Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Prime Junta

I've gotten mildly obsessed with VTOL aircraft.

There is a mission: Duna. Thing with Duna is, the air is so thin that rocket planes are extremely efficient: you can cruise through the place with nary a puff of the engine. The fun starts when it's time to land. The thin air and low gravity mean that planes just want to keep going in a straight line, until they intersect one of the dunes that gave the place its name. (Yeah, the place is bumpy -- nice flat areas for airfields are few and far between.)

Therefore, VTOL. With hover rockets and RCS, I should be able to make controlled landings just about anywhere. So I want to build the Aelita Kosmodrome -- a self-sufficient fuel-producing base where I keep my birds, complete with tractor just like on Laythe.

Thing is, VTOL aircraft turned out to be (1) rather challenging, but in a good way, and (2) insane fun, so I got kind of caught up just making and flying them and cackling manically. I've got my Aelita Kosmodrome launches all done and craft waiting in orbit for the launch window which is pretty soon now, but I spent way too much time on frivolities... like the BAK Karmilla (inspired by the de Havilland Vampire). It's just such a bundle of fun to toss around, or land on top of the VAB if you feel like it.

VtCQI5L.png

Msbe2wq.png

1SPuCFt.png

O0asdna.png

(My VTOL craft are available here if you're curious: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/31350 )

Prime Junta

I'm building another Kosmodrome on Duna. It runs on VTOLs. They just arrived in orbit.

2RC44tN.png

I also redesigned the Karmilla to look prettier, and built her a little sister -- a slightly more faithful tribute to the de Havilland Vampire. They're insanely fun to fly, I wasted hours just hooning them around the KSC. I particularly like the tiny little one. It's low on power but handles really well, which makes it feel like a real plane instead of the ridiculously overpowered planes KSP usually gravitates to.

jQxygKz.jpg

pic67AX.png

zq4S4Gf.jpg

Prime Junta

Kosmodrome Aelita is in business.

21dOvPI.png

First, the ISRU:
yhOctmj.png

Then the fuel trailer and a tractor to pull it around and supply supplementary electrical power. Turns out the tractor can also pull the cargo plane around which is very nice as the cargo plane has no steerable landing gear and my Duna aviation skills are still a bit sketchy, which means I sometimes have to land a few klicks away from the site:

YizHpUA.png

eo6QUNG.png

Finally, an engineer from the space station to run the operation more efficiently:
Ddflwhe.png

cJZnI9B.png

One module to go: the habitation/command module, with a dune buggy and some landing area markers. These are non-critical components though -- what I have there now is fully functional.

Prime Junta

So I flew up to fetch the last module...

JVV5Rvy.png

...which officially completes Kosmodrome Aelita.

NzTq9oZ.png

tkpdo5o.png

Also flew up a bunch of fuel from Kosmodrome Laythe with the new Pelican 2, delivered it and Senior Engineer Bill Kerman to Jool Station orbiting Vall, where Bill fixed a busted wheel on the ISRU unit that had just been flown there, and then took it down to Vall surface to start fuel refining operations there.

iu2aBPk.png

moLHkyW.png

La76FqQ.png

Once Jool Station is fully fuelled, she -- with the ISRU and tanker, natch -- shall head off to Eeloo. That's the plan anyway. Truth be told this career is starting to pall a little; while I haven't done quite everything, what's left feels more like ticking the boxes rather than meeting genuine challenges. I'm thinking of starting another one... but with some differences:
  • Hardcore mode. No revert, no quickload.
  • Hard physics, except uncheck "Resource transfer obeys crossfeed rules" because it's opaque and un-fun.
  • Science 60%, funds 100% (maybe even 150%) as I don't like grinding.
  • MPLs only used to level up kerbals and reset experiments, never to grind out science.
However, to mitigate the hardcore as I don't think I'd get very far on true hardcore mode:
  • Craft are developed in a simulated reality just next door (=sandbox with quickload and revert), with completed blueprints transferred to the VAB and SPH (=copied over when ready). The simulation may not perform any interplanetary missions however: Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus only.
  • KAS/KIS installed, which lets me recover from minor mishaps.
  • KER, AA, and Alarm Clock installed as usual.
We'll see how it goes, if I get to that point.

Prime Junta

Valentina and Leia Kerman have returned home from Kosmodrome Laythe (via a refuelling stop at Duna, fuel supplied by Kosmodrome Aelita), which marks the end of this long-running and extremely fun career.

szeKbNM.png

VhtA2O7.png

afvtBVv.png

I started that hardcore career. Settings as described above, except that I decided to relax the "simulation" restriction a bit: simulating anywhere I've already been in career mode is permissible. I.e. the first flyby, orbit, and landing will have to be in career mode (probes are allowed), from there on out, I can do the same in the sandbox simulator e.g. to develop better landers or what have you.

Gotta say, no-revert/no-quickload makes it a lot more intense. Even routine re-entries are tense. I'm relying on probes a lot more, and sent up constellations of comsats as soon as I had the tech to do so.

So far, worst mishap on a kerbaled mission was stupidly installing a solar panel on top of a hatch which meant that I wasn't able to reset experiments as I had planned and had to turn a Minmus low/high mission into a Mun flyby. One probe mission was a total loss when during re-entry preparations I retracted the antenna before arming the parachutes: I lost contact with my comsat and could just watch helplessly as the probe did a perfect aerodynamic re-entry and then hit the ground at 100 m/s.

The second attempt almost failed -- I had neglected to check if my return module floats. It didn't, and I ended up unintentionally breaking a few depth records. Turned out the anchor was my heat shield, and when that was destroyed by pressure, the rest of it floated back to the surface and I recovered it. Had I known, I would have just jettisoned the heat shield; I was very close to the KSC that time and had radio contact.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
several sim-threads are now general gaming, subnautica and modern flight sims for example.

Prime Junta

I've got my hardcore career to the point I can start thinking about reusability. When I got the Skipper and Rockomax tanks, I was able to make a 97% recoverable lifter. It goes up like a rocket, re-enters and glides back like a plane. It has no landing gear, so it has to ditch, which means no recoveries from the runway. It lifts about 10 tons or so -- enough for a crewed Munar mission or a multi-satellite launch, which is what I need at this point in the career. It's easy to fly in all phases of the flight and surprisingly efficient considering the extra aero surfaces: I got to orbit with the usual 3400 m/s even with a payload that also had more than the usual number of pointy bits. The payload went to the Mun. The lander remains in orbit there; in theory it can be refueled for reuse. Since I have KAS/KIS, maybe instead of replacing it with a better one I'll send up an engineer to weld on some new science bits when I get them.

The return module looks and flies like a missile: it's capable of re-entry straight from a Munar transfer orbit, but on the real mission I had enough fuel to get down to 250 km for that, so it was a relatively low-stress affair. Relatively. It's still bloody stressful when no stupid oopsies are allowed. Since it doesn't like to fly slow and I don't want to risk crewed horizontal landings until I have a zero-altitude escape mechanism, Mission Control decided to slap on a few parachutes instead.

That mission went entirely according to plan, which has got to be a bit of a first.

D8GpV8y.png

mQYYZgw.png

Ms6MJFN.png

RkPDF9d.png

Prime Junta

So 1.4 just dropped.

It looks pretty good. Some performance improvements, the new Rockomax tanks mean that craft like the one above look less like ass, particle effects are nicer, a bunch of QoL improvements like the ability to switch instantly between the VAB and the SPH, that sort of thing. Also the core mods I rely on did not appear to break so I'm able to continue my career no problemo, just removed the visual enhancements until Galileo updates them.

I'm also buying the Making History DLC when it drops next week, mostly out of curiosity and also because I can.

Didn't do much with the updated version yet. Just a set of three lander probes to Minmus for science. Two of them made it back. One fell over and crashed when I was trying to heave it upright (tall, because it had Science Jr, and no reaction wheels, just the wimpy ones on the probe core). I'm experimenting with alternatives to heat shields and have come up with a bunch of designs that survive being dropped into the atmosphere from Minmus orbit. Unlocked a new science gizmo so I'm probably gonna drop the Science Jr send a bunch of even smaller ones to the Mun next -- I've got a much improved craft; only problem with it is I can't easily stack them, so I'll need to figure out what to do about that.

First though I have to grind some money missions as I just upgraded my tracking station to level 3 and am almost broke again: there's a lucrative triple rescue from Minmus waiting which ought to do it. I'm going to adapt the EKPO-Artemis Mun launch for that by adding a crew compartment to the shuttle, and try to fit a light lander there too. I think it's possible, I had about 200 m/s margin on the EKPO for the Mun launch, and I can make do with a lighter lander for Minmus.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The game was updated and the expansion is out since about an hour ago.

Unfortunately it appears they failed to properly add the free copy of the expansion to my account so now I need to bitch and moan to support about it :/

By the forums it looks like the automatic process giving the expansion keys to early adopters failed for a lot of people and they are working on it.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ok they fixed it without having to bitch to their support. If it is not working for your, restart steam.

If you need to know if you are eligible for the free expansion, check your purchase history on the website (not in the steam client) if your have kerbal space program - early adopter listed.

Riel

Arcane
I'd like a little review of the expansion. IS it worth it? How does it improve (if at all) campaign mode?

Prime Junta

I made a rocket with the new Russian return module.

It fell over, blew up my launch pad, and killed two of my crew.

/review

(AFAICT no differences to campaign mode; there's a mission builder that lets you build and share missions though. Haven't tried it.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-making-history-review/

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM: MAKING HISTORY REVIEW

Kerbal Space Program's freeform rocket-building sandbox has attracted modders since the beginning, and after seven years they've crafted hundreds of additions—everything from planetary bases to ion drives. In this environment, what can Making History, KSP's first official expansion, offer players that hasn't already been done?

Not its collection of real-life spacecraft, which is a curious inclusion given that space history is one of the most popular subjects for mods. For example, the expansion offers a pretty good version of the famous Apollo 11 lunar lander module, but this mod has had a picture-perfect recreation available since 2014. The expansion adds the slender, tapering Soviet R7 rocket fuel tanks, but this mod made them available almost four years ago. All of these new additions retread ground covered by free mods for years and years.

No, in keeping with what already makes KSP great, Making History's best addition is not an object, but a tool—a new way to experiment and create. The Mission Builder, which players can use to script and plan missions and stories using simple drag-and-drop tools, makes the expansion worth the money.

History making
For most of its life, KSP was a sandbox game. The only missions were the ones I made for myself: Hey, I should go to the Mun. I should build a Munbase. Contracts that reward players with money, science, and prestige in career mode were a late addition, and I've always found them to be the weakest part of KSP. Instead of focusing on big-picture goals like taking my first steps on distant planets, contracts have me duct-taping and kit-bashing single-use spacecraft to take a new landing gear to a certain height and speed, checking off a box to get paid.

Contracts provided some goals and direction in the open world Kerbal arena, but they were never about telling stories. The new Mission Builder and History Pack (a set of pre-built missions based on space race launches) change that. For the first time, I can fly and build missions that follow a script.

In one of the first included missions, my Soviet spacecraft is suffering from a cascading electrical fault, and my only hope is to rendezvous with a nearby satellite and use its diagnostic systems to reboot. As I carefully fly over to the satellite, random systems explode, and my time begins to run out. After I finally get the computers to reboot, mission control throws me a curveball: Is there any way I could deorbit that satellite so the R&D team can see how get a look at the computer logs? Suddenly, I'm on a white-knuckle solo flight home in a satellite that wasn't meant to fly.

For long-time KSP players, improvisation and surprises only happen as a result of our own incompetence. Thanks to Making History, space can be an inherently dangerous place again: random failures a la Apollo 13 might cut a mission short; a freak micro meteor shower might puncture all of my solar panels, leaving a deep-space mission stranded until help arrives.

All of these variables are available to use in the Mission Builder, which is an excellent tool for scripting your own stories, as if you're a sci-fi dungeon master running a deep-space tabletop RPG.

Everything in the Mission Builder is drag-and-drop. To script a mission to the Mun, drop a Spacecraft Launched icon and a Spacecraft Landed icon and draw a line to connect them. Start at Kerbin, land at Mun. Drop a score bonus and a time limit, and draw new lines to wire them in to the script. Start at Kerbin, land at Mun in less than 3 days. Zoom in a bit and tweak a menu option to make the objective more specific. Add a scripted event. Give the player a choice between salvaging precious data and saving a stranded Kerbal. Start at Kerbin with a ship weighing less than 40 tons, land at Mun in less than 3 days and plant a flag in the East Crater and your thruster tanks exploded so you can only thrust to the left.

The building blocks are simple, but there's no limit to how deep you can stack all the Mission Builder's scripted emergencies and radio messages. I've been astounded by KSP modders' technical skill and devotion to historical engineering minutiae, and I'm sure that will all be applied here—perhaps with minute-to-minute recreations of Apollo 11 driven by actual radio transcripts. These tools are powerful enough to do that.

There's also a lot of comedy baked into KSP. When you're telling a story about the Kerbals—slapstick doofuses that they are—the explosive incompetence of amateur rocket designs makes it hard for KSP not to be funny. Mission write-ups are common on the subreddit, and these chronicles, especially those that revel in constant missteps, are often charming and sweet. Given tools to catalog, share, and have other players replay their epic missions (or painful failures), this same community could become expert story scripters as quickly as they've become expert rocket scientists.

Despite the huge number of free mods, KSP's developers found a way to make their expansion valuable: They built a new set of tools that the community hasn't provided for itself. The KSP community is fantastic, and more ways to create and share space adventures is exactly what it needed. For the price, it's nice to also get the big dump of new, historical parts, but Making History is great for the making, not the history.

THE VERDICT

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM

KSP's sandbox gets bigger by focusing on what makes it a great PC game: flexibility, freedom, and random explosions.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I think this is really going to be worth it once the community makes some interesting and challenging scenarios.

Also I can't beat the very first scenario. I can't get that fucking sounding rocket to the fucking island.

Prime Junta

Also I can't beat the very first scenario. I can't get that fucking sounding rocket to the fucking island.

I landed mine on the runway. :M

(Scored 8500 points and bronze on my first attempt at the first scenario. Not quite sure what the requirements are for scoring higher, I thought I did pretty well..)

Hint:

image013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Steam said purchsed 27/04/2013, I thought I was out of luck.

Turned out I bought it from their site on 16/12/2012, thanks to the person that posted a screenshot of that here.

WOOO

Hellraiser

Arcane
There is another DLC coming at the end of may, release date overlaps with 1.0 for Oxygen not Included which might not be the best choice for Take 2 (I will definitely play ONI 1.0 first). This one seems somewhat better than Making History as it promises to add robotics, new surface features, surface experiment parts and surface related exploration/science mechanics.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-programs-next-dlc-adds-robotics-and-more-experiments-embargoed/

Unfortunately they do not seem to be giving the surfaces better improvements than just random new features for science drilling. A small step in the right direction but planet surfaces need a giant leap to be honest. There is just so much they could have done with it. Procedural boulder fields for that Apollo 11 landing site searching experience during descent. Regolith and other surfaces that could affect rover wheels differently. Weather etc.

I just hope those cryo-volcanoes on Vall actually fire once in a while for potentially lethal effect.

Seems that finally stock electric propellers can be built, looks like it uses some rotating part attached to regular ailerons/flaps:

S875JDY.png

Robo arm rover spectrometrizing some crystal shit:

T0JNSfW.png

Kerbal inventory and deployable experiments (need panels set up to power them, do science over time):

eAIobFP.png

Walkers using hinges:

R2UiWur.jpg

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I got pretty burned out with KSP but this could be just the thing to rekindle the old spark.

I just wish they’d fix the surface sliding/bouncing issues too. Bases are no fun if they don’t stay where they’re put.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not to be a sell-out, but it seems like they're actually making a lot of progress lately. Maybe there's a healthy balance between indie developers doing the creative part of the game and then a bigger company going forward with it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom