Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The itemization in this game is the worst Obsidian has done ever. Endless recycling of trash tier weapons and armor, you'll amass 90+ healing and hack/lock-pick items in your first hours even in Supernova difficulty, piles of boring consumables with the same effect... I can't take it anymore, I might be getting too old for this.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The itemization in this game is the worst Obsidian has done ever. Endless recycling of trash tier weapons and armor, you'll amass 90+ healing and hack/lock-pick items in your first hours even in Supernova difficulty, piles of boring consumables with the same effect... I can't take it anymore, I might be getting too old for this.
That's every loot system nowadays... Basically trash in a million trash-cans and heaps all over every map + almost everything is just generic stuff so exploration and obsessive looting and quest rewards make you feel like an idiot for bothering at all.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
That's every loot system nowadays... Basically trash in a million trash-cans and heaps all over every map + almost everything is just generic stuff so exploration and obsessive looting and quest rewards make you feel like an idiot for bothering at all.
And beyond rpgs too, twitcher 3 was the worst itemization I'd seen in years. At least GTA 5 has nice cars. Fucking crafting chaos and shitty user interfaces everywhere.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Yeah, it's getting overwhelming with the amount of shit you can find as food, I can understand it's for worldbuilding, different companies and all that, but jesus, my aid section for my Melee caveman is overflowing with shit. At least with ranged characters you can sell most of it on account of having 0 Temperament.

Codex Year of the Donut
Can we take a pause and talk about the music? I mean, New Vegas or VTMB are hardly a consistent 10/10 GOTY from start to finish. But every once in a while you would be patrolling the Mojave, feeling kind of bored, then suddenly Jingle Jangle starts playing in the radio and you start blasting out deathclaws to the sweet sounds of swing. And you're having fun again.

I don't normally wish people ill fate, but can we all agree that Justin Bell should be flogged?
A couple of the ambient tracks are ok, but in general the music is bad.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
rusty_shackleford is that the good or the bad track?

Let me know so I can agree.

I'm a settingfag, and when all your set pieces are Ass Effect 1 looking pod houses, you have a mascot from Regular Show, and butch dykes everywhere then if you are anything like me you don't even give this brand new IP a second look. If they wanted a space western, first get a damn concept artist who loves space and westerns.

Was there even a desert?

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
"The story behind Parvati, the internet’s favorite Outer Worlds companion" - interview with Kate Dollarhyde.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...-outer-worlds-parvati-companion-quest-writers

There is a kind of science fiction right now that I feel is best exemplified by The Expanse. It’s this portrayal of a future where there is not just a male, white, cisgender future for our society. It is a spectrum of colors, a spectrum of experiences, the spectrum of languages, a spectrum of sexual identification, and of sexuality. How important was it for you as a writer to really look at the spectrum of human experience and project it forward into the future of science fiction?

It was hugely important and I honestly wish we could do more of it if we had more time. I’d write a million more words of unique people living their lives. Maybe in future projects I’ll get a chance to do that. But it’s not just representing a hopeful world, or a world that we want to see. It’s, from my point of view, representing the world as it currently is. There are women in positions of power. There are people of color doing all kinds of jobs. There are queer people in every corner and class of the world. And so I want the world of the future to reflect the world of the now. And that means reflecting our current reality.

:prosper:
Well, at least we know why the writing is so uninspired.

S9Cpaug.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
Parvati is the internet favorite companion because:
All the companions are boring as fuck, but Parvati is the only female companion that can be visually identified as a (gamebryo-esque potato-replica of a) human female.

I like her because she's a clone of Kaylee from Firefly. That's probably the only reason though.
latest

Firefly Nostalgia, eh? Too bad Whedon is incapable of making another show like that.

I don't really remember what the character was like, tbh. Been forever (edit: since 2003??? what the fuck) since I watched Firefly.
Was she an Asexual Pajeet-girl? ;)
No, she was sexy as fuck (and bad-ass too) and there were many moments that showed she had an interest in guys sexually

Probably because, you know, it's fucking normal to have an interest in sex

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I wish they just copy-pasted every single character from firefly instead of trying to create their own. This game would be much more enjoyable.

I've given up hope on good writing in "mainstream" RPGs. Not even a game led by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyasrky managed to have atleast decent writing. Bloodlines next year is probably gonna be the same shit despite Mitsoda being the lead writer.

Is it so hard for these vidya writers just focus on creating a good story and interesting characters instead of pushing a fucking agenda?

Yosharian

Arcane
"I'm asexual by the way, that's pretty much my main personality trait! Please help me make an idiot of myself in front of this girl I like. Like as in I just want to hold her hand and stuff, I don't actually want to have sex with her, eww that would be gross."

I can't imagine why there aren't more characters like this in mainstream media

Yosharian

Arcane
Apparently three quarters of the population can't even define what asexuality is. Interesting, especially considering asexuality can be defined as follows by researchers:

Researchers generally define asexuality as the lack of sexual attraction or the lack of sexual interest, but their definitions vary; they may use the term "to refer to individuals with low or absent sexual desire or attractions, low or absent sexual behaviors, exclusively romantic non-sexual partnerships, or a combination of both absent sexual desires and behaviors". Self-identification as asexual may also be a determining factor.

And the Asexual Visibility and Education Network defines an asexual as
"someone who does not experience sexual attraction" and stated, "[a]nother small minority will think of themselves as asexual for a brief period of time while exploring and questioning their own sexuality" and that "[t]here is no litmus test to determine if someone is asexual. Asexuality is like any other identity – at its core, it's just a word that people use to help figure themselves out. If at any point someone finds the word asexual useful to describe themselves, we encourage them to use it for as long as it makes sense to do so."

If that sounds like a bunch of nonsensical fantasy bullshit made up by special snowflakes LARPing as scientists, then you must be a fucking bigot, because it seems real fucking simple to me.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I hadn't noticed this while playing, but most of the NPCs in a prominent position are women. And when they are men, they are often incompetent, or of questionable character. After you see this, it's practically impossible to unsee, because it's very explicit. I can't say that this was a big problem for me because, as I said, I hadn't noticed it when I was playing, it wasn't something that I consciously paid attention to. But on the other hand, looking back, it's really impossible not to notice that, yes, there is an agenda behind these choices, it's too obvious to be by chance.

Tyranny was a bit like that, although I remember there were decent male characters too. I'm trying to remember if Pillows had anything similar yet every single time I think of that game my mind draws a blank.

PoE wasn't like that but Deadfire was but I'd argue that it was less on the nose.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Found out the level cap is 30 and am rushing to the finish with my ruthless corporate merc. Haven't even been the mining planet, though I might go to finish Max's storyline. Skipped a ton of shit, why the fuck do you level so fast? Not that I necessarily want to play longer.

P.S. Asexual girl ain't a problem. One asexual character I can ever remember in the history of RPGs? Not a threat. The matriarchy bullshit is fucking ridiculous though.

Codex Year of the Donut
YAAAS. Diversity is sooo important. So glad you're on board with the program.

Yeah, why have diversity, let's just recycle every tired cliche and knock-off we always get, right? Who wants anything new when you can have the usual?
You're right. Instead of having a good story involving her finding her original birth mother/learning more about her father(as was obviously intended by her backstory when you meet her/read her terminal), we get a retarded "LOL ASEXUAL DATE NIGHT XD" quest that has you go around playing fedex picking up dumb shit on planets.
Thank you, diversity. You surely made this game better.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm sick to death of people pretending like sexual disorders like asexuality are 'interesting' and 'fresh' and 'bringing something new to the genre'. Fuck off already. There is NOTHING interesting about someone who doesn't like sex, are you fucking kidding me? Sex is like one of the top 5 most fun things you can do with another person, along with Magic: The Gathering and face-painting with glue. If your main character trait is that you don't like sex, I'm pretty sure I'm going to dislike your character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom