Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
...he leaves no room to argue that Ultima 9 was developed by people ignorant of Ultima or uninterested in the series. He also highlights — distinct from the production vision mentioned above — the very consistent creative vision that animated the project from start to finish; it is in this section that Bill cheekily (and correctly) notes that while that creative vision wouldn’t be likely to gel with every expectation of Ultima fans, there is nothing which would have...

I call bullshit on this, there were always riding high expectations on the later parts of the series and until Ultima 7, these were always met, its only when Garriot started his streamlining and arcade experiements he fucked everything up

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Made an automap tool for Ultima V. Meant to be used with the GOG version. Should work with the music patched version as well.
  • Shows the map of the current location (world, underworld, town, dungeon). You can play as these areas were already explored or set them as unexplored and to be revealed as you move.
  • HUD which shows HP, MP, status, experience, class and level, attributes and equipment.
  • Optional auto level up. When you have enough experience points, your character automatically gains a level and a random attribute point.
  • Optional (and very experimental) quickfight. Knows how to switch weapons if needed but does not use spells. Implemented by sending keypresses to the game window. Read the info in the manual before using.
  • Debug functions: teleporting, dialogue script viewing, time forwarding.
Download and a bunch of screenshots here:
http://u5.zorbus.net

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Made an automap tool for Ultima V. Meant to be used with the GOG version. Should work with the music patched version as well.
  • Shows the map of the current location (world, underworld, town, dungeon). You can play as these areas were already explored or set them as unexplored and to be revealed as you move.
  • HUD which shows HP, MP, status, experience, class and level, attributes and equipment.
  • Optional auto level up. When you have enough experience points, your character automatically gains a level and a random attribute point.
  • Optional (and very experimental) quickfight. Knows how to switch weapons if needed but does not use spells. Implemented by sending keypresses to the game window. Read the info in the manual before using.

You're the Goldbox companion guy?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer

Yep.

Cael

Arcane

Yep.
1. You do good work. Love the GBC. Thank you for it.
2. Just FYI : I was messing around with the GBC in the Krynn series (trying to move the XP to where they were at the end of DKK instead of being lost at the beginning of DQK due to max level and training dropping XP), and there seems to be an offset problem. Can't remember which version, but it was the latest one at the time (2017-ish). The previous version at the time worked.

EruDaan

Arcane
Ultima 7 declined in many ways beyond just combat, that game barely qualifies as an RPG, as it's basically an open-ended adventure game with shit combat. It was a streamlined title aimed at newcomers and storyfags, perhaps the very beginning of the decline.

But it got something almost no game had since then - an working and functioning NPC-schedule system. And that made the game rather remarkable. Of course there are many things that are... rather curious desigin decisions. The magic system was... well, in many cases many spells were unpractical to use in combat. One use of "Paralyze" wasted some reagents and it gave you a chance to paralyze one enemy (of sometimse up to six in an chaotic battle) given that the spell hits and given that it's duration was longer then some seconds. Same goes with sleep and poison spells. Direct damage spells ranged also kinda from "at least that slot in the spell book is filled) to "might be useful" . Fireblast was stupid. Explosion, Delayed Explosion, Dancing Swords were good in their won sense but in the hectic clashes that Richard considered to be "battles" or "fights" even "Dancing Swords can kill on of your own party members. Death Blast gave no experience, well done Richie, but was at least useful.

But even if they reminded one more of what WH40K Orks understand as what a fight is, they were tolerable if you equip your whole party with helbards, full plate/magic armour and then let loose. Ranged weapon were of course nice but stupid. Friendly fire was a thing back then.

Cael

Arcane
Ultima 7 declined in many ways beyond just combat, that game barely qualifies as an RPG, as it's basically an open-ended adventure game with shit combat. It was a streamlined title aimed at newcomers and storyfags, perhaps the very beginning of the decline.

But it got something almost no game had since then - an working and functioning NPC-schedule system. And that made the game rather remarkable. Of course there are many things that are... rather curious desigin decisions. The magic system was... well, in many cases many spells were unpractical to use in combat. One use of "Paralyze" wasted some reagents and it gave you a chance to paralyze one enemy (of sometimse up to six in an chaotic battle) given that the spell hits and given that it's duration was longer then some seconds. Same goes with sleep and poison spells. Direct damage spells ranged also kinda from "at least that slot in the spell book is filled) to "might be useful" . Fireblast was stupid. Explosion, Delayed Explosion, Dancing Swords were good in their won sense but in the hectic clashes that Richard considered to be "battles" or "fights" even "Dancing Swords can kill on of your own party members. Death Blast gave no experience, well done Richie, but was at least useful.

But even if they reminded one more of what WH40K Orks understand as what a fight is, they were tolerable if you equip your whole party with helbards, full plate/magic armour and then let loose. Ranged weapon were of course nice but stupid. Friendly fire was a thing back then.
Getting hit in the back by a triple crossbow with magic bolts is an instant death, not ands or buts about it. Fucking Iolo did it to me often enough that I took the damned thing away from him and gave him a magic axe instead.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ULTIMA FIVE WAS MY FIRST RPG EVER SO I CANT HELP BUT BE BASED ABOUT IT

WHEN I WAS A LITTLE BRO I ALWAYS THOUGHT MY PERFECT RPG WOULD BE A COMBLINASIAN OF ULTIMA FIVE AND WASTELAND

curds

Magister
Want to try playing the Ultima games for the first time. Gonna start with IV. Is XU4 the way to go in 2019, or should I stick to DOS version? (or another version if there's a better one)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
If you're not used to these kind of old games (say, this is your first 80's cRPG, ignoring console games), the Master System version is definitely the best for you, as it's faster, easier to play, and brings many quality of life features while still being very faithful to the source. But because of hardware limitations it has an inferior dialogue system and no first person dungeon exploration, which is a shame because it could have been the definitive U4 version. Having to remember and type keywords instead of picking them from a comfy list is just too important to me, so I can't fully recommend this version, sorry.

On the other hand, if you're a purist, I would recommend you to try the original Apple II version, which funnily enough it's still the superior one aesthetically speaking (unlike Ultima V, which has a superior DOS version in this sense). It's way slower, requires constant disk swapping, and has a pretty ugly font, so it's obviously not for everyone.

Otherwise, the DOS version is just OK. It's uglier and has no music (and the music patch adds some inconsistent graphics and some game crashing errors), but it works perfectly fine, and it's also the best one to play if you want to transfer your characters through the trilogy.

curds

Magister
But because of hardware limitations it has an inferior dialogue system and no first person dungeon exploration
Doesn't sound too good to me...
the DOS version is just OK. It's uglier and has no music
Doesn't bother me.
but it works perfectly fine
Great!
and it's also the best one to play if you want to transfer your characters through the trilogy.
Sounds like I'm going with the DOS version then. Thanks for the info!
:brodex:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you're not used to these kind of old games (say, this is your first 80's cRPG, ignoring console games), the Master System version is definitely the best for you, as it's faster, easier to play, and brings many quality of life features while still being very faithful to the source. But because of hardware limitations it has an inferior dialogue system and no first person dungeon exploration, which is a shame because it could have been the definitive U4 version. Having to remember and type keywords instead of picking them from a comfy list is just too important to me, so I can't fully recommend this version, sorry.

On the other hand, if you're a purist, I would recommend you to try the original Apple II version, which funnily enough it's still the superior one aesthetically speaking (unlike Ultima V, which has a superior DOS version in this sense). It's way slower, requires constant disk swapping, and has a pretty ugly font, so it's obviously not for everyone.

Otherwise, the DOS version is just OK. It's uglier and has no music (and the music patch adds some inconsistent graphics and some game crashing errors), but it works perfectly fine, and it's also the best one to play if you want to transfer your characters through the trilogy.

The DOS version with patches is superior, adds music, 256 colors (never noticed any crashes and inconsistent graphics are only a problem if you tend to notice super minor details)
http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

Also, if you happen to have GridCartographer, it supports the game with in-game tracking if you like to do maps

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Really wish there was a way to separate the MIDI patch from the graphics patch for u4upgrade, the added music is great but I'm fond of the original tileset.

Why not contact the guy who supplies the patch and ask him if that would be possible. I mean with mods you can never be sure, some of those modders are kinda crazy, but worth a try

curds

Magister
The DOS version with patches is superior, adds music, 256 colors (never noticed any crashes and inconsistent graphics are only a problem if you tend to notice super minor details)

Also, if you happen to have GridCartographer, it supports the game with in-game tracking if you like to do maps
Thats exactly what I ended up going with, DOS version from GOG + UltimaPatcher. The new music is nice, and I never played the game back then so I've no nostalgia for the original graphics.

I do like to map, however I enjoy doing it on graph paper. GridCartographer is also quite expensive for what it seems to be imo

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

To be honest my biggest issue with the new graphics is related to the end-game puzzle, some pretty obvious clues in all other versions got obscured by decorative graphics, that ruined my first playthrough and I cannot forgive that. I had also some crashes near the end game, which got pretty tiresome. But other than that it's not a huge difference, yeah.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Ultima 5 is better anyway. I know a lot of people say start with 4, but honestly either you do a whole play through of the series starting with Akalabeth, or you should do 5-6-7 and only read up on the earlier parts

Cael

Arcane
Want to try playing the Ultima games for the first time. Gonna start with IV. Is XU4 the way to go in 2019, or should I stick to DOS version? (or another version if there's a better one)
The updated freeware VGA U4 can have issues. I recall a version that when you completed one of the main quests, the game hung on you. But I have played another one since that did not have the same problem.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ULTIMA 5 HAD FULLY FUNCTIONING NPC SCHEDULES

THEY WOKE UP WENT TO WORK AND WENT TO MEALS AND SHIT

IF YOU FOUND SOMEONE SLEEPING DURING THE DAY YOU WAITED THAT FUCKWR OUT THEN TALKED TO HIM

IT SET THW BAR WAY TO HIGH FOR AN RPG WORLD BECAUSE NOT MUCH HAS MEAUSRED UP SINCE

curds

Magister
IT SET THW BAR WAY TO HIGH FOR AN RPG WORLD BECAUSE NOT MUCH HAS MEAUSRED UP SINCE
Gothic series does pretty well imo.

Grauken Unorus Janco thanks for the U4 advice you both gave me the other day. Basically though, I ended up really not enjoying the game. I'm a combat-/gameplayfag at heart even though I can appreciate a good story. And U4 has awful combat. Also the RPG system felt pretty light on. More like an adventure game imo.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Gothic series does pretty well imo.

Grauken Unorus Janco thanks for the U4 advice you both gave me the other day. Basically though, I ended up really not enjoying the game. I'm a combat-/gameplayfag at heart even though I can appreciate a good story. And U4 has awful combat. Also the RPG system felt pretty light on. More like an adventure game imo.

I would recommend the Goldbox games if you haven't played them

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^Seconded, obviously.
Basically though, I ended up really not enjoying the game. I'm a combat-/gameplayfag at heart even though I can appreciate a good story. And U4 has awful combat. Also the RPG system felt pretty light on. More like an adventure game imo.
As a game, 5 is about a thousand times better in every way if you still want to experience some "classic" Ultima.

Or just go straight to Dark Heart of Uukrul for the best 80s CRPG there is.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
U4 is not a storyfag game (although it has a great plot), its an immershunfag one. The game forces the player to act like a hero thinking about morality before every action instead of being a murderhobo, to learn the basics at spellcasting and mixing reagents before even attempting to cast a single spell, to remember keywords when talking with NPCs, and so on. Its RPG systems are extremely shallow and combat itself is pretty bad, we can all agree, but this is no adventure game either. This is no Ultima VII (now that's a shallow adventure game).

Ultima V has more robust systems and much better and more challenging combat though (unlike the rest of the series, Ultima VI immediately declined). Still, this is not a series for combatfags.

Cael

Arcane
U4 is a journey on how to be a proper hero, Knights of the Round Table style. Be brave in the face of foes, honourably let non-Evil foes retreat, show kindness to beggar, be truthful and humble in your actions. It is not about killing things and taking their stuff. That was the whole point to the game. Garriott wanted to make a game that is completely unlike other RPGs in existence because he got feedback from the proto-sjws of the time that there was too much violence in games.
U4 is basically a puzzle game with RPG elements.

U5 is a real RPG in the whole "Chosen One called to save the world" sense. It had a coherent story, and nasty consequences for idiots who didn't RTFM (Blackthorn's castle is a classic WTF moment for those idiots). The interface is better, the spell system had matured, combat system had matured and the colours made the world look vibrant and the lighting system can make it very scary indeed (and man, were the jump scares built into that lighting system...!). It still had several puzzles that will either fuck you up hard or end in a non-standard game over if you did them wrong, which can make the whole thing leave a bad taste in a newbie's mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom