Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest a JRPG for me...

Which JRPG should I play next?

• Shing Force 2

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Golden Sun

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Lufia 2

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Terranigma

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Secret of Mana

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Lunar: The Silver Star

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Shing The Holy Ark

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
So I have a shortlist of Console JRPGs I'm considering starting, and I'd like to get the input of the Codex to help direct my choice - all insights are welcome.

Beastro

Arcane
That reminds me, I should try Secret of Mana again. Got into it like 11 yeasr ago, got to Ice Country and then didn't get back to it.

v1rus

Arcane
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2
Shining Force 2

God, did I ever tell you guys how much I'm in love with Shining Force 2?

Ysaye

Arbiter
So I have a shortlist of Console JRPGs I'm considering starting, and I'd like to get the input of the Codex to help direct my choice - all insights are welcome.

Shining Force 2 is a really good game - lovely graphics for the time, fun combat - that is what I have voted for BUT it is an entirely linear (battle - town - battle - etc.) and basically a tactical rpg game as well, so if that is not your thing...

Do you have access to Shining in the Holy Ark? That is the only dungeon crawler of the lot, if you like Dungeon Crawlers. It is also supposed to be a really good - I want to play it one day.....

Lunar The Sliver Star...is this Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete? If so, that is a classic JRPG with lots of pure anime moments and loveable characters. Linear, pretty simplistic turn based system. "Bromides" (somewhat revealing, unauthorized photos of mostly the female cast) were a bit dodgy though :P.

Secret of Mana - if you are looking for an action RPG from this lot, I would go this one over Terranigma. The plot is a bit ho-hum, and whilst there are lots of options for weapons, only some are actually effective. Still...a fun game.

Skies of Arcadia - it has two cute girls!...and ummmm I haven't played it but if you are looking for a flying sailing ship RPG game then this is the one for you.

Golden Sun - A puzzle based RPG, I have finished it but it always felt like a chore to me. It was a game which was great for the gameboy advance and it looks like Shining force a bit but play shining force instead.

Lufia 2 - Never played it but people who I trust say it is a good game.

IceyD

Scholar
Skies of Arcadia is incredible if you use an emulator to speed up the battles. Everything else is A++

v1rus

Arcane
Golden Sun - A puzzle based RPG, I have finished it but it always felt like a chore to me. It was a game which was great for the gameboy advance and it looks like Shining force a bit but play shining force instead.

Same guys did it.

Loved the game back on when i played it on GBA, had a fun class system. But yeah, play SFII.

I'm leaning towards SF2 from the get go. Any mods recommended, or just play vanilla?

Regarding Skies of Arcadia Legends, I've kind of gone full autist mode on it for a while, in that I have the Gamecube version, which seems arguably superior to the Dreamcast original in most ways - except that it's vastly inferior when it comes to the sound quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNugQ37VUqw

Once you hear the lush Dreamcast orchestral score, that muffled dirty sock Gamecube shit cannot be unheard. I've been waiting with fingers crossed on an HD remaster, but a recent article with the original producer sounds like that's not on the radar: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/donrt_expect_a_skies_of_arcadia_port_or_sequel_anytime_soon

I'll wait on some more posts until I make the call - keep em' coming fellas!

Kaivokz

Arcane
I'm leaning towards SF2 from the get go. Any mods recommended, or just play vanilla?!
Only problem with the original game is difficulty. In that there really isn't any. You might lose a battle once or twice, but it will be due to RNG (eg Bowie gets double attacked twice in a row or something), and if you die you just teleport back to town and keep all exp earned. That said, it's still a really fun game, so... Oh, and it's pretty linear but don't think that means you shouldn't explore. There are secret areas (including entire hidden villages), secret characters, alternative class upgrade items, and if you start collecting mythril there is eventually a hidden place where you can forge weapons that can't be found anywhere else.

edit- I don't know about any difficulty mods, but I don't really recommend playing SF2 for the challenge. Better off getting a recent fire emblem game and playing on insane difficulty or something if you're looking for that.

As far as Skies of Arcadia, just play the DC version. I played it when it first came out and the original game is a masterpiece, so any further content is either unnecessary or will detract from the original. The faster speed is nice, but, as you've said, it's almost certainly better to play for an extra 2 hours with lush music than to play 45 hours with compressed shitty music quality.

I'm leaning towards SF2 from the get go. Any mods recommended, or just play vanilla?!
Only problem with the original game is difficulty. In that there really isn't any. You might lose a battle once or twice, but it will be due to RNG (eg Bowie gets double attacked twice in a row or something), and if you die you just teleport back to town and keep all exp earned. That said, it's still a really fun game, so... Oh, and it's pretty linear but don't think that means you shouldn't explore. There are secret areas (including entire hidden villages), secret characters, alternative class upgrade items, and if you start collecting mythril there is eventually a hidden place where you can forge weapons that can't be found anywhere else.

edit- I don't know about any difficulty mods, but I don't really recommend playing SF2 for the challenge. Better off getting a recent fire emblem game and playing on insane difficulty or something if you're looking for that.

As far as Skies of Arcadia, just play the DC version. I played it when it first came out and the original game is a masterpiece, so any further content is either unnecessary or will detract from the original. The faster speed is nice, but, as you've said, it's almost certainly better to play for an extra 2 hours with lush music than to play 45 hours with compressed shitty music quality.

I completely agree regarding Skies of Arcadia, only thing is, I own the GC version on real hardware, and don't have a Dreamcast. How good is Dreamcast emulation these days? As a rule, I always prefer real hardware when possible, but if Emulating Skies with a DC emualtor on PC is a viable option, I'd consider it.

Insert Title Here
I voted but my real answer is Uncharted Waters: New Horizons because not only is it the GOAT jrpg but it's an actual rpg, as in your stats/equipment/character sheet actually matter and if you don't like the main story you can run off to become a spice trader or pirate. While the main quest (there are six routes, you pick a protagonist at the beginning and each has their own campaign) for each character is linear, the side stuff is more than enough to keep you busy. I only played the SNES version though, not sure about PC.

Searching the forums and this obscure game is also barely known here, which is a crime, so I will take it upon myself to shill this game whenever I get the opportunity. Note: the first game is not nearly as impressive and can be skipped unless you REALLY want the lore.

Swigen

Arbiter
Xenogears_cover.jpg

I voted but my real answer is Uncharted Waters: New Horizons because not only is it the GOAT jrpg but it's an actual rpg, as in your stats/equipment/character sheet actually matter and if you don't like the main story you can run off to become a spice trader or pirate. While the main quest (there are six routes, you pick a protagonist at the beginning and each has their own campaign) for each character is linear, the side stuff is more than enough to keep you busy. I only played the SNES version though, not sure about PC.

Searching the forums and this obscure game is also barely known here, which is a crime, so I will take it upon myself to shill this game whenever I get the opportunity. Note: the first game is not nearly as impressive and can be skipped unless you REALLY want the lore.

You sir are beyond legit - I actually intended to include Uncharted Waters: New Horizons in the poll, but forgot, and can't seem to edit it now. I have access to both the Genesis and SNES version on real hardware - any preference?

Also, I've messed around with the game briefly before, and found it's systems quite involved. Any quick and dirty tips to help a scrub find his sea legs?

Insert Title Here
I'm not familiar with the Genesis version. The best character to pick for your first run is Ernst von Bohr, he's a Dutch cartographer and his campaign is literally just map the whole world, so you can complete the game with him simply by going around exploring, trading, fighting, etc. as you wish and filling out the map as you do.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Tales of phantasia still plays very well.
Super mario rpg
Bahamut lagoon (snes) is a rare gem
ignore secret of mana (obsolete as fuck), play seiken 3 and secret of evermore

The dept heaven series:
Riviera (gba)
Yggdra union (gba)(if you like this, there are many spinoffs)
Knights in the Nightmare (ds psp)
Gungnir (psp)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Lunar The Sliver Star...is this Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete? If so, that is a classic JRPG with lots of pure anime moments and loveable characters. Linear, pretty simplistic turn based system. "Bromides" (somewhat revealing, unauthorized photos of mostly the female cast) were a bit dodgy though :P.

I find it interesting when people dismiss Lunar games as generic as if that's a strike against them. They simply nailed the formula so perfectly and others were content to recycle it.

Also, if OP is considering emulation and from what I can see isn't going just for entry-level JRPGs everyone knows about I'd suggest Live A Live. Sadly never officially released in the west, but fan translations got around that. Anthology of seven (eight) short JRPGs varied in themes and approaches + final chapter where you choose who to play as. Contrary to popular opinion Octopath Traveler was not breaking any new grounds here. Killer soundtrack as well.

Curratum

Jesus, could you perhaps add some poll options that released after 1989? :D

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Out of those on your list I would say Lufia 2.
But it would help if you told us what you are looking for.

I'm not familiar with the Genesis version. The best character to pick for your first run is Ernst von Bohr, he's a Dutch cartographer and his campaign is literally just map the whole world, so you can complete the game with him simply by going around exploring, trading, fighting, etc. as you wish and filling out the map as you do.

Sounds like a smart starting caharacter - good read man.

lufia 2 is the best jrpg

I've heard it likened to a JRPG with Zelda-esque puzzles and dungeneerig, which sounds great to me.

Lunar is good, but I would recommend playing the Sega CD version first and later try the PS1 edition.
I have a model 1 Sega CD and a copy of Lunar, so I'm good to go.

Have you heard about the "Unworked Design" game edits? : https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

I've been trying to burn and get working the version of Lunar which reverts shit back to how it was before getting tweaked (read: facked) by western localization, but so far, I'm having issues. Seems like from the romhackers chagelist, Lunar was the least fucked with localization, so would you recommend jsut playing the default experience, or should I get that version working?

Out of those on your list I would say Lufia 2.
But it would help if you told us what you are looking for.

Not going to count the Zelda series as JRPG's, but as an idea that series is my jam when it comes to console gaming. This is indicative that I prefer exloration, dungeneering (is that a term), and puzzles, and detest shitty repetitive JRPG tb combat.

True that. JRPG's I'v played and loved previously are (that I can recall atm):
Phantasy Star I & II (found IV generic, but this is TB combat I can tolerate)
Shining Force (this is my SHIT!)
Chrono Trigger (enjoyed this fast paced, straight forward TB combat GOAT JRPG so far for me)
Final Fantasy VI (III NA)
Mother 1 (enjoyed more than Earthbound)
Earthbound
Skies of Arcadia Legends (got far, but never beat it. truly a special experience, and thus want to revisit it. Tied for GOAT JRPG for me)

Those I found solid:
Shining in the Darkness (liked it quite a bit)
Golden Sun (love the puzzle aspects, and Pokemon Djiin collection)
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Did not enjoy/couldn't get into/quit:
Mother 3 (seems cool, but found it a llittle too narrative focuses. Got maybe 8-12 hours in, and shelved it. Would pick up again)
Secret of Mana (got bored with the generic Weebo story beginning less than 4 hours in, didn't give it a chance sut will try again
Suiikoden 1 (beat it, was confused by the praise)
Dragon Warrior 1, III (generic)
Xenogears (quit <10 hours in, willing to give another shot as it seems cool as hell, but couldn't get past intial JRPG weebo hump)
Panzer Dragoon Sage (I'm ashamed to admit that I shelved this one, as I'm a dyed in the wool Sega fan - will definitely pick up again at some point)

I suppose what I'm more drawn to at the moment, is a predominantly retro (i.e pre PSX) summertime themed JRPGS, with a focus more on puzzles, exploration, and atmosphere (great music would be awesome, too). I have a diverse interest in gameplay styles, so the SRPG foundation of SF2 appeals to me, as does the Koei sim mechanics of Uncharted Waters, or the AAA presentation and execution of Lunar. What I'm not down with, is excessive, trivial , protracted tb battles, particularly if the narrative, music, or general atmosphere aren't enough to compel one to persist onward.

As an e example, I just completed Wiz 6 (Super Famicom port), spent 50+ hours on it, and well before the end was burnt out, and just wanted it to be over. What initially appeared tasty, what, with the robust char creation system, level design, etc., eventually turned into an autistic slog through neverending hordes of trash mobs, in order to complete random-ass silly objectives (bottle Oracle/Hookah pipe fetch quest, WTF?). I think a blobber with a more in depth, tactical approach to combat, while emphasizing exploration would have been more to my tastes, such as D&D POR, or Dark heart of Ukkrul.

Jesus, could you perhaps add some poll options that released after 1989? :D

...No

Straight up, I can't seem to edit the poll now, but for you, I would add:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Persona 5

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Not going to count the Zelda series as JRPG's, but as an idea that series is my jam when it comes to console gaming. This is indicative that I prefer exloration, dungeneering (is that a term), and puzzles, and detest shitty repetitive JRPG tb combat.

You should try Alundra, if you haven't already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom