Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    probably. BB might have been my first souls game and I only beat two bosses but cleric beast and father gascogne were harder early bosses than Iudex Gundyr and boreal dog.

can't fuck up something that was bad.

^ Top  
  2. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Yeah, straight swords should out range greatswords, even when the model is shorter. Totally.

edit: unrelated but don't want to double post.

So, if you are invading, you shouldn't try to kill anyone or do anything else because shit resets hard when you come back. I used a red eye and was sitting around on wall of lothric pew-pewing the wyvern, got it to about 40% hp and orb kicked in. Fight fight fight, host and blue kill me, I come back and wyvern is now at 100% hp.

It was at least like... 30-50 seconds of me pew-pewing him so ... it's not just the most recent things, it's like it goes from when the initial "got a lead" hits.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    ^ Top  
  3. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    Good fighting games come with hitbox/hurtbox viewers in their incredibly robust practice modes and a billion sperg tools in general Souls players wouldn't believe. Don't worry about shit; just mash R1 and let the random poorly thought out balance changes in a 95% single player game that hides as much information as it can wash over you

It probably just straight up resets enemy health when you come back from a summon. Quitting and re-entering the game does it.

^ Top  
  4. Murk Arcane

Murk
    In some cases it may respawn enemies too -- only noticed this when killing an enemy during the final few seconds tho; DS 2 didn't have that issue, it seemed to really save 'last thing that happened' well.

Yeah, in this game I don't think I'll be heavy into the PVP. it just doesn't feel good, and the endless chugging is crap design IMO. Fights last forever, too. I dunno, not my cup of tea. Game looks great tho. So far the best part is when you go to character gen screen and see the dope ass knight armor.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Old demon king is my favorite boss so far. I killed him in my 4th try. It seems that with him, FROM finally figured out a way to have a slow large boss that can't be easily defeated by hugging. I think he might make it to my all-time best souls bosses list.

I still don't like how little souls I get whenever I play co-op with someone. It's far less than the 50% of souls you would get from defeating a boss while being summoned as a phantom in DS1. Worse that I ran into a glitch that won't let me enter a boss room after the host.

Demon ruins have been ok. I don't like how do many places have the samey look to them.

I also don't like how there is still no ring that allows the player to walk on lava like souls 1.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    ^ Top  
  6. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    So far Cathedral of the deep has been the best level in the game. Doesn't have too many bonfires and does shortcuts appropriately. I was super surprised when patches showed up, really caught me offguard but I already killed the giants so his plan didn't work. Too bad the area had a shitty boss.

^ Top  
  7. CptMace Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Boss was shitty gameplay-wise but it was about hyping aldrich even more. People kept talking about the devourer on and on and when it's time to kick his ass - boom - your princess is in another castle.

I mean it's not like the congregation of DS2 or the skeleton lords. These guys made little sense.

^ Top  
  8. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    They actually managed to kill me the first time around because I played too cautiously and they finished their fancy doom spell, was a rather surprising way to die.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. toro Arcane

toro
    Killed Lord of Cinder in 1st try. Solo.

Then started another run and died 8 times on Iundex :) Second phase.

Anyway, already spent my 5 red cracked orbs. And surprise on first bonfire: got summoned by one guy with Ornstein armor !? And I beat him :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Coyote Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Coyote
    From a few pages ago, but...

For a melee-only character, just be ready to parry whenever they start breakdancing. If you've got decent reflexes, you should be able to consistently reaction parry it in PVP; I think I have more riposte kills against it than all other weapons combined. Don't know if anyone's tested it thoroughly, but it seems like you'll succeed at any point of the attack animation as long as you're in range and unstaggered.

^ Top  
  11. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Just killed aldrich. I tried to kill him whole night, and now I was succesful on 12 tries. I killed him by a great magic shield.

^ Top  
  12. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    man you guys overrated the fuck out of pontiff. I beat him first try with two estus flasks to spare. His combos aren't too long and unlike a lot of the normal enemies, his attacks are easily blockable and I didn't even loos much stamina blocking. He was a pretty good boss.

^ Top  
  13. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    i think it's because you debase yourself by using shields

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Better than rolling around like a retard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Murk Arcane

Murk
    parry him, then sit down so the attack animations go over your head

side note: caestus is the new monscim apparently

^ Top  
  16. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Aldritch was the toughest so far of all the bosses. Man, his magic attacks are impeccable and his embered form is difficult. It is hard to predict his attacks and his arrows take far too much damage. Beat him after 5 tries.

After doing the calculation, it seems I only get 1/4th of the souls the hosts gets when a boss is defeated. That's really shitty compared to getting half in DS1.

Wtf? Since when did NPCs start attacking invaders? This is bullshit.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    ^ Top  
  17. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Game has 378 flavors of plate armor, and too little everything else. Wtf.

Just found out there's a ton of NPCs in the game, but most of them didn't appear to me or disappeared forever after first contact: The onion dude from Catharina vanished after I met him in undead settlement; that pilgrim Yonlor (or something) died after leveling me up couple times and nobody else showed up. I've read theee is a bunch of chicks (Irina, sirris, anti, etc) that are supposed to show up in firelink, but, again,, none appeared to me. Shit, perhaps this explain the game feeling kinda empty in my playthrough.

Have you guys noticed the Cthulhu influence in the game ? Aldritch (which sounds like Eldritch) "hearing the call of the deep sea" or something and then going out devouring everyone and becoming the slug-like Old One-wannabe shown in the intro (I couldn't discern his body well on the actual boss fight with that fag Gwindolin over it).

Also, Bloodborne influences. Undead Settlement with its pointy-hat farmers and pitchforks, Abyss Watchers and their gothic pointy-hat helmets, the kings Black Hand "Hunters" with almost-Victorian hats and outfits. What's next ? Trick-weapons and blunderbusses in the DLC ?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    As for the Onion bro, he's in a certain spot but not when you first explore the map. He only appears after you're almost finished with the entire area. So unless you re-explore every nook and cranny of every already explored map every few hours or so you'd most likely never find him.

I kindda hate this tbh. It's the same shit as Miyazaki's hidden walls. If you wanna play completely blind and offline you'd have to roll along every fucking wall to make sure you got them all (some of them hide important items, NPCs or even entire areas and bosses). And if you play online you'll see all those messages pointing out all the secrets for you, therefore why even have fucking hidden walls. Some of them you can deduce from the environment, some of them by being observant but many of them are completely un-obvious.

As for the Bloodborn influences - just another hint this game is mostly an afterthought, half-heartedly thrown together from leftover assets and ideas to make some money for whatever new IP is Miyazaki working on right now. Kindda sad end for the series.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    The seed was absolutely necessary to prevent DS1 hour-of-faggotry shit where a 1v1 invader sits among mobs incessantly making it impossible for you to progress PvE, which is the otherwise the correct degenerate tactic for the invader (this is why 1v1 invasions usually socially collapse into the gentleman's laggy shit duel to get it over with). However, letting gank squads seed when the host already has summons like DS3 prefers to set up is stupid and having the seed grey out when you've summoned someone would be a good patch.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Why ? Invader still has to kill one guy instead of all. One good shot near ledge and you win. You have now rings that camuflage you red glow to white one, you have mad spirits and so on.

BTW i fought probably most awesome pvp moment in any of souls games.

I summoned dude to help me with crabs then slightly after that dark spirit ivaded.
    We started to fight, red dude strategically used groud and tried to move us toward crabs.
    I noticed mad phantom summon sign, ohh what the hell, started to summon mad spirit.
    Meanwhile some red blue phantom invaded and joined fight (farron i believe) which at that point was 2 vs 2 and generally fun clusterfuck.
    Mad phantom comes in and he does what madmen do. Starts to attack everyone.
    So we had 2 vs 2 vs 1

......... and then Blue phantom joins the fucking fight.

It was amazing clusterfuck of a fight. With people running all over map chasing each other or fighting light skimrishes in groups. Ultimately blue spirit died and my helper. Red phantom was at half life without flasks probably, mad phantom just stayed behind him like hiena and farron literally died because crab got him with smash while he tried to attack me (didn;t know farron could get hit by mobs).

Started to fight with red one while mad phantom pretended to watching duel sitting, after a while he backstabbed red one, i finished red one while mad took me out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. toro Arcane

toro
    I don't know if it was already mentioned but Namco release this statement: Poise is working as intended.

http://rebrn.com/re/bandai-namco-says-poise-is-working-as-intended-and-it-is-not-off-2601103/

:troll:

And in other news: DaS3 is the first game were a longsword has a longer range than a spear.

This is not an actual news but I started another run especially for a spear build and I found out this bullshit first hand.

Perhaps boss spear weapons are ok but regular spear is shit.

:deathclaw:

^ Top  
  23. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I finally beat the god-forsaken Boreal valley dog thing and I'm not sure this game is for me. Just like my short stint with DS1, it feels like smashing your head into a wall over and over until you finally break through it.

I can't even say for sure that I'm actually having fun. Running through the same area 10+ times to fight a boss makes me feel like an aspie, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've only found 1 new equipment piece that was an upgrade.

I dunno, maybe I just hate games.

^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    ^ Top  
  25. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    You eventually break through, not just for one section but into the land of going through a new game with <20 or so deaths without ever losing your bloodstain. I was a complete cripple going through DS1 the first time.

Here's a woman in her 30s that has low action game skills going through DS1 blind with an annoyingly low number of deaths if you want to feel kinda stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)