Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Delterius

Arcane
lawful neutral best kingdom building

neutral good most optimal

chaotic neutral the fun one

evil for capital ambience

Neutral good more optimal for what? Lawful evil is defintly more "optimal" with stocks and bulletin board combo.
The meme is that neutral good lets you cherrypick certain story decisions, from mediations of neutral to being a good boi towards nyrissa but I agree that its not an 'objective' metric by any means.

Chaotic Neutrals and Lawful Neutrals feel like the more unique ones. And I sure like creating Narnia, the land of satyr brothels.

Decided to kill some time in the Teneberous Depths (in campaign). My party steam-rolled the first 4 (or 5) areas, right up until I hit the first boss. I knew it was going to be brutal, but I gave it a swing anyway. Results were predictable. Will return when my party is around level 10. Right now they are all 7s or 8s.

deuxhero

Arcane
Towns are important because they make artisans spawn and, latter, you can teleport between them. Place your towns near water (pier is a great building) and in a location you'll want to teleport back to. Ideal locations are near the lodge, depths/temple of the elk, Talon Peak/road to Varnhold, and near the trading post since you'll go back to those multiple times.

edit: And near your western border with Pitax.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Ravness, you are now entering one of the best parts of the game, imo. The second part of Act2 is where I first realized that this game meant business!

- You did fine with Harrim. That is what was supposed to happen.
- The Witch is only relevant to the Lost Child quest, iirc. For Troll Trouble, the relevant characters are Bart, Ekun, Harrim and Jubilost.

As advised already, focus on Rank ups first, because they let you unlock new regions (and also make solving Problems easier with promoted advisor). At the same time, do not let Problems unattended and do not let main quests unresolved for too long. Opportunities are nice to get, but not crucial. Curses are not a big deal, so do not worry much about them on your 1st playthrough, and certainly not before you have lots of money and advisors.

Buildings seemingly only give a minor boost to Kingdom stats. But some buildings give additional bonuses, like the mentioned teleportation circles, couthouses, and of course the artisan workshops. Also, you need 6/16 non-colored buildings (so Piers does not count) in a settlement to upgrade it to Town/City (when you have 3 villages/towns respectively). But no, you do not have to fill all settlements with buildings, do the minimum required.

Improving kingdom stats is strictly good for you. They let you rank up every 20 points, unlock advisors, unlock side events, unlock artisan ranks etc-etc.

Artisans are generally a huge deal, for the goodies they deliver to you. Sometimes the goodies themselves are relevant, and the rest of the time you can sell them to make a lot of money. So make artisans a priority as well.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright been playing a bit more and finished off Troll Trouble

I've followed the advice of you guys and brought Ekun, Harrim, and that asshole gnome.
  • Let the Troll kids live and Killed the dad to finish off Ekun's quest. Probably should've killed them all off, but we'll see.
  • Killed off the Big Troll first (took a couple reloads because he hits like a truck) then killed off Tartuk. Couldn't let him go because he's too much of a cunt and basically raided my lands too much
  • Harrim ended up destroying the anvil, dunno if there was an alternative path to that one so it would benefit me but whatever. Emo dwarf is emo
  • Old Swamp lady didn't do shit for me, I still have to do the "Banquet" quest so maybe she'll be useful then.
Alright I'm to the point where I see why people may complain about the kingdom management part. You can't assign multiple projects to level up, you have to individually wait 14 damn days for something to happen, and the other projects take about 45-60. If anything else I'm not sure if i should focus on the rank ups or just the regular projects first. I still feel that I need a bit more explanation on why I should build the towns, I'm not sure if the game tells you if the kingdom stats matter in a certain way but yeah. Game great, kingdom management is so-so
>I'm not sure if i should focus on the rank ups or just the regular projects first.
Prioritize rank ups. Artisan loot and specific regions, are locked behind Advisor ranks.

Yeah, Projects are mostly low priority. Buildings are very low priority, unless you need something specific - or are ready to upgrade a village and need to have 6 of them built to upgrade.

You want Community and Loyalty to 3 ASAP, as those open new regions. Then Divine to unlock Arcane and Arcane to 40 to unlock Teleportation Circles.
I also like early Relations, as it helps with exotic weapon artisan.

razvedchiki

Erudite
the thing is that you need to have 600-700k maybe more for a certain event in chapter 5,so its better to upgrade stats through events/opportunites/nodes(they cost 15 bp each and give 1-5 to random kingdoms stats,better to take those than spent 30-50 bp on a bulidng for the same bonuses).
never understood though whats the deal with the piers,do they unlock special events?

Trashos

Arcane
never understood though whats the deal with the piers,do they unlock special events?

They just give a moderate bonus to economy for not too high a price, as far as I can see. I do not see the big deal either. Bulletin boards, however, now that is a big deal.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I started playing and... can someone please tell me what companions are NOT annoying? it really feels as if I'm going to be raising spoiled kids, which I'd rather not.

Trashos

Arcane
I started playing and... can someone please tell me what companions are NOT annoying? it really feels as if I'm going to be raising spoiled kids, which I'd rather not.

They are all going to develop greatly throughout their quests and the plot. The rest of it depends on what you find annoying. I find the Act 2 companions better than the early ones, for example (although I do not mind Jaethal and Harrim).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

They are all going to develop greatly throughout their quests and the plot. The rest of it depends on what you find annoying. I find the Act 2 companions better than the early ones, for example (although I do not mind Jaethal and Harrim).

Thanks. What I specifically fear the most is... another Aerie.

I am considering a build like Pal 2 / Sorc 6 / EK 10, I know a pure caster would be better but this sounds fun.

Do you think it'll work? The game has a reputation for being hard at times.

Trashos

Arcane
No Aerie in this game, that is for sure.

Not good enough yet to give build advice, I will let others take that on. I am playing a full wizard currently, and he is very strong when he acts, I can tell you that.

Yosharian

Arcane

I am considering a build like Pal 2 / Sorc 6 / EK 10, I know a pure caster would be better but this sounds fun.

EK is fine but Magus (or one of its archetypes) can be more effective depending on what you actually want to do with the character.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

EK is fine but Magus (or one of its archetypes) can be more effective depending on what you actually want to do with the character.

I want to have fun with a character that can do many different things depending of what I fancy for each battle, alternating spellcasting with melee and with good survivability (saves from Paladin DG should be a great bonus). I know I'll be 3 caster levels behind, hopefully it won't be too much of a penalty...

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to have fun with a character that can do many different things depending of what I fancy for each battle, alternating spellcasting with melee and with good survivability (saves from Paladin DG should be a great bonus). I know I'll be 3 caster levels behind, hopefully it won't be too much of a penalty...

It has some serious downsides in P:K where you could easily spend first 30+ hours of game under level 10. And first 50-60 hours under level 15. This build will work as melee with some buffs and maybe summons, but Magus would probably do the same thing better, even with limited spellbook and without lvl 7-8 spells.

Trashos

Arcane
Thing is, you already have a Magus (Eldritch Scion, to be exact) companion. Regongar.

Not to mention that Magus is probably the most complicated class to figure out how to use properly. I am still unsure whether I am using Regongar properly.

Yosharian

Arcane
As long as you're prepared to be pretty bad at both spellcasting and melee compared to other options... The flexibility of EK is nice but don't expect to be anywhere near the level of pure spellcasters or more martial-focused builds

kelkorkesis

Novice
Not to mention that Magus is probably the most complicated class to figure out how to use properly. I am still unsure whether I am using Regongar properly.

Not really. Cast some buffs on yourself from magus list. Enchant your big fancy weapon (for example that 18-20/x3 fauchard) with your arcane pool. And slap people with it.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

>I want to have fun with a character that can do many different things depending of what I fancy for each battle.
Sounds like an Eldritch Scoundrel to me. Can melee, can cast spells, and makes for a moderately decent rogue.

Trashos

Arcane

Not really. Cast some buffs on yourself from magus list. Enchant your big fancy weapon (for example that 18-20/x3 fauchard) with your arcane pool. And slap people with it.

Spell Combat / Spellstrike....

razvedchiki

Erudite
how much xp did you get for passing the intimidate check in armags tomb?(the difficult one with 50 roll)
i remember it was around 60k but in my current hard playthrough i got 380.000 xp!bug?im using some mods,turn based combat/bag of tools/advanced martial arts/closer to tabletop.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spell Combat / Spellstrike....
Mindbogglingly useless with P:K's assortment of touch spells and required micro.

In 95% of combat situations hitting enemies with good 2-hander with power-attack, high-crit range weapon and under enlarge spells will produce better results, as sum of iterative attacks. Especially for Scions with STR bonuses from bloodlines.

Trashos

Arcane
Daidre, I am sure going to try a 2h Regongar at some point, but I would like to point out that the potential supremacy of 2 handers even for magi makes the design look bad.

how much xp did you get for passing the intimidate check in armags tomb?(the difficult one with 50 roll)
i remember it was around 60k but in my current hard playthrough i got 380.000 xp!bug?im using some mods,turn based combat/bag of tools/advanced martial arts/closer to tabletop.

Could it be that you have it set to one person getting all the XP, while you used to have it set to be divided by companions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom