Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Genres That You Don't "Get"

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Voltigeur, May 21, 2019.

1. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Unlike you I'm not 13, so the origin of dota is not a revelation to me. Baldur's Gate was born from an RTS game engine called Battleground Infinity and was simply repurposed to control just 6 units, and then went on to become the staple of isometric RPGs, which is a downgraded version of RTS games if you're a retard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Who Cares Educated

Who Cares
    I dont hate any genre per se, but the term "MOBA" is Riot's trick to get people to stop calling their game "dotalike" and it's absolutely retarded that this shit stuck. I hate it.

^ Top  
  3. Syme Learned

Syme
    Battle Royale. I mean kinda get the craze behind Fortnite, they innovated enough to make something of their own, but how any of the other Battle Royale took off is simply beyond me. Last Man Standing was like the least played major game mode of old-school Arena Shooters, and then BR games took that and made everything about it worse. The maps are huge piles of random outskirts shit, everyone is a camping faggot, matches take forever, and half of that forever is spent inventory shuffling.

^ Top  
  4. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I like dota every now and then mostly because it's fun to troll teammates
    I like the possibilities within MMOs but I hate every mmo currently besides maybe eve
    BR games suck

This. Fighting games make souls and souls likes obsolete, assassin's creed is just straight up bad.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Wapanese games.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Catacombs Scholar Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Too many kids playing Fortnite, can't stand dealing with shitty 14-year-olds.

Also, I hated playing with my friends. I insisted playing on PC while they play on Switches because I'm better with a M&KB. I eventually had to hop on my Switch because I "brought all the good PC players and they're killing us." Haven't touched the game since.

^ Top  
  7. Dodo1610 Savant

Dodo1610
    I enjoy almost every game genre except Beat 'em Ups. I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to remember all those combos.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Swigen Scholar

Swigen
    Those shitty motion controlled shooters that replaced “light gun” games after CRT televisions were phased out. I’m lookin’ at you House of the Dead Wii edition. Jesus FUCK, do those ever suck some serious dick! Been what, 15 years and the best light gun replacement we can come up with is VR? :argh:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Felix Arcane

Felix
    We need an anime rating.

• No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    The appeal is community, for most people, and an MMO usually will live or die on how effectively it can grab a player base at launch and hold onto it. A small initial loss of player base can quickly turn into a dead and failed MMO.

^ Top  
  11. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    He said "game genres".

^ Top  
  12. Safav Hamon Self-Ejected Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    You're thinking of the old codex.

On the nu-codex, turn based "is an attention hog" and RTwP "is more visceral and provides a better feeling of confrontation."

• Despair Despair x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Everything - except TB or RTwP RPG's and TB strategy games.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Most Open World games seem to substitute quantity for quality and have crappy gameplay to boot. For example, for all the praise Red Dead 2 seems to get the basic gameplay is mind-numbingly ordinary to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Sports -- more fun IRL with frenz and trash talking.
    Diablo-style ARPGs -- 100% clickfest, 0% brain usage.
    MMOs -- most of them grow boring very quick, the only one that managed to grab my interest is dead and gone.
    Grandpa Shooters (read: popamole shooters) -- not interested in 'crouch behind cover, pop out to whack a few moles, rinse and repeat: the game'.
    Visual Novels -- 'nuff said, although there are a few exceptions that work due to the addition of minor adventure/RPG elements.

^ Top  
  16. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Those Japanese rape/harem games.

Good for "this exists" laugh, then you realize they're real as in not just one or two games, then you realize how many are around.

I think they're the definition of "don't get".

^ Top  
  17. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    what's a moba?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Walkin' simulators

^ Top  
  19. Sjukob Magister

Sjukob
    Hey mate, 95% of beat'em'ups don't feature combos that are more advanced than "deliver a few hits and move in for a grab/use special move" the hardest thing about beat'em'ups is positioning, which if done badly results in player's death.
    I guess you might be confusing them with fighting games that feature long and hard to do combos.

Visual novel seems to be popular in this topic, but I think it's the best way for somebody to present their writing and art without raping the player with horrible gameplay.

And as for me:
    RTS - Personally, I think that this a bad design idea, it's too much for one player to control everything on the field in real time: armies, buildings, workers etc. I've never understood how are you supposed to play them.
    Platformers - I just don't like them and can't explain why. They shouldn't be a pure genre or provided in large doses, platformimg is ok for 5-10 minutes to spice up the main gameplay, but that's about it.
    MMOs - gameplay ideas suffer from having to keep players paying, hence why there is grind, cosmetics instead of gameplay and content updates, pay to win or pay to skip the grind in f2p mmos and other similar stuff.
    There are also various simulators of jobs, vehicles and what else, that I've never tried and don't want to do it.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Oh... it's multiplayer online battle arena.
    What a weird way to call UMS maps

^ Top  
  21. Monk Arcane

Monk
    RT with pause may make sense for war games rather than turn-based.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Gambling games. What makes these "games" even interesting, given that you have no real control over the outcome and nothing you do thus matters?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Most open world games that aren't RPGs focus way too much on busy-work, in my experience. They want to fill that world up with content but don't have the story, quest or loot systems of an RPG, so they just pack the world with tons of mundane tasks. I'm a big fan of open world RPGs, but mostly not a fan of open world action games, for this reason.

^ Top  
  24. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    RTS game for people who cannot handle more than a single unit.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    :lol:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)