Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun vs Baldurs Gate

Which is better?

• Total voters

Cael

Arcane
Just like to point out that Dark Sun, even the second one, was a much smaller game than BG. Playing less hours of it was pretty much "well, duh!".

DS had a lot of things that later games lacked, including:
- better pathfinding.
- turn based.
- area of effect targeting.
- meaningful race selection (to be fair, this was a weakness of 3.x and the FR setting rather than the games) due to very strict multi-class restrictions.
- crafted encounters.
- timed quests.
- the Big T.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Weird how someone can praise Deadfire for its graphics and quality of life improvements and then go on to preach the virtues of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, an incredibly clunky game that looks like it was made for the Super Nintendo, over the beautiful Baldur's Gate.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot of great stuff in DS:SL. In many ways, it’s the missing link between the gold box games and Fallout/Baldur’s Gate (like the missing link between homo erectus and Homo sapiens). When I recommended Fallout to my middle school dungeon master, he told me to play Dark Sun. In the early ‘90s, it was revolutionary: introducing adventure game style environmental interaction, adventure game style dialogue trees, choices that matter(tm), the ability to incite violence or talk your potential enemies down. Best of all, it laid the groundwork for Fallout style quests with a boatload of different solutions (although IIRC the best example of this is the arena and there’s less as the game goes on).

But, for the love of Ahura Mazda, DS:SL is a pain in the ass to actually play (it was a pain in the ass even when I first played it in the late ‘90s). And some of the positives sound better in theory than they actually are in practice. Turn based 2nd edition combat sounds awesome, but the combat is not at all challenging with your super-powered party of munchkins (I know this is part of the setting and I love the setting, but still it’s way too easy). Environmental interactions are great, but clicking to inspect the same haystack a dozen times to milk out all the loot is terrible.

I really appreciate how DS:SL lets you role play in conversation and even has a few race, class, charisma, and even item checks. It was very ahead of its time. But, like Lilura says:

It's an historical curiousity, nothing more. Barely anyone plays it because it hasn't aged well and wasn't all that good to begin with. Like most of the so-called "Golden Age" RPGs.

As for reactivity, I remember one guy saying you can bribe the guards, sneak out or pile in with the brutes and smash your way out. How primitive is that? Again, its concepts are nothing but an historical curiousity for people who prefer to read about and watch other people play games:

"Oh, this looks cool! (But I'll never play it. Look at those godawful graphics, that shitty dialogue, and that clunky af UI and how primitive everything is. I think I'll go and play any number of Renaissance RPGs instead. They do everything better.")

I generally agree with this sentiment. It strains credulity when so many people under the age of, say, 32 claim to love, love, love DS:SL. It’s like an influential proto-punk band that every punk claims to adore, even as they never listen to it.

However, it was pretty damn good to begin with. Dark Sun captured a whole new dimension of the pen and paper experience. It’s just that within a few years, Fallout and the Infinity Engine games started doing all of this stuff (and more!) a whole lot better.

I’m not the world’s biggest Baldur’s Gate fan, but even using RTwP it has better combat, a better story, and more interesting characters. Anyway, others are more suited to defending BG’s honor. Long story short, it’s the superior CRPG.

Now, a remake of Shattered Lands in a more modern engine—maybe Realms Beyond’s urwelt engine—with more spells (and actual Vancian casting... ahem), more challenging encounters and/or some rebalancing, and a writer who’s willing to improve the dialogue... that could potentially be one of the greats. It’s a pity MRY has such a lucrative day job because I’d love to see him take a crack at this.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I generally agree with this sentiment. It strains credulity when so many people under the age of, say, 32 claim to love, love, love DS:SL. It’s like an influential proto-punk band that every punk claims to adore, even as they never listen to it.

makes me wonder about the age distribution on the codex

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Someone mentions Dark Sun and *20 'tards brofist this* is just pathetic. Most of you are just posers who haven't even played the game. You just watched a vid on youtube or read someone's opinion of it, which you then parrot about in an attempt to come off as oldschool, hardcore and grognard.

Laughable, and typical of Joined 2017 newfags.

I entirely agree with you but with the exception of one point : it's not really a new fad to shit on BG. Although with more arguments than just "lol is shit".
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-was-bg2-subpar.1935/
The codex in fact has more people recognizing what BG did right these days than it used to.

Au contraire. Smaller parties and soloing increases power progression due to faster leveling. This is true of every IE game, from BG to PS:T. This is true of ToEE and PoR: RoMD as well. In the vast majority of cases, over-leveled solo/smaller parties are more powerful than six under-leveled ones. This is mostly due to spellcasting range/slot progression and ApR/BAB progression. Most people who have rolled with smaller parties/solos admit that it's less EZ when they go back to six-person parties. The others are liars.

Yeah, I've done multiple runs of BG2 with only two characters, the second controlled by a friend while playing in... multiplayer coop. The early game may be slightly, very slightly harder but once you've done a few quests to level up and finish the dual classing of your character (we went m4xxx1mum power gamer with kensai/mage + berserker/cleric dual classing) you earn levels so quickly that by the midpoint of the game, with ToB installed you earn ToB powers and spells which really weren't meant to be played in the main campaign but here we are.
We've also done one bg1 run like that, and the early game was much iffier but that may be because we didn't really know it by heart as much as we did bg2. Once I got some crowd control spells on my caster though the game went back to easy mode.
The only way someone could think playing with a smaller party is harder is if they did not even try to push through the initial hurdle of getting the run going and just outright stop at the very first annoyances.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dark Sun reminds me of Dragon Wars for the multiple solutions design, and World of Xeen by being a potentially great game ruined by too easy combat. I mean what's the use of Turn Based when it's too easy and simplistic?

I only played Dark Sun in recent years, so I don't have any nostalgic feelings towards it, except I recall I didn't care much for it back in the days, it being too different from the beloved Gold Box games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Lilura + octavius = Eternal Love:love:

You're cute together but finding your true love around a plate of catfood BG is just sad.

About Shattered Lands, i'm not sure all of you played the game because the UI is really good compared to everything but M&M that was released in the early 90's.

The only problems i see :
- it's not bug-free
- gathering items is a pain (no more than in most games from the late 90 to 2018)

On the bright side :
- Graphics are good, not amazing but good enough and it aged well.
- Combat is challenging and it's an open world so if you're not stupidly following a walkthrough, you're going to meet your match if not your maker more than once. (my party was killed twice by Dagolar's slimes, once by Vrooks, once by Shadows, once by archers around the oasis, two last ones because i was careless, still )
- Most encounters can turn to your disadvantage if you're not careful
- Loot : the game isn't throwing +1 swords and armors at you every second step, that's refreshing
- AoE damage spells are not almighty so the combat is tactical

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know about Dark Sun but Baldur's Gate definitely wasn't that great. Bioware were always the Bethesda of their day, real time with pause combat was dumping down and the writing wasn't particularly great from day one. Not to say the game didn't have a lot of going for it and nostalgia helps for those of us who were kids when it came out but let's not pretend Bioware's decline came out of nowhere. They were already suspect as a company from day one. The best thing they had going for them was ambition and the technical know how to pull off whatever they set out to do, which is how we got Baldur's Gate 2 (i would say Bioware had better software engineers than Black Isle/Obsidian), but then they dropped that when they figured out they could make just as much money by putting out no effort whatsoever.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
I find it utterly delightful how all many of the BG superfans are too embarrassed to vote in this poll despite the fact that BG2 and BG creamed Shattered Lands in the Codex poll.

If BG2 was in the poll I would have voted BG2.

BG2 has good encounter design and good item spread. The story is ok besides some cringe worthy moments with the companions and Irenicus voice actor really makes for a memorable villain.

What good is TOEE's awesome turn-based implementation of the system when the encounter design is shit, itemization is shit, story is shit and villain is shit. And here is the truth no one wants to admit, turn-based is shit when you fight a lot of enemies and the turn queue looks like the line at a russian liquor store.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Baldur's Gate wins by default because unlike Dark Sun it never glitched out and randomly deleted a plot-central item from a character's inventory, permanently halting all progress.

That was Dark Sun 2.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
It strains credulity when so many people under the age of, say, 32 claim to love, love, love DS:SL.

I'm just shy of 32, doesn't mean I didn't play Dark Sun as a kid. I had older siblings so I played a bunch of those games from that era. I was 2 years old when Ultima 6(4 for ultima 7) came out, I still played it, beat itthem and for the most part enjoyed them a few years later when I was old enough to understand the game.

The Gold box games on the other hand are games people 32 or just on the cusp( I'm 31) should probably be too young to of enjoyed. I had a few of the Goldbox games when I was a kid but to my mind at least they were clearly inferior in every way to other games I owned(Ie the ultimas, BAK and Dark sun made by the same company) because by the time I was old enough to play them better games had come out.

In between Dark sun/Bak in 93 and when I got fallout in 98(we got fallout 1 and 2 at the same time for christmas so it had to of been 98) and soon after when we got BG1. In that 5ish year period the only RPG that came out that I didn't think was complete shit was like....Diablo 1? Which is a game I really don't have good feelings about lol. I don't remember if I had mm6 before fallout 1/BG1.

Either way the point I'm trying to make is for a period of like 5 years, for myself an I'm sure some other Dark Sun was as good as it got. Nothing else was coming out until Fallout and later BG1 opened the floodgates

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The Gold box games on the other hand are games people 32 or just on the cusp( I'm 31) should probably be too young to of enjoyed. I had a few of the Goldbox games when I was a kid but to my mind at least they were clearly inferior in every way to other games I owned(Ie the ultimas, BAK and Dark sun made by the same company) because by the time I was old enough to play them better games had come out.

Games better than the Gold Box games? What kind of heresy is this?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

Games better than the Gold Box games? What kind of heresy is this?

At least for me it really doesn't take much to be better then the Gold box games. They were ok/good for the time but they're mostly copy pasted linear dungeon crawlers. Maybe if I played POR when it came out or at least if I played it before several others I might have a higher opinion of it, but those games bore me almost as much as the wizardry games.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
At least for me it really doesn't take much to be better then the Gold box games. They were ok/good for the time but they're mostly copy pasted linear dungeon crawlers. Maybe if I played POR when it came out or at least if I played it before several others I might have a higher opinion of it, but those games bore me almost as much as the wizardry games.

I must say, it requires a certain amount of balls to admit to having such shitty taste in games. I salute you, brave sir!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
But, for the love of Ahura Mazda, DS:SL is a pain in the ass to actually play (it was a pain in the ass even when I first played it in the late ‘90s).
It was joy to play then, as it joy to play now. i replayed it just recently, probably 5 years ago and it still good. Never encountered bugs, except using shadow's heart on the altar and leaving the map that makes Underground Temple unfinishable.

And some of the positives sound better in theory than they actually are in practice. Turn based 2nd edition combat sounds awesome, but the combat is not at all challenging with your super-powered party of munchkins (I know this is part of the setting and I love the setting, but still it’s way too easy).
Don't max your stats and don't make four Fighter/Mage/Clerics an you would be surprised.
Environmental interactions are great, but clicking to inspect the same haystack a dozen times to milk out all the loot is terrible.
Yea, I see you really needed these 10 XPs for the needle.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

I must say, it requires a certain amount of balls to admit to having such shitty taste in games. I salute you, brave sir!

Yeah spending dozens of hours killing identical hordes of trash mobs with no strategy or challenge is 'high quality games'.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Gold box games.

That can't be true. The Gold Box games are turn-based CRPG masterpieces that do a wonderful job of simulating AD&D combat. The game you describe doesn't seem like the same games that so many people love. Unless you're just being an asshole. Don't be an asshole, man. That's not cool.

Great quality encounters and level design in this one

There you go. I knew you'd come around.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Gold box games.

That can't be true. The Gold Box games are turn-based CRPG masterpieces that do a wonderful job of simulating AD&D combat. The game you describe doesn't seem like the same games that so many people love. Unless you're just being an asshole. Don't be an asshole, man. That's not cool.

Like I said, if I had played POR in 1988 I probably would of liked it but all they did was re release the same game 10+ times and make it more linear and shitty every time. These aren't hard games, they're repetitive, and DND combat fucking blows so why do I care about simulating it?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Like I said, if I had played POR in 1988 I probably would of liked it but all they did was re release the same game 10+ times and make it more linear and shitty every time. These aren't hard games, they're repetitive, and DND combat fucking blows so why do I care about simulating it?

Sorry, man. I didn't know you were this bad off. I guess I won't kick you when you're down. I'll just leave you alone to wallow in your misery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom