Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can play most of steam game you own without internet connection. You just need to download everything and keep it on your hard drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Don't you have to put it into offline mode first, meaning that an unexpected outage leaves you totally fucked?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    No, it gives you the option to restart in offline mode once it fails to get a connection.

Edit: To be fair, there was a time when offline mode randomly decided it wanted games to update first before starting them, and thus became useless without a connection :D
    Fortunately, that's been long fixed. Haven't had any problems with offline mode in ages.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Far Cry New Dawn and Starlink: Battle for Atlas.
    (And Anno 1800 pre-order BS)

Not I am not saying you are wrong but they arent EA that supports Origin exclusivity on their titles because of their Sport titles, UbiSoft have nothing for their store to be sustainable on its own, they dont have either EA sport titles or Activision CoD to do it, even AssCreed aint enough.

^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, I got fucked by offline mode in the past but they made it a lot better. I loved in a rural area for 6 months or so once on an overseas job and kept Steam in offline mode for the whole time and never had a problem. Still against any DRM on principle, but Steam's is definitely the "best" of a bad lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. V_K Arcane

V_K
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Actual result from THQ Nordic: https://mb.cision.com/Main/15049/2822061/1049648.pdf

I don't think Goat Sim sells big at this point even on Switch (otherwise it should be noted there), I guesstimate Satisfactory has sold around 400K~700K copies on Epic.

edit: oops, one more zero.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    All those vague "it sold 45 times as much as that one game we were selling as a boxed version at a halal burger joint in Kazachstan 12 years ago and that never existed" statements sound amusingly :thisisfine:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Um, check your math. 98 mil sek is roughly 9 mil euro. Satisfactory costing 30 euro per copy, that's at most 300k copies (340k if the 98 mil sek figure is after the Epic took its cut), provided Goat Sim didn't sell anything. Even factoring in regional pricing (I have no idea if Epic does them now), 400k seems more like the upper border of what it could have sold.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. passerby Savant

passerby
    100% - 30% steam cut - 25% taxes - 5% UE license = 40%
    100% - 12% epic cut - 25% taxes = 63%
    40/63=0,63

They can sell 40% less copies than on Steam and still be no worse financially.
    Unsold copies are also still untapped customers, if Epic will stay, there will be more people coming over time, there are sales and even releasing on Steam eventually, so if they sell in the first months at least 50% of what they would sell on Steam it'll be fine long term.

• cuck cuck x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    What if they only sell ~1% of steam like they did with new Metro?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Wonder how much of those 98 million SEK Epic paid upfront, and if management's low expectations are why they took the deal in the first place.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Considering the image from the tweets, i gather that Satisfactory sales either aren't that great or not what they expected, i honestly thought it would have been better, particularly after the sale.
    I mean, i don't think we ever got actual numbers but they said the sales were good, then again, if it was a huge sucess, Epic would have plastered the numbers everywhere, i guess it was a bit too indie still at the end of the day, the real test will continue to be Borderlands 3 so far.

^ Top  
  14. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    • Funny x 19
    • /facepalm/ x 6
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Epic reported that Metro:Exodus sold roughly 2.5 times Metrol Last Light did on steam (at the same period).
    According to steamspy, Metro Last Light only sold ~20 000 copies on steam (in it's lifetime, so Epic's baseline should be probably lower). 2.5 times of that is 50 000. Last game in Metro franchise which was sold on steam sold ~ 5 000 000 copies. 50 000 is only 1% of 5 000 000.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    The human error in this case is that the data was sent to another player instead of the chinese government.

• Funny Funny x 19
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • :M :M x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I'm sure they quickly fixed it if so.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. passerby Savant

passerby
    Security error exposing 34k users is a non issue compared to a human error involving one user.

https://www.thelines.com/steam-info-leaked/

"In cases where an item was being purchased at the time of the mishap, users had access to the real name, full phone number, and full billing address of those purchasing."

• honk honk! honk honk! x 3
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Yep, Steam did have a much bigger mistake regarding this, and Epic did go ahead and warn the user involved, and that's all i have to say, it sucks, but it was one really big mistake for the guy who has to trust that someone actually did delete his information.

^ Top  
  20. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    Valve being shit doesn't make Epic not shit, m8lad.
    Also, I remember that issue around a Christmas, but I never got how exactly it worked. What were you supposed to do to see other people's data, buy the same thing as them at the same time or what?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. V_K Arcane

V_K
    As people on reddit have noted, Epic had a legal obligation to do so under GDPR or face a fine of up to 4% of their turnover.
    It's not like it's worse than that Steam leak, it's just extremely ironic that a user's request made under the data protection law results exactly in Epic failing to protect his data. And it's been a pattern with Epic fuck-ups ever since the store's launch - they're not just fuck-ups, but the kind of fuck-ups that lend themselves extremely well to schadenfreude.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. passerby Savant

passerby
    1) Current Steam Spy estimates run on gauging social media activity around games and concurrent players vs time from release to estimate number of owners, so it's obviously useless for original when there is a redux version.
    Do you actually believe it sold only 20k on Steam in over a year that passed till redux release ?
    2) Overwhelming majority of Metro Redux Steam sales were at 5$ price point, they have plenty of time to get there.
    3) Exodus sold 200k preorders on Steam that obviously couldn't contribute to initial sales on Epic.
    4) Exodus sold only 50% more than Last Light on consoles in initial weeks.

Given all the points above selling 2.5x more in initial weeks, should be actually positively surprising for a publisher.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Metro Last light was released way before steam implemented changed which forced steamspy to change how it estimates owners. So 20.000 copies sold is a very realistic number.

^ Top  
  24. passerby Savant

passerby
    Owners: 0 .. 20,000

Looks totally realistic for a high production values cinematic shooter with good reviews and like precise data achieved from gauging representative sample of users account, not like a result from the current algorithm.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Realistic number for a relative commercial failure which original Metro series was unlike Redux versions...

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)