Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duel of Champions

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I play this quite heavily - any Codex bros do it as well? Post your usernames and I'll add you for much love <3

Mine's Grunker.

The game's biggest problem was that getting individual cards was a pain in the ass, but this was solved perfectly by the newly added Altar of Wishes I'd say. Get some booster packs from the set, and you can get individual cards fairly cheap. I haven't spend a cent on the game and haven't played it overly much, yet I have one completely finished great deck and half of another.

Game's mechanics are great in the way the balance out the concepts of tempo, value and card advantage of the typical TCG. There are also quite a few top tier decks now, though in my opinion there could be more with a few modifications.

There are some individual cards that are just badly designed (Pao Deathseeker, Ice Splinters + Song of the Lost interaction), but otherwise, yeah, I like this one a lot.

(JarlFrank, Jaedar, Damned Registrations, Bratislav, AMG, Disgruntled, herostratus)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Played it for a while, ragequit eventually because it's unbalanced like all fuck, 90% of people play negrodancers, and getting actually useful cards is an utter pain in the arse.

Oh, and let's not forget about them constant random crashes, bugs and disconnects.

Oh yeah, and no sort of instants/dispels/counterspells makes the whole system total crap.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Played it for a while, ragequit eventually because it's unbalanced like all fuck

noob detected

getting actually useful cards is an utter pain in the arse.

The game's biggest problem was that getting individual cards was a pain in the ass, but this was solved perfectly by the newly added Altar of Wishes

Oh, and let's not forget about them constant random crashes, bugs and disconnects.

Haven't had a single one.

Oh yeah, and no sort of instants/dispels/counterspells makes the whole system total crap.

I wouldn't say crap, but I don't like that design either. It does make turns play very fast though, which I do like.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wasn't even able to install it. And according to their tech support site, the game doesn't even exist.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My username is Jaedar.

I see they've released a new faction. I guess I'll start playing this again for a week or something.

Edit: The alter of wishes feature seems like a godsend. Is buying packs the only way to get wildcards?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
according to their tech support site, the game doesn't even exist.

I mistakenly bought a Heroic Box for my seals, and I contacted support and was able to select DoC just fine from the dropdown. They refunded the seals and let me keep the box. Pretty bro.

My username is Jaedar.

I see they've released a new faction. I guess I'll start playing this again for a week or something.

Edit: The alter of wishes feature seems like a godsend. Is buying packs the only way to get wildcards?

That, and achievements. I found I got a good number though. But yeah, the game was kindda lousy without it. With it, it just needs a draft format and it goes from "fun aside" to "excellent tcg" in my opinion.

Needs a draft format.

Motherfucking hell yeah it does. It's a fucking wonder they haven't got one, and currently it's the game's biggest flaw.

Too pay2win.

Somebody+call+the+sWAT+team+someone+just+broke+the+law+_ee96a5b72089d1478b85c02ec7d1451b.jpg

I've played the campaign and about 100 ranked matches, and I have one fully complete competitive deck and one almost complete (needs like 7 or 8 cards more). I haven't spend a dime, and I only just began using the Altar of Wishes.

J1M

Arcane
I've played the campaign and about 100 ranked matches, and I have one fully complete competitive deck and one almost complete (needs like 7 or 8 cards more). I haven't spend a dime, and I only just began using the Altar of Wishes.
Then you are very lucky that you were able to find a good hero card in your booster packs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Then you are very lucky that you were able to find a good hero card in your booster packs.

Even if you were right (I'm wading in heroes, so your definition of lucky is either different from mine or I've been insanely lucky), you're not any more with the addition of Altar of Wishes.

J1M

Arcane
Grunker, I'm sure they have made plenty of changes since I tried it. I have migrated to hearthstone because it has a draft format.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Grunker, I'm sure they have made plenty of changes since I tried it. I have migrated to hearthstone because it has a draft format.
Also more casual mechanics :M

Anyway, it was fun playing a couple of games against Grunker today. I really need to decide where I want to take my inferno deck now that I can actually buy whatever cards I need.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Hearthstone is way too simplistic for me, but I do agree that the lack of draft format fucking sucks. In case you're curious, the Altar of Wishes basically means that everytime you open packs, there's a chance you get wildcards. You can use wildcards to obtain specific cards - no randomness involved.

Also, Jaedar > Grunker :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll try it out.

Grunker
I am sprutimunnen if you wanna play.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I drew 3 purge cards in a row and lost (well I just left the game) after being 18-4 up against the opponent, and having more cards on the field.
CBA grinding to make a decent deck, so adios DoC.

Arena mode in Hearthstone is probably the only CG I'll ever play. I hope they expand the beta soon.

Zeriel

Arcane
While the Altar of Wishes equalizes the game, I would still prefer a draft mode, and think in the long term the Altar of Wishes is bad for the game. It's already obvious when you see every single deck playing Dark Assassin on Turn 1/Turn 2, and of course the fact some legendary cards are just broken-as-fuck because they were supposed to be rare.

The real disease at the heart of this game is "absolute" cards, like pretty much all fortunes. Only offering solid counters to fortunes to 1-2 factions is horrific design.

Last edited:

Disgruntled

Savant
Oh the Altar is here at last. I lost my discipline and stopped the daily log-ins. Only grinded 1.3k seals till now.
Gonna see if I can get hooked again.

Emily

Arcane
i played it. Got to about 800 elo and in my honest opinion after that point it is impossible to have a fun time if you are not buying cards for real money.
Prices seem way high also since you can end up with useless trash. I see that they improved it by adding the altar so i might check it out later if hearthstone turns out to be bad.

AMG

Arbiter
In case anybody is interested in this, use your seals on the latest expasion box and only on it. The cards are whatever but you will get plenty of wildcards things with which you can buy actually useful stuff from the base set. You never get usefeul cards from those fuking packs anyway. Too bad there was no altar when I started, I wouldn't have wasted fucking 3000 seals on serious shitbox back then.

The new expansion is pretty nice, at least it doesn't have more of those "dispel it or lose" cards as far as I have seen + some counters to other annoying crap. The gayest thing I have seen is the Ammar deck. Although as Zeriel said the Altar of Wishes means that instead of playing with your shitty cards against opponents shitty cards, you now play with your broken shit against opponents broken shit. I don't really know which I prefer.

What does altar do?

Also I agree, don't waste your precious seals on the first expension box (I did (((). It is too small, you really need cards from the second and third expansion as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom