Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian's email to the site that printed their denial of the earlier rumor: https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-iii-teased-by-larian/

Edit @ 20:57 GMT:

I’ve received a reply from Larian following my reaching out to them. An amusingly coy reply that I had a chickle with and appreciate. While they aren’t stating that Baldur’s Gate is in development, they aren’t denying it either.

I asked two questions, which were as follows;
  • Do Larian own the rights to the Baldur’s Gate IP?
  • Is Baldur’s Gate III currently in development at Larian?
This was the reply I received.

We have nothing more to share right now.

Enjoy the ride

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm kind of a tech retard, so explain to me: I notice that often in the past some hyping site will go online and some crafty techies will look at the source code of the site or whatever other witchcraft it is these guys do and it will be revealed beforehand what the project is about by accessing some information buried in the code.

Now, is that deliberate on part of whoever owns the site to create some further buzz because they know someone will figure it out or is that just a simple oversight or is there just no way to prevent this?

purpleblob

Savant
This is going to suck. I can't imagine how Larian humour and art style will work out well as BG. Besides, the Bhaalspawn Saga story is over, stop trying to milk it to death.

I already got my BG3 = Pathfinder: Kingmaker, so I don't give a flying fuck about this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm kind of a tech retard, so explain to me: I notice that often in the past some hyping site will go online and some crafty techies will look at the source code of the site or whatever other witchcraft it is these guys do and it will be revealed beforehand what the project is about by accessing some information buried in the code.

Now, is that deliberate on part of whoever owns the site to create some further buzz because they know someone will figure it out or is that just a simple oversight or is there just no way to prevent this?

They "prevented" it shortly afterwards: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...by-larian-studios.127856/page-14#post-6154202

Doktor Best

Arcane
Very confused as to why people are so excited about this.

1- Larian made it's name with a turn-based game and is now going to make a sucessor to the game that pioneered RtwP? If they make it turn-based they would be betraying the series roots and could've called their game just about anything else; if they make it RtwP, we have no reason to expect it to be good, since they never made such a game.

2- The writing and story in DoS ranged from mediocre to garbage. I didn't care for the tone at all. BG was far from a grimdark ultraserious franchise, but (thank god) it's a far cry from whatever DoS was.

3- Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and ToB tell a complete and finished story, there's no reason to continue the Bhaalspawn saga (is there even a feasible way to do it in current FR setting?). This makes me think people are creaming their pants just because it's D&D and Forgotten Realms? Why?

I'm saying this as someone who ranks BG 2 as one of my favorite games of all time. I've replayed that shit all the way through about 5-6 times, did an SCS run of BG 1 and 2 just 2 years ago. And I just can't bring myself to be excited for this. More like worried they'll take a shit over something I have fond memories of.

They could do a hybrid system. Obsidian has proven that it can work.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
This logo doesn't look like the old one,tho

9792.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Official press statement

“Hey! It turns out some online sleuths have discovered our latest project, so this post will act as an official announcement! The baldurs gate franchise is a beloved series, and we at larian are excited to do it justice. Of course, some elements of the game will be updated to reflect the modern world. Rooted in table top gaming, especially “dungeons and dragons”, we found that the previous baldurs gate installments focused too heavily on player choice. To bring the series up to snuff with modern, cinematic gaming, we have introduced a cast of original larian characters that will be interwoven into the story. These characters will have powerful abilities, and with modern gaming technology, far surpass anything a player would have been able to do in the original games. For hardcore old school fans, the choice to create a character is still there, but this wasn’t really a focus for us. We have also upped the immersive challenge the game provides, so instead of old fashioned dungeon crawling, expect environmental puzzles that all involve instant death! We are very excited to reveal more details at E3 this year.”

Aemar

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and ToB tell a complete and finished story, there's no reason to continue the Bhaalspawn saga.
Money could be the main reason behind a possible BG/Bhaalspawn sequel. There are people out there who want to capitalize on the fans' unquenched nostalgia for BG games. The fact that the Bhaalspawn storyline appears to have already been completed is nothing more than a technicality. Worst thing they could do would be to replicate Netherrealm's approach towards the latest MK releases.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

RickOmbo

Learned
Can't wait to play as a mortal offspring of Larian (he is a god of bad jokes) on a globe-trotting quest to find out what is the most hilarious punch line to the knock-knock joke. Btw, every NPC is going to have an opinion on the matter.

hexer

They edited out BG references from the video file.
Now there's some weird stuff in there like

"DOS_TeaserPage_041419JC (1)"
"Swen's Birthday Party"
"Takoyaki"
"Octopus"

They're definitively trolling us now :lol:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Probably a simple oversight. Very hard to expunge all references to the real name of a project everywhere and even if you do there is invariably a graphic designer who didn't get the memo/thinks what he does in photoshop is exempt.

Delterius

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom