Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The story setup reads like a bad fantasy fanfic,

Their stories were never anything special. What made up for this is that they never took things very seriously and they always injected humor in their games.

I haven't seen much of the OS story (mostly some dialogs and quests as it's still a work in progress) but so far it seems reminiscent of Divinity 1 and to be their usual kind of light-hearted fantasy, which I always find so refreshing compared to the many other developers that take it so seriously. On the other hand I saw more of the Dragon Commander story and C&C and let's just say that they got a very good mix of serious and humour and many situations and dialogs that the Codex will approve of.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Swen Vincke ‏@LarAtLarian1m
Spread the word-Divinity:Original Sin hits #Kickstarter so we can make this game the best RPG we've ever made - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin …

:takemymoney: :takemymoney:

The next RPG in the award-winning Divinity series featuring classic turn-based combat,cooperative multiplayer and a unique RPG editor.​

"Picture a modern version of a world not unlike that of Ultima VII, that can be explored either alone or with a friend, that sees you engage adversaries in tactical turn-based combat reminiscent of the great turn-based RPGs of the past. A world that is filled to the brim with choice and consequence situations, reactive NPCs, and a considerable amount of surprises. A world that captures the feeling of playing pen and paper RPGs with our friends. Then add the new stuff..." - Vision statement for Divinity: Original Sin

When making large-scale epic RPGs it often helps to summarise what you are trying to make in a couple of lines, just to ensure you don't lose focus during development. You can spend a lot of time trying to come up with these vision statements, but when we started making Divinity: Original Sin, it didn't take us long to come up with the one above. It's simply what we've always wanted to do. The only reason we haven't made this game before was that the following list never made it past the marketing departments of many a known publisher.

• Divinity:Original Sin is an Isometric cRPG.
  • You can play in single player mode but also in cooperative multiplayer mode
  • It's a real epic CRPG so even in multiplayer, you're engaging in much more than just combat and item fever. A nifty cooperative dialog system, a highly reactive world, a deep character development system and plenty of choice and consequence situations see to that.
  • You can create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
  • Combat is very tactical. It is turn-based and features things like skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more.
  • Exploration is greatly rewarded.
  • You can develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system.
  • There are countless item interactions and item combinations waiting to be discovered.
  • No Divinity game is complete without music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally! Larian is giving us the REAL Ultima sequel I want. <3 <3

EDIT: Updated OP with kickstarter link.

Snikt

Novice
Very uncool, they should have waited till Torment kickstarter finished, now they are just going to cause Torment backers to drop the level of pledge so they can afford this game too.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Very uncool, they should have waited till Torment kickstarter finished, now they are just going to cause Torment backers to drop the level of pledge so they can afford this game too.
Eh, no worries there. I just hope it doesn't cripple their start, so it might've been unwise from that perspective. I backed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I haven't seen much of the OS story (mostly some dialogs and quests as it's still a work in progress) but so far it seems reminiscent of Divinity 1 and to be their usual kind of light-hearted fantasy, which I always find so refreshing compared to the many other developers that take it so seriously. On the other hand I saw more of the Dragon Commander story and C&C and let's just say that they got a very good mix of serious and humour and many situations and dialogs that the Codex will approve of.

As long as the guy/guys who wrote Divinity 2 don't get free reign over the story, you can make it work. There's "funny"and then there's "cringe worthy", and Divinity 2 was the later. That being said, maybe it's just me that doesn't find the Larian's writing all that funny, i'm much more of a fan of english comedy than over the top "trying too hard" to make you laugh type.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

As long as the guy/guys who wrote Divinity 2 don't get free reign over the story, you can make it work. There's "funny"and then there's "cringe worthy", and Divinity 2 was the later. That being said, maybe it's just me that doesn't find the Larian's writing all that funny, i'm much more of a fan of english comedy than over the top "trying too hard" to make you laugh type.
ban Kem0sabe.

Black

Arcane
YaTmDl1.jpg

TOO FUCKING BAD I'M TOO RETARDED WITH INTERNET MONEY AND HOW IT WORKS

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
FUCK !! I don't have money right now ! Why the hell are all these kickstarters ganged up together ?

Seolas

Liturgist
Withdrawing my pledge to fund Lord British's next penis hunting expedition to back this. Looks great.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've just watched the Kickstarter video and am now in the process of picking up my jaw from the floor. Before, I thought this game will be good, but if it all works out, it can actually be an amazing accomplishment of the genre.

EDIT:

The game's website received an overhaul and I think there are now more screenshots than before.

Dialogue system seems like a mix of keyword-based and full sentence (?).

DOS_0021.jpg

DOS_0019.jpg

DOS_0009.jpg

Also, the game is simply gorgeous. :love:

DOS_0012.jpg

DOS_0000.jpg

DOS_0015.jpg

Jashiin

Arcane
They might want to make the dialogue boxes less transparant. Hard to read like this.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm. The bearded dude with glasses who plays co-op with the main narrator at 06:12 wears a classy Venom hoodie sometimes when he's filmed from the back, but a Lizzy Borden shirt when he's filmed from the front. That's strange, pretty schizophrenic taste in music if it's indeed the same person.

Anyway, not a fan of the Divinity series, but I'm sure this will be a pretty decent game. At least it's got turn-based combat instead of hack'n'slash and it seems they've nailed a lot of small details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom