Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by DarkUnderlord, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Drax Arcane

Drax

Just checked, I bought it in december 2013.....

:rage::rage::rage::rage:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    ^ Top  
  2. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG]
    I did buy the game again on steam though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Goddamn pissfucking CommNet. I had enough fuel on what's left of Osiris but of course I forgot to account for comms blackouts again and couldn't do my midcourse correction burn. So now it's dry, on a polar orbit of Kerbin somewhere near the edges of the SoI. My plan was just to fly up a plane to pick it up from LKO; now I'm going to have to send up a fairly hefty tug to haul it there first.

^ Top  
  4. toroid Arcane

toroid
    Wooh, just barely made the cut.
    [​IMG]

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Even if you don't get the expansion the new parachute will be featured in 1.4:

[​IMG]

It is steerable, as should be expected given its shape.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Testing a new plane (spoiler: it's brilliant!). Took the entire remaining Kerbin staff on an agitprop tour of Minmus and the Mun. They planted flags, sang revolutionary songs, and listened to exciting political education presentations from the PolitRuk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Riel Cipher

Riel
    Impressive Prima Junta, I have trouble landing two kerbals on the Mun without getting them stranded somewhere, lol.

Meanwhile back in the 70s Riel's Space program keeps making progress (slowly), as I was pondering on my next steps after my first workable yet inefficient space plane a mission to build an station in Mun's orbit popped out! Not only it was an endeavour that motivated me but it also paid a bunch of kerbolars that made building it not just possible but profitable too! And to make thing even better it was useful to dry Mun's science out! So I set myself to the task: I had already built a station in Kerbin's orbit, it was mostly a training exercise and it ended being a bit chaotic mismatch of odd pieces without any other use than a refuelling station I have so far ignored so this time I set mysefl on planning the whole thing before I launched any piece of it and it worked out quite well! Here it is:

[​IMG]

Scientific Module: This is the heart of the station, it has batteries and solar panels , RCS trusters, communications a mobile research lab and even an autopilot to keep control of the station when it's unmanned.
    Evacuation Craft: No plans were originally provided for the return trip other than let's make sure there is a docking port for a rescue ship!, after several complains filed in by the on board kerbals a ship was sent for that purpose and because the station's main tanks were getting low which explains the disproportionally alrge fuel tank for a ship whose supposed point is a return trip to Kerbin.
    Faulty Munar Landing Craft:
    it is not so much that it is faulty, it is actually a very workable landing craft whose original purpose was to do multiple missions on the Mun to bring experiment from different biomes to the SS, but alas! I was too cheapskate with the fuel tank so it is only valid for equatorial trips and can only be used with extreme care to not run out of fuel.
    Spent NEL: This is a variant of my original first ever to the mun (and back) worthy ship, it houses a full science equipment with redundant equipment and it has at times brought back over 500 science in a single trip, this ship in particular went to the Mun to explore the poles which are beyond the lander's reach, it also carried an extra scientist to speed up research at the mobile lab (which levelled on the trip too), since the original NELs were autonomous vessels they didn't have docking ports but for this mission parachutes were removed to make room for a docking port, no RCS was added since it is an small ship that can be docked with careful usage of the main thrusters. The ship is as of this moment useless but as long as the docking port is not needed it will be kept "just in case"(tm)

There are big reserves left in Munar Station but science in the Mun is mostly done so they are not so useful any more :( . As soon as the whooping 721 data stored in mobile lab (plus some extra experiments waiting for room in a lunch box) are processed and radioed to Kerbin I will move the personnel and resources to a new base around Minmus (whose foundation is already laid) there I am confident the "Faulty" Munar Landing Craft will be a very successful Minmus lander and I hope to be able to swim in science to the point that I will start thinking on calling this career a success and starting over with harder settings.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    I've gotten mildly obsessed with VTOL aircraft.

There is a mission: Duna. Thing with Duna is, the air is so thin that rocket planes are extremely efficient: you can cruise through the place with nary a puff of the engine. The fun starts when it's time to land. The thin air and low gravity mean that planes just want to keep going in a straight line, until they intersect one of the dunes that gave the place its name. (Yeah, the place is bumpy -- nice flat areas for airfields are few and far between.)

Therefore, VTOL. With hover rockets and RCS, I should be able to make controlled landings just about anywhere. So I want to build the Aelita Kosmodrome -- a self-sufficient fuel-producing base where I keep my birds, complete with tractor just like on Laythe.

Thing is, VTOL aircraft turned out to be (1) rather challenging, but in a good way, and (2) insane fun, so I got kind of caught up just making and flying them and cackling manically. I've got my Aelita Kosmodrome launches all done and craft waiting in orbit for the launch window which is pretty soon now, but I spent way too much time on frivolities... like the BAK Karmilla (inspired by the de Havilland Vampire). It's just such a bundle of fun to toss around, or land on top of the VAB if you feel like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(My VTOL craft are available here if you're curious: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/31350 )

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    I'm building another Kosmodrome on Duna. It runs on VTOLs. They just arrived in orbit.

[​IMG]

I also redesigned the Karmilla to look prettier, and built her a little sister -- a slightly more faithful tribute to the de Havilland Vampire. They're insanely fun to fly, I wasted hours just hooning them around the KSC. I particularly like the tiny little one. It's low on power but handles really well, which makes it feel like a real plane instead of the ridiculously overpowered planes KSP usually gravitates to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Kosmodrome Aelita is in business.

[​IMG]

First, the ISRU:
    [​IMG]

Then the fuel trailer and a tractor to pull it around and supply supplementary electrical power. Turns out the tractor can also pull the cargo plane around which is very nice as the cargo plane has no steerable landing gear and my Duna aviation skills are still a bit sketchy, which means I sometimes have to land a few klicks away from the site:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, an engineer from the space station to run the operation more efficiently:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One module to go: the habitation/command module, with a dune buggy and some landing area markers. These are non-critical components though -- what I have there now is fully functional.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    So I flew up to fetch the last module...

[​IMG]

...which officially completes Kosmodrome Aelita.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also flew up a bunch of fuel from Kosmodrome Laythe with the new Pelican 2, delivered it and Senior Engineer Bill Kerman to Jool Station orbiting Vall, where Bill fixed a busted wheel on the ISRU unit that had just been flown there, and then took it down to Vall surface to start fuel refining operations there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once Jool Station is fully fuelled, she -- with the ISRU and tanker, natch -- shall head off to Eeloo. That's the plan anyway. Truth be told this career is starting to pall a little; while I haven't done quite everything, what's left feels more like ticking the boxes rather than meeting genuine challenges. I'm thinking of starting another one... but with some differences:
    • Hardcore mode. No revert, no quickload.
    • Hard physics, except uncheck "Resource transfer obeys crossfeed rules" because it's opaque and un-fun.
    • Science 60%, funds 100% (maybe even 150%) as I don't like grinding.
    • MPLs only used to level up kerbals and reset experiments, never to grind out science.
    However, to mitigate the hardcore as I don't think I'd get very far on true hardcore mode:
    • Craft are developed in a simulated reality just next door (=sandbox with quickload and revert), with completed blueprints transferred to the VAB and SPH (=copied over when ready). The simulation may not perform any interplanetary missions however: Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus only.
    • KAS/KIS installed, which lets me recover from minor mishaps.
    • KER, AA, and Alarm Clock installed as usual.
    We'll see how it goes, if I get to that point.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Valentina and Leia Kerman have returned home from Kosmodrome Laythe (via a refuelling stop at Duna, fuel supplied by Kosmodrome Aelita), which marks the end of this long-running and extremely fun career.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started that hardcore career. Settings as described above, except that I decided to relax the "simulation" restriction a bit: simulating anywhere I've already been in career mode is permissible. I.e. the first flyby, orbit, and landing will have to be in career mode (probes are allowed), from there on out, I can do the same in the sandbox simulator e.g. to develop better landers or what have you.

Gotta say, no-revert/no-quickload makes it a lot more intense. Even routine re-entries are tense. I'm relying on probes a lot more, and sent up constellations of comsats as soon as I had the tech to do so.

So far, worst mishap on a kerbaled mission was stupidly installing a solar panel on top of a hatch which meant that I wasn't able to reset experiments as I had planned and had to turn a Minmus low/high mission into a Mun flyby. One probe mission was a total loss when during re-entry preparations I retracted the antenna before arming the parachutes: I lost contact with my comsat and could just watch helplessly as the probe did a perfect aerodynamic re-entry and then hit the ground at 100 m/s.

The second attempt almost failed -- I had neglected to check if my return module floats. It didn't, and I ended up unintentionally breaking a few depth records. Turned out the anchor was my heat shield, and when that was destroyed by pressure, the rest of it floated back to the surface and I recovered it. Had I known, I would have just jettisoned the heat shield; I was very close to the KSC that time and had radio contact.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. dbx Arcane Patron

dbx
    Why has this been moved to general gaming?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Probably because it's turned into something of a Prime Junta let's play...?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. RoBoBOBR Cipher Patron

RoBoBOBR
    several sim-threads are now general gaming, subnautica and modern flight sims for example.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    I've got my hardcore career to the point I can start thinking about reusability. When I got the Skipper and Rockomax tanks, I was able to make a 97% recoverable lifter. It goes up like a rocket, re-enters and glides back like a plane. It has no landing gear, so it has to ditch, which means no recoveries from the runway. It lifts about 10 tons or so -- enough for a crewed Munar mission or a multi-satellite launch, which is what I need at this point in the career. It's easy to fly in all phases of the flight and surprisingly efficient considering the extra aero surfaces: I got to orbit with the usual 3400 m/s even with a payload that also had more than the usual number of pointy bits. The payload went to the Mun. The lander remains in orbit there; in theory it can be refueled for reuse. Since I have KAS/KIS, maybe instead of replacing it with a better one I'll send up an engineer to weld on some new science bits when I get them.

The return module looks and flies like a missile: it's capable of re-entry straight from a Munar transfer orbit, but on the real mission I had enough fuel to get down to 250 km for that, so it was a relatively low-stress affair. Relatively. It's still bloody stressful when no stupid oopsies are allowed. Since it doesn't like to fly slow and I don't want to risk crewed horizontal landings until I have a zero-altitude escape mechanism, Mission Control decided to slap on a few parachutes instead.

That mission went entirely according to plan, which has got to be a bit of a first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    So 1.4 just dropped.

It looks pretty good. Some performance improvements, the new Rockomax tanks mean that craft like the one above look less like ass, particle effects are nicer, a bunch of QoL improvements like the ability to switch instantly between the VAB and the SPH, that sort of thing. Also the core mods I rely on did not appear to break so I'm able to continue my career no problemo, just removed the visual enhancements until Galileo updates them.

I'm also buying the Making History DLC when it drops next week, mostly out of curiosity and also because I can.

Didn't do much with the updated version yet. Just a set of three lander probes to Minmus for science. Two of them made it back. One fell over and crashed when I was trying to heave it upright (tall, because it had Science Jr, and no reaction wheels, just the wimpy ones on the probe core). I'm experimenting with alternatives to heat shields and have come up with a bunch of designs that survive being dropped into the atmosphere from Minmus orbit. Unlocked a new science gizmo so I'm probably gonna drop the Science Jr send a bunch of even smaller ones to the Mun next -- I've got a much improved craft; only problem with it is I can't easily stack them, so I'll need to figure out what to do about that.

First though I have to grind some money missions as I just upgraded my tracking station to level 3 and am almost broke again: there's a lucrative triple rescue from Minmus waiting which ought to do it. I'm going to adapt the EKPO-Artemis Mun launch for that by adding a crew compartment to the shuttle, and try to fit a light lander there too. I think it's possible, I had about 200 m/s margin on the EKPO for the Mun launch, and I can make do with a lighter lander for Minmus.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    The game was updated and the expansion is out since about an hour ago.

Unfortunately it appears they failed to properly add the free copy of the expansion to my account so now I need to bitch and moan to support about it :/

By the forums it looks like the automatic process giving the expansion keys to early adopters failed for a lot of people and they are working on it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    ^ Top  
  20. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Ok they fixed it without having to bitch to their support. If it is not working for your, restart steam.

If you need to know if you are eligible for the free expansion, check your purchase history on the website (not in the steam client) if your have kerbal space program - early adopter listed.

^ Top  
  21. dbx Arcane Patron

dbx
    Me too, bitching and moaning to support asap.

^ Top  
  22. Riel Cipher

Riel
    I'd like a little review of the expansion. IS it worth it? How does it improve (if at all) campaign mode?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    I made a rocket with the new Russian return module.

It fell over, blew up my launch pad, and killed two of my crew.

/review

(AFAICT no differences to campaign mode; there's a mission builder that lets you build and share missions though. Haven't tried it.)

^ Top  
  24. Riel Cipher

Riel
    So the mission builder is not a part of campaing mode?

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-making-history-review/

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.