Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'd knock points out of Solael's Witchfire and cap out Vulnerability. It's a greater increase in your DPS than Solael is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'd knock points out of Solael's Witchfire and cap out Vulnerability. It's a greater increase in your DPS than Solael is.
Because of Defensive ability debuff? Because Witchfire gives a better %vitality damage boost per point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Because of Defensive ability debuff? Because Witchfire gives a better %vitality damage boost per point.

Actually, no, Solael does provide a bit more damage now. I didn't realize that they nerfed the amount of resi that Vulnerability debuffs. They used to go up to -50% whereas now they go up to -36% at 10/10 points.

Here is the note from the b31 patch notes:

Vulnerability resistance reduction decreased, DA reduction increased

I did some calculations for you to show how the damage and debuffing works.
The first simulation is with your build. The second simulation uses a build that removed 5 points from Solael and allocated them into Vulnerability. The last simulation has both Solael and Vulnerability capped out.

100 Vitality damage spell + Solael 85% + Gear 50% = 235 vitality damage

-25% debuff
Enemy has 50% vitality resists
with debuff enemy has 25% vitality resist
He takes 176,25 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
with debuff enemy has -25%
Does 293,75 damage

------------------------------

100 Vitality damage spell + Solael 50% + Gear 50% = 200 vitality damage

-36% debuff
Enemy has 50% vitality resist
with debuff enemy has 14% vitality resist
He takes 172 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
with debuff enemy has -36%
does 272 damage

-36% debuff
He takes 202 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
He takes 319,6 damage

+damage% always adds to the base damage of an ability, resist reduces a % of the whole damage. This is why Curse of Frailty + Vulnerability are so strong. +10% damage is not the same as -10% resistance. It is also possible to reduce an enemy's resistances to negative numbers. With this in mind, build your character however you want.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
That math is solid but you didn't take into account DA debuff, although with just 5 point difference in skill changes to enemy DA is not much.
Another things that counts a bit is that Soleils Witchfire is always on and always gives its bonus while Debuff needs to be applied and reapplied so it will not be used 100% of time.

Still I am thinking about it. Debuff is more important for enemies with Vitality resistance close to 100% or over 100% although the Shaman spell debuffs that by 66% as well.

Renevent

Cipher
Man I'm fucking addicted. I already put in 150 hours or so during the EA but the final months of development have really put that extra something into the game. The updated areas look fantastic and I really like the devotion system as an additional layer on top of the dual mastery skill trees. I rolled a new character for the first time in a long time over the weekend (soldier/demo) and got to Epic yesterday.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Actually, no, Solael does provide a bit more damage now. I didn't realize that they nerfed the amount of resi that Vulnerability debuffs. They used to go up to -50% whereas now they go up to -36% at 10/10 points.

Here is the note from the b31 patch notes:

Vulnerability resistance reduction decreased, DA reduction increased

I did some calculations for you to show how the damage and debuffing works.
The first simulation is with your build. The second simulation uses a build that removed 5 points from Solael and allocated them into Vulnerability. The last simulation has both Solael and Vulnerability capped out.

-25% debuff
Enemy has 50% vitality resists
with debuff enemy has 25% vitality resist
He takes 176,25 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
with debuff enemy has -25%
Does 293,75 damage

100 Vitality damage spell + Solael 50% + Gear 50% = 200 vitality damage

-36% debuff
He takes 172 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
does 272 damage

-36% debuff
He takes 202 damage
Enemy has 0% vit resi
He takes 319,6 damage

+damage% always adds to the base damage of an ability, resist reduces a % of the whole damage. This is why Curse of Frailty + Vulnerability are so strong. +10% damage is not the same as -10% resistance. It is also possible to reduce an enemy's resistances to negative numbers. With this in mind, build your character however you want.
Maybe this: http://grimcalc.com/build/7CU1h9
Reduced healing skills to max out the damage boosts and enemy resistance debuffs :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That math is solid but you didn't take into account DA debuff, although with just 5 point difference in skill changes to enemy DA is not much.
Another things that counts a bit is that Soleils Witchfire is always on and always gives its bonus while Debuff needs to be applied and reapplied so it will not be used 100% of time.

Still I am thinking about it. Debuff is more important for enemies with Vitality resistance close to 100% or over 100% although the Shaman spell debuffs that by 66% as well.

The DA debuff doesn't increase your damage directly. It increases your hit/crit chance. There's not much reason not to have Curse of Frailty on all the time. Maybe in Normal/Vet it's a non-issue since enemies explode from one hit anyway, but in Ultimate the difference of applying Curse of Frailty or not could mean that a normal trash mob dies from 3 (without) or 2 (with) hits. The benefit becomes greatly magnified vs named enemies.

Maybe this: http://grimcalc.com/build/7CU1h9
Reduced healing skills to max out the damage boosts and enemy resistance debuffs :D

Looks sound. I doubt you'll be hurting for the healing effect on Blood of Dreeg since you already have Sigil of Consumption, Devouring Swarm and Wendigo Totem healing you. You might want to consider investing one point into Doom Bolt. 1 point is enough to keep it good and useful, especially for sniping annoying mobs like the beholders or the cronley goons who buff the mobs around them. I would never invest more than 1 point into Doom Bolt, though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
1 point is enough? I had doom bolt in my previous builds and even when maxed it didn't one shot many of those you want to die fast (heroes).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's because the HP% reduction on Doom Bolt (and Nightblade's Execution and Soldier's War Cry) doesn't work against bosses, but with a 1 point investment it does plenty enough damage against trash mobs, and it's still not too shabby vs bosses either. Just don't waste more than 1 point on it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I will try without it first (didn't plan it in my build because half of its damage and effect is Chaos and I wanted to be as pure Vitality as I can since I already did Vitality/Chaos build before Shaman was released) and if I have problems with bosses or heroes I can always put one point into it :)

made

Arcane
Does Soldier + Shaman work well together at higher levels? I started out as a S&B soldier but now I've found a nice epic 2H so I'm thinking to specialize in that. Shaman seems to have some decent 2H dps talents + some defensive options and health leech (leech was pretty OP in POE at some point, dunno about GD).

Nightblade and DW seems to be another, high dps option but I have another char for that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there one of those dudes that can take gems out of a weapon in the first town? I may have missed him, or I have to wait till later.

I already added some fire gem to one of my weapons, and of course I now found a better weapon... :M

da_rays

Augur
Does Soldier + Shaman work well together at higher levels? I started out as a S&B soldier but now I've found a nice epic 2H so I'm thinking to specialize in that. Shaman seems to have some decent 2H dps talents + some defensive options and health leech (leech was pretty OP in POE at some point, dunno about GD).

Nightblade and DW seems to be another, high dps option but I have another char for that.

Im currently playing with a pure shaman , and yeah , if you find a decent 2h melee weapon , you can pretty much have a strong DPS lighting machine , I havent multi classed him yet , but a few soldier passive seem very interesting. I havent touched health leech yet, Since i went full hp regen/lighting dmg on gear with a touch of lightning retaliation. Currently lvl 51 with him , with an epic 2H sword with +30% atatack speed , that coupled with the Octopus devotion ( +16% attack speed with 2h weapon ) its freakishly destroying everything. The more if you specialized lighting style all around i guess. It's my first melee dude tho , so i cant compare THAT much , but i think im on par with my friend Soldier/nightblade

da_rays

Augur
Is there one of those dudes that can take gems out of a weapon in the first town? I may have missed him, or I have to wait till later.

I already added some fire gem to one of my weapons, and of course I now found a better weapon... :M

Yup , need to finish the quest from the guy ( inventor ) just to the right of the Devil's crossing riftgate. You just need to find her apprentice , than you can either keep the add on or item ( for a fee )

EDIT: Meh, got Ninj'd

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Warder is actually the character I'm playing right now. I crush shit pretty hard, so, yeah, easily doable.

E2r5yzb.jpg

Yes, there is. You'll have to find the NPC via a rescue quest in Act 1.

Thank you sir! :salute:

No probalo.

da_rays

Augur
Is there a wiki etc.. that lists some builds? Just kind of curious at looking at some different builds.

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/ Not too much builds on this one , can give you idea tho , and the 1 shot chest section might be nicec to read , unless you dont want to spoil yourself.

http://grimcalc.com for builld making

or www.grimdawn.com via the forum, load of info , but like the internet , need to filtter the crap to find some nice things.

I'd say this thread for some builds info or what not . Seem we have a few experience players here

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Warder is actually the character I'm playing right now. I crush shit pretty hard, so, yeah, easily doable.

E2r5yzb.jpg

No probalo.
Nigga, why you be stealing muh build ?

I still have more life!

made

Arcane

E2r5yzb.jpg

No probalo.
Nigga, why you be stealing muh build ?

I still have more life!
OMG nice deeps m8s. xdddd

Guess I'll pump soldier for now and respec later when I have more points to spare. My dude's only lvl 30.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom