Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Riel

Arcane
Steam Achievements!! I can't wait to enlarge my e-peen with my prowess in IWD... :negative:

The loot tables in Icewind Dale piss me off!

There is not a ton of magic loot to begin with (at least compared to Baldur's Gate 2), and then every other item has some limitation.

Nice helmet at the smithy in Kuldahar? Too bad, human, only for gnomes. Found a nice cape after 10 hours? Oh too bad, since it has +1 AC among 10 other stats, so you can't combine it with your +1 armor. A nifty ring that gives +1 strength? Aawww, it's only for Evil characters.

I am 20+ hours into the game, and still have 3-4 slots unoccupied with equipment. Never happened before in an IE game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

There is not a ton of magic loot to begin with (at least compared to Baldur's Gate 2), and then every other item has some limitation.

Nice helmet at the smithy in Kuldahar? Too bad, human, only for gnomes. Found a nice cape after 10 hours? Oh too bad, since it has +1 AC among 10 other stats, so you can't combine it with your +1 armor. A nifty ring that gives +1 strength? Aawww, it's only for Evil characters.

I am 20+ hours into the game, and still have 3-4 slots unoccupied with equipment. Never happened before in an IE game.

Munchkin exposed.

Munchkin exposed.

I actually much prefer the loot tables in BG1 to BG2, and the low key approach to loot. But the point is, when you finally found something good in BG1, it felt special and extra rewarding. In Incelwind Dale, on the other hand, when you finally find some special item after 10 hours of dungeon crawling, there is a 80% chance you can't even use it. This is pure retardation. Put THAT on your blog.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I actually much prefer the loot tables in BG1 to BG2, and the low key approach to loot.

BG2 has anything BUT a low-key approach to loot.

In Incelwind Dale, on the other hand, when you finally find some special item after 10 hours of dungeon crawling, there is a 80% chance you can't even use it. This is pure retardation. Put THAT on your blog.

Why would I entard myself on my own blog? Are you playing v1.06 or are you a faggot?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Found a nice cape after 10 hours? Oh too bad, since it has +1 AC among 10 other stats, so you can't combine it with your +1 armor.
http://www.gibberlings3.net/tweaks/
install wear multiple protection items tweak, choose PnP version, ie. you can wear more than one but only the highest +AC is apllied (but you benefit from other properties the items might have)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/08/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-new.html

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - New Updates

Take heart, fellow travelers! We're sending aid to the northernmost reaches of the Forgotten Realms to sustain you in your quests through the harsh and unforgiving territories of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition! The update for IWD:EE provides adventurers with features and fixes to light the way as you trek to the deepest recesses of the frozen tundra.

Read on for the full patch notes.

Features
  • Area of Effect spell markers are now available as a prototype.
    • Players can toggle this option on or off by addingSetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show AOE','1') to their Icewind Dale Baldur.lua
  • The Lance of Disruption spell projectile is now distinguishable from Alicorn Lance.
Fixes
  • If a party member is dead the game should not crash after captive villagers leave.
  • In Trials of the Luremaster, the Magic Mouth should open if the required skulls have been obtained.
  • In the Heart of Winter, it should be possible to enter the boathouse in Lonelywood.
  • In multiplayer, games should not crash while on the arbitration screen.
  • It should be possible to sell a quantity greater than one of rings or similar equipment from a container.
  • The iOS Export Character UI should use the Icewind Dale Character Extension.
  • In the iOS multiplayer, a player’s party members dying should not cause the other player’s game to hang.
  • You should not be able to dual-class if the requirements are not met.
  • Restoring the Elven Shrine quest should show as a completed quest when finished.
  • Result of single combat with Presio should not be said by party leader.
  • Color choices sliders should not lag when dragged.
  • In the iOS multiplayer, the title should not become unresponsive and crash when starting the dictation mode while entering a password protected session.
  • The ranger spell version of Minor Spell Deflection should use icons from wizard spell of the same name.
Localizations
  • New Priest of Tempus dialogue should not play in English for languages with localized audio.
  • In the Italian voiceover, Attack Sound 3 of the “Female Mage 4” soundset should match its text.
  • Italian voiceover should not be missing for Heart of Winter player soundsets.
  • Turkish text should not be different if the party leader is female.

Riel

Arcane
The area of effect area is something I always wished for when I cared for those games. Wtf, maybe a day I'll spin them again...

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seeing hordes of retards praising PF:K has made me want to replay IWD again. What is the order I should do HoW and TotL in conjunction with the main campaign if I'm playing on hard?

iguana_trader

Novice
I advise to finish IWD and then export the characters to HoW, that way you do not kill the pacing and anyways HoW seems to happen after the base game.
If you want the certified IWD expierience play 1.06 and then install HoW after finishing it. Also, loot tables are more fun - HoW makes some items unobtainable.
TotL happens during HoW, but I have never played it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Anyone got the Sawyer comment about how IWD:EE is imbalanced?

Fairfax

Arcane
Anyone got the Sawyer comment about how IWD:EE is imbalanced?
As one of the main designers on Icewind Dale, seeing the BG2 kits in there destroy all the balance kind of made me a little sad. The BG2 kits are really powerful and Icewind Dale was kind of balanced around one thing.

But it was still really cool to see it with all the tech upgrades. Trent Oster obviously has a long background with the Baldur's Gate series, so it's cool they'll make more.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
not touching IWD:EE anymore for that reason. Sorcerers waltzing all over the place with their spell selection while wizards have to scrounge around for those carefully placed scrolls is decline.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I was hoping it was a Tweet so that I could embed it.

My review goes into more depth.

Not just the kits but the +races, +spells, +modals, +bugs, +profs, +dual-wielding for not just rangers, -party arbitration etc.

Almost everything they added was retarded (Steam Achievements + Storymode + vid tutorials).

Anyone who gives this EE a free pass is a retard.

I like how every dev criticism of another dev has to have professional courtesy added afterwards:

"They completely fucked the balance of my game!"

"But I hope they enhance the other IEs, too!" (PS:T and IWD2 was all that was left at that stage, and IWD2 source code can't be located, thank god.)

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Who cares? It was everyone's fucking wet dream to play IWD with the BG2 engine (just like everyone wanted to play BG with the BG2 engine). Go play the originals then. Oh, you don't have the original game? Fuck you then you piece of filth. Fucking Millennial scum. Fuck you.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have the original IWD in my GOG library, a backup copy on HD AND the original retail CD versions. Beamdog can kiss my ass.

Anyone who buys an infity engine EE is a fucking race traitor.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Almost everything they added was retarded (Steam Achievements
Why are steam achievements retarded in your opinion?

I also feel the allure to collect dem achievements like a hoarder, and if you stop to think, it's goddamn stupid. But that's the way Steam is built. How about the emoticons, wallpapers, etc that cost actual money.

In the end I'm happy playing in my bubble, I have several people I've met IRL on Steam, but I'm not there to boast or to have people look at my profile, so achievements are useless, pandering, and addiction builders.

The classic games would be the preferred option 100% of the time, if they weren't so FUGLY played on a 1080 screen. You can scale them with no effort to play at their native resolutions, but that is beyond retarded and defeats the purpose of having a modern screen. The best way to play IE games should be to have an operational computer from the early 2000s and that's like the most retarded option of all.

No, the EEs are here to stay and in the case that there's no good future or present D&D game, we may even see further versions of the IE games.

Xeon

Augur
I am playing IWDEE now and I could be wrong but the pathing feels a little worse than when I first played it, party members keep getting stuck at places or running into each other constantly.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The classic games would be the preferred option 100% of the time, if they weren't so FUGLY played on a 1080 screen. You can scale them with no effort to play at their native resolutions, but that is beyond retarded and defeats the purpose of having a modern screen.
I wonder, is it your eyes or what lays behind them?

Theldaran

Liturgist
The classic games would be the preferred option 100% of the time, if they weren't so FUGLY played on a 1080 screen. You can scale them with no effort to play at their native resolutions, but that is beyond retarded and defeats the purpose of having a modern screen.
I wonder, is it your eyes or what lays behind them?

Try harder, man.

I am playing IWDEE now and I could be wrong but the pathing feels a little worse than when I first played it, party members keep getting stuck at places or running into each other constantly.

Basically, they didn't enhance shit. They even broke some things. Hilariously, then they had to fix them, or even leave them as-is.

These are gorgeous games when played in high-res, but I'm afraid the main selling point of EEs is improved graphics. The same happens with NWN, but maybe, just maybe, some tech aspects improved there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom