 60 hours in.

The story, in particular, didn't immerse me. It's too generic for me, though that may be the game's selling point for others. Nor was the gameplay as entertaining to me as I thought it would be as someone who prefers turn-based JRPGs.

Although I have played plenty of classic JRPGs, this was my first DQ game. Perhaps this is part of the reason as to why I didn't enjoy it as much as others did.

This happened to me a couple times during the game: one gap lasted for three weeks and the other two months near the end.

I don't think it's this game, though. That seems to be the case with me these days. I was playing the latest DragonQuest hot and heavy but put it down over 3 months ago and can't seem to find time to pick it back up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom