Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by HoboForEternity, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Your response to the tiresome use of horse riding is calling it shit in every game. My response is to that not mounted sword fights.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Momock Savant

Momock
    Maybe you should aswer to posts as a whole instead of cherrypicking parts out of context? :M

^ Top  
  3. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I actually love horses in real life, but sometimes I see something like The Dark Crystal or a Moebius drawing and I crave for something weirder.

EDIT: The above line is very suggestive, but I'm sticking with it. :bounce:

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    I want a Sekiro style of blocking for this game. You can tie it to Stamina instead of posture and get rid of OP parries.

Edit: A very divisive subject I see

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Didn't mean wow as in good, but as in novel. We're well past horse riding being a new and unique thing in games. And I don't see mounted combat being something that satisfying in practice anyway unless the horse shoots lasers or poop, so I didn't have it in mind. Maybe From will come with a completely new angle to it never seen in games or film, but I highly doubt it. And it will never be as good as on foot combat. What the human body lacks in raw strength and speed compared to the horse, it makes up for in versatility and fine motor movement.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    ^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Dan Vavra from Warhose described what an unimaginable pain in the ass it is to create a good riding simulation. Apparently most studios default to purchasing a stock motion capture and riding package created years ago by someone who suffered through it, instead of doing it themselves. Prolly one reason why it all looks kindda meh.

I'm sure tho Rockstar created their own model since most money in the world belong to them.

^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That seems a fairly optimistic interpretation of DeS ending. Considering the amount of swords littering the ground (like the one dropped to open the seal), it seems just as likely (if not more likely) that putting the old one back to sleep is temporary measure that has been done many times before, and will be needed again in the future.

More on topic, yeah I don't know if fromsoft still have good 'fromsoft' games in them. It's been pure downhill on that front since bloodborne/ds imo.

Ds3 and Sekiro aren't bad games, but they also don't feel special to me, more like the sort of thing any studio could have made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    DS3 does feel like it was outsourced to some Chink outfit but Sekiro has quite a few special moments. It may still feel kindda thin tho because it was intentionally less ambitious than previous FS works.

I for one would wait for Elden Ring to pass any judgements about FS.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    It's simple: we, uh, kill the Miyazaki.

Since he gets the credit for From's rise, he can take it for any downhill slide they are on. I'm sure they have some other people who can head up games. Other ideas besides this "formula" they've settled on. If not, then they don't deserve to thrive maybe.

^ Top  
  10. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I do think there's something to this. A lot of elements that made demon souls seem to have been very personal things for Miyazaki. Ambiguous story because that's what playing english games as a child was for him. Transient coop because he had an experience with his car and a slippery hill at some point. Probably more examples as well, but the point is that I think from needs some project director who has personal experiences they want to share. They managed to milk three good games out of miyazaki (DeS, DS1 and bb), although arguably that's two, because DS1 is mostly a refined version of DeS.

I think all the games have some good moments. The final battle in DS3 is great for example, as is the reveal of frozen Anor Londo...

Having made 3 good games in around a decade, at least one of which I'd put on a personal top 10 games all time, I'm willing to give them more than Elden Ring to try again. But I'm not going to D1P it on vague hope as I did Sekiro.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Well, From made King's Field (and its related series, Shadow Tower) and Armored Core, both having more than superficial similarities to Souls. Actually I'd dare to say that Souls is a combination of their King's Field and Armored Core, moreso the former for obvious reasons, but the third person combat in particular from the latter. Hell, even the most common and arguably one of the most optimal methods for damage avoidance in AC is to keep boosting around the enemy mech in circles which is like rolling in Souls games.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    Demon souls was very kings field. thats why I like it so much. sadly its lost its kings field charm over the years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. toro Arcane

toro
    Next Elden Ring news: Taipei Game Show begins next month on February 6th and concludes a few days later on February 9th.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Imo last chance to announce something if it's gonna come out this year.

Afaik FromSoft usually releases games around the end of March, probably something to do with Q1 financial results. If they don't announce the release date soon then it's another year of waiting for us, simple as that.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Q1 for gaming companies is usually the Q4 of their financial year.

Depends on the publishers though. Usually the timing pressure should be from a publicly listed publisher like Activision.

^ Top  
  16. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    Yeah there's no way it's coming out in March. None. From what we know so far it's a very large if not the largest project the company is working on. On top of this there hasn't been any gameplay reveals (which there were for previous games), no interviews (Sekiro had a bunch of them months before release), not even an ETA, nothing. My guess is 2021, easily. I'd be shocked if it would come out this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. toro Arcane

toro
    FromSoftware’s Elden Ring Release Date Possibly Outed for June 2020

it's a rumor

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bendu Novice

Bendu
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Matador Erudite

Matador
    Playing Elden Ring:

> 1 hour creating your baddass looking male character, picking the best equiped melee class or low level to min-maxing an overpowered hybrid build.
    > Enter the tutorial, kill some undeads mounted on your horse, "feels good man."
    > Encounter the fat tutorial boss with a big hammer. He kills you in one shot. "Classic souls, nice,hehe"
    > Thanks to Rape Rape Martin play the rest of the game as an unsufferable princess with no boob physics and magic locked gameplay.
    > Patches tricks you to marry him and Muhyazaki gives him plot armour. No treasure or dragons this time.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I'm not saying I hate character creation fags but they should've been gassed instead of the Jews just sayin.

• Racist Racist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Seems it may come this spring after all boyiiiiiz :bounce:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/01/06/sony-taipei-game-show-2020-lineup/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    It doesn't say it will come in spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    We've been over that, in the last 10 years FromSoft almost always releases games in March, with the only exception being DS1. So it's not guaranteed but very likely.

^ Top  
  25. Matador Erudite

Matador
    If it confirms would be great. Stealthy and swift prestigious release, like in the old times. Everybody experiencing the game fresh on day one.

Compare that to 10 months of Soy cuckish PVPers streaming private beta builds milking bosses ad nauseaum, while everyone is talking every detail of every second of footage published on the forums. Endless youtube video recomendations with spoilerish thumbnails, including Vaati ones.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)