Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

LudensCogitet

Learned
The problem with TOW is not in it's mediocrity but with it being almost purposefully so. It's consistently and constantly the same throughout the entire game. There's not a single memorable quest, character or location. It has no redeeming value. It's a nothing burger. It's better than boredom, so one can dump time into it, but you get nothing in return in the end.
Only memorable part for me was retrieving the book for Max. :M
I already had the book on me when I met him, and I didn't really know which generic building did I loot it from. So, no, not even that.

What killed that for me was when I was supposed to find the secret cave hideout where the book was being hidden and a way point was put directly on my HUD and on the compass showing me exactly where to walk. The note about the book's location even included descriptions of landmarks, but I didn't need to use any of that information or explore at all. Just follow the quest marker. That seemed very un-Cain and Boyarsky to me.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with TOW is not in it's mediocrity but with it being almost purposefully so. It's consistently and constantly the same throughout the entire game. There's not a single memorable quest, character or location. It has no redeeming value. It's a nothing burger. It's better than boredom, so one can dump time into it, but you get nothing in return in the end.
I already had the book on me when I met him, and I didn't really know which generic building did I loot it from. So, no, not even that.

What killed that for me was when I was supposed to find the secret cave hideout where the book was being hidden and a way point was put directly on my HUD and on the compass showing me exactly where to walk. The note about the book's location even included descriptions of landmarks, but I didn't need to use any of that information or explore at all. Just follow the quest marker. That seemed very un-Cain and Boyarsky to me.

you can disable quest markers.

Kaivokz

Arcane

You didn’t need to, but you could have instead of following the quest compass. Take some personal responsibility for your own fun. It’s like saying BG2 has bad encounter design because 95% of the time a sorcerer or wizard can time stop - alacrity - cast literally every spell they have except wishes - wish for more spells - repeat.

I mean think for a second, what you said boils down to: “what killed it for me was choosing to do something a boring way when I could have chosen to do it a fun way.” This isn’t even “play with only a wooden sword so it’s challenging.” It’s just a little baffling to me that someone would kill their own fun because they have the option to do so. Do you hit yourself in the head with the bat when you play baseball? “What killed that game for me was when I knocked myself unconscious instead of having to gauge the trajectory of the ball and time my swing...”

LudensCogitet

Learned

You didn’t need to, but you could have instead of following the quest compass. Take some personal responsibility for your own fun. It’s like saying BG2 has bad encounter design because 95% of the time a sorcerer or wizard can time stop - alacrity - cast literally every spell they have except wishes - wish for more spells - repeat.

I mean think for a second, what you said boils down to: “what killed it for me was choosing to do something a boring way when I could have chosen to do it a fun way.” This isn’t even “play with only a wooden sword so it’s challenging.” It’s just a little baffling to me that someone would kill their own fun because they have the option to do so. Do you hit yourself in the head with the bat when you play baseball? “What killed that game for me was when I knocked myself unconscious instead of having to gauge the trajectory of the ball and time my swing...”

While I think your point about choosing to do something more interesting rather than following the path of least resistance is an interesting one, I don't think this your characterization is particularly fair in this case.

I did turn off HUD quest markers right after this incident, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to turn them off in the compass. The attempt to do what you suggest, then, would literally be to constantly ignore a piece of visual information being given to me in a way that is meant to draw my attention, and in order to do what? I would basically have to pretend I didn't know where to go. There's the green marker, telling me exactly where I should be on my compass, and I say "No, instead I will climb a hill and look down into the valley and notice the river and act like I didn't see the compass was pointing me there the whole time". That's not exactly the same as refraining from using OP spells or hitting myself with a bat. Lol.

Also, it has a direct impact on the verisimilitude of the world. I am supposed to be investigating the location of a contraband book of philosophical thought that's location is a mystery, but as soon as I read a clue I can make a bee line direction for it. What reason is there for such a thing except to short circuit actually having to engage with both the world and the systems of the game?

Codex Year of the Donut

I haven't played it, I thought it was more realistic and not really of that style. If it is though, fair enough. Either way it got no traction on console and ignored by the media for perceived political grievances, so I think the desperation still applies.
KCD sold extremely well, about half of their sales were on console.
You're right about the second part though, a lot of really butthurt articles were written.

razvedchiki

Erudite
possibly_retarded.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
this game is only successful due to bethesda hate bandwagon and it rolled 20 on luck check on the time it was announced and released.

That's part of it, but also desperation because a "Bethesda style" game hasn't really come out since Fallout 4.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come:_Deliverance
Contrary to others opinion (a singular praise), I don't find Kingdom Come Deliverance a good game and an enjoyable experience now, once it's finally finished with patching and DLCs. And I finished everything in this game just out of respect for Mafia 1 and OFP devs. Vavra basically pulled a ubisoft on this one, contrary to all these 'bethesda' comparisons.
J_C What so "what"?

curry

Arcane
My expectations were so low that the game actually managed to be a positive surprise. Just don't think of it as a cRPG. It's decent if you're cool with it being an adventure FPS shooter game.

Atchodas

Augur
what's up with these fucking faces how can they make game in 2019 and leave them like that :negative:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom