Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The economy was nerfed on Dominating or I'm losing my mind?
That's really old news. You sell for 1/4th of the normal price.

Works as intended :)

lvl6
3F23574CFDBF226AD195D2831A93953354ED5463

The annoying thing is that from what I remeber the additional damage from special bullets (like the exploding .44) doesn't get multiplied by criticals. Even though pistols could really use such a damage boost.

Meanwhile my current cave wizard has reached the 1k mark now with neural overload crits. :roll:

Please post build.

hell bovine

Arcane
Please post build.
Lol, there is no build. It's just maxed thought control plus a crafted headband plus a sormirbaeren staff (not even the unique one, just one of the common drops) plus trance. If you mental breakdown the target first, it will go over 1k, but even without it, it's enough to one shot enemies on dominating. Funny thing is you can stack it even higher with empowered thought control & specializing in neural overclocking or cerebral trauma. And LoC turns this into an aoe.

edit: I just had a look at my wizard - level 23, 15 will, effective tc 266, neural overload is 125-200ish, with trance critical bonus is 330%. You can go higher, because I screwed up his specialization points and invested into critical chance from psychosis. Which is not worth it, because with psionic mania specialization and limited temporal increment (which should be renamed to cooldown mozarella) and future orientation you can just spam mania.

Oh, and with high enough mercantlie the pirate herbalist lady sells all the ingredients for trance. So much for the 'rarity of its ingredients' part.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Does anyone know if there are any requirements for leaving Todd with the pirates? I got him to the surface, but there was no new dialogue to talk about him with the captain.

Sykar

Arcane
Please post build.
Lol, there is no build. It's just maxed thought control plus a crafted headband plus a sormirbaeren staff (not even the unique one, just one of the common drops) plus trance. If you mental breakdown the target first, it will go over 1k, but even without it, it's enough to one shot enemies on dominating. Funny thing is you can stack it even higher with empowered thought control & specializing in neural overclocking or cerebral trauma. And LoC turns this into an aoe.

edit: I just had a look at my wizard - level 23, 15 will, effective tc 266, neural overload is 125-200ish, with trance critical bonus is 330%. You can go higher, because I screwed up his specialization points and invested into critical chance from psychosis. Which is not worth it, because with psionic mania specialization and limited temporal increment (which should be renamed to cooldown mozarella) and future orientation you can just spam mania.

Oh, and with high enough mercantlie the pirate herbalist lady sells all the ingredients for trance. So much for the 'rarity of its ingredients' part.

Never liked psychosis builds. They really suffer against stealthy enemies especially random ones you do not expect. Even with 9 con you can get downed in one round. Stealth Snipers are especially bad news. Even leaving on your shield 24/7 wont really save you. Tranquil Stealth can opt to get really high stealth and enough detection with paranoia and 100%+ googles that the chances of you getting discovered before the enemy are close to 0. Also has much higher initiative thanks to 7 agi.

hell bovine

Arcane
Never liked psychosis builds. They really suffer against stealthy enemies especially random ones you do not expect. Even with 9 con you can get downed in one round. Stealth Snipers are especially bad news. Even leaving on your shield 24/7 wont really save you. Tranquil Stealth can opt to get really high stealth and enough detection with paranoia and 100%+ googles that the chances of you getting discovered before the enemy are close to 0. Also has much higher initiative thanks to 7 agi.
No, they don't, because you can go with low intelligence on psychosis. Since all you need the aoe alpha strike, there is no point to worrying about mana regeneration. My current toon is max will, 9 con, 6 agi, 6 int, but I agree with Goromorg that survival instincts isn't worth it anymore, so you could as well go 7 agi & take paranoia. The reverse is also true, imo, you can go with high con on tranquility builds, because it's easy to lower the psi cost to rock bottom and therefore 6 int is enough.

Also, don't undestimate 9 con with conditioning and stoicism. My toon actually survived Carnifex winning the initiative. And one round is all it takes for a psi to turn the tide of battle. :D

Sykar

Arcane
No, they don't, because you can go with low intelligence on psychosis. Since all you need the aoe alpha strike, there is no point to worrying about mana regeneration. My current toon is max will, 9 con, 6 agi, 6 int, but I agree with Goromorg that survival instincts isn't worth it anymore, so you could as well go 7 agi & take paranoia. The reverse is also true, imo, you can go with high con on tranquility builds, because it's easy to lower the psi cost to rock bottom and therefore 6 int is enough.

Also, don't undestimate 9 con with conditioning and stoicism. My toon actually survived Carnifex winning the initiative. And one round is all it takes for a psi to turn the tide of battle. :D

I have tried psychosis 3 times so I really do not need a lecture about it. Worst area for all of them was Lurker base and got also killed by a random mugger with electro knife in one round despite level 18 and 9 con. If you go cheese and memorized where all the stealthers are, especially snipers, it is probably not that big of a deal but I do not do that. If a build gets consistently fucked by a not so rare enemy type it sucks.
You can in general go lower intelligence but you will need a couple levels more for either crafting, stealth or have to leave PK, TM and/or Neuro at a low level none of which is really nice. Or leave out hacking/lockpicking but that means a lot less chances for good loot and less access easy access to areas/rooms. Or drop Mercantile/Persuasion but that sucks too. Also a lot of spells which cannot crit become a lot less useful, whereas Tranquil can make good use of any ability. Pyrokinetic Stream sucks hard for psychosis but is golden with Tranquil.

hell bovine

Arcane
I have tried psychosis 3 times so I really do not need a lecture about it. Worst area for all of them was Lurker base and got also killed by a random mugger with electro knife in one round despite level 18 and 9 con. If you go cheese and memorized where all the stealthers are, especially snipers, it is probably not that big of a deal but I do not do that. If a build gets consistently fucked by a not so rare enemy type it sucks.
You can in general go lower intelligence but you will need a couple levels more for either crafting, stealth or have to leave PK, TM and/or Neuro at a low level none of which is really nice. Or leave out hacking/lockpicking but that means a lot less chances for good loot and less access easy access to areas/rooms. Or drop Mercantile/Persuasion but that sucks too. Also a lot of spells which cannot crit become a lot less useful, whereas Tranquil can make good use of any ability. Pyrokinetic Stream sucks hard for psychosis but is golden with Tranquil.
Lol, my current psi doesn't even have metathermics, because I wanted a challenge. If a build doesn't work for you, this doesn't mean it sucks. E.g. you don't need to 'memorize' where the stealthers are. Most of the enemies (and this includes the entire lurker base) have a very simplistic ai: "I hear noise, I go investigate". Drop a tnt and they will all come over, making for a convient alpha strike.

edit: Though you don't even need tnt with =force user, but this depends on the map layout. Atm my toon is clearing the natives map by dropping a force field, then waiting untill all arrive (which they usually manage in the four turns it takes for the field to come down), then finishing them off with loc psionic mania neural overload.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Please post build.

I did 2k on release against the big bad with Neural Overload, now you can probably do >5k.

hell bovine

Arcane
I did 2k on release against the big bad with Neural Overload, now you can probably do >5k.
I think I've seen that on a yt vid once? But yeah, one reason I cancelled metathermics on this run was that I wanted to focus more on the other psi, otherwise it's just too easy to get lazy with thermodestabilization.
Though admittedly I've only half-managed, I am underutilizing psychokinesis now by getting lazy with overload. Laziness is a terrible habit to have. :(

I do wonder, however, what the minimal skills & stats are that you could get away with and still be a successful psi.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
1) The economy nerf on Dominating looks like a knee jerk reaction from Styg.

When you find a 15k sniper rifle and you sell it for 3k with max Mercantile ... it feels like shit and it takes away any interest in the loot. Good job.

2) Ambush doesn't work with mobs on fire because I guess they are not "an illuminated target".

3) Luminosity from fire flickers too fast.

Example: If you click at max luminosity chance to hit is 73%, if you click at min luminosity chance to hit is 43%.

It's almost impossible to synchronize your shoots with luminosity because the illumination flickering doesn't stop during the combat turn.

4) Death Stalkers need an HP boost because every other mob had one.

It takes a fucking eternity to kill a Burrower Warrior with a pistol. So exciting. You even have time to contemplate suicide by depression.

Last edited:

Alexios

Augur
Patron
1) The economy nerf on Dominating looks like a knee jerk reaction from Styg.

When you find a 15k sniper rifle and you sell it for 3k with max Mercantile ... it feels like shit and it takes away any interest in the loot. Good job.

2) Ambush doesn't work with mobs on fire because I guess they are not "an illuminated target".

3) Luminosity from fire flickers too fast.

Example: If you click at max luminosity chance to hit is 73%, if you click at min luminosity chance to hit is 43%.

It's almost impossible to synchronize your shoots with luminosity because the illumination flickering doesn't stop during the combat turn.

4) Death Stalkers need an HP boost because every other mob had one.

It takes a fucking eternity to kill a Burrower Warrior with a pistol. So exciting. You even have time to contemplate suicide by depression.
As was said earlier in the thread the economy really levels out around lvl 12 or so.

From what I remember burrower warriors give a pathetically small amount of XP, so it makes no sense to even target them.

Sykar

Arcane
Lol, my current psi doesn't even have metathermics, because I wanted a challenge. If a build doesn't work for you, this doesn't mean it sucks. E.g. you don't need to 'memorize' where the stealthers are. Most of the enemies (and this includes the entire lurker base) have a very simplistic ai: "I hear noise, I go investigate". Drop a tnt and they will all come over, making for a convient alpha strike.

edit: Though you don't even need tnt with =force user, but this depends on the map layout. Atm my toon is clearing the natives map by dropping a force field, then waiting untill all arrive (which they usually manage in the four turns it takes for the field to come down), then finishing them off with loc psionic mania neural overload.

I did say I never liked psychosis so. Well never liked is not quite right. I do enjoy juggling your HP especially at 16 with Hema but I do feel that how SI is handled was not Styg's original intent that people run around low HP 24/7. Imho he should change it that it activates for x amount of rounds when you fall below with a short CD after it is done. Specialization can make it so that with careful HP juggling you can keep it up with combinations of regenerative vest, hypos and proper use of hema. Would have to rebalance CDs around with specialization points properly though.

Sykar

Arcane
So I finally finished Underrail + Expedition in its entirety.

Overall great game but not without major flaws.

1. The game does not respect your time. Too many things in expedition and deep caverns that are easy to miss or finish without googling. Too much backtracking and just in general complete disregard for players annoyance. E,g the elevator when you finish the game did not have to be 5 tiles away - fucking WHY. Nor did the dev have to make you manually walk all the way back to SGS, speak with council, rest, and then go back yet again.
2. The mechanics of expedition are not explained well enough to justify a time limit.
3. As psi build the items are really boring and the only thing worth crafting seems to be a universal crit helmet and a med freq shield. Armor seems to be kind of pointless since most areas have damage of particular type for which unique armors you get through the game are more than sufficient.
4. Inventory management is aids and I ended up playing with infinite inventory to retain my sanity.
5. Exploration reward in terms of loot is almost entirely trash. Lockpicking and hacking seem to be only useful for quests. However, the lore/quest exploration is great.

IMO just scrap mercantile skill to make most good stuff come from exploration/hunting and adjust traders to have money $$.

6. Crafting UI is poorly organized.

1.) "Respect your time" sorry but who is that "your". I feel plenty respected in over 1000 hours of gametime. Easy to miss or finish? Incline. Too much backtracking? Eh sometimes but rarely a real issue.
2.) Which mechanics exactly?
3.) What? Crapton of PSI specific boosters/hypos. PSI beetle carapace armor is one of the best for PSI. Taser, Cloaking device, etc. are all great. This was complete and utter nonsense and reeks of ignorance. Having at least armor against fire and acid is good for arena for example. Scouting around in stealth also helps you to assess whether you should keep your general setup or maybe swap to something else.
4.) Only a complete and utter Al Fabet has any issue with the inventory. Stop grabbing useless junk to gratify your OCD from retarded cRPGs.
5.) Um yeah, what do you expect? Q150 items everywhere? Of course a good chunk is trash and the good stuff is not easily reachable. Lockpicking and hacking increases your chances to find great loot especially later and open up short cuts or access to areas you would be able to otherwise.

hell bovine

Arcane
I did say I never liked psychosis so. Well never liked is not quite right. I do enjoy juggling your HP especially at 16 with Hema but I do feel that how SI is handled was not Styg's original intent that people run around low HP 24/7. Imho he should change it that it activates for x amount of rounds when you fall below with a short CD after it is done. Specialization can make it so that with careful HP juggling you can keep it up with combinations of regenerative vest, hypos and proper use of hema. Would have to rebalance CDs around with specialization points properly though.
Yep, I think that with the expansion the original idea behind psychosis got lost. With the new items, feats, specialization etc., locus neural overload becomes ridiculously powerful. The 'drawback' of higher psi cost doesn't matter anymore, because all you need is just one cast of locus. Or alternatively, a critical telekinetic punch on a destabilized target. Though I actually like both tranquility and psychosis, more variety to buils is always good. I'm considering running a temporal mage next, to see how many distortions can you stack in one turn. Just a few more years and the next expansion will be out... :D

Off topic: outer visions. The dialogue with the shadowlith is quite interesting:
"Your thoughts keep slowing down and your vision darkens until everything is completely still and dark. But somewhere deep inside there's a persistent pulse and an eye that can still see."
At first I though it was about the shadowlith, but it appears to be about the pc? Because this would agree with dude's theory, how you can get "split" when travelling in-between and then each half gets left with a (metaphorical) one eye. But who would your other half be? I thought it might be the third godman, but then tchort has quite the appetite for them and it considers you 'unappetizing'.

Parabalus

Arcane
At least they nerfed the natives wizard staff by removing the psi-reduction, that was insane.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
1.) "Respect your time" sorry but who is that "your". I feel plenty respected in over 1000 hours of gametime. Easy to miss or finish? Incline. Too much backtracking? Eh sometimes but rarely a real issue.

If you played this for 1000 hours, you do not even have a concept of what a waste of time is. Asking stupid questions does not substitute actual points that would warrant having a discussion. This style of a post is just autistic screeching of a fanboy.

Metronome

Learned
Check this out. There is a dog standing behind the door in the encounter below. I can't target it without clicking the door.

Screenshot.png

I've already gotten past this part, but this has happened before and I never figured it out. I assume it's just an oversight.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
The coretech warehouse is suicide-inducing. Your "allies" are either completely useless or get in the way so that if a single shotgun pellet hits one they turn on you. Giving the mercenaries two crossbowmen is also brutal.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The coretech warehouse is suicide-inducing. Your "allies" are either completely useless or get in the way so that if a single shotgun pellet hits one they turn on you. Giving the mercenaries two crossbowmen is also brutal.

Just stealth right in front of the entrance and napalm the entrance squares. Burst the stragglers down. I found that easier than hunting the enemies through the warehouse.

Okagron

Prophet
Finally started playing and this and i'm 38 hours in. Having a blast with a SMG + traps build.

Ran into the infamous deathstalker and died instantly. I genuinely laughed and said to myself that i understood now why it's an infamous enemy. Still managed to kill an handful of them so far, traps help considerably.

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Just stealth right in front of the entrance and napalm the entrance squares. Burst the stragglers down. I found that easier than hunting the enemies through the warehouse.
Sadly my chem is too low to build a napalm grenade. But yes getting them all at once when they enter seems to be the way to go.

Edit: Finally did it. Method was slightly cheesy, but I think legitimate.

Covered the entrance with regular caltrops and laid regular bear traps (didn't bother to craft/buy better caltrops or traps beforehand) at chokepoints. Used a combination of burst and regular fire from my two shotguns to kill about 5 of the mercs. Used a single flashbang to stun another 3 who entered all at the same time, which I believe was mandatory to survival. Then I used psycho-temporal contraction, sprint, and an adrenaline shot to retreat to the back of the inner warehouse. Waited for the Coretech fags and mercs to whittle each other down a bit and killed another 2 on my own and covered the entrance to the inner warehouse with caltrops.

Then in what might be considered a bit of cheese I retreated to the back again and ended combat and saved. Entered stealth and easily killed a sledgehammerer and sniper. Reentered stealth and ended combat again. A crossbowman came in but miraculously missed me with his net so I murdered him with burst and regular fire (because somehow almost all my pellets from my regular blast missed him). Put on my anti-caltrop boots and killed the 3 or so mercs who were wandering the outer warehouse.

So far on dominating I've reserved this (ending combat, entering stealth, and saving) for only the hardest fights. I'm hoping to be good enough with strategy to eventually stop having to do this even on hard fights, but I also think so much of this game depends on dumb luck (like that crossbow fucker missing me with his throwing net) that you have to cheese a bit.

Last edited:

Metronome

Learned
I had the most epic battle with Carnifex last night. I was only level 13, but thought my character could do it. It took several tries though.

Carnifex got the first move but I upgraded the hell out of my armor, and it mitigated the worst of his damage.
In fact, he barely lays a scratch on me. I'm still crippled but my health is looking pretty good. I manage to incapacitate him with a flash grenade, and run a short distance away to hit him with a crawler bolt. He returns to his senses and runs over to me, and I just barely sprint away. He is fatigued as he wasted his adrenaline incapacitated. He then succumbs to the crawler poison for 2 turns of stunning.

After that I stand right next to him and throw a napalm grenade at our feet. We both catch fire like crazy. Carnifex freaks out but is stunned so can't do anything. All the while he is taking substantial damage. Eventually he breaks out of the stun and runs from the fire. I stay there right in the middle where it's hottest, because it's safer there than where he might try to cross. The damage is notable, but I have a trick prepared. I added regeneration to my armor so every turn I burn, I also heal that hp back. I wait in the fire for my shit to recharge, my bones to mend, and I also swap in some molotovs on my belt. I smash one on Carnifex and he runs for it. My HP is starting to get pretty low though from all the burning.

I have two turns of it left, just enough to cover with last stand. Meanwhile Carnifex runs to the corner. I carefully inch toward him, not getting too far from the fire. I then incapacitate him with another flashbang and get right next to him. I taze him in preperation for a finishing blow, but at that point he was too weak for it. He falls over dead and I have just enough time to walk out into the middle of the arena.

It was a really cool fight, I should of got a video of it.

Press Z and target enemies through doors and shit.
Thanks, that was bugging me for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom