Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I watched now a "Let's Play DA:I Multiplayer"... considering it was just a small game mode added.

But whew... while it only offers a handful levels, the game mode already has the full online program: Ingame Shop, Achievements, Treasure Chests, buy crafting materials, equipment upgrades, new characters with ingame money or real money. Tbh I'm surprised how fleshed out they already made the multiplayer. That multiplayer alone must have taken 50% of the development time. The game sessions themselves (which are to be repeated to advance your character) were only 20 minutes long, and the gameplay basically "Arcade Dragon Age". Imho definitely a harbinger of what's to come in Dragon Age 4.

Is that bad? Debatable.
- The repetitive and bland gameplay in that multiplayer doesn't look that much different to the many repetitive and bland gameplay situations in DA:O.
- The combat and skills in that multiplayer don't look that different to the combat and skills in DA:O.
- Imagine (optimistically thinking) that in DA4 they make story-connected and longer levels (say a length of 1-2 hours). Now think about how the levels of DA:O were all separated from each other, and that you mostly had to progress linearly from A to B. Not much different to these multiplayer levels then.
- Imagine (optimistically thinking) that in DA4 they add a minimal amount of choices & consequences (2 dialogue options), which opens up a different path or location depending on the choice you make (also easy to implement in multiplayer). Now think about how 3/4 dialogue options in dialogues in DA:O ended up the same way. Would not be that much different either.

Objectively seen, that "dumbed down" full online version of a possible Dragon Age 4 wouldn't be that different to DA:O. We probably see more in DA:O than it really is. And we criticize their online approach because we expect something different. We expect them to build their next game on top of the other game (aka bigger, better, more choices, consequences, new skills, items, weapons, enemies, interaction). We expect them to improve on their games, as this would be the natural process of any growing organism. But they don't follow our expectations. All they do is to add multiplayer and monetization. Everything else stays the same. No real progress. That however doesn't make that possible DA4 necessarily bad, but also not interesting.

PS: uhm... I'm not sure why I wrote this. Just elaborating to understand the direction this is possibly going...

Is multiplayer even possible other than as a coop campaign?

Websites are reporting rumors that it's a full-on online game. I'd guess a Diablo style co-op loot thing but in the normal 3D perspective? Basically they're saying Anthem but fantasy melee. God knows how accurate these rumors are though.

After Anthem, if it is just online, I could see it being a Monster Hunter type thing in the open areas with dungeons you can go off into for dungeon crawling.

Although they're going to have to up their game even more so in the gameplay department than they already needed to, and they can't fuck up the loot system like they did Anthem if they're making another game built around it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Funny thing is the online melee route is kind of a crowded market now too, and a lot of them are free-to-play, so like with Anthem one wonders if they won't just get lost in the shuffle again. They'll have to make something really good, and I don't know if they can. The Bioware name only earns them an instant audience among singleplayer RPG gamers, so EA pushing them into other genres basically wastes the reputation buying Bioware got them.

Again though, these rumors could just be that. With that Star Wars game being an offline singleplayer thing, maybe the next DA will be as well. Who knows.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
My experience playing Dragon Age: Inquisition Multiplayer --

4ea.jpg

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
My friend wanted to try it once so I played as the bard and followed him around spamming different notes until we ran out of revives.
I thought it was pretty good I don't know why he didn't want to play it anymore after that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never-Tevinter Nights: https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-4-setting-all-but-confirmed-by-upcoming-short-story-collection/

Dragon Age 4 setting all but confirmed by upcoming short story collection
Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights backs up fan theories on the next game's location.

Ever since the ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition's final DLC, Trespasser, fans have been guessing which country the next game would take place in. In the final shot of Inquisition's closing storyline, the Inquisitor stabs a knife directly into the Tevinter Imperium on a map. Fans have of course speculated since then that Dragon Age 4 would head to the mage-ruled nation. An upcoming collection of short stories authored by several BioWare writers titled "Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights" lends a lot of extra credence to that theory.

Each Dragon Age game so far has been closely connected to a particular location. Dragon Age: Origins took place in Ferelden, Dragon Age 2 was famously confined to the city of Kirkwall, and Dragon Age: Inquisition was largely concerned with the Orlesian Empire. Given the ongoing struggle between mages and Templars in the Dragon Age universe, it would make sense for the next conflict to take place in the Tevinter Imperium. While every other nation that Dragon Age games have visited so far heavily polices magic users and their abilities, Tevinter is ruled by mages and often serves as the boogeyman underneath other countries' beds.

Dragon Age's current lead writer, Patrick Weekes, serves as the editor of the collection of stories, and tweeted out a link to the book's Amazon listing with a clarification that he is not in fact the sole author. Weekes has penned Dragon Age companion novels alone in the past and releasing fiction set in the Dragon Age universe prior to a new game release is far from a first for BioWare.

The Masked Empire, a novel that Weekes did write, was published 7 months prior to Dragon Age: Inquisition and revolved around several characters that later featured in important Inquisition story quests. It would seem to follow, then, that Tevinter Nights is likely the groundwork for stories or characters that will show up in Dragon Age 4. So far, there's no description of the book on its page other than a brief list of Weekes' credits so we can only guess who the characters on the front may be.

The collection of short stories published by Tor Books is set to come out on March 10th, 2020, according to Amazon.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tevinter of course is supah but at this point Bioware is a ruined husk of what they were. There is even no point at pointing fingers and laughing at romances because the object of mockery is dead.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Patrick Weekes has some strong willpower to not quit from his lead writer job, considering how much EA has been shoving the Dragon Age team around the last few years.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game will be fruity as helllll guys with 100% assurance they will have a ladyboy companion. It is the logical next step considering how the writing in this series is going.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I liked Dorian, I hope he's a party member :shittydog:

I am pretty sure he will be the only companion who returns from the previous games because all others have no reason to be in Tevinter.
edit: just realised Fenris exits...
The story will probably be that the dread wolf starts a rebellion among elven slaves in Tevinter while the Qunari start a new offensive.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I liked Dorian, I hope he's a party member :shittydog:

I am pretty sure he will be the only companion who returns from the previous games because all others have no reason to be in Tevinter.
edit: just realised Fenris exits...
The story will probably be that the dread wolf starts a rebellion among elven slaves in Tevinter while the Qunari start a new offensive.

Iron Bull could be there too, if he is not dead.

I kind want to play as the same protagonist from DA:I in this one since you lost a arm, it could adding some interesting mechanics.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh we all know what it will be. The protagonist will fighting along side the poor oppressed muslims qunari,liberating slave camps filled with liberal victims and fighting against the evul patriarchate while sucking the dick of your ladyboy mega chad companion!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom