Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Any impressions of what people outside of Codex think of the dialogue system?

I don't hang out on many gaming sites other than this one but surprisingly no one on 8kun has commented on it at all and Voat doesn't care about BG3 at all. I can't imagine anyone actually likes it though.

You can't really up the stakes in BG3 without going full on God vs God apocalypse type stuff and DnD (regardless of edition) really starts breaking down in those super high level situations. I personally blame it on d20 as a system but you just have to accept it and move on I guess. I believe that the sweet spot in these games are the early to mid levels.
yes, but what does that have to do with anything? BG3 has nothing to do with 1 or 2, you start out at level 1 and it is nothing at all to do with anything with BG1 or 2, so level won't matter until the end of this game maybe, or the next depending on how far the level cap is. I suspect the cap is pretty high or all the zoomers will whine they can't blow up dragons with their fire dipped arrows each round. They will say the game is 'bugged'.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're going to play through BG3 once and then forget about it, just like you did DOS1&2, and you'll encounter all the content the game has to offer in that one playthrough, just like with DOS1&2. You won't even want to replay it for the novelty of another class/race/whatever, they'll all completely (and *trivially*) break the game to the point where you could solo all of it on the hardest difficulty with one character anyway so there's no difference between playing any classes because they'll all be functionally identical, just like in DOS1&2. You won't even do it to experience other characters, because every single character will be written exactly the same and feel like they're different personas of the same person, all articulating themselves in the shiteating contemporary prose style that every video game is infested with now, just like in DOS1&2. That's incidentally also where this le quirky jokes crap comes from. All these socially retarded, terrified, cowardly millennials regurgitating the same blandly inoffensive speech to each other on the internet and in their garbage writing classes. BG1&2's writing may -- as people keep insisting -- have been crap, but at least it wasn't whatever this crime against humanity is. At least Disco Elysium did something different, and the same with those slav games like the witcher ones. It may not necessarily be great, but at least it's at worst a different flavour of crap. Even that witcher single-player card game felt like a breath of fresh air in the writing department compared to all this other grabage. I booted up PoE2 recently to check out that turn-based mode they added and almost wanted to kill myself just playing through the introduction. Contemporary western video games writers should be put in front of the Hague.

Anyway. It'll be commercially successful, and then completely forgotten. Nobody will be talking about BG3 ten years from now, never mind 20. But they will keep talking about BG1&2 until the day that they die. Put a fucking remindme on wherever you do that shit and get back to me in a decade or two, I'll be proven right.
The joke is on you, I never played throgh D:OS 1 and 2. Now you look like a fool, ah ah!

I think you are right and I hope you are wrong. In any case, even if this is not going to be an everlasting classic, I don't care: I just want to have fun with it. I just want to play a turn-based D&D game, that's it. It will be BG3 only in name and it won't be a classical masterpiece, it's fine. I just want to cast Haste and make my additional attack.

The said they're planning to implement the rest of the class. Wonder if they're going to do just the core 12 or if Artificer will be in.
I would be satisfied with the core 12 and, after the announcement of "8 classes to begin with", even that seems pretty optimistic.

4 man party, from what we see in the review.

Unknown, but I see a video mentions they show level 3 gameplay, which is 8 to 10 hours later, so you might get to level 10 to 12 at the end of the game? Or if you go by the 100 hours game play time you might get to 20 in the very late game.

Unknown, but very likely since D:OS 2 has mods supported from the very beginning.
If it's a 4 man party I am gonna phisycally assault Swen.

What is with Larian and initiative? Stop trying to fix what isn't broken guys. Everyone rolls adds dex the end.
You would believe someone among 350 people would figure it out.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
DoS 2 combat but without armor and initiative shit?
Larian writing but without goof and silly charcters?
DoS 2 graphics but with a bit more style?

Still not hyped but these are good news indeed. 2020-21-22 will be glorious for RPGs with this nice edition.

DraQ

Arcane
That is not my point really,both are good systems and have great games done with it. I do like both of them. The problem is all those retards that could only play TB and want every RPG to be turned in to a TB one. The ones that cheer as BG ends up as TB,a franchise that had at least 6 rtwp games in its realm/world. Such people are literally like the sjws on twatter,they just circlejerk each other in to deluding themself that everyone else is like them and screech heresy at everyone that doesn't bend to their dogma.
Quit whining you butthurt fuck.
TB and RT (of all kinds) are both valid for the right type of game.
Single protagonists games work best in RT as they don't really have much to gain from TB but they do have much to lose, party based games work best with some variety of TB.

RTWP is a mistake and clusterfuck you get when hastily refurbishing aborted RTS engine for cRPG.

Tytus

Arcane
One thing Larian could've done differently to troll the entire RPG audience is go with RTT system (Real Time Turns).

Basically you queue up your moves during your turn, and the enemy does the same, then you have like 5-6 second turn where everybody is moving at the same time executing commands and you as a player have no control over it. Then it's back to issuing commands again. It has both the franticness and awesome explosions of RTwP and meticulousness of a TB system. And if pretty much hated by everyone. I only saw some JRPGs trying to implement it and it's a majestic chaos. It's a shame they didn't go this route. The butthurt would be glorious and everybody would remember BG3 for years and years :P

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's ironic some strong defenders of Larian around the internet call RTwP combat as old and archaic thing and turn-based as new and modern, like some did with action vs. turn-based in 2000s.

Any impressions of what people outside of Codex think of the dialogue system?

Probably a bit more positive than Codex, but not by a lot I think.

4 man party, from what we see in the review.

Previews and party screen UI indicate that but two of leaked sceeenshots show 5-man party.

rPPA08Q.jpg
7GFmb60.jpg

Interestingly official press kit doesn't have these screenshots. I wonder why.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RTWP is a mistake and clusterfuck you get when hastily refurbishing aborted RTS engine for cRPG.

I never understood how RTWP got so popular from a P&P adaptation of all things. The devs just created extra work for themselves. P&P combat rules can be copied almost 1:1 in most CRPGs.

Same with Kingmaker. The devs could have copied the encounters directly from the AP if they had used TB combat, no need for so many trash fights.

flushfire

Augur
RTwP encourages bad behaviour like "kiting" for example (...) TB does not have this problem

Not to mention RTwP also encourages the developer to throw much bigger trash mobs against you (...) TB does not have this problem
TIL there's no kiting or trash mobs in TB games.

Jesus Fucking Christ :deathclaw:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TwP has some severe issues that are sadly built-in and I never seen any game that managed to address it.
Alright, I'm down to hear them.
With RTwP games, especially the harder ones, you are must heavily rely on abusing the pause button, because AI of your team is sadly lacking and no amount automation (so far) was able to fix it. Your party will fire spells into your line, use AOEs incorrectly, waste healing using it too early or too late, they won't react to flanking or being flat-footed correctly etc.
This isn't an issue for me though. Pressing the pause button repeatedly, especially in harder fights, doesn't equate to "abusing" the pause button? What does that even mean? You're meant to be able to pause at any time for precisely the reasons you listed above. Plus, many of the things you mentioned can be avoided by turning off party AI, which is what I and I'd assume anyone else who has played IE games for a while does, and microing all your units in the particularly hard boss fights.
RTwP is designed (at least in theory) to be more action oriented and a faster type of gameplay, but in the end it forces you to micro almost everything reducing to encounter speed to a slog, thus kinda defeating the purpose of the entire exercise.
Wrong, and I'm surprised you don't see the inconsistency in what you typed. A player only has to resort to severe microing with tons of pausing in the hardest fights in the game. When it comes to the low level mobs that are meant to inhabit dungeons, and even the harder mid-level fights that are mini-bosses in the game, you can get away with having party AI on and just taking pauses when it's time to do normal things (switch enemies, cast spells, do special tactics, etc), which does not fit your definition of "heavily abusing the pause button". So using your logic, the game only becomes a "slog" when you're in really hard fights, and said fights are meant to take up a lot of time.
I almost don't like calling it a problem. It's more of a feature really.
It is a feature mate. That's why it comes down to whether or not people enjoy RTwP or don't.

You only mentioned ONE issue, and the thing you mentioned isn't an issue.
When you say, RTwP is more complex and combat diverse and I will have to disagree. It becomes stale very very fast.
IWD is a game that is comprised entirely of RTwP combat and is often heralded as a top ten-twenty RPG. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are also filled with RTwP combat and are also heralded as great RPGs. Outside of the IE games, no other series has done RTwP in a way that isn't complete dog shit.
RTwP encourages bad behaviour like "kiting" for example just because you complex uber-fun fast paced combat system will do a bullshit move and spawn enemy mobs behind you to surround you (Looking at you Kingmaker).
Kingmaker was shit, so w/e.
TB does not have this problem. And the fact that is a small puzzle, makes much more complex than RTwP because when and if you fuck up it's almost entirely your fault.
Plenty of instances in hard, TB games, where fuck ups are due to shit RNG or the nature of your character build. And putting that aside, I fail to see how the example you listed means you fucking up is any less your fault? Kingmaker aside, IWD and BG never spawned enemies behind you unless it was a specific combat encounter, and kiting is an exploitation of the combat mechanics and shouldn't be used as a strike against the game/combat's quality (plenty of instances of great, TB games, having exploits in their systems). You're making claims but they're rooted in nothing.
the game still pulls a bullshit move on you, as the system itself is not good enough to play fair.
Again, when does the system pull bullshit moves on you? Put Kingmaker aside, because it's dogshit. This was not an issue in IE games.
Not to mention RTwP also encourages the developer to throw much bigger trash mobs against you. Making games really silly. When you completed like 50% of the game, it was like 3 months in-game time and you already killed 900 people/enemies/monsters. (Again reducing the speed of the game and turning especially dungeon crawls and grind filled slogs) TB does not have this problem, because the system itself demands less trash mobs and makes the encounters carrying more weight to them.
Disagree on a fundamental level. I expect there to be a ton of mobs if I'm fighting my way through Dragon's Eye, as the whole point is Yxuionemi is building up an army to enact her evil plans. It wouldn't feel right if there were only like 20 goblins and five serpent people plus one or two other special mobs that my party had to kill. Same thing applies to countless examples throughout the IE series. Durlag's Tower, Nashkel Mines, Dorn's Depths, etc. Trash mobs become an issue when they're time consuming to deal with, and the combat system isn't good enough to facilitate a player's enjoyment, even when they're in between the really fun combat encounters/quests/plot elements/etc.
And hey you can like a flawed system that is your prerogative it's ok to have guilty pleasures, but many people don't want to play a system that has this many issues.
Lolk. You didn't name any issues, you named personal gripes you might have with RTwP that I, and others that enjoy RTwP, consider necessary and enjoyable aspects of the system.

EDIT: And homie above me addressed kiting and trash mobs which are also present in TB games. Nice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I never understood how RTWP got so popular from a P&P adaptation of all things. The devs just created extra work for themselves. P&P combat rules can be copied almost 1:1 in most CRPGs.

Same with Kingmaker. The devs could have copied the encounters directly from the AP if they had used TB combat, no need for so many trash fights.
Making it more popular,evolving a stale genre.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finally had time to watch the gameplay. Doesn't look good like BG1/2 BUT at the same time looks better than what modern bioware would do to BG. I will probably purchase the game. The visuals are "dosized" but that is it.

Honestly i an so disappointed with modern games that only by not seeing a dialog wheel, it gives a little hope to me. The fact that seens that they are using vancian magic instead of wow magic is another huge plus. I was constant pausing in mid of combat to see if i can read what spells do and found no cooldown. The unique problem is this attacks with 99% of chance to hit. Looks like they are rolling the dice 3 times and picking the higher value...

At 30:00 - He trew his boots in the enemy. Amazing. I love when RPG's give that type of freedom. Rests to know if i can be a necromancer raising armies or is will be a one summon limit. The ranges of bow seens to be very short TBW. But even PF:KM has this problem.

At 36:00 - Be able to use the scenario fire to ignite arrows. Another amazing gimmicky

https://youtu.be/7bRyG5WpIMY

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The unique problem is this attacks with 99% of chance to hit. Looks like they are rolling the dice 3 times and picking the higher value...

I wonder how the hell AC is going to work if they are doing that.

Unless they've just changed Armour to provide DR like the Pathfinder alternative armour rules system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom