Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo: The Hell 2

Gorn

Novice
So I've been on a hack 'n slash binge for the past week. Found this mod, and it's good. Go check it out.

Reasons:

1) Good and challenging from the DLevel 1. There's no usual fluff of going though the normal difficulty to get to the good stuff.

2) Good gameplay variety (I picked mage elementalist). You're forced to use a ton of spells that appear imbalanced on paper (e.g. teleport) but the opposition is simply so strong esp. on higher difficulties that you have to use every tool in the box to survive. In D1TH2 many quests pose a challenge.

3) Atmosphere is still top notch.

This may lack longevity of bigger games like PoE but is definitely worth checking out for anyone who liked Diablo 1.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Diablo - The Hell 1 HD still better. Removed by original creator due possible bugs but I found none so far. Must be jellyness and fear that people lost interest in TH2 garbage.

TH2 is only good for technical improvement - working windowed mode, 60FPS etc. (which DTH1HD have) but gameplay changes are...debatable.

Loot restriction where you won't get items for other classes means you won't make money by selling books anymore.
You won't find useful item for other classes that way, loosing motivation to start a new one.
Also - shared stash money making method is gone because muh multiplayer and soft down micropenises dev thinking that game about (vanquishing) evil put players to temptation, or whatever other reason.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it a bit, the difficulty and hardcore mode are nice, but I hate the class design and smart loot. Splitting every class into a bunch of archetypes with predetermined gear choice was a terrible idea, e.g. with a warrior you have to pick a sub-class that determines if you're going to use exclusively 1h or 2h melee weapons for the entire game, can't use both:retarded:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was reading some comments on youtube that there is no shared stash. ??? Pre-determined loot based on played class? Oh man! I loved getting odd shit to sell or maybe I'd play a class purposely opposite. Example in beelzebub: I had a barbarian who had 0 int I believe and it was stat-locked. You could use +int gear to get more. So i eventually found int gear to make a shitty caster. He was a pos but finding spellbooks and shit was kind of cool.

Eh.. 29 classes and other stuff. I'll doenload eventually.

speaking of gog diablo and OLD OLD OLD mods; has anyone tried installing them? I must have skme mods on a cd somewhere.

Is there a D1 and D2 mod manager that's slick to use?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How it compares to the original The Hell?

Damn, now I want to play it again. Monk-Mage build is fucking sick, slinging spells from afar and then dealing AoE kung fu staff bashing at close range.

Is there some HD modmod for the first The Hell, btw?
I swore someone in a video mentioned that. Not sure tbh.

I only see THIS!

hmmm Tchernobog v0.2.0b - SpellBlade released just this year. I had no clue again.

infernity +

I forgot about Abysmal

I wonder if these sites still have content
alternate sites for downloads: Guardiansofjustice.com , Diablo1.ru and Diablo.phx.pl

TheHell wiki - funny the old site isn't available.

old forums

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How it compares to the original The Hell?

Damn, now I want to play it again. Monk-Mage build is fucking sick, slinging spells from afar and then dealing AoE kung fu staff bashing at close range.

Is there some HD modmod for the first The Hell, btw?

TH2 is bloated kitchen sink with various ideas for bored folks who want to stick to simple Diablo1 combat and don't like D2 clones. Some of these ideas like limits for drops and stash shenaningans are one of the worst, never played it again.

I gave you link to TH1 HD long ago, it's here

Is there a D1 and D2 mod manager
No? You just dropped mod files into game folder, set things up and play.

Mods from potatoes are unfinished (Belzebub&Tchernobog) and badly balanced (Awakening which inspired the Belz), same with Gothic mods from them, including "fan translations" that mess with the mod itself.

Gregz

Arcane
TH2 is bloated kitchen sink with various ideas for bored folks who want to stick to simple Diablo1 combat and don't like D2 clones. Some of these ideas like limits for drops and stash shenaningans are one of the worst, never played it again.

Informative.

Thanks, bro!

I remember now, but I probably forgot then.

I'm going to download it straight to my external HD this time.

Does it contains TH1 extra downloads, like the new class sprites for the extra classes? I think The Hell had a music download too?

The install footprint is 6.5 gigs.

Gregz

Arcane

Informative.

Thanks, bro!

I remember now, but I probably forgot then.

I'm going to download it straight to my external HD this time.

Does it contains TH1 extra downloads, like the new class sprites for the extra classes? I think The Hell had a music download too?

The install footprint is 6.5 gigs.

I need to buy another fucking SSD
sweatonmybrow.png

EDIT: uBlock Origin is throwing a fit when I open that link. Something about vgilink. What's up with that?

https://www.patreon.com/thmod

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't tried TH2 but the original was a bit of a meat grinder in the beginning. I can't recall which alts got to nightmare. Lost them all when old computer went kaput. Didn't work on win10. Beelzebub was fun but I got altoholic addiction.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Hey, so update: I just remember this, decided to give it a spin. Downloaded Diablo, then prepared to put these files in and...

Bro, what the fuck?!

Windows Defender promptly blocked it and told me it stopped a Trojan called Occamy.CB1.

I also ran it through the Virustotal site and it also told me it was full of malware.

Dude, you just sent me a file full of malware. What the hell!

This is weird.
Try this one
It would be really bad because this mod is unique and nowhere to be found.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Hey, so update: I just remember this, decided to give it a spin. Downloaded Diablo, then prepared to put these files in and...

Bro, what the fuck?!

Windows Defender promptly blocked it and told me it stopped a Trojan called Occamy.CB1.

I also ran it through the Virustotal site and it also told me it was full of malware.

This is weird.
Try this one

That is because he has a Patreon

You can find the downloads there.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Bro, what the fuck?!

This is weird.
Try this one

That is because he has a Patreon

You can find the downloads there.

TH1 HD was made by Desert Dragon, not MordorXP who deleted this project with extreme prejudice claiming it was "too bugged" which is bullshit. I've spend more hours (100+) with this mod than Diablo2+LoD and various mod.
Guess he wanted to be sure people go with TH2 and not somewhere else.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I think I just had one of my most INTENSE Diablo experiences ever, all courtesy of this MOTHERFUCKER:

tqYjqWP.png

2nfdZ9Y.png

Nothing impressive, right? Its just a unique Wyrm spitting acid.
Well, for STARTERS, it has 880 HP.
It spits acid, that annoying persistent damage acid spit that creates a pool of acid on the ground which does persistent damage as long as you stand on it.
So I can't just stand in front of it and start whaling it in the face, it always spits and if I stand there hitting it, I get damage.
I was pretty much out of health potions when I faced it, and I never found a book of healing, so I had to run from it to regenerate health.
All spells I tried tossing at the damn thing did diddy squat. Pretty sure its immune to fire, and my only lightning spell is Charged Bolt which is lame.

What ensued was a twenty-minute chase between my Monk (Fengzhong) and that damn acid spitting monster from hell. I swear, never have I ever felt this hunted before. I could't even retreat due to the way it works in The Hell. It was pretty much using fury, ambushing it near a wall, landing a few hits and running away from the acid, running around while regenerating, and then hitting it again, until either of us ran out of HP first.

No Potions, no Town Portal, pretty much no spells.

I truly felt like I was being pursued by an invincible monster from hell. A borderline invincible one.

In the end, I got it down to it last HP and finally went in for the kill... and it got me first. DAMN YOU PLAGUEWRATH!

Wew, that was... intense.

d1r

Patron
So, on my playing of The Hell 1...

Is Hell itself to be such a big difficulty spike compared to caves? Level 13 was pure terror with its Lightning Demons, Imp Rogues and Bloodslayers. The Obsidian Golems were kind of a joke tho, unless they corner you. Level 14 from the little I played of it, seems way easier - just melee monsters so far. Weird.

Also, is Abyss supposed to be even harder than Hell? Because I got totally megarekt there by super-tough horned demons, super-fast venomtails and those fireball-spitting snakes - even with Fire Reisistance 85%, they still whittled me down. There's also some acid-spitting spiders that get me good.

Also, I never saw Lester. The Abyss was just open after I finished the Caves. Weird.

Yupp. The difficulty spike is pretty tough. Author himself stated that you are supposed to grind here and there to be able to advance to the next levels, respectively game difficulties.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is that link the last version of TH1? There were some other mods i gad on my xp computer that were also weird. I don't know what the latest build for TH2 is. Does TH1 work on win10. I don't think i could get it to work before on it so I went to Belzebul instead.

Last edited:

d1r

Patron
Hey guys I just found something I've been looking for: The graphics for the Assassin and Gladiator classes, so they won't look just like Rogues and Warriors.
https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Download_(The_Hell)

Not sure if it works with the newest version, but I don't see why not, unless these were taken off for some reason. They were in the old The Hell site, but this wikia archive has them.

So, on my playing of The Hell 1...

Is Hell itself to be such a big difficulty spike compared to caves? Level 13 was pure terror with its Lightning Demons, Imp Rogues and Bloodslayers. The Obsidian Golems were kind of a joke tho, unless they corner you. Level 14 from the little I played of it, seems way easier - just melee monsters so far. Weird.

Also, is Abyss supposed to be even harder than Hell? Because I got totally megarekt there by super-tough horned demons, super-fast venomtails and those fireball-spitting snakes - even with Fire Reisistance 85%, they still whittled me down. There's also some acid-spitting spiders that get me good.

Also, I never saw Lester. The Abyss was just open after I finished the Caves. Weird.

Yupp. The difficulty spike is pretty tough. Author himself stated that you are supposed to grind here and there to be able to advance to the next levels, respectively game difficulties.

Grind how? Start New Game?
I'm leaving that as last resort.

Yes. Since you won't lose your area progress. So you immediately can go to Hell again via shortcut.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Grind how? Start New Game?
I'm leaving that as last resort.

Yes, you need to start New Game when you find major difficulty spike. There are moments in TH when progress is put on a halt if you're not strong enough or don't have right items.
I don't think acid attacks are related to fire, IIRC there was other resistance (magic?) that you can find on items. I used certain set of items just to farm infested cellar.
You're also supposed to collect items (via grind, mostly) to put them in your stash and use them in certain circumstances like encounters with some monsters or bosses. That include stun recovery items, p. handy when you start on 2nd difficulty...

Is that link the last version of TH1? There were some other mods i gad on my xp computer that were also weird. I don't know what the latest build for TH2 is. Does TH1 work on win10. I don'tthink i coukd get it to work before on it so I went to Belzebul instead.

Most Diablo1 mods were made by Potatos and balance is really weird, like The Hell is hard but you can conquer most of the first run before resorting to New Game restart, but those potato mods? They're hard but in stupid way. Played TH a lot but didn't manage to spend much time with others due to balance issues.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Acid I think is magic. Let me find a quote.

Poison Spitters are another variation of the Spitting Terror monster. As their name indicates, their bile is lethal. They can be found on the first levels of the caves. They still spit Magic as Poison doesn't exist in Diablo I.

I recall those machine gun spitter bosses. There is more than 1 boss.

It has been so long since I played the original I forgot what alts I played. I had favorites. You play TH1 or Beelzebub so long and you realize how easy the original is. That's a given since when I first bought diablo and played the rogue (funny how the book art influenced me as a youth)...
Diablo-1-Rogue.jpg

...I finished normal and nightmare in one go.

I still love the cow level joke
D6FEHwD.jpg

DX4VNNj.jpg

7EzEJY9.jpg

kvIeTM8.jpg

I'd be fine with that mod (even if some entries are silly). I wonder what an animated version of that portal would look like?

Edit... after seeing this:
400px-Secret-level-unicorn1.jpg

I think i retract the silly... So glad I never played 3.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was looking at the link and dl for TH1 and its up to v1.234 while the one from the patreon is from mod db v 1.235.

I was checking my version of TH2 and its v1.0543 but it seems there is an update on the patreon site being v1.0610 (guess i need to dl)

My Belzebub is v1.045. This seems identical to https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download site

Diablo 1 HD MOD v1.045

Public Beta

Size: 32 MB

Date: 10.09.2014

I guess this project got an update:

Project Tchernobog v0.2.0f

Early Developer Alpha

Size: 37 MB

Date: 15.08.2021

Tchernobog v0.2.0f
Noktis | Published on Aug 15, 2021

New version of the Tchernobog mod v0.2.0f has been released and added to the download section.

#Tchernobog 0.2.0f

• All summons should display their stats accurately now - armor / level / resists
  • Golem updated stats formulas:
    • resists: 20 + spell level * 5 - caps at 75 (80 if spell level 15+)
    • armor: 50 + spell level * 10 + difficulty bonus
      • bonuses from difficulty:
      • nightmare: 90
      • hell: 160
      • torment: 300
    • golem level previously was always set to 1, now it's equal to caster's. Which means golem should get hit less and hit more often!
  • Decoy inherits player's resistances
  • Made spellpower boost golem / and necro zombies/skeletons - who knows, maybe some max mana max spellpower golem build is torment viable now :)
  • Spellpower boost for zombies/skeletons doesn't include bonuses from stats (with vit bonus to hp being an exception - it does benefit from spellpower)
  • Updated golem spell description - it doesn't benefit from magic, but from mana
  • Added description for warrior's forge mastery skill
  • Increase timeout duration (from 5 to 20 seconds) - hopefully this will prevent being dropped because of having a lot of items in stash
  • Adjusted assassin's magic casting speed to match fire and lightning spells (casting will be slower)
  • Fixed a bug where you had to restart game after respec for spellbooks magic requirements to be recalculated properly
  • Fixed a bunch of typos
    • Frality -> Frailty
    • Enchanted shrine: loosing -> losing
    • Help panel: When and item -> When an item
    • Unique: Eaglerhorn -> Eaglehorn, Goreshowel -> Goreshovel
    • Skills: Etheralize -> Etherealize
  • Display info about X hotkey for level 1 characters
  • Fixed a bug where scavengers awarded no xp if killed while they were eating a corpse
  • Items with durability decreased by hidden shrine can't have current durability greater than max anymore
  • Increased max shop sell item price - 25k base + 25k per difficulty
  • Added /roll command for rolling a 0-99 number
  • Allowed going to previous screen with ESC during character name selection or multiplayer IP screen

I was surprised how well the GOG diablo bundle loaded up. Different options even. I just need to set up diablo 2 now from that other thread.

and just because....
http://plugy.free.fr/en/index.html

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
patch v1.0610

Is there some sort of error here like NOTHING TO DL

I click any of the DL links on the patreon page and nothing.. go figure. (Maybe you have to be a patreon supporter now ?? )

I thought thd discord was gone too. Wtf happun?

Anyone have a copy of that version?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom