Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Perkel

Arcane
sound reasonable and more interesting that initial info.
but it is 4chan so probably fake af.

Either way game reveal should be pretty soon considering they want to release it by fall this year.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
>mount combat is just like you’d imagine; dark souls combat on horse back

TyeS.gif

polo

Magister
>I say mount because you start with a horse but secrets and unlockables will allow you to have wolf mounts, bear mounts, tiger mounts, and apparently there will be more unique original mount designs

:what:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

garren

Arcane
Patron
Why is everyone acting like 4chan's legit sauce?
Have they ever had legit sauce this far in development? They usually get spoilers a couple days before some game releases but I don't really remember them being right when the game is still in development, you see this stuff often but it ends up being bullshit with maybe some lucky guesses.

DMC5 was leaked before that...that DMC5 thread I started is from 2017. But I do remember that Fallout 76 was leaked like a year before release on there. Also that once it became very clear those leaks were real, and the leaker said the name of the game, that Jason Schreier just started repeating all of it like he had the inside scoop on it.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm trying to figure out how GRRM even ended up being associated with a From game. It just looks like a marketing ploy, and i'm shocked it's From and not, say, Kojima lmao.

It's fucking retarded. The Souls games do NOT have great writing, they are not even suited for any kind of heavy narrative what the fuck is GRRM going to do? Or does anybody actually believes From is going to make Skyrim with gud writing and gud combat? What kind of dream land do you live in?

It's gonna be another Souls game (which is fine, i like them) with characters that may finally stop sounding like they were written by somebody who quite clearly wasn't a native English speaker. That's pretty much the best case scenario.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm trying to figure out how GRRM even ended up being associated with a From game. It just looks like a marketing ploy, and i'm shocked it's From and not, say, Kojima lmao.

It's fucking retarded. The Souls games do NOT have great writing, they are not even suited for any kind of heavy narrative what the fuck is GRRM going to do? Or does anybody actually believes From is going to make Skyrim with gud writing and gud combat? What kind of dream land do you live in?

It's gonna be another Souls game (which is fine, i like them) with characters that may finally stop sounding like they were written by somebody who quite clearly wasn't a native English speaker. That's pretty much the best case scenario.
The official reason is that Miyazaki is a big fan of him, so his producers tried to put them in contact and it worked. However, I don't know what percentage of this is just plain bullshit.

Martin's role is still unclear (at least to my knowledge), so it's impossible to say how and how much he will influence the writing of this game.

Even if it's hard to judge Souls' writing, usually their themes, stories, characters and events are interesting (or, at least, are presented in an interesting way). The only problem I can think of is the constant presence in every single game of the "Old Forgotten Power" that always motivates the plot (Demons' Souls, Great Souls, the Dark Soul, the Old Blood, the Dragon's Blood). It still hasn't grown old on me, but maybe Martin can help the team in finding something different.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wanna say I read some specifics of that, Martin apparently wrote the outline of the lore and the world. As for marketing ploy, Martin doesn't need PR and I'd say FromSoft really doesn't either.

Cromwell

Arcane
Martin doesn't need PR and I'd say FromSoft really doesn't either.

its still a good boost if you can get the fanbase of martin to buy your game if they otherwise wouldn because they arent into games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Souls game with characters that may finally stop sounding like they were written by somebody who quite clearly wasn't a native English speaker.

How so?
The few dialogue there is never seemed off-putting or badly worded.

Yes, they are.

DS2 is actually worse than DS1 in that respect, but you can quite clearly tell the game was written in Japanese first and then awkwardly rendered in English. That's why sometimes it's hard to tell WTF a character is hinting at, not because the writing is obscure or subtle (it's actually the opposite of subtle, sometimes comically so, like the guy in the undead asylum in DS1 whose family "saying" happens to be exactly what you, the player, is supposed to be doing as soon as he drops dead, i mean, seriously), it's just awkwardly written.

Now of course in a game like this it doesn't really matter, but that begs the question of what the point is of bringing in someone like GRRM. Souls is like Diablo precisely in that writing is kept to a minimum in order for the "story" to get out of the way of the action and you gonna get a novelist for this? Why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom