Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Age 4 becomes BioWare's next big focus, as Anthem loses its lead creators
Lol, I love this headline. Is this to mean "the next big focus" of the efforts for trainwreck creation?

Cael

Arcane
Press a button something awesome happens.
giphy.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't know what this says about Bioware/EA, going from one always-online bullshit to the next, which is even more guaranteed to fail because DA fans are used to single-player romance simulators. It seems dumb in the most literal sense possible.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I really don't know what this says about Bioware/EA, going from one always-online bullshit to the next, which is even more guaranteed to fail because DA fans are used to single-player romance simulators. It seems dumb in the most literal sense possible.

Reminds me of the time everyone wanted to create the next WoW-killer, and they all failed. Some companies just can't help themselves burning a lot of money on retarded ideas

Cael

Arcane

Reminds me of the time everyone wanted to create the next WoW-killer, and they all failed. Some companies just can't help themselves burning a lot of money on retarded ideas
Reminds me of fuckers who tells others that it is easy to do something because other people have done it before. "I don't get why it is so hard for you to walk to the South Pole, son. Scott Amundsen did it!"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Assuming that there are still any left. They haven't delivered a good game in a decade,most of their fans are already old people with jobs and families that don't have time for this bullshit. And their reputation is pretty much garbage at this point,don't who the fuck will buy their games. it is one of the studios that actually makes sense for EA to kill it.

hpstg

Savant
They would probably have better luck if they have 15% of their budget to a 40 people team, with the same mandate as the big one (ie, create DA4).

It would be interesting to compare the end results.

Vorark

Erudite
Cannot wait for DA4 drama, the one thing Bioware never fails at delivering. :insert-mj-eating-popcorn-gif:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Live service is not a retarded idea, compared to single player it's incredibly, irresistibly more lucrative. Problem is the live service market is tiny in comparison. You fall in one Skinner box trap, you stay there for months, years, not interested in anything else.

I think publishers are slowly realizing that striking gold in this market is extremely rare and completely unpredictable. Here's hoping that after all the recent live service dumpster fires like F76, Anthem or Artifact (not to mention an even longer list of well received games that were quickly forgotten anyways like Apex or Division 2) publishers finally divert at least some of their resources back to single player games with a much more modest but a lot safer payout.

PS - although another high-profile live-service nuBioware game going down in flames again would be comedy gold.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't play multiplayer anything so what the fuck do I know, but I'd guess a lot of that is because it's a more limited market right? Not because of audience size but more the audience usually focusing on a select number of titles. With singleplayer people play something relatively quickly and move on to something else, but online shooter fans could theoretically play the same game for years. I know "PC gamers" who have basically played nothing but Counterstrike for 20 years.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Cannot wait for DA4 drama, the one thing Bioware never fails at delivering. :insert-mj-eating-popcorn-gif:
You see, it was fun when there was a chance the game would be good.

Why? Because there were fans, lots of them.

Most of us "long-time fans" have smashed the "meh" button on BioWare long ago. I haven't spilled shekels on BW since DAI - made for consoles on a potato.

So, for there to be drama, someone would have to care. To make fun of BioWare's fans, there has to actually be some.

The times they are a changing.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
While I'm not in the multiplayer-is-cancer camp, considering where RPGs come from, I nonetheless can't imagine another NWN happening today. 'Cause how do you sell the community more content when it's making its own?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Is multiplayer even possible other than as a coop campaign?

iirc Dragon Age Inquisition had cooperative multiplayer "campaigns". I'm not exactly sure how these campaigns worked, but wasn't it something with a couple of levels which could be beaten in 30-60 minutes?

Maybe DA4 becomes similar then: the whole story campaign will be split up into 10-20 individual levels, which are played one after the other, playable in MP Coop or SP with NPCs. Replayability is given by a handful storyline branches, opening up other levels or changing some situations.

Still better than MMORPG, but... :M
I don't see how this could serve as a "service game" or "constant money flow"... DLC weapons? companions? campaigns?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
devs are probably focussing on live service mechanics and a mobile money grab version

This studio should just die already.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is multiplayer even possible other than as a coop campaign?

Websites are reporting rumors that it's a full-on online game. I'd guess a Diablo style co-op loot thing but in the normal 3D perspective? Basically they're saying Anthem but fantasy melee. God knows how accurate these rumors are though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom