Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Copper Dreams - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios - now in ALPHA

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Strange Fellow Arcane Patron

Strange Fellow
    It's still a shit analogy. Not everyone feels the same way about the importance of the visual style, while I doubt you'd find many who'd be satisfied with art deco Mona Lisa as long as the frame is solid. Did you really back it for the visuals only?

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's kinda a big deal though, don't you think? It kinda went from gray dystopian ps1 look to acid trip freak out.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Dude, you really wanna nail me down on the accuracy of this fucking Mona Lisa analogy while pretending you don't get the gist of my argument? I made a couple of posts now, if you don't get, I can't express myself more clearly.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    It's not even just colours vs. drab for me, I'm confused about the game's tone.

Originally it looked like Deus Ex, or Syndicate. Now it's...what? Borderlands? That style could be used for cyberpunk, sure, but the screenshots really have ALL the colours. Not a single moody dark street to be seen, it's ALL neon. Is the game funnier now?

I'm just not seeing the conspiracy and opression and techno despair.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Strange Fellow Arcane Patron

Strange Fellow
    Alright, take it easy SausageInYourFace . I'm surprised at how many people here feel so betrayed by a change to an indie game's graphics, but that's your prerogative.

^It reminds me of those visually busy narrative-focussed comics I'd read when I was a kid. People have posted pictures in this thread. Maybe I'd be more upset if I didn't think it looks good.

I just googled these, don't know what they're from, but stuff like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    \/ and that one

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    Holy heck I can't agree more, now I can't wait for this to get out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Fish Arcane

The Fish
    A style like this won't be well realised in 3D any time soon but if they really want to go for this look then they need to be more strict with their colour palette. There's too much bright saturated green and red, and the controllable character in the gifs was too dark. They should stick to one dominant hue and be far more careful when adding saturated colours. If they want variance then they should make different locations differently coloured but keep each individual area limited to two or three colours, even if it makes the NPCs look like doppelgangers. Of course this might all create problems with readability but whatever.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. buffalo bill Savant

buffalo bill
    Not 100% sure about the first two, but I'd guess Hard Boiled and Moebius. Third is definitely Akira.

BTW, the art in Hard Boiled was inspiration for art in the original Fallout. I'd say the new Copper Dreams gfx gets closer to the images in Hard Boiled than Fallout did, except maybe for the excellent death animations of course.

Here's one that's definitely from Hard Boiled:
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Fundamentally changing aspects of the game after it has been kickstarted sets a bad precedent. What's stopping them changing whatever they want now? It's not really about who likes it or not, that is always going to be divisive on all topics ever. Some people like to say that the aesthetic is not a fundamental thing, but it is. Like it has been pointed out, it sets the tone. Was there never a concrete tone or any writing done before this? Or is the writing and tone not going to change, regardless of the aesthetic being a bad LSD trip? If the tone is indeed going to change, now we've changed 2 fundamental things about the game. If the original idea was dystopian corporate espionage or whatever, but is now a high camp satire alla Evil Genius (it kinda looks like it actually, just worse), it's starting to be a bit like a middle finger to backers, if it wasn't already.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    They've changed more than the art style and tone. They've been dicking around with respawn mechanics, combat mechanics, basic movement mechanics, hitpointless wound systems, extra cyber limbs. But at least it's still cyberpunk.

^ Top  
  11. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Fuck no. Not even once. This bullshit happens more often than not on Kickstarters.

Maybe they don't have a legally enforceable obligation to deliver what they promised. But they should, unless they want to work at Starbucks for the rest of their lives.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    I was probably one of the few people who actually liked the PS1 aesthetic. This new style is kinda cool too, but it's weird that they're still changing the aesthetic for their game and not really communicating about it to their backers. Reading the past few pages it seems like this game is still in some kind of development hell as they aren't able to figure out what they want this to be both aesthetically or mechanically. Glad I didn't back it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I love it how non backers are telling us backers how we should feel. Why don't you just fuck off?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    • butthurt butthurt x 3
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Fuck off yourself. As a backer to another

• Brofist x 5
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :avatard:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. grimace Erudite

grimace
    Shit posters gonna shit post.

Best to read the Kickstarter update for yourself. The design element that has been improving with each iteration is the visual aesthetic.

The PS1 visual aesthetic was proof of concept for the gameplay.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Except these have 2-3 predominant colors and not the entire rainbow and all its shades with the saturation set at maxxorzzz. They also aren't neon, but washed out and have harsher lines between objects. I don't care much that they've changed it (even though I backed it for other reasons), but it does indeed look terrible and not aesthetically justifiable on its own.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    I don't give a shit about their process. They asked for money to make Copper Dream. Now they make LSD Trip. Not what I gave them money for

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    LSD Dream. It is still part of the game you KSed :P

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    I'm ok with changes, I'm not attached to the Deux Ex Lite look, but I:

1) want to know if they're in trouble
    2) want to generally know what the game is now (as I said, I'm a bit lost in the iterations)

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    For something that was merely a proof of concept (do you have any proof that this was the case?), it was an oddly specific style they went for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Dude. I'm just a fan saying how *I* feel. Don't tell me I have to prepay for vaporware for my opinion to count. I will buy this game whenever they finish it, IF they finish it and I like the final product.

I don't know if the devs listen to non-backers but I've seen them in this thread. They should know that there are people like me waiting to give them our money if they deliver a good game and not a goddamn modern art project. But whatever they do I have no hard feelings against them, unlike you backers suckers.

Suckers for kickstarter. Worst thing ever.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You and others did more than just say how you feel. Non backers have zero right to complain how the game was pitched and changed during these years. All you can really rightfully comment on is how it is now and what you want from it at release.

• retadred x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    My ONLY concern is if I'll get a headache from playing it, like it was in Dark Souls...
    How big strain on the eyes will be?
    The rest didn't really matter.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. toro Arcane

toro
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)