Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Mustawd

I mean it's just constructive criticism to be fair. But yah at the end of the day just stick with your vision. Your audience, I imagine, are BaK fans, so the photographed art won't bother them in the slightest (if done well). It's probably welcome.

EDIT: I actually think the higher res textures of the outdoor areas make it look better than BaK IMO. Ditto with better portrait costumes. I mean one of the reasons BaK always looked goofy to me was that those costumes were just goddawful (dat Owen wig).

Anyhow, with higher res textures, I think a scene like the one below would look better.
Betrayal_at_Krondor.jpg

EDIT 2: Also, I think keeping neutral lighting for the combat would work best IMO. For example:

Betrayal%20at%20Krondor_1.png

The first screenshot looks fine. Nothing offensive.

But the one below looks weird because there's an obvious strong shadow on the leftmost fighter, but ofc the background can't indicate that there's is that type of light source.

krond.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I actually see the photographic material as a positive thing in regards to the promotion of CoS. I've already got many people interested in the game just because of that... it's tough to stand out from the crowd nowadays anyway. Nevertheless, this is just another thing that confirms me being right to follow my vision and not give in to "pressure" from those who do not see equal.

Mustawd

Also, there are some ppl who might dislike one or two aspects of your game, but will still buy and play it. Like XCOM games I dislike APs since TUs are better iMO. But I still bought XCOM and plan to buy XCOM2 one day. Just because I enjoy squad tactics games more than I dislike APs.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Also, there are some ppl who might dislike one or two aspects of your game, but will still buy and play it. Like XCOM games I dislike APs since TUs are better iMO. But I still bought XCOM and plan to buy XCOM2 one day. Just because I enjoy squad tactics games more than I dislike APs.
Of course you can't please everyone, that's what the free to play market is TRYING to do. :)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
After thinking about it for a while I think that my main problem with using real-life photography is that most of it looks out of place. I think a more stylized/pixelated look (like here https://i.imgur.com/SOLHvlB.png) is the way to go. Clear photographs just look like someone put in a stock photo while prototyping and never bothered to get some actual art assets.

Mustawd

I have to agree that I think the pixelated look is more genuine and fits the rest of the aesthetic better..

AdolfSatan

Arcane
On the subject of photography, something I think we can all agree is of the upmost importance: Will there be scantily clad priestesses to the god of implants? This in keeping with the spirit of BaK, of course.
Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, all you need is a clean-ish sheet and a brooch. You call a hooker. Get the photos. Get herpes. Three months later you announce that CoS now features 40 temples each with its own distinct priestess and you've blown all your budget for the remainder of the year. Now you're kickstarting a remake of Bard's Tale in order to get the money to finish CoS. Boom, magic.

Also, how do you plan to distribute the skills amongst the characters? The progression system on BaK was great, but one can't hardly avoid noticing that most of the skills were pointless: There was no reason for Locklear or Gorath to have the barding ability when it was pretty obvious that none other than Owyn would use it, that's what I mean.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
On the subject of photography, something I think we can all agree is of the upmost importance: Will there be scantily clad priestesses to the god of implants? This in keeping with the spirit of BaK, of course.
Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, all you need is a clean-ish sheet and a brooch. You call a hooker. Get the photos. Get herpes. Three months later you announce that CoS now features 40 temples each with its own distinct priestess and you've blown all your budget for the remainder of the year. Now you're kickstarting a remake of Bard's Tale in order to get the money to finish CoS. Boom, magic.

Fascinating! I should have you onboard as the creative director, but then again I cannot risk losing younger audiences due to the increased age rating. ;)

Also, how do you plan to distribute the skills amongst the characters? The progression system on BaK was great, but one can't hardly avoid noticing that most of the skills were pointless: There was no reason for Locklear or Gorath to have the barding ability when it was pretty obvious that none other than Owyn would use it, that's what I mean.

I’m keeping it very much as BaK did, although admittedly I haven’t dwelled too long on the subject. I’ve just reorganized certain skills and will try to keep them used throughout the game. You’ve given me food for thought though...

V_K

Arcane
While I understand that this is an homage to BaK, the low-poli monotextured hills are taking it a bit too far I think. They need a bit more curvature/texture variation to match the detail level of other props. Something closer to Wiz8 or Gothic level.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
While I understand that this is an homage to BaK, the low-poli monotextured hills are taking it a bit too far I think. They need a bit more curvature/texture variation to match the detail level of other props. Something closer to Wiz8 or Gothic level.
I know what you mean and I'll probably add detail in the long run. For now though, I just need them to be a boundary for exploration.

majestik12

Arcane
NPCs look awesome. But player characters need more personality, something to make them stand out from the NPC crowd. They look to generic right now, IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom