Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

passerby

Arcane
I have six icons on the desktop, don't have to manage shit, just click an icon, then another inside the launcher and don't have to remeber a single password.
So, dozen accounts, managing, and remembering passwords are clearly issues that don't exist, you lovely genius.

Would it be slightly more convenient if I had it all on Steam ? Sure, but Valve is the only company that could stop it.
It's a business not a charity though, just like publishers, so it's not going to happen until it loose a significant part of market share.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A game that's already released but not out on steam is just going to get pirated, not wishlisted.

People just don't buy games if they're not on Steam, but Steam is totally not a monopoly!!!!!!!!!!!! Bro, totally it isn't!!!!!

And this is a good thing! If people buy from only one company that is a good thing for everybody! Believe me, I'm totally not a braindead unpaid shill. Totally not in love with Gaben's cock.

Oh, by the way, I was looking at Amplitude Studios and all their games are exclusive to Steam, with Endless Space being exclusive for 7 years already.
But if a game is exclusive for 1 year on something else than Steam then it's the end of the world.

Excuse me, not exclusive on Steam, it's Steam-only. Does that make you less butthurt, steamtards? If we call it Steam-only instead of Steam-exclusive? Even though no matter what you call it, it means that one can't get the game without having to use Steam. And somehow this is a good thing. Being forced to use a client is good if the client is Steam because Steam is the best client, even though I don't give a shit about any of the so awesome features it has. Yeah, it's soooooo good.

Or maybe Steam-only is not correct either? Because theoretically they CAN release their games somewhere else too. Yeah, that must be it. Let's not be hasty. 7 years is not THAT long. Could happen anytime now. It's perfectly fine. Much better than waiting just 1 year for an Epic exclusive to end. I mean, I can wait 7 years, but 1 year is too much.

J1M

Arcane
So after the Steam release, the more people will buy it, and making more money to Valve. And of course the developer.

This is how Valve sells it, but a gamer wishlistig a game mentally moves it into skip and wait for a sale notification email category.
It'll sure help to sell more on Steam, but I have doubts it'll help to make more money for the develeper than D1P on Epic would.
I suspect it also encourages many people to do neither, which they don't talk about. Overall it probably doesn't affect sales that much either way.
Steam pages for games that aren't on Steam turns Steam into the single store solution. Consumer behavior will quickly go from "oh I have to install this other launcher to play", to "oh, I have to wait until the REAL release".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But if publishers want to push additional launchers on me that aren't Steam or GoG Galaxy,
A game that's already released but not out on steam is just going to get pirated, not wishlisted.

By the way, what happened with "If Epic had all the features of Steam it would be fine"? No more standards then?

Guess you gave up on that bunch of bullshit and started admitting exactly what I was saying from the start, that no matter what steamtards will be steamtards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-epic-store-library-finally-has-a-list-view/

The Epic Store library finally has a list view
Steam isn't the only platform to get a library update this week.

Steam's big library overhaul entered beta earlier this week, but not to be outdone, Epic has also updated its store with a new library feature: there's a list view now.

It's not quite as comprehensive as Steam's update, though with far fewer games than Steam, the Epic Store doesn't exactly need a way to sort by tags. The new list view is pretty basic: you can sort games alphabetically or by selecting "recent," which I assume bumps games you've recently launched or purchased to the top. You can also filter out uninstalled games.

Have a peek at my library:

MGhXsS3vzD8m4NA5mGMueG-650-80.jpg

Exciting, isn't it? In all seriousness, though, this does make the library view much better for anyone with more than a handful of games on the Epic Store, such as anyone who has been picking up the weekly free games.

Another recent new feature is play time tracking, which can now be seen by hitting a game's options menu, and is displayed in an aggressively faint shade of grey.

Up next on the roadmap are changes to the storefront and an in-game overlay, which will at first be used to allow in-game purchases to be made without alt-tabbing. Epic is also working on 'mod support,' which sounds similar to Steam Workshop:

"We're adding the support for game modding communities. Players will be able to browse a catalog of player and developer made mods for their games. Players will be able to auto-install mods into games they own, that are managed by the Epic Games launcher or download the files separately for other games."

Further away on the roadmap are features anyone used to Steam will be familiar with, such as achievements, wishlists, and user reviews. You can see what Epic's up to on Trello.

passerby

Arcane
Instead of some subtle frame, or background highlight for installed games, they have everything else dark as fuck and hard to recognize, even titles text is dark and hard to read.

Nothing really matters when you have just two dozens freebies there, but the extend of their incompetence is as depressing as this library screenshot.
They've literally went out of their way to make it worse than any other store.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They needed several months to bring this Epic Store update? XDDDDD It will be 2025 by the time they reach Steam's current featureset.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
People just don't buy games if they're not on Steam, but Steam is totally not a monopoly!!!!!!!!!!!! Bro, totally it isn't!!!!!

If people choose to buy from one place and not the other, it's not a monopoly, it means they have a better product.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Yeah, congratulations, you acknowledge the existence of GOG.
Guess that means you didn't literally say "if a game is not on some specific place(s) where I buy from then I'll just pirate it".
So, the first to do it are fine, any others can just fuck off?

If people choose to buy from one place and not the other, it's not a monopoly, it means they have a better product.

The product is the same. It's the GAME. Only steamtards think the product is the client. Only steamtards WANT a client. Cuz "it makes the gaem better!!111".

See this:

You realize that means steamtards will refuse to buy from a developer who releases only their own website, just because it's not on Steam? And that they think that's a good thing to do and how it should be done?

Hurrr, yeah, it's not a monopoly, but everyone buys there. The difference is gigantic, bro.

Then what's the point in any others existing? No, really, if Steam is the best with the "better product", and people just pirate anything that's not on Steam why would anything else exist?

Cromwell

Arcane
So, the first to do it are fine, any others can just fuck off?

yes. there are two ways to make money of off things, be the first or be better than the rest. That is all. Epic didnt manage that, what they did manage was being annoying as in "I am toad sweeny you buy from me now you pleb!" which was met with increased piracy.

Who in his right might thought that exclusives on pc have a large impact on success when everyone can just pirate things, especially after you pissed off a large part of your potential consumers by trying to force them to buy from you. the impotent mewling from you or toddy wont change a thing. You conviniently forget that steam also wasnt the first shop to get games from, piracy was. Somehow steam managed to overcome piracy and got the poeple to buy from them.

Now epic is here and all I can see is impotent mewling instead of things that make me (the guy whose money you want) happy. As I said many pages earlier, you either suck me off or you fuck off because I dont need you. What I need is games and theres a lot of ways to get them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
yes. there are two ways to make money of off things, be the first or be better than the rest. That is all. Epic didnt manage that, what they did manage was being annoying as in "I am toad sweeny you buy from me now you pleb!" which was met with increased piracy.

Who in his right might thought that exclusives on pc have a large impact on success when everyone can just pirate things, especially after you pissed off a large part of your potential consumers by trying to force them to buy from you. the impotent mewling from you or toddy wont change a thing. You conviniently forget that steam also wasnt the first shop to get games from, piracy was. Somehow steam managed to overcome piracy and got the poeple to buy from them.

Now epic is here and all I can see is impotent mewling instead of things that make me (the guy whose money you want) happy. As I said many pages earlier, you either suck me off or you fuck off because I dont need you. What I need is games and theres a lot of ways to get them.

I really do wonder how big the numbers are for people morally okay with piracy who bought on Steam for its features. It's a genuine question, and I don't think anyone knows the answer. In either case though there's a sizable number of people who are not morally okay with piracy, and exclusives will work on them (as shown throughout gaming history). Exclusives are the third way to make money, in addition to your first sentence. Do you think Epic's paying for them just for shits and giggles? Do you think Sony and Microsoft do? They influence consumer behavior, obviously.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
or be better than the rest.

Hmm, really? How about these?
But if publishers want to push additional launchers on me that aren't Steam or GoG Galaxy,
These don't account for quality. It's either Steam or nothing.

You conviniently forget that steam also wasnt the first shop to get games from, piracy was.

Actually, if you're not a newfag, you might remember when you could buy physical games from physical stores, something that Steam single-handedly killed.

Amusing that steamtards think that somehow steam invented selling shit. Imagine the genius of Gaben, to invent selling and save PC gaming in one swift move. :lol:

What I need is games and theres a lot of ways to get them.

Yeah, a lot of ways. Like, the many games that are available on Steam only. So many ways to get those. Well, I guess you'd think it's absolutely fine for me to pirate games that are exclusive to Steam as well, right? Since Steam is not "sucking me off", I don't need it, so I might as well pirate the games. Am I getting this right here?

Except, actually, I don't even consider pirating Steam-exclusive games. They can just fuck off.

Also, no, what you need is a client that you like, just like all the steamtards. If it was about games, and about having access to games, you'd buy the games no the client. And you'd not be fine with games being released in only one store.
Steamtards can't quite comprehend that most likely none of Epic exclusives will stay exclusives. Meanwhile, there are a fuckton of Steam exclusives that have been exclusives for YEARS which means close to zero chance they'd be released anywhere else.

Cromwell

Arcane
I really do wonder how big the numbers are for people morally okay with piracy who bought on Steam for its features. It's a genuine question, and I don't think anyone knows the answer. In either case though there's a sizable number of people who are not morally okay with piracy, and exclusives will work on them (as shown throughout gaming history). Exclusives are the third way to make money, in addition to your first sentence. Do you think Epic's paying for them just for shits and giggles? Do you think Sony and Microsoft do? They influence consumer behavior, obviously.

Yes if you take piracy out you have exclusives, you then have a monopoly for these games as long as they are exclusive. Since that takes out all competition I didnt account for that. But peoples morales are their own and if they dont want to pirate thats their choice. I dont think they are that many on the games market (but I could be wrong since as you said we have no numbers on that).

you would need date for people that want game x, but dont want to pirate so bought it off epic. and these people would need to be split into groups of "dont give a fuck" and "buy from epic but only exclusives because they hate them for it"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom