Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saerain

Augur
Patron
There was more from last year.

latest

This year at E3 they were talking about backgrounds (corporate, street kid, and nomad) that can change your interactions with NPCs.
Oh, I had taken the talk of those backgrounds to imply that they'd replaced those choices on the right, or at least the Childhood Hero. Hm.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tytus

Arcane
https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-cyberpsychosis

Cyberpsychosis will be a part of Cyberpunk 2077’s story among the NPCs you meet, according to an interview with CD Projekt on Twitch. The developers haven’t yet decided whether you’ll be subject to those penalties yourself, though – maybe it’ll be a possibility, or maybe there’ll be a hard limit on those implants before you reach the point of no return.

I bet they won't bother with it for the main character. Especially that this article is a year old and again in the interviews that went out after E3 they said that you can't be pimped out like the gangs or go for a full body conversion.

There was more from last year.

latest

This year at E3 they were talking about backgrounds (corporate, street kid, and nomad) that can change your interactions with NPCs.
Oh, I had taken the talk of those backgrounds to imply that they'd replaced those choices on the right, or at least the Childhood Hero. Hm.
Yeah, I'm not sure if they've replaced those with what they were talking about this year. Although those things sounded like they figured into the game differently than the background; those options sounded like they figured into characters that'd show up in the world and whatnot, while the backgrounds sounded more like getting stupid options in Fallout and being a Malkavin in Bloodlines.

The Childhood Hero thing is interesting though. They cast Keanu, so you'd think he was a set character you'll always interact with, and maybe he is now. But that Childhood Hero option makes it seem like you might be able to have two other characters in that role too. Or maybe it just changes what you say to these people when you talk to them. But it could be that you basically get to pick your own True Romance Elvis.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
The Childhood Hero thing is interesting though. They cast Keanu, so you'd think he was a set character you'll always interact with, and maybe he is now. But that Childhood Hero option makes it seem like you might be able to have two other characters in that role too. Or maybe it just changes what you say to these people when you talk to them. But it could be that you basically get to pick your own True Romance Elvis.

If the childhood hero option still exists in the game as a mechanic and you will have Silverhand in your head. Then there no real option of choosing a childhood hero anymore. You need to pick Arasaka as your idol everytime for maximum digital butthurt from the rockerboy.

If the childhood hero option still exists in the game as a mechanic and you will have Silverhand in your head. Then there no real option of choosing a childhood hero anymore. You need to pick Arasaka as your idol everytime for maximum digital butthurt from the rockerboy.

Well, if it changes how you interact with them it'd still be a real option. It wouldn't be as interesting as completely changing who's in your head, but it'd also be more than nothing.

i recall reading that it doesn't exist anymore (childhood hero), and that Johnny Silverhand is the only one, by default.

Tytus

Arcane
imagine if an actual RPG developer had the Cyberpunk license.

I can actually. It would have to go through a kickstarter campaign that would gather around 1.5 mln dollars (or less). The game would probably have isometric perspective, RTwP, it would be without any voices, with a very limited soundtrack, with only a few models that would repeat over and over again. Also the enviroments would feel empty and the NPC would be stationary and wouldn't be subjected to routines or day and night cycle. It would probably have a good short storyline though with a lot variation and ways the player could finish it. It would be game that would sell around 100k to 500k copies in its lifetime, would have absolutely no impact on the mainstream, would not inspire more Cyberpunk games to be made, and would be bashed on the Codex for not being Plansescape Torment.

meatface

Novice
Actually I think the morality of Cyberpunk is an interesting topic. What would the differences be in the perception of moral/immoral action in a world where nationalism doesn't exist, objectifying oneself and others is the norm, and revenue-driven organizations shape the public's perceptions and order of the day?

For one thing, I guess causing physical injury would be seen as much less of an issue - you crush your legs in a car accident, you can replace them cheap and fast with mech legs. Losing an eye or both eyes is not such a tragedy as in our world. Your original teeth you can also go without and exchange for mech, as we saw in one of the first screenshots.

On the other hand, what about violence towards children? This has always been a taboo in every society in history. Would it be more relaxed in CP2077? Also, in a world where someone's consciousness can be uploaded and live on as an AI, the abortion of a pregnancy may look much more like a murder than the killing of a grown man or woman. How very Polish of me to come to this thought. :D

The genre as a whole explores morality by looking at a world in which the self is valued above all else, doesn't it? I think that you're right that things like objectification and mass consumption warp morality, but I'd say that the deeper problem is a disconnection from the religious ideals that (at least Western) society was built upon, which is where our concept of morality came from: every individual is sacred, not just ourselves, and we obligated to Being above all. I'm not trying to sound all pro-religion, but I don't think it's a coincidence that society is both increasingly atheistic and narcissistic, and technology is at least one of the culprits. Extend that into the dystopian future, where (as that one dev kinda clumisly said in an interview) people have lost all sense of reverence for their humanity and augment their body to suit their desires rather than accepting their natural flaws, and where does morality fit? What obligation to others or sense of humility will anyone have if you can simply mod your problems away? What should you not take when the power to do so is in your reach? It could be really cool social commentary, if CDPR wants to go there.

I think your idea about causing physical harm is probably true (if harming someone doesn't do them irreparable damage, you could justify doing so much more easily), but if current trends are any indication, abortion would be even less of an issue: the more people become detached and view the body as just a thing, the more willing they are to make choices out of convenience rather than principle. If an adult human is seen as an imperfect, weak creature that begs to be changed, who is going to view an undeveloped body as anything worth protecting?

Cyberpshychosis is ableist and problematic. Why are you such a garbage person?

I'm fully expecting it to be cut. Especially that CDPR said that there is a limit of what body modifications you can install. They used the Maelstrom gang as an example that you can't reach their levels. Imho if cyberphychosis appears to any extent it will be either part of the main story or in some side quest, but will not affect the player character.

Which is a shame. It would be cool to overdose on body impants and go full psycho. They could even implement a pop-up window where the game would warn you (you are running out of humanity points do you wish to continue?) or something like that. It could even be paired with the immortality mechanics. That after you go psycho and get killed - you wake up some time later with many of your implants stripped as a balancing mechanic and also a punishment for going overboard.

Man, now I'm wishing that you could over-augment yourself, and the game would start doing things like making you see friendly NPCs as hostiles, but in such a way that it was indistinguishable to the player, so you'd be compelled to defend yourself. You could have other hallucinations or even get warnings about needing to consume certain drugs just to stay alive, and maybe some of them would be true, but you couldn't know which ones -- some Eternal Darkness-style loss-of-sanity shit. I feel like this is making me more psychotic IRL just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-romance-options/

Finally some real talk, about the most important feature of the game:

Cyberpunk 2077 will have more romance options than The Witcher 3

Since it's your character, you have more freedom with romance in Cyberpunk 2077.

nJjeb4AwBLttLmWSpFsdVY-320-80.jpg

CD Projekt Red has said it's working to give players a ton of options when creating their characters in Cyberpunk 2077, including a range of gender expressions, and its lead quest designer has said these choices will mean way more romance options than the strictly heterosexual relationships featured in The Witcher 3.

A redditor who goes by magired1234 shared what appears to be a Twitter DM conversation with Paweł Sasko, a lead quest designer at CDPR. In the snippet shared, Sasko says players can expect to see whole plotlines involving NPCs that might be romantically interested in your character, and that they'll be "similar" in depth and scope to those found in The Witcher 3.

But because Cyberpunk 2077 will give players free reign to define their character, romance options have been expanded to accommodate for this as well.

CD Projekt Red clarified to us further: "Romancing is something heavily present in Cyberpunk, and players will be able to form meaningful connections with other characters as well as go for one night stands."

That'll be true no matter the gender or sexuality of your chosen character, too.

"Since we're not bound by a predefined character like in The Witcher anymore, the game will feature romance options going beyond heterosexual," CDPR said.

These are all promising things to hear, and it will be interesting to see how different characters' romances play out once we get our hands on Cyberpunk 2077 next year.

I don't really care for romance options, but if they are doing it - I wish they would either make one or two, but really expand it and make it interesting as this kind of feature can be in an RPG.

Or tie it to the mechanics of the game somehow. Like for example - people's sexual preferences could be based on a level of cyberware you have installed. I mean that one girl likes guys that look more organic, but other that are pimped by impants. And the 'ganic liking girl will dump you if install too many stuff because it would be a constant turn off for her. You know stuff like that.

Abhay

Augur
Romance options the last thing I want to experience in a video game. Is this really necessary to include in the game? Utter pointless addition. Talk about more freedom and options in missions.

norolim

Arcane
Trying to lure bioware romance audience.
Yeah, what could go wrong? After all, Bioware closed their forums to improve communication and transformed into an insignificant mmo studio, because they wanted to. So it must be a good idea for CDPR, to go the same path.

S.torch

Arbiter
Nobody is forcing you to use the romance options, really. I like the fact that they include it, is more content. And stop shitposting about Bioware, CD project already put romance options in The Witcher and they were great.

Tytus

Arcane
Trying to lure bioware romance audience.
Yeah, what could go wrong? After all, Bioware closed their forums to improve communication and transformed into an insignificant mmo studio, because they wanted to. So it must be a good idea for CDPR, to go the same path.

Witcher 3 had like 5 romance options that mattered (counting with the expansions) this probably will have 10 or more, because they need to cater to all those trans gay players that will buy their game. All six of them.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is this really necessary to include in the game? Utter pointless addition.
It is a necessity when you are trying to sell to the mass audience. A portion of it expects such features and even likes them in some retarded fashion, but that isnt important. Whats important is that they shell out the dollars.
CD Projekt isnt making the game for you.

the religious ideals that (at least Western) society was built upon, which is where our concept of morality came from:
All wrong. Western society was built despite the religious ideals, and the morals are far older then any religion, which only tries to usurp the place of "morality creators" to get more influence over people and so more money and prestige and privileges. Which is immoral, btw.

Morality itself is older then Homo Sapiens and even older then hominids entirely. And is still evolving as we evolve and our societies and environments change. Religion is a fart in the wind compared to these times scales, mate. And it certainly did not bring about or cause greater appreciation of individual.

S.torch

Arbiter
Is this really necessary to include in the game? Utter pointless addition.
It is a necessity when you are trying to sell to the mass audience. A portion of it expects such features and even likes them in some retarded fashion, but that isnt important. Whats important is that they shell out the dollars.
CD Projekt isnt making the game for you.

the religious ideals that (at least Western) society was built upon, which is where our concept of morality came from:
All wrong. Western society was built despite the religious ideals, and the morals are far older then any religion, which only tries to usurp the place of "morality creators" to get more influence over people and so more money and prestige and privileges. Which is immoral, btw.

Morality itself is older then Homo Sapiens and even older then hominids entirely. And is still evolving as we evolve and our societies and environments change. Religion is a fart in the wind compared to these times scales, mate. And it certainly did not bring about or cause greater appreciation of individual.

*tips fedora*

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apart from one key detail (which certain political factions are busily working to "correct"), and considering numerous other factors you haven't mentioned, you just described the world we are living in today. The answer is fairly straightforward: There would barely be any differences in perception at all
The public perception is not so even and not so universally approving, neither are augmentations so widespread.

But I agree regarding the surveillance aspect, we are getting into cyberpunk territory. There is also the cryptocurrency, 3d printing, "AI" and robotics efforts, but I think we are still a much different society than what we will be when this and other technologies mature.

Tytus

Arcane
But I agree regarding the surveillance aspect, we are getting into cyberpunk territory. There is also the cryptocurrency, 3d printing, "AI" and robotics efforts, but I think we are still a much different society than what we will be when this and other technologies mature.

Watch Dogs 3 - best Cyberpunk game ever? :P

:philosoraptor:

meatface

Novice

At least for what I was getting at, I think you might be associating organized religion too closely with the broader idea of religion/spirituality/whatever gay shit you want to believe that says that you aren't the centre of the universe/etc. Exactly what inherent in the world tells you what is right and wrong without a spiritual element? It isn't rationality, which some people might blindly assert these days, as practicality often favours choices that go against morals. The idea that we are part of something more than our individual self is something that has crossed cultures and specific religions, but it is a religious idea fundamentally; you can tell so, because it isn't intrinsic in pagan or atheistic systems of belief.

And obviously, religion has been misused in the name of self-interest, but that's a fault of individuals, not the idea itself. The idea of banks isn't inherently bad just because some banks are scummy and caused a financial collapse, for example.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
but I think we are still a much different society than what we will be when this and other technologies mature.

Wow, thats like... deep.
Imagine that, when cybrpunk technologies become magically available... the human society will be different.
Fuck me, who could have ever imagined that!!! You're the proper fucking Nostradamus here Awesomebutthole. Tell us more of your incredible two synapses visions of the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom