Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darklands designer Arnold Hendrick Q&A on Steam forum

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Someone should ask Josh on his tumblr if his aware of Hendrick's wish to make a spiritual successor to Darklands. If Josh pitches to Feargus, some form of cooperation might spring there. Obsidian even have their own crowd-funding platform... :D

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Please make RPG's great again :negative:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • No No x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Hope for turn-based combat:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Will someone show him the Expeditions series already?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I've checked his Steam profile before Valve changed privacy setting. IIRC he has played Expeditions: Vikings (or Conquistador?) a few hours as well as Legend of Eisenwald and PoE.

^ Top  
  6. Darth Canoli Cipher

Darth Canoli
    This guy is a fucking moron, i checked his reviews and turns out he's shitting on indies games with 0€ as a starting budget while he's asking for not just 10 but 10, 20 or 30M € (or $ i'm not sure) to make a new game.
    As a professional, he should have some empathy.
    Also, is saw him shitting on a game he found good but didn't have a useful manual, a shame he didn't write on grimoire. :bounce:

Well, it's a good news bad news situation, turns out he's going to have plenty of time to write shit reviews because his game is never going to be funded.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a codexian with 1k-1M messages already, he'd fit perfectly.

• Funny x 2
    • STOP! posting x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    If you make a game and Arnold Hendrick takes his time to explain to you why it sucks, you should be grateful.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Canoli Cipher

Darth Canoli
    Oh yeah, warbanners creators don't know their graphic limitations nor their game difficulty, they needed Arnold Schwarthendricker to tell them the errors of their ways.

I realize i should have writen this on "trigger the codex ..." but it works better outside, right ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :)

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    :necro:

He's still looking for people: https://steamcommunity.com/app/3279...0787364/?tscn=1565890645#c1642045637385255030

---

Yeah he has a thing for manuals, a review on Spellforce 3 from last year: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198022734065/recommended/311290/

You can see him talking about manual in other reviews and forum posts too.

From Darkest Dungeon forum: https://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/1644292549030889239/

He's not all talk though. Even if you don't count the manual of Darklands, he writes cool guides these days too: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726585668

• Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez Arcane

Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez
    Manuals are incline, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    ftfy

RPGing~

^ Top  
  13. Barbalos Learned

Barbalos
    Not really surprising that he loves manuals considering the Darklands manual was beyond epic tier. I really hope he does get something going and done in time, personally. I love historical fiction and really enjoyed Darklands. I'm planning a new playthrough when I have time to set it up properly (the sound specifically). A modern game of that style as he describes would be awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    You don't live long enough to be a silverback chad like him just to try to play some goddamn game and the instructions are like "whatever dude, get some kids from ur family to teach what keys they push in Fortnite".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    I have a lot of respect for this guy for his work at MicroProse, but it's no wonder why he can't get this project off the ground. The commercial failure of Darklands apparently nearly killed MicroProse, and now he's talking about needing millions of dollars and industry veterans to make a spiritual successor, but the industry veterans would have to accept a share of profits in lieu of a salary... so... yeah... this game will never happen.

I mean, what's the harm in putting together a kickstarter with a moderate goal? If it can't even make that goal, then a multimillion dollar budget game is obviously out of the picture.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Wulfric Pinewood Savant Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Everythin that Arnold does he does right. Predator, Commando, Terminator I and II Conan, not to mention body building and governing California.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Two and a half years have passed and still no sign that he even started pre-production. This shit is never going to happen, and if it does it's going to be made by JESwayer and without this primadonna.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Barbalos Learned

Barbalos
    From what I've read from here and his posts on Steam, to him it's not so desperate or urgent that he is willing t to compromise to get it made. He either wants to do it correctly as he sees it, with a large budget and very organized (he references his experience as a team lead as well as a designer a lot), or does not want to do it at all. He sounds sincere to the historical part of his historical fiction idea for a game (and Darklands' setting backs that up) and seems to want to do the whole project justice. I can respect that. It kind of sucks for fans since he won't make any smaller-scale or more realistically possible game, but I can respect his position for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)