Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
then never affected the game again.

No, this is wrong. The origins affected the dialogues throught the game, expecially in specific areas related to the origin you have chosen. Human noble is relevant in Denerim for the political games, and the fighting against Howe has special dialogues.

Yosharian

Arcane
then never affected the game again.

No, this is wrong. The origins affected the dialogues throught the game, expecially in specific areas related to the origin you have chosen. Human noble is relevant in Denerim for the political games, and the fighting against Howe has special dialogues.
Ok that is true actually. I had forgotten about that.

Ivan

Arcane
200.webp

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
https://wccftech.com/cdpr-johnny-is-more-complex-relatable-keanu/
Speaking to Xbox: The Official Magazine (September 2019, issue 180), CD Projekt RED’s Story Director Marcin Blacha described the thought process behind choosing Keanu Reeves as well as how the renown actor of The Matrix and John Wick helped define Johnny’s character in Cyberpunk 2077.

It’s a complex relationship, definitely something that will evolve and grow as you play. Johnny is an icon and a very powerful character, but—in their own way—so is V. Both will often butt heads, but I think they will also learn something from each other.

Keanu Reeves has this history of playing characters who fight for something and Silverhand is definitely fighting for something. Or at least he was in 2020. When we thought of an actor for this role, we didn’t approach it on a ‘who’s the biggest celebrity now’ basis —the actor had to have a connection with the character, so it made sense. Cyberpunk 2077 is not a game about Keanu Reeves, it’s a game about Johnny who is played by Keanu. I think it’s something often forgotten when casting for roles for games. Similarly, remember Emperor Emhyr in The Witcher 3? When we decided to cast Charles Dance, he just made sense for that role—he had this regal aura to him, also because of who he played in Game Of Thrones back then. I think that history played a role in how Johnny finally turned out. A good actor, and Keanu is a great actor, will always infuse their character with a bit of their own special thing. I think, thanks to Keanu, Johnny is more relatable and complex, but at the same time has not lost any of his original rebelliousness and punch.

Blacha also added that the developers are striving to always provide players with options regarding what’s going on in the game.

We try very hard for the players to always have a say in what’s going on. We do that either through using dialogue to influence the situation or by simply giving players the freedom to move or look around during dialogue or cutscenes. Also, we try to never break immersion – in the 2018 demo, remember how we connected to the woman in the bathtub? Information was presented directly on the cornea. If you don’t use fast travel, there are no loading screens, too. Finally, there’s character creation, where we plan to give you options to create the V you can say is yours. From choosing a body type to facial features, hairstyles, skin tone, voice—there’s a lot there to play with.

Also,
fkdr7bfj73d31.jpg

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Massive article:
Whoever did the graphic design on that article is a spaz.

Anyway, I'm interested in the dichotomy between Silverhand and V. At first Silverhand seemed like V's Navi, but now they're describing him more like the main character of the entire story. Makes sense they would go this route. Geralt wasn't the main character in TW3.

Also, "We need to cater to what you'd want to do and try to predict what any V would say in a given situation" warms me cockles. I hope they can pull that off.

Wesp5

Arcane
Also, "We need to cater to what you'd want to do and try to predict what any V would say in a given situation" warms me cockles. I hope they can pull that off.

I agree. I also like the bit about showing your equipment during cutscenes, because this is a huge immersion breaker to me in other games e.g. Kingdom Come Deliverance!

Zer0wing

Cipher
because this is a huge immersion breaker to me in other games e.g. Kingdom Come Deliverance!
Pure technical limitation, Warhorse is not pleased with prerendered cutscenes either. CryEngine is a bitch to work with when it comes to open world RPGs I presume and requiers alot more blue ductape.

Wesp5

Arcane
Pure technical limitation, Warhorse is not pleased with prerendered cutscenes either.

But these cutscenes didn't look prerendered to me, at least if they were they were rendered in Cryengine itself which makes the whole thing stupid! Also they sometimes did worse things, like after defeating the first boss with a bow the cutscene shows you doing it with a sword. They should have at least checked for that possibility and provided a different cutscene...

Codex Year of the Donut
Pure technical limitation, Warhorse is not pleased with prerendered cutscenes either.

But these cutscenes didn't look prerendered to me, at least if they were they were rendered in Cryengine itself which makes the whole thing stupid! Also they sometimes did worse things, like after defeating the first boss with a bow the cutscene shows you doing it with a sword. They should have at least checked for that possibility and provided a different cutscene...
They're pre-rendered. I didn't even notice until Smejki pointed it out.

Quillon

Arcane

How can you not notice equipment change on your character?

Codex Year of the Donut

How can you not notice equipment change on your character?
I just assumed it was an ingame cutscenes that used default equipment.

Quillon

Arcane
In in-game cutscenes character armor shouldn't change, usually only weapons change and that's usually for guns...but whatever, I'd rather see less glorious in-game cutscenes then immersion breaking "glorious" cutscenes that the engine can't handle real-time.

Okagron

Prophet
I played all of them. Rarely do they present any semblance of proper roleplay. Just one choice for "agree to do X" and one choice for "disagree to do X". They don't give me options how to say it – maybe I want to roleplay someone greedy and want the dialogue to reflect that, maybe I want to play someone with anger issues, maybe I want to play someone else entirely. If you played PnP and said the exact same shit that's presented in the dialogue options of those games, you'd get kicked from the table mighty quick for abhorrent roleplay, since you'd be boring everyone else there to tears. Premade characters give you the exact same options, but at least have a personality of their own – PC in Gothic doesn't go around saying 5 word sentences of generic shit, he goes on to say things his way, with personality and flavour. I wonder whether people who shill for character creation actually ever played a PnP game, because claiming that the shit that's presented to you in dialogue in Fallout games somehow has personality is blatant bullshit.
I have never such a retarded post in my entire life. There are a lot quests in those games that got well beyond "agree to do X" or "disagree to do X" and you are a dumbfuck for even claiming that it doesn't go beyond that.

Not to mention characters can showcase their personality with so much more than just dialogue and that's through actions. Do you sneak past? Do you just kill? Do you smooth talk to make things easier for you or get a better reward?

Then there's the morality of your character when there's several ways to tackle a quest, each having their own morality. Do you do the good path? the bad path? Or if it has neither of those, which grey path do you take? All devs need to do is to add paths that can fit a wide array of characters and add specific consequences for each path. Multiple paths can show how much your character is willing to do to finish a quest and that can show so much personality in your premade character.

And last there are multiple dialogue options in games like VTMB and Fallout 1/2/New Vegas where you can say different things in different tones and it will advance the quest.

thesecret1

Arcane
I have never such a retarded post in my entire life. There are a lot quests in those games that got well beyond "agree to do X" or "disagree to do X" and you are a dumbfuck for even claiming that it doesn't go beyond that.

Not to mention characters can showcase their personality with so much more than just dialogue and that's through actions. Do you sneak past? Do you just kill? Do you smooth talk to make things easier for you or get a better reward?

Then there's the morality of your character when there's several ways to tackle a quest, each having their own morality. Do you do the good path? the bad path? Or if it has neither of those, which grey path do you take? All devs need to do is to add paths that can fit a wide array of characters and add specific consequences for each path. Multiple paths can show how much your character is willing to do to finish a quest and that can show so much personality in your premade character.

And last there are multiple dialogue options in games like VTMB and Fallout 1/2/New Vegas where you can say different things in different tones and it will advance the quest.
Neither multiple option quests, nor approaches to mission completion are what I am reffering to, and you can do either with a premade character just as easily. I was reffering to the behavior of the character, his personality. In witcher, Geralt acts like Geralt. He has his array of personality traits, he has a way of speaking, he has a way of behaving. In blank slate games, there is no such thing. At best, you get a couple options to say the something in different ways (and it's not that common to see even that), but none of it is tracked in any way. You are free (or rather forced, when you don't get enough dialogue options) to pick completely arbitrary responses. Be a gruff asshole in one conversation, and a righteous paladin in another. You could make a case for picking what you roleplay and following through with it, but it's incredibly rare for a game to actually offer that. I go on to play a gurff barbarian... only to later be met with dialogue that offers me to either make a snarky, ironic comment or a goody two shoes reply. Too bad neither of them is something that fits what I was roleplaying up until then. The only game that comes to mind that actually allowed for this sort of roleplay was PS:T. Games with pre-defined characters, however, are always consistent, since they know that every option the player might choose should be worded as gruff barbarian. You can argue that this limits your options, and that being able to pick something other than gruff barbarian should be a possibility, and you do have a point there, but as long as the devs are unable to deliver the options to actually support such choices, and provide us with bland shit like FO3's MC, I will preffer pre-defined characters. After all, it is better to roleplay a gruff barbarian than something that has literally no personality.

Zer0wing

Cipher
yea its never warhorses fault...
all those broken mechanics are cos of cryengine too.
...I didn't say it's not their fault, you mongoloid. I just stated the obvious, it's totally their fault for making their own work much harder.

Though, how many open world games back in 2013 were not made by big AAA studios using in-house tools? No, Far Cry 3 doesn't count, Ubisoft only knows how much of CryEngine is left in their Dunia Engine.

Zer0wing

Cipher
you certainly didnt say that...
I didn't mean it in a same apologist sense as you saying it is.
It is stupid since it is prerendered either on CryEngine or using in-game assets. Same stupidity happens to be in Witcher 3, some cutscenes are prerendered on the engine. It's an eastern europe game development.

Wesp5

Arcane
The only game that comes to mind that actually allowed for this sort of roleplay was PS:T.

VTM Bloodlines tried it too. Like when you played a low humanity character, the lower you got the more you would only get low humanity lines...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom