Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I've gotten a couple of friends to play with me this time - their first souls game - and I'm noticing the only thing that is really frustrating them is the flux in boss difficulty between one play and the next. They take most deaths to mobs as their own fault for one reason or another and learn to adjust accordingly but with a boss like Aldrich they get buttblasted that one run he won't use the arrow spam at all and another he'll toss it three times in a row. So basically one of them has developed the notion that beating a given boss solo is entirely luck dependent and with Aldrich he tries to homeward bone out as soon as he pulls back for the arrows. Which seems to really beat the point of the game - dying enough that you git gud - but aside from mocking him I don't know how to sell him on the 'get better by getting fucked' angle.
He used it 5 times against me, and he also used soul spears during that. Thought he didn't when I defeated him, at least he didn't used soul spear more than once during arrow spam. He used it 3-5x when I defeated him. And I mean 3x that large arrow spam, not that small.

Of course I was beeing killed by that scythe during last few fights so it didn't matter to me.

Dyskolos

Cipher
he usually uses his bow when you're either too far away or hugging him, if you keep a small distance and you're within his scythe range, he'll go for his routine swing attacks which you can avoid, get behind him, land a couple of hits and then back up a bit again so he'll either do another swing, or teleport.

This seems to be about the most reliable strategy, or at least the one that leaves you best positioned for responding to whatever he does. I just got through him on ng+ and a lot of it ended up patient stamina management - being able to run across the room when he teleports and have enough left to either outrun the 4+ second arrow storm or block a scythe swoop and still get a few attacks in before repeating.

He used it 5 times against me, and he also used soul spears during that. Thought he didn't when I defeated him, at least he didn't used soul spear more than once during arrow spam. He used it 3-5x when I defeated him. And I mean 3x that large arrow spam, not that small.

That's the bullshit combo I kept getting hit with too. And for some reason I can't dodge those spears to save my life.

sullynathan

Arcane
man, I swear to fucking god I hate this king of the storm. I fought the nameless king and died 6 times until I finally beat it. 5 times against king of the storm and once against the nameless king itself. I swear, the fight against the KOS is the epitome of bad camera angle in the entire series. FROM could have done a far better dragon boss fight here like they did with Kalameet or Slumbering Sinh, instead we have boss where you are expected to only attack the head and the boss's head just flings around everywhere and fucks up the lock on and takes forever to track where the boss is. I also don't know how staggering works against this boss. I staggered it the first fight and I was able visceral attack it, but every fight afterwards, the dragon just wouldn't stagger.

The Nameless king boss itself is a fine fight, very aggressive and hits hard but at least his attacks are not too fast to be dodged, he's no champion gundyr. So far the toughest fight in the entire game and the most rage inducing boss since Fume Knight.

Perkel

Arcane
Found on my own Smoldering Lake and what is later.
Great areas

It wasn't that hard to find though.

edit:

liked that there was quelana body near her sister, also capras and taurus deamons bodies layingaround everywhere. Kind of drives home DS3 theme of rotten/broken world. Where DS1 was just after age of fire DS3 shows that even with linking of fire world is changing toward worse.

also i think in DLC we will see Cartus desert city. It was shown in one of the screen before game was released.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Found on my own Smoldering Lake and what is later.
Great areas

It wasn't that hard to find though.

You've been playing for, what, a month? and only just now found Smouldering Lake?
"It wasn't that hard to find"
:excellent:

Do you think i play non stop ds3 since release ? Also i don't use wiki for anything.

edit:

also noticed that smoldering is actually ash lake

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So, Vitality is useless in this game. Also I don't remember using any repair powder.

I'm watching some utube videos about the NPCs questlines and I'm having a moment of rage realizing that most questlines are shit. Almost all of them feel unfinished.

They could have done a much better job with them and the funny thing is: It's the part which require much less effort than anything else.

I wish for something like this: to be able to support a NPC in his fight against other NPC therefore making the latter an enemy or simply have more NPCs scatter through-out the world instead of the fireshrine bullshit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, Vitality is useless in this game. Also I don't remember using any repair powder.

Vitality is useful if you do a STR build. Them big weapons weigh a metric ton.

And weapon deterioration is just another stump of a feature. Your gear repairs to full automatically everytime you sit at a bonfire. Shit can apparently break but only if you use weapon arts that consume durability, apart from that I don't see any realistic way for that to happen. I thought the Jailers' mist they're spreading around is corrosive but it doesn't seem so (no idea what it does actually).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Vitality is useful if you do a STR build. Them big weapons weigh a metric ton.

True but you can wear medium armor with 2 non big-weapons and not increase Vitality. A lot of pvp build are with Vitality 10.

As for the repair powder I guess it's obvious: it's "working" as intended :P

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I finally decided to finish this shit. Since people in this thread suggested sorcery was viable, I respecced back to sorcery with 55 int to try and kill lorian with it. Spoiler alert: it was still shit. So I just summoned someone to help and beat the boss.

The final area felt out of nowhere. You get teleported after a strange cutscene, walk 10m to get teleported again, then walk another 50m and there's the boss in a field of flowers and swords because of.... bloodborne final boss area I guess?

Final boss was pretty cool though. I like how he uses greatsword(s?), pyro, miracles and sorceries in the fight. It's funny that even the final boss has shitty sorcery though, even with the magic clutch ring and dusk hat, his stuff did barely any damage.

I was considering replaying this. I've always had lots of fun replaying both DS1 and DS2 with meta knowledge of where to go to get stuff early on and so. Don't really feel like it with this though, as it seems the straight swords are just the best weapons EVAR and its not like there's any other meta knowledge to use. I am considering doing some sort of early dancer kill (supposedly she is very vulnerable to bleed?) but I don't know, I had enough issues killing her on high level.

Perkel

Arcane

Disagree. Currently playing high Vit character. I can tank ton of hits. Currently @ 145 defense and ~30% absorption without rings.

Compared to my first playtrough in which i used light armor i can easily go for hit for hit.

Silva

Arcane
What is an "Unkindled" ? I thought its just a new name for "accursed Undead" but the way people treat you with respect makes me thing that it's a more important thing. It supposes someone who was "kindled", but what does it mean ? Perhaps someone who linked the fire in ages past ? Or maybe someone marked/chosen somehow to link the fire ? (and if so, who "choses" him/her ?). Hawkmoon says he is an unkindled too, as does Siegweart of Catarina. I assume all them woke up when the bell rang just like us, and with the same "duty" to seek greater souls so they can kindle the first flame. But what does it really means ? Also, it seems Unkindled, different from Undead, do not go hollow on their own. Execpt if they choose so through Yolo/Yuria dark powers, right ?

Also, I didn't like most of the maps we visit this time. They are well made from a technical standpoint but they lack the evocativeness and exoticness of Ash Lake, Anor Londo, New Londo, Majula, etc.

I hope the DLCs let we visit Londor and expand on the Prophaned Capital. And I hope they don't expand on Yrithill of boreal shit as Ive found it boring.

sullynathan

Arcane
my shield can't parry.
If you beat the final boss, does NG+ automatically start or do you have to initiate at a bonfire like DS2?

polo

Magister
Can't find much PVP at SL 110. I was expecting it to be some kind of sweet spot for PVP builds, but invading takes a while... And can't seem to find many signs even in the 'arena' after pontiff S.

Murk

Arcane
At level 60-70 there's a fuckton, as well as invaders (annoying ones that run and hide behind enemies, but invaders.)

sullynathan

Arcane
Initiate at the firelink bonfire.
Thanks

Can't find much PVP at SL 110. I was expecting it to be some kind of sweet spot for PVP builds, but invading takes a while... And can't seem to find many signs even in the 'arena' after pontiff S.
Yeah, pontiff's area is a low level pvp. At level 80, I don't find too much. Anor Londo is where it's at but too many people I've invaded have summons or a blue Phantom helping.

typical user

Arbiter

Try Highwall of Lothric. 110 is a NG+ level.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Folks why did you have problems with dancer? I finished it without needing 120 attempts. Actually I didn't use that twitchi I have <30 load and it's still not enough with all these rings build. Estus? It would be likely one hit kill anyway. When you tank that whirlwind dance, she is doable without scary running and hiding behind pillars that would break your lock.

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat soul of cinder first try. Definitely one of the better bosses in the game and easily the best final souls boss. Isn't as early exploitable like Gwyn nor is it lazy like Nashandra and the scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom