Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Gods - upcoming Norse saga-inspired roguelite from Wormwood Studios

Brancaleone

Prophet
Given the curvature, I don't think so. If it were linear, I think that would work, although you'd lose some readability by zooming out, too.
Out of sheer personal curiosity: do you come from an academic background?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I guess it depends what you mean. I'm a practicing lawyer, and have been for over a decade, but I had lotsa schooling before that and I'm a nerd.

Brancaleone

Prophet
I guess it depends what you mean. I'm a practicing lawyer, and have been for over a decade, but I had lotsa schooling before that and I'm a nerd.
Just a thought, since it is a typical academic tendency to find it really hard to face hard editing that implies cutting content... :P

Never mind, for what I can see the premises for this game are awesome.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You get used to cutting as a lawyer because of tight word/page/time limits. I wasn't aware that the fear of "killing your darlings" was unique to academics, though. I thought most writers suffer from it.

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Prophet
You get used to cutting as a laser because of tight word/page/time limits. I wasn't aware that the fear of "killing your darlings" was unique to academics, though. I thought most writers suffer from it.
No, certainly not unique, but especially true for academics, which is why that thought popped into my mind while watching the dizziness-inducing trailer.

Archibald

Arcane
Only problem for me was the beginning, at first its not clear that narrator is basically describing what is shown on the runestone. Then after couple of sentences things click together and work fine for me.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Brancaleone Probably not worth pursuing this point further, but while I think academic writing is almost universally bad, I've never thought it was bad because it was too long -- even when dealing with an incredibly long work like, say, Moscow: 1937. Instead, I would say that the problems typically are excessive jargon, a lack of engagement with real-world concerns, a related presumption that people should care about academical equivalents of the homoiousia/homoousia debate, and paragraphs and sentences that are too long. But in the latter case, the problem is actually usually not one that would be solved by cutting but instead by splitting. I guess it is true that since 99.9% of academic writing should never be written, the fact that they are publishing at all shows a failure to use the backspace key sufficiently.... If I had to pick a class of writers especially guilty of writing too much it would be fantasy fiction authors.

Archibald Yeah, I think that's a good point, and one that would be addressed by the lighting up approach mentioned by agris and discussed among the team.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Brancaleone Probably not worth pursuing this point further, but while I think academic writing is almost universally bad, I've never thought it was bad because it was too long -- even when dealing with an incredibly long work like, say, Moscow: 1937. Instead, I would say that the problems typically are excessive jargon, a lack of engagement with real-world concerns, a related presumption that people should care about academical equivalents of the homoiousia/homoousia debate, and paragraphs and sentences that are too long. But in the latter case, the problem is actually usually not one that would be solved by cutting but instead by splitting. I guess it is true that since 99.9% of academic writing should never be written, the fact that they are publishing at all shows a failure to use the backspace key sufficiently.... If I had to pick a class of writers especially guilty of writing too much it would be fantasy fiction authors.

Archibald Yeah, I think that's a good point, and one that would be addressed by the lighting up approach mentioned by agris and discussed among the team.
Well, if you think a point is not worth pursuing, just don't pursue it, or use the backspace key. :D

The point was just about the fact that apparently most people find the video very hard to watch because of the rotation effect (I personally wanted to get another close look to the carvings, and I resisted no more than 6-7 seconds before having to turn it off), but for some reason there is nothing that can be done in terms of cutting/shrinking/zooming out. Anyway, I saw it once already, so it's going to be the new viewers' problem now.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rather than saying that academics are opposed to zooming out and hence I must be an academic, it's probably easier (and more accurate) just to conclude that I'm arrogant and lazy.

Mustawd

It's not a bad idea. It just needs tweaking which is probably not worth the effort or resources.

AKA game development. News at 11.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Safe in Skyhold's golden hall,
and heedless of the wounded world below,
they turned to feast and feud and folly
and lost the love of those they'd left to woe.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks! It's a very different game, and likely will be worse than Primordia -- everyone gets lucky once in a while, and Primordia may also have played more toward my strengths. Still, I think FG will be interesting when (if?) it gets finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom