Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I was talking about the characters, not players.
Then hell no, it wouldn't be better if designers stopped pretending they aren't.
What's cool about characters is that they're just characters. You don't have to watch them take a shit or swap body fluids.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't want realistic companions. I want badass motherfuckers to drink from my enemy's skull with me. I don't want to be their fucking therapist. If your companion quest isn't slaughtering savages or plundering for treasure, keep it to yourself.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just finished replaying Dead Money on my current New Vegas playthrough, and it really feels like the last time I'll go through the game and see brand new things, few as they are. And in Dead Money I just got the ending where all three companions are alive at the end for the first time. It really felt like I had finally closed the book on that one, and god damn but seeing those ending slides, hearing the unique narration. . what a wave of melancholy. . . and then contentedness afterwards. I like the other DLCs but I doubt they will end on such a high, bittersweet note like this one did. Definitely the best piece of dlc ever made, in my opinion.

Couldn't not make a note of it somewhere, and here's a good a place as any.
I keep saying this.

Dead Money is the best DLC ever made, not just for this for this specific game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People can satisfy these urges without the game having to cater to them.
Still applies. People can restrain themselves, so to portray everyone as a horny fag driven by instinct alone is just as immersion breaking.

Not if you're a Californian, then it's pretty much an accurate representaiton of the average citizen.

Vatnik Wumao
Still applies. People can restrain themselves, so to portray everyone as a horny fag driven by instinct alone is just as immersion breaking.

Not if you're a Californian, then it's pretty much an accurate representaiton of the average citizen.
9vCdd52.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At least that means it's not a total walking-and-talking sim.

Also, it's extremely appropriate for Sawyer Elysium to have rapey elements, glad he's sticking to that. :)

Prime Junta

His commentary on Deadfire breaks my heart. The man means so well, yet has lost the plot so completely.

I think he'd be much happier working in conventional business-to-business software. The requirements are better known, you can find something that has genuine social value, and the money is much more predictable. Maybe I'll hit him up the next time we have a technical product owner opening...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Was it ever disclosed how Sawyer was chosen to direct Pillars? Was it as simple as "he directed New Vegas, and that was our biggest hit"? There were surely people more passionate and interested in making an IE homage.

Prime Junta

Was it ever disclosed how Sawyer was chosen to direct Pillars? Was it as simple as "he directed New Vegas, and that was our biggest hit"? There were surely people more passionate and interested in making an IE homage.

Pillars 1 was Sawyer's pitch to Fearg. Obsidian was in deep trouble, risking bankruptcy, and this was their moon shot. Josh thought the market was ready for an IE spiritual successor and he got the go-ahead to do the Kickstarter campaign with a few others. Both the campaign and subsequent sales way exceeded their expectations, so naturally they would put him in charge of the slam-dunk sequel.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

9vCdd52.jpg
california-immigration-comic1.png

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
His commentary on Deadfire breaks my heart. The man means so well, yet has lost the plot so completely.

I think he'd be much happier working in conventional business-to-business software. The requirements are better known, you can find something that has genuine social value, and the money is much more predictable. Maybe I'll hit him up the next time we have a technical product owner opening...

B2B software dev is, more often than not, pretty soul crushing too, but yes, the money is better and there are a lot more opportunities, for sure.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

B2B software dev is, more often than not, pretty soul crushing too, but yes, the money is better and there are a lot more opportunities, for sure.

Do they need game designers in the enterprise software space?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom