Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just a word of warning,dragon quest heroes does not feature any co op.
Co op is pretty much the selling point of the warriors game so i don't know what they were thinking here.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just a word of warning,dragon quest heroes does not feature any co op.
Co op is pretty much the selling point of the warriors game so i don't know what they were thinking here.
Wow, that sucks. I guess they figure most Dragon Quest fans don't have any friends?

The game is essentially worthless now, though. Unless you just really have to see DQ characters again.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, Dynasty Warriors and it's bajillion sequels and spinoffs never bothered with adding giant monsters. I'll probably give this a whirl when it's out. Thought it'd take a lot longer too, usually they make shit exclusive for at least a year before a PC release. Monsters also have a much better chance of having some variety in cannon-fodder. Everyone in a DW needs to either swing a melee weapon or fire an arrow. Makes the mooks incredibly boring even when they're strong enough to crush you.

Plus I'm just sick of how generic and samey all the DW cast is. They don't even have unique weapons any more, they just use each-other's shit. And the only mode interesting shit ever happens in is the story mode, but in that case you have to replay the exact same battles like 300 times to see everything, urgh. Would rather have more unique battles with fewer points of view to fight on.

Siveon

Bot
Eh, Dynasty Warriors and it's bajillion sequels and spinoffs never bothered with adding giant monsters.
Hyrule Warriors. I think one of the Gundam games also had a giant robot. The Fist of the North Star game also had boss battles that looked a lot like those giant monster battles. Not sure about the similarity.

Damned Registrations

Haven't played Hyrule Warriors (though it does also seem interesting, it's obviously not getting a PC release). I played one of the gundam games and it was pretty ass. You were basically forced to wipe out enemies in a series of locations to fill a stupid metre so the real enemy would show up. Novel I suppose, but it made for poor gameplay. Especially with the godawful mechanic of mooks only appearing 10 at a time or whatever even when you should be surrounded by 120, making your uber attacks only slightly more effective than your mundane ones.

All the fun in these games is with dueling generals and activating special events to fuck with the overall battle. It's way too dull when you're basically just heavy artillery marching alongside your stupid troops. I want to do commando shit- go behind enemy lines and kill Lu Bu so they all shit themselves and flee. Not whittle away their nameless officers until my peons can reach the gate and open it for me because I'm too retarded to use a ladder.

Siveon

Bot
I want to do commando shit- go behind enemy lines and kill Lu Bu so they all shit themselves and flee. Not whittle away their nameless officers until my peons can reach the gate and open it for me because I'm too retarded to use a ladder.
Well, you're definitely not getting that from KT. Or, anywhere for that matter. I don't think Romance of the Three Kingdoms had any notions of commando shit in the first place, but then again I've never read it.

Haven't played Hyrule Warriors (though it does also seem interesting, it's obviously not getting a PC release). I played one of the gundam games and it was pretty ass. You were basically forced to wipe out enemies in a series of locations to fill a stupid metre so the real enemy would show up. Novel I suppose, but it made for poor gameplay. Especially with the godawful mechanic of mooks only appearing 10 at a time or whatever even when you should be surrounded by 120, making your uber attacks only slightly more effective than your mundane ones.

I barely remember any of the game as a whole. I only remember really loving playing as the G Gundam 'cause I was watching the series at the time. That was like, 5-6 years ago? The best of the series is probably one of the Empires games, or one of the earlier ones like 4 or 5 that actually had characters that felt somewhat different.

My favorite of the spin offs so far is Fist of the North Star. The boss battles were pretty fun.

We went really off topic though, whoops!

Damned Registrations

I recall in the early games (2 or 3) you could easily do shit like run across the entire map and straight up assassinate the enemy general and end the whole battle in like 2 minutes. And you could do similar things with a bunch of the events that did things like create reinforcements or change the terrain. Felt pretty awesome. I missed most of the middle ones but the last one I played (8 I think? The one on steam) didn't let you do that kind of shit, the battles felt very very scripted, making you fight a series of scripted battles to do things like open gates or make the enemies spawn. They were at least varied in how they were scripted though, unlike the gundam spinoff was. That game was literally just button mashing until the sector you were in turned blue so you could move to the next sector- repeat until map was blue.

Machocruz

Arcane
I had a blast with Warriors Orochi 3. It has the same scripted nature of the recent DWs, but the sheer amount of characters and the fact that you fight both regular Chinese military and a demon army added a bit of spice. All characters had their own weapon type. It was really fun to try everyone.

I liked Hyrule Warriors a lot, granted it was the first Warriors game I've ever played. The only thing I didn't care for was that so many of the side missions forced you into getting an S-rank with a particular character. I liked playing everybody for the most part, but certain characters like Zant or the stupid bug-collector girl were unbearable to play.

I'm going to buy Heroes when it comes out on steam, without a doubt. I was actually kind of bummed that it was PS4 exclusive.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Modern warriors game lack both the ai and level design of the ps2 games,and koei keeps introducing more stupider grinding mechanics.
But they do have more diverse casts.(remember how old ps2 games sword users were using the same moves)
1)Dynasty warriors 8 each character is unique and is by far the best of the modern vanilla series(story mode is pretty long and alternative objectives make it quite replayable).
2)Pirate warriors 3 has the lowest amount of characters but each one feels unique(characters finally have difference in timing and chains),if you can stomach the anime tropes i recommend it because it is by far the best of the spinoffs.
Haven't played warriors orochi and hyrule warriors.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Quest heroes 2 has co-op. It's sort of Dynasty Warrios but still has rpg elements. I can sya that I haven't liked any Dynasty Warriors games but I like DQH.

Controls are solid, voice acting is good, soundtrack is a nostalgia fest and I think the graphics look ace.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Sorry, I am not bringing a western release date for DQ11.

I just finished DQ2.
The exploration is very good with puzzle obstacles and a nice (not very easy) research part (I took more notes than for SiTS), that's much more fun than all those checkpoint simulators we always play. It's somewhat satisfying to finish this one.
The game is relatively long, due to research and backtracking.
Combat mostly sucks, still more bearable than Evergrace or such shit. Monsters which attack your MPs are evil :salute:, forcing you to leave a dungeon to be healed then return to the dungeon, just to be attacked by these same monsters again. There are also other cool monsters near the end which use Sacrifice, which kills your entire party. That's never really frustrating since there's no game over in the game and you're only transported to the last saving point, with half? money.
JAsa0uE.jpg

Sure I'll play DQ3 sooner or later (a good one from what I read, and with a class system nothing can go wrong anyway).

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I remember loving the initial Dragon Warrior game on NES when I played it in the late 80's/early 90's, but I also remember falling asleep while playing (more than once) because the grinding was so painfully bad. Put me off playing anything that followed it in the series.

deuxhero

Arcane
DQ3's class system is VERY primitive. You can't change the class of party members till VERY far into the game and all that carries over are stats (which is counter intuitive to optimize for several reasons) and known spells (which to my understanding is only useful for caster to caster transitions) and getting to be able to change class again requires a ton of grinding.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dq 7 is fucking long. it is also one of the most supremely beautiful (not graphics-wise, but thematically and philosophically) jrpg's i've ever played. the art of story telling and nuanced character development, both in the gameplay sense and in the literal sense, are alive and well in dq 7. while the game by no means features C and C of the sort we nowadays expect in western RPG games there is however a threaded narrative that, among many other themes and concepts is completely about the fact that every single action you take has a completely unpredictable consequence and the game's slow burn allows the player to nurture the admittedly gigantic investment asked of them by the game; the reward is complete and the game never breaks the authorial contract it forged with the player from the very start by seeing every single one of its themes, every single one of its characters, and every single pixel of its larger-than-planet-9 world fully realize a mature and terrifyingly complete narrative arc.

i shed weeabo tears during the final, mid-credits scene... only rpg j or otherwise that's ever wrung a tear out of me. btw, the first time i finished it it was on ps1 and the game clock read 167 hours and some minutes :D

and nope, i did not do a single sidequest whatsoever!

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
dq 7 is fucking long. it is also one of the most supremely beautiful (not graphics-wise, but thematically and philosophically) jrpg's i've ever played. the art of story telling and nuanced character development, both in the gameplay sense and in the literal sense, are alive and well in dq 7. while the game by no means features C and C of the sort we nowadays expect in western RPG games there is however a threaded narrative that, among many other themes and concepts is completely about the fact that every single action you take has a completely unpredictable consequence and the game's slow burn allows the player to nurture the admittedly gigantic investment asked of them by the game; the reward is complete and the game never breaks the authorial contract it forged with the player from the very start by seeing every single one of its themes, every single one of its characters, and every single pixel of its larger-than-planet-9 world fully realize a mature and terrifyingly complete narrative arc.

i shed weeabo tears during the final, mid-credits scene... only rpg j or otherwise that's ever wrung a tear out of me. btw, the first time i finished it it was on ps1 and the game clock read 167 hours and some minutes :D

and nope, i did not do a single sidequest whatsoever!

I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, but such an endorsement requires some attention. I will check it out.

Siveon

Bot
I am hype for DQ7 on the 3DS. I may even play DQ8 despite the apparent decline, since well, Dragon Quest. And to be fair it was the 2nd DQ game I've ever played (never went past the 1h mark).

The exploration is very good with puzzle obstacles and a nice (not very easy) research part (I took more notes than for SiTS), that's much more fun than all those checkpoint simulators we always play. It's somewhat satisfying to finish this one.
The game is relatively long, due to research and backtracking.

Oh yeah, in terms of exploration DQ2 had a really cool world, which you eventually have to learn the ins and outs of. It's a lot like Ultima in that regard, actually.

deuxhero

Arcane
Forgot about this thread.

Builders has had a demo on Japanese PSN for a week if you have a PS4/Vita and want to try it. Apparently it's actually a good demo.

lightbane

Arcane
I found DG V one of the best games of the series. Also, it is only of the few jrpgs (hell, I would even say one of the few games), in which the protagonist forms a family who's not dysfunctional in any way, but actually help each other in a kind, believable matter. Literal adventure for the whole family! Lastly, it does have minor C&C: you can choose from a selection of different waifus who will be your wife. Each one has completely different stats and abilities. IIRC, each one also slightly changed the children she would eventually give birth to. :M

Last edited:
Crooked Bee this just brims with jrpg goodness and love maybe it'll pique your interest

I got the fan translation yesterday and have been playing the ps2 version ever since. It's pretty great so far, but the random encounter rate seems through the roof, I don't remember it being quite like that in the DS version...

Jinn

Arcane
For those who have played both the SNES and PS2 versions of Dragon Quest V, what would you say is the one I'd best be spending my time on? I love the sprite work in the original, but the translation, music, and 4 party members in the remake are a huge draw for me.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Both are great. The fan translation for the snes is pretty good IIRC. The sprites aren't that great though, at least compared with the beautiful graphics of DQVI.

Anyway, I'd probably go with the new version for the added stuff. The remake sure feels like a product of love. But it's a tough call, the snes one has more of that nostalgia vibe, even if you play it now for the first time.

I remember playing DQ7 during the PS1 era around 2001 or 2002 but didn't get very far, stopped at the first cave or some shit.

However I downloaded it again the other day and it felt pretty good, even though it looks like hot garbage. Is the game really too big and a huge waste of time? I kinda feel like playing it but don't feel like starting a very slow game and quitting again.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's humongous. I never got to the second disc and I played like 80 hours back in the day. I've heard it can take over 200. It took aweigh 167 and he didn't do any sidequests.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom