Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I would be happy if this game came out this year because scandanavian dark souls sounds fun and I could kill for another good singleplayer game.

vota DC

Augur
> Thanks to Rape Rape Martin play the rest of the game as an unsufferable princess with no boob physics and magic locked gameplay.

In age of wonders 1 you have a secret joke spell that is named Cosmagic Surgery....in a 3D game should deny boob physics.

retinoid

Savant
New info from an insider on ResetEra:

The biggest single change in terms of design moving from Dark Souls to Elden Ring is the “open world”. But there are a million open world games from MMO’s to AAA games to BOTW, some very similar and some very different and some have even said “Well, isn’t Dark Souls already Open World? [From a certain point of view]. So let’s take a look at Elden Ring’s Open World in terms of design.

Remember when you first played Dark Souls and how cool it was traversing the world, especially once you got passed the early areas and human settlements like Undead Parish? Entering Sen’s Fortress, The Tomb of Giants and Anor Londo? All these incredible and varying locales that made this world feel much larger than it really is and the scale at which things were designed making you feel like this world was truly not built for the likes of you? It’s something I definitely missed from later titles. But after the shininess has worn off you’re able to start seeing that this massive world wasn’t really all that massive and was, realistically quite small. I want you to think about that while also thinking about Miyazaki’s quote of “we want to do things we weren’t able to do with Dark Souls”. Imagine a game in which that illusion was able to be made a lot more “real”. Now open your (metaphorical) eyes to Elden Ring.

Due to the nature of the game being “open world” it’s also able to more effectively capitalize on the concept of being able to see an area long before you reach it as well as looking back across the land to places you have already been, seeing how places connect and what not. This one of Dark Souls 1’s most charming elements and it’s been brought forward into Elden Ring in both a more natural way and on a much larger and more effective scale and I’d imagine that’s a design element that most will appreciate, as I certainly do. You’ll be traveling across the world and seeing places long before you’re able to reach them. Imagine a scenario in which you arrive at the staircase like the one in the dungeon in DS3, looking out across a vast distance to see a castle like Archdragon peak. But instead of having to psychically transport yourself there you know that eventually you’ll be able to cross that vast distance, bridge that gap and reach that castle to find what lies inside. The increased scale and scope is a hugely important pillar of this title.

That being said, this world is quite large. Before you start freaking out and going “but From said this isn’t your typical open world, is this going to be a big, largely empty world with random crap sprinkled throughout the world just to fill the space?” Short answer: Absolutely not. Long answer: one of the pillars of design in Elden Ring is to create a meaningful and fully realized world (to the best of From’s ability). Which doesn’t mean collectathons, random and sparse packs of copy pasted enemies and a lot of landmass simply for the sake of having a lot of landmass. What’s important is creating a variety of experiences for you to encounter and face throughout your journey while also making the world feel real and alive, like a place you can truly immerse yourself in and lose hours to and to a massively greater degree than in previous titles. As well as filling the world with interesting landmarks to draw your attention and help you familiarize yourself with your surroundings but also points of interest along your journey from one goal to another.

Areas will connect to one another like Dark Souls and I think it’s worth mentioning that they are aware of the problems of the infamous Iron Keep > Earthern Peak and the increased space allows things like that to be avoided.

In terms of the landmass itself, it’s far more similar to the works of Miyazaki’s idol Ueda than anything else (at least outside of Fromsoft), so it’s not just about having a super large mass of open field, but also degrees of verticality (where it makes sense) as well as natural transitions between the more open sections and the less open sections like castles and ruins and whatnot. When I mentioned Scotland in the original E3 post this is what I was referring to. Not Celtic or Gaelic Mythology (and such rumors had nothing to do with me). The landscapes of Scotland served as an inspiration for Elden Ring’s landscapes. That being said you’ll also be sure to see plenty of cool fantasy locales

“Alright, well, that’s cool and all but after a while things might get a bit samey right? And I’m not seeing how this is really all that different aside from just being bigger” While aside from there being a number of different locales this is a great opportunity to talk about another massive change. A departure from static worlds to a more meaningfully and active one. What do I mean by this?

Looking first at past Fromsoft games Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro. These are all, largely static worlds. Things generally, don’t really happen unless you’re there to make them happen. Enemies might patrol a certain, small perimeter at best and during major player activated story events, enemy layout might change and or the behaviours of a few enemies might change in tiny ways. Such as the church giants in Bloodborne no longer patrolling the area and instead sitting on their knees. But overall, once you’ve been through an area once even after it’s changed you generally know exactly what to expect and where to expect it. The player activated changes might indicate a change in time of day across the entire world that will persist until again, the player activates an event and changes it or other things that are, fairly superficial.

And looking at the vast majority of open world games, they have day/night cycles and weather systems and both are usually primarily if not entirely cosmetic.

So where does that leave us with Elden Ring? Starting with static/nonstatic. Elden Ring, like past games will have opportunities to effect and change things in the world. But the noteworthy element here is that the world will change on its own. I don’t mean in any singular major sense but perhaps you’re strolling down your typical route to get from point A to B, having a jolly time on your horse, blasting old town road and before you know it you’re met with some sort of towering monstrosity. You’ve now got 2 choices. A try your luck and attempt to take down the beast. B: Pull a big ol nope and get your ass right out of there. Maybe you pick B, and end up taking a different route from now on…but who’s to say it won’t show up there too? Or even if it’s the only one out there? Perhaps you’ve been traveling, see something cool and start traveling inside some ruins or a cave. You start making your way back out and hey, things look a lot darker outside than they did when I came in and the enemies that were here when I left aren’t here any more…but some other things are. Perhaps there are ways to use this situation to my advantage, but perhaps I don’t want to risk it. The game also has its weather cycles though I wouldn’t expect anything particularly expansive or exciting in this department. Ultimately you’re left with a world that feels a lot more alive and like I said immersive. Like this is a place where things live.

Accompanying this are some changes and improvements to AI and design that has found new ways to trick the player into a false sense of security before being murdered. We’ve now leveled up from things hiding behind a corner and popping out to either slit your neck or kick you off a cliff, now we’ve got more involved and elaborate jebait mechanics to go with a more sophisticated world (Though I’d imagine plenty of the usual will end up in the game as well).

With all this being added and all the work being put into making this title what it is, I wouldn’t expect the likes of world tendency or insight this time around.

And all this is pretty much open and free for you to explore.

“But I like Fromsoft level design and hate open world games” There will, of course be plenty of your typically meticulously crafted areas for that too.

Alright, happy new years everyone.

retinoid

Savant
Open world is cancer.
It is but I'm curious to see how From can implement it. The thing that gives me hope is when Miyazaki said it would be their "take" on an open world and he wasn't even sure if that was the right word to describe the game.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I play it. I remember how pre-release hype made Dark Souls 2 sound like it would be a good game and then it came out.

They already had me at scandanavian dark souls. I hope it's good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Feels to me like a big fat bunch of nothing-talk. Yes it's open world, yes there will be castles, yes you can see the PoIs from a distance, yes there will be monsters on the road.

Much whoa, such info. Wake me up for the Taipei show.

retinoid

Savant
Feels to me like a big fat bunch of nothing-talk. Yes it's open world, yes there will be castles, yes you can see the PoIs from a distance, yes there will be monsters on the road.

Much whoa, such info. Wake me up for the Taipei show.
The Taipei show will have the exact same trailer we saw at E3. We aren't getting anything new until Microsoft's Series X reveal in April/May, or E3 in June. No doubt we'll get a release date then, but it's probably a 2021 release with a slim chance of a Q3 or Q4 2020 release like DS1 had (September release IIRC).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I'm very skeptical at how they can implement the same level of detail and polish of DS1 in a much larger gameworld.
Either they will random generate the areas and add some manual tweaks on top on that, or they 'll focus their budget on the world and recycle a lot of assets from previous games.
The second option would be acceptable if they can manage to introduce enough innovation compared to previous titles, beside bigger map.
Weapons and movesets, animations, enemies and AI, items and spells, balance are much more important than map surface

retinoid

Savant
I'm very skeptical at how they can implement the same level of detail and polish of DS1 in a much larger gameworld.
Either they will random generate the areas and add some manual tweaks on top on that, or they 'll focus their budget on the world and recycle a lot of assets from previous games.
The second option would be acceptable if they can manage to introduce enough innovation compared to previous titles, beside bigger map.
Weapons and movesets, animations, enemies and AI, items and spells, balance are much more important than map surface
DS1 took 2 years to make, Elden Ring is looking like at least a 4 year dev cycle. I'm not saying they can definitely pull it off, but 4 years is a good amount of time for a game of this scope.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
DS1 took 2 years to make, Elden Ring is looking like at least a 4 year dev cycle. I'm not saying they can definitely pull it off, but 4 years is a good amount of time for a game of this scope.
DS despite being relatively small was unifinished, and the second half ( notably lost izalith and all 4 lords) is half assed because they ran out of money and time.
Assuming DS 1 costed 25 millions to make, and it was unfinished, how much more it would need to extend the same level of attention and variety to a much larger world?
I'm sure they will need to cut corners somewhere. Even sekiro wich was a much smaller project had to do

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you don't trust FROM and Miyazaki to execute well an idea and make a good game with it, just quit gaming.

I spent a good amount of hours in December playing Armored Core 4 Answer, and it's amazing the magic they did in that game with a small budget. Systems complexity, gameplay, sense of scale, encounters... In a completely unrelated game. These guys are extremely talented.

The worst games they have done in the last years, DS2 and DS3, are still very good games, and we all know this project has renewed enthusiasm for them, because of the different setting and fresh world design that is a challenge to implement.

The game is going to blow minds too all normal gamers, except for some unskilled grognards that spent 200 hours playing Pillars of Eternity and Divinity OS 2, and the rest of the time mutter in General RPG subforum "LOL,weaboo no RPG, I need mouse to parry, Dragon's Dogma bad combat, why is Resident Evil 2 on JRPG subforum?".

Don't be them. We post japanese non rpgs here, because they are retarded and we want as little contact with them as possible.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
If you don't trust FROM and Miyazaki to execute well an idea and make a good game with it, just quit gaming.

I spent a good amount of hours in December playing Armored Core 4 Answer, and it's amazing the magic they did in that game with a small budget. Systems complexity, gameplay, sense of scale, encounters... In a completely unrelated game. These guys are extremely talented.

The worst games they have done in the last years, DS2 and DS3, are still very good games, and we all know this project has renewed enthusiasm for them, because of the different setting and fresh world design that is a challenge to implement.

The game is going to blow minds too all normal gamers, except for some unskilled grognards that spent 200 hours playing Pillars of Eternity and Divinity OS 2, and the rest of the time mutter in General RPG subforum "LOL,weaboo no RPG, I need mouse to parry, Dragon's Dogma bad combat, why is Resident Evil 2 on JRPG subforum?".

Don't be them. We post japanese non rpgs here, because they are retarded and we want as little contact with them as possible.
Maybe you misurunderstood me.
I know FROM talent, so much that it is the only AAA shouse that i trust in making reliably good games. As you said their worst game ( DS3) is better than most modern games out there.
What i don't believe is that they could fill an huge open world map with richness of content that DS1 has.
Making open world game burn a lot of resources, even if you don't handcraft levels. It's just impossible to think of DS1 level of content ( smart enemies and loot placement, beautiful views, majestic level design) in skyrim sized map.
The game will certainly will be good, but don't set expectations too high

retinoid

Savant
DS despite being relatively small was unifinished, and the second half ( notably lost izalith and all 4 lords) is half assed because they ran out of money and time.
Assuming DS 1 costed 25 millions to make, and it was unfinished, how much more it would need to extend the same level of attention and variety to a much larger world?
I'm sure they will need to cut corners somewhere. Even sekiro wich was a much smaller project had to do
I'm not too worried about the game cutting corners as every game has to make compromises somewhere. The question is how well they can hide said compromises. I'm not personally expecting DS1 style level design spread across a map the size of a TES game, and anyone would be foolish to expect so, but given the time FromSoftware have given themselves to make Elden Ring coupled with their improvements in efficiency in designing areas I'm 100% confident we'll get a product that knows its limitations and will be designed intelligently to not collapse under its own weight.

Momock

Augur
Making open world game burn a lot of resources, even if you don't handcraft levels. It's just impossible to think of DS1 level of content ( smart enemies and loot placement, beautiful views, majestic level design) in skyrim sized map.
I always assumed that they know this and are making a reasonable open world in scale, big like SotC or Risen 1 for example. The level design can perfectly be as good as DS if they want, at least in the palaces/villages/etc. They just won't be interconnected lin a metroidesque fashion since they'll be separated by the map.

Of course I'm being optimistic, but I don't have a reason to not be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom