Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ashen - a new Souls-like

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is the game actually balanced for co-op? In From games co-op is basically a "Win now" button, what about Ashen?

Salvo

Arcane
Is the game actually balanced for co-op? In From games co-op is basically a "Win now" button, what about Ashen?

This game is DESIGNED around Co-op, so much that it gives you an NPC companion if you play offline. Going solo is basically gimping yourself HARD. There will be moments when you'll have to face 15+ enemies at the same time, and being alone vs being with a buddy makes a huge world of difference.

Either way, companion isn't an "I Win" button, they can die if not supported and will not respawn until you go to rest, and if you do enemies will respawn too.

cruel

Cipher
I don't see a topic created. This was released exclusively on Epic Games store for now:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ashen/home

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKak8OStnB4

Gameplay (20min):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtQtnpcHV0

It currently sits on 6.8 user score on Metacritic, around Lords of the Fallen ranking. Anybody played it? Wondering if it's worth it, I'm looking for something that will fill the gap before Sekiro comes. Worst case scenario will just replay first Dark Souls for like 7th time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once you have played Dark Souls for the 7th time, you are obligated to post a review.

I can't help with your Ashen questions, though.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Curious to see if they're going to discount the price.

They should.

They should also add something extra content to the game because the user scores are not that great.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Curious to see if they're going to discount the price.

They should.

They should also add something extra content to the game because the user scores are not that great.
It's not about content, really, the game was designed to be fun DS Light and I enjoyed it as such. But I do hope they got enough moolah from Epic to make a more fleshed out sequel.

Ivan

Arcane
Same kinda deal w/ Salt and Sanctuary. I feel like they could do much better with that foundation.

Arnust

Savant
If you've actually seen the trailer, there's definitively a new cutscene/area teased at the end. I'm looking forward to doing a proper all-coop run with a buddy as of the Steam release. That said I hope there's crossplay, else I'll have to buy it in the Egg store anyway or them to get it again on Steam.

I tried this but gave up after a few hours past the first boss. The game is just too easy, which defeats the entire souls-like approach. It does to a lot well though. The environment is beautiful, the NPC AI is pretty good, the stories are mysterious and captivating enough, and watching the town being built around you is brilliant. Still, i found the combat (which is the main focus of the game) to be simple and repetitive, and there's just not enough loot. It's also not really an Arr Pee Gee. I'm not sure if it actually does have any C&C or character expression. Overall, i'd rather play Elex or even good ol' DS again over this.

It is no more "the point" of the game as playing DS with a summon.
Eh.. no. The community aspect is the central plot point of the game. It's all about the world being reborn out of darkness and societies being formed. Considering that co-op is a huge part of this game, i gotta say that you have simply missed the point.

PrettyDeadman

It is no more "the point" of the game as playing DS with a summon.
Eh.. no. The community aspect is the central plot point of the game. It's all about the world being reborn out of darkness and societies being formed. Considering that co-op is a huge part of this game, i gotta say that you have simply missed the point.
It is exactly like dark souls with regards to coop - easy if you use it, hard if you don't. So what your comment about defeating dark-souls approach was about then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom