Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun vs Baldurs Gate

Which is better?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Dark Sun

- Turn-based combat
- Full party creation
- An interesting setting
- Unique races and classes
- Branching paths and C&C
- Non-linear main questline
- Quests with multiple creative solutions

Baldurs Gate

- RTwP combat
- No party creation
- Generic fantasy setting
- Standard D&D races and classes
- No branching paths or C&C
- Linear main quest
- Mostly fetch & kill quests

Zer0wing

Cipher
Dark Sun, but... I don't see how these game are comparable besides D&D label. Dark Sun is closer to Fallout in it's setting and gameplay. Now Dark Sun vs Fallout is more interesting topic. But you chose the path of shitposting rated accordingly.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which one is better? Snoopy vs the Red Baron or Battlefield 1? There's no reason why two WW1 games can't be compared. Battlefield fanboys just don't want to admit a Snoopy games is better.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you keep making these lists and comparisons to confirm your personal views? Do you want to feel accepted and not alone in this world?
Does it make a difference if more people like a game more than some other game?

TL;DR you are busting our balls with the continuous polls about your favorite games vs games you dont like

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
They're very different games, but the things that make BG different are also what make it inferior.

They're both 2nd edition AD&D crpgs from the 90s. Dark Sun is just an objectively better RPG in comparison.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Which one is better? Snoopy vs the Red Baron or Battlefield 1? There's no reason why two WW1 games can't be compared. Battlefield fanboys just don't want to admit a Snoopy games is better.
Because comparing two games belonging to the same genre and sub-genre and based on the same pnp ruleset and made just a few years apart is exactly like comparing this:

2216447-box_svtrb.png

with this:
220px-Red_Baron_Coverart.png

and with this:
battlefield-1-10_20_2016-12_45_09-am-100688841-orig.jpg

I'll just leave this as a comment:
:bravo:

The OP and his constant nonsensical trolling threads are annoying though, I'll give you that.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Serus there was supposed to be a post I'm parodying but he deleted it.

Snoopy is uncomparable to BF1 obviously, but that was the point, because the deleted post had similarly absurd premise

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dark Sun:
Turn Based Combat, yes, but except for the final battle far too easy.
Psi is boring.
Maps are already "explored", which I thought was a minus at first when I played it.

Baldur's Gate:
Much better encounter design, and more challenging combat.
Moddable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, when I first played Dark Sun, it did feel a bit like an earlier and better Baldur's Gate. D&D 2E ruleset, dialog trees, the exploration where you go from one map to the next, etc. Very similar in many aspects, but overall the more interesting game.

So comparing the two is valid, yes.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
When you consider the standard Dark Sun set at the time, Baldurs Gate can only be viewed as huge decline. It was in the same vein of Dark Sun, but stripped it of everything that made it great. Fallout was the real MVP, because it took new concepts such as dialogue trees, C&C, branching quests, and non-linear storylines and took them to the next level, without sacrificing turn-based combat.

I often dream of an alternative timeline where Baldurs Gate was a massive failure, and Fallout sold millions of copies instead. Think of how much better RPGs would be today if that were the case.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I'm normally not a fan of full party creation so in that respect I prefer BG.
That being said if we consider the time these games were released I find Dark Sun more impressive. If I had to pick one and play today it would be BG.

Dark Sun was one of my favorite rpg's pre fallout. Only competition was Betrayal at Krondor and maybe ultima 6 and 7 although the ultima games were really hit and miss with their content and interface.

BG wasn't bad. I had fun playing it and it's sequel but they didn't have the same impact for me that Dark sun and especially Fallout(which came out a year before bg) had.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm normally not a fan of full party creation so in that respect I prefer BG.

This, i like full party creation when character creation is well designed (Wizardry 8, Low Magic Age, ... ) still, i like recruiting NPC too when they're amazing (Planescape : Torment ) so i just wish i could have both, be allowed to create a full party with the option to fire them, create new ones later on and recruit non-trash NPC with an interesting design and background.

But that's just me wanting to have a cake and eat it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Much as I want to praise Dark Sun, there really isn't much C&C to speak of. Most of the time it's just a question of wether you want to do a quest, or not. Sometimes multiple approaches are given but all result in combat (note I once read you could drop a Smoke Cloud in the pens and escape without combat - never could verify it).

Really the only optional thing I can think of in Dark Sun is getting the dude staked out in the arena to help you, and recruit him for the Veiled Alliance (which you aren't a member of - so off he goes without consequence).

I don't remember that much about Wake of the Ravager, but it was way more linear and probably involved just as little C&C.

but really Dark Sun > Bawdur's Gayt 1 erry day

Lord Andre

Arcane
OP is faggot. Exaggerating the qualities of Dark Sun and the failures of BG1 to rationalize his vagina induced conclusion. I mean sure Dark Sun is more interesting and it gets points for doing some cool stuff first but so what. I don't remember anyone claiming BG1 is more than a mediocre game.

And speaking of muh precious full party creation are we forgetting the best way to play is with everyone being a variant of fighter/caster/something 'cause of how soon you hit the level cap otherwise... that always seemed shit to me.

Anyway OP is edgelord bleeding vagina faggot is what I'm saying.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Much as I want to praise Dark Sun, there really isn't much C&C to speak of. Most of the time it's just a question of wether you want to do a quest, or not. Sometimes multiple approaches are given but all result in combat (note I once read you could drop a Smoke Cloud in the pens and escape without combat - never could verify it).

Really the only optional thing I can think of in Dark Sun is getting the dude staked out in the arena to help you, and recruit him for the Veiled Alliance (which you aren't a member of - so off he goes without consequence).

I don't remember that much about Wake of the Ravager, but it was way more linear and probably involved just as little C&C.

but really Dark Sun > Bawdur's Gayt 1 erry day

C&C was invented by Fallout in 1997. Dark sun came out in 93 or 94.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Much as I want to praise Dark Sun, there really isn't much C&C to speak of.

Game-play choice and consequence is better than narrative choice & consequence, anyway.
Especially when too often those "narrative consequences" turn out to be nothing more than a different picture or text in the endgame slideshow. Which means - after the game has already ended.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected

You're flat out wrong and should replay the game again.

There are mutually exclusive quests, mutually exclusive allies for the final battle, and your dialogue choices will often create various scripted outcomes.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

You're flat out wrong and should replay the game again.

There are mutually exclusive quests, mutually exclusive allies for the final battle, and your dialogue choices will often create various scripted outcomes.

mutually exclusive quests (off the top of my head): three ways to escape the slave pens, and the choice between crazed templar vs. ratmen. That's it really. Any others?

I never played to the end battle again after being hit by The Bug once; but a lot of people have said the allies you recruit don't show up in the last battle. Which is it?

"various scripted outcomes" for dialogue, welp, I think the most impressive example remains how the arena master summons crazy strong monsters to roflstomp your face if you're cheeky. Not much else after that.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
mutually exclusive quests (off the top of my head): three ways to escape the slave pens

I'll stop you right there. There are at least 5 ways to escape the slave pens

You don't know the game half as well as you think you do. Go replay it.

Both are good games.

Perhaps, but Dark Sun is a much better RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom