Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    About the aesthetics: this particular Wizardry stood out to me very positively in aesthetics (graphics, UI, effects, music) compared to most other jBlobbers. And I'm very picky about games. Also there's not too much nudity and anime style overall to be annoyed. I simply cannot understand why they rejected it.

My recent assumption for the rejection is that: maybe these guys at GOG just don't like blobbers?

:bunkertime:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Get woke, go broke!

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Removal Educated

Removal
    to play devil's advocate, their recent poor financial reports may have made them go full "only accept games that will for sure sell"
    dumb as hell though, especially since they already have other waifu crawlers in store and seem to regularly put up games that I doubt sell that great

^ Top  
  4. Diablo1_reborn Scholar

Diablo1_reborn
    GOG rejecting a game from the "Wizardry" series...

what?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. catfood AGAIN

catfood

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Half the games released on GOG over the last few years is hipster trash that don't sell more than a dozen copies.

A couple of recently released quality titles that will no doubt sell a lot of copies. Looking at GOG is the first time I hear of any of this trash. The awful Steam must've hidden it from me.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_world_next_door?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8
    https://www.gog.com/game/swag_and_sorcery?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8
    https://www.gog.com/game/irony_curt...e?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Maybe they were scared of anime titties, but Mary Skelter is here with no censorship.

????

Maybe they know (some people of) the Codex likes it and therefore it is not PC enough?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Fronzel Neekburm Cipher Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    To put this particular release into a little more context: Swag and Sorcery comes from a publisher (tinyBuild) who is somewhat infamous among the gog community for NEVER updating their gog builds. One of their games, Punch Club (incidentally made by the same dev as Swag and Sorcery: Lazy Bear Games), released on gog a year late, is missing features, rarely (if ever?) got any updates and to top it all of, the dev released some cool sales statistics that basically said that no one bought the game on gog and that the gog release did nothing other than facilitate piracy.

That and Lazy Bear Games flat-out lied about an imminent gog release a week before it was scheduled.

Needless to say, gog users were dismayed that gog would still allow them on their platform.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    "darts"

GOG's curation policy (open)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    I just wanna say, the gog forum has become weak it has driven me to the holy land. I think I'll feel more at home here. Barbs, cuts, and drinking initiations welcome.

• Friendly x 5
    • decline x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Lol fuck off.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    See, you'd never get that kind of hospitality over there. I'm in good company.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Irony Courtain seems to be a decent point and click adventure, not some hipster trash TBH.

^ Top  
  14. A_boring_GOG_bot Scholar

A_boring_GOG_bot
    I'm browsing the weekend deal page .

How good games are these ?

Hacknet
    Orwell 1 & 2
    Ruiner
    Satelite Reign

• meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    A cyberpunk twin stick shooter of sorts, bit of hotline miami in there as well.

I found some things awkward with kb+m, but barely remember what exactly the issues were. There definitely were some though, control-wise.

You don't retain weapons once they're empty either except for the basic one and you sword. That sort of thing.
    It wasn't that great in terms of mechanics in general.

Nice art and mood, but otherwise not quite up to snuff.
    Buy if it's cheap if you like the genre in general, otherwise not worth it imo.

I played it on release, so I don't know whether it has been improved since. Check the update news first. If they fixed some stuff, maybe it's worth checking out now.

It's supposed to be something of a Syndicate/Syndicate Wars successor.
    Ended up being more like a semi open-world cyberpunk Commandos-lite game.
    It sadly has a cover system where you have to stick just behind cover (ugh) instead of at least a normal system where shots simply take obstructions anywhere near/in their path into account (JA2).
    It's not much of a sim though, You just take reduced damage (dps) when in cover and more out of it etc. A lot of weapons are underwhelming.

Can be hard on your system compared to what's really on screen (lots of color and neon light smudgy stuff and rain and whatnot, but not much else). I don't think they ever fixed that.
    It got a big update at some point to help with some of the annoying stuff... Has a mode where damage is much increased so you don't feel like you're playing a fucking MMO anymore.

Mission areas are mostly fenced/walled compounds on the map, where you have to enter somehow (rope in, hack door, whatever). Then the rest is a Commandos-like puzzle if you want to go stealth.
    If not, you may face endlessly spawning enemies (yay).

There's a lot of cheaply made systems like the research, but I can't be bothered to get into all of it.

Another game to get during a steep sale if you're really bored. But like ruiner it looks cooler than it is.

Hope that helps...

Edit: Removed a line. Misremembered something.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    GOG's turned into a bit of a mess, huh.
    I wonder where they're going to go from here. I don't think they have the kind of whole separate internet infrastructure of their own like steam, so going big with huge releases and lots of them doesn't seem like it'd be feasible... And big publishers don't want to sell their games without DRM, normally.

^ Top  
  17. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    Echoing what I said over in the Grimoire thread, I think some publisher deals fell through. Between 2012-2017 gog picked up EA, Disney, 2K, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Paradox AND Bethesda. We saw a huge stream of classic releases from those studios. Then starting last year, the releases fell off to a trickle. Really the only of those studios that have stuck with gog is 2K. They've handed gog Bioshock, Mafia, and others. We were all waiting for the flood of older games, especially the giant tomb of locked IPs from EA. And... we're still waiting.

I'm not Polish enough to understand how they work BTS, but the forum moderation, site redesign, change in region pricing, and lack of classic title releases all seemed to coincide closely with one another. It could be a coincidence, but usually when you smell smoke, there's fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. A_boring_GOG_bot Scholar

A_boring_GOG_bot

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Let everything on your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Try to curate your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Embrace nihilism, you're fucked either way. Nothing matters.

• Balanced x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    Welcome, you'll find no friendlier place anywhere else. We don't even need to ban people, they usually want to go on their own

And most of them come back under another name. Addiction is a terrible thing

• Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Is Dead in Vinland any good?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. rashiakas Savant

rashiakas
    no

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I own both already so don't care, but why is Risen 2 more than Risen 3? Weird.

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist x 6
    • Thanks! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)