Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pics in spoiler.
lPjdY4l.jpg

oPgw3F1.jpg

Help :negative:

Prime Junta

Codex isn't a monolith guy. I never said anything about the game's challenge. I will die on this hill though. Making it literally impossible to progress unless you manage your money perfectly or have the correct skill build for begging is retarded.

Butter, with the greatest respect, if you can't scrape together rent in the first day you're ... I don't know what you are, but in all the myriad times I've played through the first day, I did not fail in that even once.

You can get the 130 réal down to 70 with Savoir Faire or Authority + Esprit de Corps. You can gouge the whole thing out of Joyce. Evrart will straight-up give you a check you can trade in for 25 at Frittte, and you can scrape together the rest by collecting bottles, postcards, other random junk, and pawning it. Kim will pawn some nice hubcaps he confiscated for you. And I'm probably already forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Tigranes

Arcane
its not about being unable for me, Prime Junta - i assume that kim bails you out day one even if you fuck up everything else. the issue is that its surprising disco, with so much freedom and failure states, has no response at all to a hobocop option that is blatantly dangled in front of you.

the game basically suggests to you that you can try to tough it out outside, then wont even let you try. i would be fine with dude trying to find a nook somewhere then dying from exposure or getting humiliated and robbed or Kim telling you he really wont have it and drag you back.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Codex isn't a monolith guy. I never said anything about the game's challenge. I will die on this hill though. Making it literally impossible to progress unless you manage your money perfectly or have the correct skill build for begging is retarded.

Butter, with the greatest respect, if you can't scrape together rent in the first day you're ... I don't know what you are, but in all the myriad times I've played through the first day, I did not fail in that even once.

You can get the 130 réal down to 70 with Savoir Faire or Authority + Esprit de Corps. You can gouge the whole thing out of Joyce. Evrart will straight-up give you a check you can trade in for 25 at Frittte, and you can scrape together the rest by collecting bottles, postcards, other random junk, and pawning it. Kim will pawn some nice hubcaps he confiscated for you. And I'm probably already forgetting a bunch of stuff.
Part of the problem is that the game in no way signposts that you're going to be fucked if you can't make rent. There are seemingly quite a few places you could presumably sleep if the Whirling isn't an option (even Kim's car parked right outside), but for some reason none of these is allowed. There's no wait function either, when basically every other isometric RPG includes one, so I don't have the option to just stand around for 6 hours until morning comes either.

vota DC

Augur

Part of the problem is that the game in no way signposts that you're going to be fucked if you can't make rent. There are seemingly quite a few places you could presumably sleep if the Whirling isn't an option (even Kim's car parked right outside), but for some reason none of these is allowed. There's no wait function either, when basically every other isometric RPG includes one, so I don't have the option to just stand around for 6 hours until morning comes either.

No problem with that, just give a gameover pr an ingame warning like Morrowind. Being in a doomed game without knowing it was quite usual in older game, even in Ultima Underworld (in that case you had to do very stupid things like throwing a Cabirus's talisman in the water).

Popiel

Arcane
Patron

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I only somewhat agree with the low INT build critiques. I’m playing a high PSY/PHYS character (1/5/4/2 if I remember correctly), but I don’t find it so flawed. I kind of interpreted it more as my character being completely burnt out and encephalopathic with moments of clarity that aren’t unexpected in someone in a deranged state.

However, I don’t know how this looks when combined with a non-PSY build. I feel like Inland Empire makes the lack of conversation skills or encyclopedic knowledge feel like it makes sense - as if the character isn’t properly in touch with reality and that causes him to be disconnected, but not outright stupid or dumb in terms of being low IQ.

Skills are situational. It wouldn't be humanly possible to script everything. So going on massive extremes can lead into situations like that.

And the thing is, if you fail the checks in the background, you won't even know that you failed.

Kyl Von Kull

The problem starts with the ruleset. If they would cut one of the attributes and group skills under Int/Mental/Physical, it would work much better, without any additional scripting and playtesting for extreme builds.

Right now, it seems that some skills are only tagged as physical, because they wanted 6 skills per attribute. So you can make a protagonist with dumbass attributes, but he'll end up having decent level of skills that clearly require brains. And those skills talk to you, often mixing with dumb dialogue. :|

Last edited:

Syvere

Educated
Just got this. Would 4 2 2 4 + Logic tagged work throughout the game? I see people already finishing this so I'd appreciate some tips.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think there are any unviable or clearly impoverished builds that we know of yet, unless you really go out of your way.

You can leave attrib points unspent, so that's what I'll try later.

For some reason, I feel like Physique and Motorics go together. It doesn't seem productive to be super strong but unable to hit anything, or slow as molasses. If you are super coordinated, on the other hand, you can't always rely on a gun, for various reasons.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just had a fantastically tense combat encounter. Everything went wrong and I feel bad for letting everybody down. All vestiges of comical hard-ass bone-head bigot cop LARP were gone at that moment, I just tried to do my best, but I could not. :negative:

This game is excellent, fellers. A new storyfag great. I can contain myself no longer. I must shill.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It also happens only for the first two nights.

Anyway:

The Codex: This game has no challenge, whaa.
Also the Codex: I failed to make rent and now I can't progress, whaa.

Is it possible to get the money yourself for the first night? Think I manged to get around 25.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
yeah you waited too long for that quest sorry, I assume on the DONE tasks there are quests involving the cryptozoologists?
You are correct. I didn't know you can fuck up your quests like that if they are not marked with a clock...

Besides, FFS, why am I timelocked? I have the key, door are right here.

Tigranes

Arcane
For some reason, I feel like Physique and Motorics go together. It doesn't seem productive to be super strong but unable to hit anything, or slow as molasses. If you are super coordinated, on the other hand, you can't always rely on a gun, for various reasons.

I'm playing 6 PHY 1 MOT, which is interesting. I don't feel that it screws me out of a lot of things yet, checks don't necessarily seem super nested where you have to pass 4 combined rolls to do X or fail altogether.

Nickboy is right that the attributes don't correspond into your typical "STRONK & DUM" physique or "SMART AT EVERYTHING" intellect, though I don't necessarily see this as a problem (reserving judgment until I see how it plays out over the course of the game). It seems to me that they deliberately inserted a different kind of "Insight" skill into each of the 4 stats, so a 1/1/6/1 dude would still get the 'Shivers', a kind of primordial sense of danger and the uncanny hearkening back to prehistoric people.

I thought of my 1/5/5/1 guy with investments in Empathy and Pain Threshold as someone whose strong, big-boned body is suffering internal failures on an alcohol-fuelled path to doom, but for now benefits from tons of guts and muscle - and a relatively quiet guy who is deceptively aware of the human condition, but lacks the anger to form it into politics or the calculating head to use it for manipulation. Just someone who understands in that quietly despairing way that shit is, on the whole, always fucked up. And the skill system has broadly supported this very well so far.

Of course, then I took Superstar Cop.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem starts with the ruleset. If they would cut one of the attributes and group skills under Int/Mental/Physical, it would work much better, without any additional scripting and playtesting for extreme builds.

Right now, it seems that some skills are only tagged as physical, because they wanted 6 skills per attribute. So you can make a protagonist with dumbass attributes, but he'll end up having decent level of skills that clearly require brains. And those skills talk to you, often mixing with dumb dialogue. :|

All four stats cover different parts of your brain, though. The voices that talk to you in your sleep--the reptilian brain and the limbic system--are Fysique and Psyche. Motorics gets the cerebellum, the motor cortex, and all the sensory bits like the visual cortex, auditory cortex etc... Intellect gets the frontal lobe.

The groupings make sense and the balance is good. High fysique and motorics both open up a lot of shortcuts. The problem is that the short descriptions for each base stat are oversimplified and/or misleading when you're going through character creation. Although it's easy to figure that out once you go to the next screen to pick your signature skill.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get why THE SQUAD gets so ass mad when people say this is more of an adventure game than an RPG... First of all you literally go around and click circles to get information and use items in an adventure game manner. Secondly, why be mad at that? Adventure games are fun and have always been the counterpart to RPGs in the oldskool days. Adventure games with skill checks and stats and stuff but aren't RPGs are still good. You are going to tell me that Quest for Glory series are bad because it is labeled an adventure game? Pathologic 2? Beautiful Desolation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom