Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Thats baffling, they are handing out their IP to literally who's like n-space but not to a guy like Fargo?
Because ineptile isn't a literal who studio by now :lol:

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
If we analyze the two tweets superficial then:
  1. Brian Fargo tweeted it
  2. Chris Avellone referenced to Brian Fargo
  3. Mr. Ave used the keyword "crafty"
A possible conclusion:
Brian Fargo managed it to be the man for BG3.
If I am not missinformed then he was something like "retiring"?!
And that, not really by choice?!
So, here comes the word "crafty" by Chris Avellone into the play.

deama

Prophet
I hope they're gonna continue the story, otherwise what would be the point in buying an IP but then just creating a sequel that barely has anything to do with the originals?

Would be pretty hard to continue the story, considering you are a god by the end of ToB. Level 30 combat among gods would be kinda boring. Especially if they do the usual RPG thing. "Hey buddy, I know you are a god and all, but I got these rats in my basement..." Except those rats cast Time Stop.

On the other hand, they could make your character from the previous games the new villain. "After xXxXLeetxXcNutsxXx ascended to godhod, he became a real asshole..."

deama

Prophet
Would be pretty hard to continue the story, considering you are a god by the end of ToB. Level 30 combat among gods would be kinda boring. Especially if they do the usual RPG thing. "Hey buddy, I know you are a god and all, but I got these rats in my basement..." Except those rats cast Time Stop.

On the other hand, they could make your character from the previous games the new villain. "After xXxXLeetxXcNutsxXx ascended to godhod, he became a real asshole..."
What? Nah, you can easily continue it! By the end of TOB the ending slides said you became a very low level (lesser) God in a sea of varying Gods. Just make it a "become the bestest God" type of main quest? Since you're a god of death, you can easily just revive old party members and make them avatars and use them in your party, that could lead to some great outcomes like reviving Severok and having some bantering with him (again).

The thing just writes itself! You can enter other planes of other Gods and conquer them, you even have your own plane, so introducing a mechanic of defending your own plane could be viable! Add a worshipping mechanic where you gain more power the more followers you have! There's just so much room to play with the sequel!

EDIT: WTF IS UP WITH YOU RETARDS? YOU WANT ANOTHER FUCKING DND CLONE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING INTERESTING LIKE PLAYING AS A GOD ??? FUCK YOU CUNTS! THAT'S WHY WE HAVE SHIT LIKE WASETLAND 2! NUMENUMA! BARDS TALE: THE BARD GATE! AND FUCKING SWEN RUINING HIS GAMES!

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
:lol:In the end all your hopes will be broken to pieces, like allways. Seriously the only chance to get BG3, Arcanum 2, Arx Fatalis 2, Fallout 3, Vampire: the Masquerade 3, Ultima 10, Deus Ex 2 is through time travel and funding original devs.
Now there are Iron Tower Studio, Stygian Software, Whalenought Studios :incline:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So let's list some candidates.
  • Larian - Currently the most successful CRPG developer (so likely the most wanted by publishers and IP owners that want to do CRPGs). They have 150~170 developers and working on new project(s). Also WotC's recent brand strategy aligns pretty well with their co-op gameplay. But they explicitly denied the rumor.
  • inXile - They're currently working on Wasteland 3 and battle royale game as well as updates for BT4. Also Fargo's dubious relationship with WotC.
  • Beamdog - They have seemingly good relationship with WotC. But since the departure of David Gaider they lost a number of developers. According to the recent livestream "about 2/3" of their team is working on NWN:EE, and the rest of them probably is working on the browser strategy game. So, likely no capability for a new CRPG now.
  • Obsidian - They probably have capability to make a new D&D CRPG, but making this will cannibalize PoE, their own IP.
  • Owlcat - Dunno.
Also wild cards:
  • Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider establish a new studio in Edmonton - What are they doing?
  • James Ohlen establishes a new studio in Austin - After leaving BioWare, he's now making a third-party D&D sourcebook for D&D 5e.
  • edit: oh yeah also MCA. But dunno, he can work with any of the above except Obsidian.
  • Some unrelated studio with no RPG experience - If WotC didn't learn anything with Sword Coast Legends.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
  • Larian - Currently the most successful CRPG developer (so likely the most wanted by publishers and IP owners that want to do CRPGs). They have 150~170 developers and working on new project(s). Also WotC's recent brand strategy aligns pretty well with their co-op gameplay. But they explicitly denied the rumor.
  • inXile - They're currently working on Wasteland 3 and battle royale game as well as updates for BT4. Also Fargo's dubious relationship with WotC.
  • Beamdog - They have seemingly good relationship with WotC. But since the departure of David Gaider they lost a number of developers. According to the recent livestream "about 2/3" of their team is working on NWN:EE, and the rest of them probably is working on the browser strategy game. So, likely no capability for a new CRPG now.
  • Obsidian - They probably have capability to make a new D&D CRPG, but making this will cannibalize PoE, their own IP.
  • Owlcat - Dunno.
Also wild cards:
  • Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider establish a new studio in Edmonton - What are they doing?
  • James Ohlen establishes a new studio in Austin - After leaving BioWare, he's now making a third-party D&D sourcebook for D&D 5e.
  • edit: oh yeah also MCA. But dunno, he can work with any of the above except Obsidian.
  • Some unrelated studio with no RPG experience - If WotC didn't learn anything with Sword Coast Legends.
  • THQ Nordic taking the Spellforce/Jagged Alliance/Desperados thing to the next level (they're the most nostalgia-crazy publisher, and they don't have any IPs that BG3 would compete with)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Nobody fucking cares about Obshitian's own IP. It's dead jim.

They'd jump at the opportunity to work on a new D&D game, but I doubt it after how disrepectful Feargus treated WoTC in the not so distant past.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also, we know Larian already has contact to WotC as they used D&D to present their GM mode in.

I think it's pretty possible Larian is working on a D&D CRPG that is not Baldur's Gate (so they didn't lie by denying it and the story of Bester's colleague has some truth in it), and another studio is working on Baldur's Gate 3.

Multiple D&D CRPGs. :space:

THQ Nordic taking the Spellforce/Jagged Alliance/Desperados thing to the next level

Oh yeah, THQ Nordic, Focus Home, and Bigben. I wonder what Grimlore Games is working on right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Fargo's dubious relationship with WOTC" is just a silly Roguey/Fairfax meme imo. These companies don't hold grudges that long. 15 years later, management has changed, everything is different.

Case in point - remember that Wasteland and Bard's Tale may technically still be owned by Electronic Arts! Nobody would have believed 15 years ago that EA would sign contracts to allow third party devs to use their old IPs seemingly in perpetuity, but now they do.

That being said, I'd be surprised if Fargo was talking about himself.

Aemar

Arcane
Can't be Beamdog, they would rather be waiting for BG3 to be made in order to start working on its EE. It's all they do.

Fairfax

Arcane
Also, we know Larian already has contact to WotC as they used D&D to present their GM mode in.

I think it's pretty possible Larian is working on a D&D CRPG that is not Baldur's Gate (so they didn't lie by denying it and the story of Bester's colleague has some truth in it), and another studio is working on Baldur's Gate 3.

Multiple D&D CRPGs. :space:
WotC's CEO said this about licensed video games last December:
Right now we have a slate of four to five coming in 12 to 18 months and five or six set for 2020 and beyond across a variety of genres.

I think it's safe to assume at least a couple of these will be CRPGs.

"Fargo's dubious relationship with WOTC" is just a silly Roguey/Fairfax meme imo. These companies don't hold grudges that long. 15 years later, management has changed, everything is different.
Hardly a meme when they explicitly mentioned their previous issues with Fargo as something that "didn't help the situation". But yes, management has changed. Greg Leeds (Hasbro guy) was WotC's CEO at the time of that article. Now it's Chris Cocks (former MS guy, responsible for the recent digital push, heavily criticized on glassdoor).

Mortmal

Arcane
I think it's safe to assume at least a couple of these will be CRPGs.
Not even sure ! If its not obsidian , inxile or larian, it will end up as another hack and slash. Really you just have to see the lack of care Wotc has for the D&d brand . I am reading the 5E books,it really looks low budget prduct .Its similar to many indie retro d&d rpgs, with poor art and some stuff reused from ancient books.
Could be some shit like sword coast legends once again at the very best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom