Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tormund, Nov 12, 2015.

1. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    I usually get dizzy and nauseous when the FOV is too small.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    This. Try increasing the FOV to 105, as that is the setting many players find acceptable. Fiddle with it if that doesn't work.

^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    You failed reading at school, boy?

I said that I had played all the Build engine games when they were new, which was 20+ years ago, but since then I have replayed Duke3D and Shadow Warrior as short as a couple of years ago... but not Blood. I haven't played that in 20 years. Yet I remember the levels, the jokes and the enemy names from Blood and Duke 3D... but from Shadow Warrior I only remember some of the jokes, the Nuke and annoyance. Especially annoyance.

And so do you it turns out, even though you're vehemently defending the game here. You're just butthurt because Latin-babbling cultists have a more active social life than you do.

• Old Old x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mikeal Liturgist

Mikeal
    Fucking bees.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Latin and Sanskrit babbling! :lol:
    Infuscomus Lokemundus!

EDIT:
    I finished it probably ten years ago, but it describes my memories too. Some of the jokes, Nuke, some sort of ninja enemy that throws shurickens and could be killed with katana, chained to wall Lara Croft and shitting anime girl.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    I've been playing "Blood" on the hardest difficulty because it's the only Build Engine game I never played in the 90s (beyond the first few levels on shareware). It's bloody hard. In some cases it's impossible to not get hit by the cultists. You can't dodge, you can't bait, you can't do shit other than maybe try to throw dynamite around the corner at the cultists. It's incredibly cheap, to the point that you end up save scumming until you get the 1 in 10 random fluke event where you can successfully bait a group of 10 cultists to come around the corner when you have 5 health without getting insta-hit. This kind of kills the game's fun, although, I do think that they so load the game with power ups in its secret areas, that if you make a point of finding them all, the difficulty lessens greatly.

Apart from the shit AI, though, the game itself is pretty good. I do find the "sameness" of the art design to be kind of tedious, but the levels themselves really stretch Build to the limit: a moving train, rivers that flow, the pulsating living walls level, and I'm only part way through.

That said, I very much prefer both Duke Nukem 3D and Ion Fury to Blood. Ion Fury is just more fun based on pure combat, and Duke Nukem was way more inventive, varied in gameplay, and had more variety in its level design.

• Disagree x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Do yourself a favor and console command the difficulty down one level. Even then the cultists are annoying and 3x worse than Doom commandos but it's more reasonable.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Extra Crispy (the hardest difficulty) was specifically designed for cooperative play, so it's better to dial down to Well Done or even Lightly Broiled.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    1st used map! For what's worth...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. gerey Arcane Zionist Agent

gerey
    The more I play Ion Maiden/Fury the more I dislike it.

Maybe it's me just getting on with years, but I find it very difficult to tell the enemies apart from the environment at mid to long range, and even harder to figure out from which direction I'm being shot at. Then again, I recently replayed Doom 1&2, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood and had no problems with telling enemies apart or locating them, even at range.

Another thing I find annoying is how useless most other weapons feel compared to the starting pistol and its alt-fire. Since the maps feature a lot of huge, open areas, and that the enemies are mostly hitscanning or fire very fast projectiles, you're forced to constantly look for cover, and when you do pop out you only have a small window of opportunity to kill the enemies before they take a big chunk of your health, thus making the pistol alt-fire the most optimal tool to deal with nearly every situation. Other than slowly down a little there's no real drawback to using it.

Again, comparing it to older games Ion Maiden is trying to emulate, where enemy design, placement and weapon selection encourages players to switch weapons all the time depending on the situation in Ion Maiden the weapons feel, sound and look chunky, but there's really no reason to use them when you have a one-hit-kill alt-fire for a weapon whose ammunition is plentiful and easy to get a hold of.

^ Top  
  11. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Or even better, use the custom difficulty and increase enemy count to highest while leaving rest on medium, maybe even put cultist hitscan accuracy to "low", if playing first time. It will still be far from easy, but a lot less annoying. Going with Extra Crispy for first run is quite ambitious. Even Well Done is a major pain in the ass. And Lightly Broiled is still way harder than Doom 1/2 on Ultra Violence.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You stumble upon a vat with a munster in the making, Shelly remarks:

"This is the worst I've seen yet... This man has no dick!"

(and indeed he doesn't!)

:lol:

someone better call retardera

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Razor Scholar

Razor

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Icarus Lives review:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Can confirm some of this.

Played this briefly at a friend's place and (as someone who replayed half a dozen FPS recently) I'm not hugely impressed.

• First of all, there are too many colors. Everything is blinking, flashing, flickering
    • Enemies and powerups blend in with the environment
    • The art direction is all over the place
    • Level design is okay and in the vein of Blood or Duke
    • Most weapons feel feeble
    • Secrets are really good
    • Music is cool, very Carpenter-ish

And yeah, pistol's alt fire should be a powerup, not a weapon.

Overall it's a mixed bag which in addition to the developer being spineless makes this an easy pass.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    My autism doesn't allow me to decrease difficulty halfway through a game, sorry.

• (autism) x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Your autism doesn't allow you to be right either, but that hasn't stopped you from trying.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • nice nice x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gromlintroid Novice

Gromlintroid
    Finished this today, great FPS that everyone should play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is honest advice, Blood really isn't fun for a first-timer on the hardest difficulty - unless they like very harsh trial and error. The sweet spot is the second or third hardest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Razor Scholar

Razor
    There is a weapon function I discovered only at the mid point of the game. With the crossbow if you hold down alt fire and keep holding it, eventually it will offload something like 15 bolts in quick succession. It's way overkill for regular enemies but it absolutely shreds bosses if you get near them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I don't see any reason to use official difficulty presets when custom option is available. Why would you ever not want highest possible enemy count? Highest cultist accuracy and aggression, however, can go fuck itself. But nope, gotta soldier on and then write shit like "I much prefer Ion Fury to Blood".

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. toro Arcane

toro
    that's the most funny thing from the entire game

retardera did not reach that point in the game yet

iron fury studio will bend the knees regardless

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ShadowSpectre Learned

ShadowSpectre
    After playing Ion Fury some more, I can say that the game is better as time goes on. No two levels feel the same and the level design improves as well. The Grand Slam secret level is also quite entertaining and you just have to enjoy that music. My only real issue is (despite experiencing no slow-down earlier) is that the Build engine takes a dump on itself during heavy AI and particle sequences (generally, boss fights).

What I don't like is that the company caved into those idiots over at ResetEra though, as is just about everyone else who will actually play this game. After donating our money to a group that are a bunch of political terrorists, I can't say I'll be buying another game from these guys until they get their balls back. Too bad, since Ion Fury is actually a good game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Secret level is worth getting for its theme alone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Even on Well Done I'm still RAPED by the cultist :negative: Duke's level 3 is much more manageable.

Can we just agree that Blood is harder than other old-school FPS?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)