Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Honestly, I felt that with the turn-based mod animations turned up really fast combat ended up not taking that long. You can lead off with charge on every melee character, for example, which is often enough to destroy kobolds and other trash mobs instantly. Later on, just cast spells on them

Only problem is my team looks like Angela Merkel attending a public event ...

Second problem being : "i can't turn off the fucking weather", who the fucking hell designed that shit ?

It's playable, even enjoyable but there is quite a list of serious flaws, even after one year of patches and fixes ...
If "I can't turn off the weather" is what you'd consider a serious flaw, let alone a flaw at all, you're in the wrong place.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Weather effects are pure
incline.png

The only issue I have with them is that there should be a lot more, from scorching sun to persistent mist, and it should affect overland travel, too.

Ruchy

Scholar
It's things like weather and terrain that might actually give the ranger a purpose in the game (outside of being a machine gun). I liked it but I think it could be built upon more.

deuxhero

Arcane
Only thing wrong with weather is you can't see it on the world map.

Finished the troll part. Giant (and Troll by extension) being a humanoid subtype in Pathfinder combined with their low will really makes them go down quickly to a caster party. Hideous Laughter and especially Hold Person (which enables CDG for near instant kill) just destroy them, and since they're level 2 spells you've got plenty by this part.

I love Kingmaker, and can appreciate some good simulationism here and there, but I do agree that the weather thunderstorms are pure unadulterated horseshit from a design perspective.
It's more a case of, why doesn't this game have a speed-up-time feature like Pillars...

Well, it sort of does now. It still didn’t fix the thunderstorm bullshit though.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
These weather effects was nerfed at least 3 times already. And there are still people who whine about them.

Yosharian

Arcane
These weather effects was nerfed at least 3 times already. And there are still people who whine about them.
But it's not about the effect, it's that the effect effectively brings nothing interesting to the table outside of combat, and thus isn't interesting from a non-combat perspective.

If all I want to do is travel halfway across the map, and that takes 4 times as long because there happens to be a thunderstorm in play, how is that an interesting game mechanic?

It's interesting in combat because it makes you consider different strategies, because your melee characters can no longer reach enemies as easily, for example.

But outside of combat it is literally just a 'this takes longer' effect. Even if the effect is reduced, that doesn't solve the problem, it merely reduces it.

Codex Year of the Donut
But it's not about the effect, it's that the effect effectively brings nothing interesting to the table outside of combat, and thus isn't interesting from a non-combat perspective.

If all I want to do is travel halfway across the map, and that takes 4 times as long because there happens to be a thunderstorm in play, how is that an interesting game mechanic?

It's interesting in combat because it makes you consider different strategies, because your melee characters can no longer reach enemies as easily, for example.

But outside of combat it is literally just a 'this takes longer' effect. Even if the effect is reduced, that doesn't solve the problem, it merely reduces it.
Rest

Daidre

Arcane
Outside the combat it is still -6 Perception penalty that means possible DC failures at some hidden loot on unexplored map. After duration nerf light version never stay longer than 1-1.5 minutes. Slowing version is even shorter and runs out in 30s or so.

Yosharian

Arcane

Rest
Resting has a time penalty attached to it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Rest
Resting has a time penalty attached to it.
Exactly. That makes weather a mechanic with a meaning. Just because you being a part of phone gaming generation does not like it, it is not our problem. Go continue playing your phone games if you don't like to play proper slower PC games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love Kingmaker, and can appreciate some good simulationism here and there, but I do agree that the weather thunderstorms are pure unadulterated horseshit from a design perspective.
Bard thunder-caller gets bonus lightning damage if he is in storm... and near large air elemental.
So do Druids spells Call Lightning and Call Lightning Storm.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If "I can't turn off the weather" is what you'd consider a serious flaw, let alone a flaw at all, you're in the wrong place.

When it halves the party movement in and out of combat and cripple the perception skill as well, i call it a major nuisance, specially when it happens as often as in this game.
Oh, it's a major nuisance alright. It's great.
Only thing wrong with weather is you can't see it on the world map.

Finished the troll part. Giant (and Troll by extension) being a humanoid subtype in Pathfinder combined with their low will really makes them go down quickly to a caster party. Hideous Laughter and especially Hold Person (which enables CDG for near instant kill) just destroy them, and since they're level 2 spells you've got plenty by this part.
Yeah, one thing I dislike about Pathfinder is that things that need stuff like acid to kill will always be killable by any caster, because Lvl 0 spells are a thing and they're infinite. In some games it's a genuine fear that you'll run out of ways to actually kill the fuckers.

Daidre

Arcane
Yeah, one thing I dislike about Pathfinder is that things that need stuff like acid to kill will always be killable by any caster, because Lvl 0 spells are a thing and they're infinite. In some games it's a genuine fear that you'll run out of ways to actually kill the fuckers.

Until the ch6 where Owlcats decided to troll players with the Troll who casts Resist Energy on himself)

Shadenuat

Arcane
in the system where alchemists exist wizords having cantrips is honestly not a problem at this point

Shadenuat

Arcane
yeah kinetics are even worse

I don't think vancian system can be entirely engaging and compliment resource management of the game when other classes just ignoring it exist and are so easy

if you have vancian system stick to it and items/consumables for main source of important tactical decisions, period

Lambach

Arcane
yeah kinetics are even worse
I don't think vancian system can be entirely engaging and compliment resource management of the game when other classes just ignoring it exist and are so easy

I don't get this argument. A Wizard gets Haste and/or Stinking Cloud at level 5, both of those being game-changers. We're talking about a powerful mass disable that your own party is immune to if you combine it with a spell from a level 5 Cleric and a spell that effectively (at that point in the game) doubles the damage output of your Fighters/Rangers/Barbarians/hard hitters in general. On the other hand, a Kineticist at level 5 gets..... +1d6 damage to a single-target blast that he might whiff anyway?

The Vancian system still works, Kineticists or Alchemists being able to ignore it means very little when their shit is so weak compared to Vancian casters. Up until high levels, anyway, but that point, D&D as a whole breaks completely, so w/e.

Yosharian

Arcane
Exactly. That makes weather a mechanic with a meaning. Just because you being a part of phone gaming generation does not like it, it is not our problem. Go continue playing your phone games if you don't like to play proper slower PC games.
It's a shame you're incapable of grasping the point I'm trying to make.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom