Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Keep rollin'

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Rolk's Drifter Scholar

Rolk's Drifter
    If The Elder Scrolls is a hiking simulator, Dark Souls is a rectal combat simulator.

Like many bosses, this boss is trivial when you stay behind him. Don't get greedy with your swings. Make sure you're ready for his teleport with good stamina and aren't locked into an animation. He has a pretty consistent rhythm so it shouldn't be too hard. Be calm, don't get pressured.

These games are much harder blind. Much of the challenge is coming up with a strategy by learning movesets for both enemies and yourself.

It might be a good idea to watch a Let's Play up to the boss you just killed. This way you can compare and contrast. Get an idea of how they are generally played etc.

It's hard to give advice without seeing you play but do you backstab? parry? guard break? These things help a lot in general play. Often enemies will be weak to certain moves. It's kinda like how enemies might have elemental weaknesses in traditional RPGs. It's also why you shouldn't give up if these moves don't work on a single enemy type. Could be they are just strong against it.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mystary! Arcane

Mystary!
    Roll attacks into or behind. When you knock them down make sure you're hitting the smaller dude to end it quicker, the big brother regenerates.

^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I beat dragon slayer armor first try. He was quite. I notice that both him and pontiff easily miss hitting my character because their attacks are too high.
    He was a cool boss, much more difficulty when I played as a summon for someone.

^ Top  
  5. typical user Learned

typical user
    Twin Princes require rhytm. You want to strike once between their combos or you will trade damage. Avoid horizontal charged attack as it can kill you from full hp unless embered. It helps strafing right as some of his attacks will miss you and staying as close as possible since his lunging attacks are easier to dodge. When Lothric summons homing missles and starts teleporting you want to focus on dodging his attacks and always be on the move or have your shield up. It is hard to describe but you can avoid those projectiles by strafing them which requires careful positioning since Lorian is going to do his 2-3 swing combo. After he teleports prepare to dodge unless he created distance which is a good moment for Estus chug while walking backwards and preparing for his charged horizontal slash. When you beat Lorian and Lothrc is ressurecting him you should strike him as many times as you can but saving just enough stamina for two rolls since he will cast AoE explosion during revive. If you kill Lothric first Lorian is going to die too which is much easier to do when he is reviving his brother. It was a cakewalk with bleed build using oni and ubadachi.

^ Top  
  6. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Clicked through a few vids and instantly disappoint when she started using magix.

These games so fucking clearly based around melee combat with a plethora of attacks, why would anyone want go boring as fuck -pew pew -pew pew mode ?
    Cant people be conan for once, be manly, no waifus, no katanas, no magic.

And yes this is a mild case of butthurt...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Beat oceirus first try, with 1 estus left. I swear, this game really picked up after the early game. The early game is weak but everything afterwards has been strong. Surprised to see untended greaves.

^ Top  
  8. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    I've gotten a couple of friends to play with me this time - their first souls game - and I'm noticing the only thing that is really frustrating them is the flux in boss difficulty between one play and the next. They take most deaths to mobs as their own fault for one reason or another and learn to adjust accordingly but with a boss like Aldrich they get buttblasted that one run he won't use the arrow spam at all and another he'll toss it three times in a row. So basically one of them has developed the notion that beating a given boss solo is entirely luck dependent and with Aldrich he tries to homeward bone out as soon as he pulls back for the arrows. Which seems to really beat the point of the game - dying enough that you git gud - but aside from mocking him I don't know how to sell him on the 'get better by getting fucked' angle.

^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    He needs to learn how Aldritch attacks

^ Top  
  10. Mystary! Arcane

Mystary!
    K. Thanks for keeping us updated with quality posts.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    At least I've learned you can play with a midget and nothing will hit you. New meta.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. toro Arcane

toro
    Don't panic and try to keep the camera on them at all times.

When he teleports wait for 1-2 seconds before you roll otherwise you will get hit. Basically roll but only when you absolutely need to roll.

Also you can punish him for almost all hits.

I will not lie when I say that they took me 2 hours to beat. It's a good fight.

^ Top  
  13. toro Arcane

toro

So, that's the purpose of that barrier :)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah you can run and hide behind it but then the croc-dog will jump on you while you're exploring the marshes under the bridge :D

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Man champion gundyr is crazy. Took me 3tries to beat him. Archdragon peak is bed of chaos 2.0

^ Top  
  16. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Well it certainly may seem that way because a lot of bosses have a complex moveset that trigger when specific conditions are met. Although there probably is some randomness with certain moves.
    IIRC Aldrich
    Show Spoiler
    refrains from using his arrow spam if you stay close to him.

^ Top  
  17. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    fuuuuck is that true ? awesome

^ Top  
  18. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Yes, down in the marshes hes more of an actual mini-boss and imho more dangerous.

^ Top  
  19. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Exactly, they're actually easier in confined spaces since it's easier to close the distance with all their jumping and running.

^ Top  
  20. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    But you can cheese him easy in the marsh if you have no self-respect. Just sprint for the sewer opening that leads to Siegward in the kitchen and snipe him from the tunnel since he can't fit through the entrance. He'll disappear after a few hits but you can bait him back by running into the marsh again and he keeps the same health bar so a few rounds kills him.

^ Top  
  21. toro Arcane

toro

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    that was great

^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    I tried some red orb pvp in undead settlement and from 20+ invasions all were with ganks.

The only time I won was when the host jumped in some pit by mistake. On the other hand I won everytime I was invaded :)

^ Top  
  24. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    I've been having the same about everywhere I tried. Behind Pontiff Suhlyvahn and at Anor Londo are the only half decent places I'm finding and even those are a crapshoot. Even with forced invasion from the red eye orb it seems mostly to be people standing outside the boss doors trying to summon and gone by the time you get there.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)