Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

kickstarter you most regret (giving money to)

most regret

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Underworld Ascendant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Banner Saga

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Bard's Tale IV

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Star Citizen

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 34 28.8%

• Total voters

Sizzle

Arcane
Sadly, Broken Age. Tim dangled the promise of Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle in front of me and I shoved my money across the table.

Related: I regret NOT giving to Serpent in the Staglands.

DOS2 was my last KS, I will never back a KS again.

I know this is just your personal opinion, which, of course, you have every right to express, but I must say this is a rather strange response coming from someone who works at a studio that was basically saved from bankruptcy by a KSed project.

Can you elaborate on your aversion to KS?

I completely understand that many people feel they've been burned by it too many times (and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems with the way KS works), but you wouldn't consider pledging even to some future projects by tried and true gentlemen such as Whalenought_Joe, Pyke or Blackthorne?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Armikrog. I don't even like adventure games, so why the hell did I back this one just because it had cool claymation graphics?

Apart from that I don't regret anything. Sure not every kickstarter I backed has turned out as I hoped, but I always knew that was a possibility and it was worthwhile risking my money on the possibility of helping create something great.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah I didn't back this but supported by buying on release :d1p:

It pissed on everything that was The Neverhood, adventure games in general, and Kikestarter. ESPECIALLY when it scaled down to dumbfuck level with the patching in of the reactive cursor. :rage: the quest compass of adventure games.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That one adventure game, that had some really fucking cool art, and we even did a news post for it. I forget the name of it, and then we discovered the guy developing it was never going to release it at all, and make some pseudo updates once in a while to keep the illusion he is still going to make the game. Grimiore will be released before this game will... :M

Lesson learned. I didn't give him that much money thankfully.

Shit, what one was that? Cripes.

Having made a couple Kickstarter Games and backed quite a few, I have some regrets and some I was really happy with. Honestly, I backed a whole bunch after mine got funded because I felt like I should support other people doing the same thing I was doing. I had high hopes for some; sadly, more often than not, they were disappointments. But I've enjoyed a few. Ultimately, I can't scream at Kickstarter because it gave us the power to make basically our dream game. It just sucks that a few peons ruined it for hardworkers who needed some cash to make games.

Bt

almondblight

Arcane
That one adventure game, that had some really fucking cool art, and we even did a news post for it. I forget the name of it, and then we discovered the guy developing it was never going to release it at all, and make some pseudo updates once in a while to keep the illusion he is still going to make the game. Grimiore will be released before this game will... :M

Jack Houston and the Necronauts?

As for me, probably That Which Sleeps (since it's pretty clear their production is screwed beyond belief) and Wasteland 2 (have no interest in playing it). Overall I've been very happy with KS, though. Even some of the riskier ones turned out well - I thought there was a good chance that Dex would be a "take your money and run" situation, but that game ended up being pretty cool.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Jack Houston and the Necronauts?

Yeah! That's the one. Well it LOOKED cool anyways... ugh.

Johannes

Arcane
Of that list the Banner Saga, because I enjoyed it the least. I don't really *regret* any of them though, since in my mind all of it serves the higher purpose of increasing the probability we'll get good games in the future -- although Avellone and friends having been playing awesome RPGs since the 80s, the majority of the talent grouped beneath them grew up on action games and tablet crap. It takes a long time to raise a new generation of developers to RPG understanding.

Implying Avellone has RPG understanding :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm a filthy liar... I backed Bard's Tale IV... I don't remember if it was after my promise.

Sadly, Broken Age. Tim dangled the promise of Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle in front of me and I shoved my money across the table.

I know this is just your personal opinion, which, of course, you have every right to express, but I must say this is a rather strange response coming from someone who works at a studio that was basically saved from bankruptcy by a KSed project.

I completely understand that many people feel they've been burned by it too many times (and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems with the way KS works), but you wouldn't consider pledging even to some future projects by tried and true gentlemen such as Whalenought_Joe, Pyke or Blackthorne?

I didn't mean to imply anything is wrong with Kickstarter, there may actually be something wrong - I don't know. For me, it doesn't make financial sense for anymore, what with having a kid, and already having hundreds of games that I probably won't get to play before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I see now how what I wrote might seem subversive, but I was just trying to be assertive.

Fairfax

Arcane
Voted WL2, but then I remembered Elite: Dangerous. The beta raised many red flags already, but it was their decision to add always-online DRM that pushed me over the edge. To make it all worse, they decided to be very selective about who'd get refunds, which was absurd. I did get mine after months, though.

Other regrets:

TTON - I gave too much, but I was fine with it until they rigged the RTwP x TB poll. Apparently InXile also denies refunds in general, which should've been obvious with Fargo involved, but still scummy. Even Neal Stephenson gave people their money back when CLANG failed and they'd spent all of their money.
Star Citizen - I don't think it's a scam, far from it. The game looks fine, but the low FOV both in ships and on foot + the insane head bobbing in the FPS module turned me off completely. Not sure if they ever fixed the FOV, but I was told the head bobbing was not going to be changed, so that was it for me.

almondblight

Arcane
Even Neal Stephenson gave people their money back when CLANG failed and they'd spent all of their money.

Only to a couple dozen people who asked for them; they never offered them. Better than nothing I guess, but still kind of sucks looking at the names attached and the final product (utter garbage they just threw out there because they ran out of money).

Fairfax

Arcane
Even Neal Stephenson gave people their money back when CLANG failed and they'd spent all of their money.

Only to a couple dozen people who asked for them; they never offered them. Better than nothing I guess, but still kind of sucks looking at the names attached and the final product (utter garbage they just threw out there because they ran out of money).
They did offer refunds in the update. AFAIK nobody had their refunds denied. I got mine with no questions asked, for instance.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2 gave me my money back in enjoyment and some and DDOS might be good only for Coop and fights but it were good fight and over all the first map was a blast; if only they put not randomized loot in... again worth those 30 zion bux Commissar payed; what I do regret is backing the Pillows of Shiternity. :incloosive::d1p::negative::decline: Will never buy any Obshitian game again. And Op who put this poll as anonymous is a faggot.

Wizzy

Novice
That Which Sleeps. Too many stretch goals where the one man developer has been in over his head for months and is now basically out funds.

Watching their biggest forum supporters become increasingly disillusioned was an upside however.

almondblight

Arcane
They did offer refunds in the update. AFAIK nobody had their refunds denied. I got mine with no questions asked, for instance.

No, they said in an update that they had already provided refunds to the two dozen people who requested them:

By combing through comment threads and emails we have identified around two dozen CLANG backers who have asked for refunds. Those have already been processed; those people have their money back (about $700 altogether).

Fairfax

Arcane

No, they said in an update that they had already provided refunds to the two dozen people who requested them:

By combing through comment threads and emails we have identified around two dozen CLANG backers who have asked for refunds. Those have already been processed; those people have their money back (about $700 altogether).
Still, in the comments they posted:
Subutai Corporation on December 15, 2014
It's been nearly three months since this last update, and I'm officially closing the door on any more refunds. A couple have trickled in over the last week or so, and we'll honor them.
I guess people just didn't expect to get one or didn't bother. As I said, they didn't ask a thing when I requested mine.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Banner Saga - I had high expectations for it after reading the updates, etc. but the final game disappointed me on every level, except presentation (which was superb, both video and audio). Lackluster combat (although I like the armour/strength mechanic), random C&C, boring story with annoying characters, almost non-existant caravan mechanics and completely broken event system.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm a filthy liar... I backed Bard's Tale IV... I don't remember if it was after my promise.

I didn't mean to imply anything is wrong with Kickstarter, there may actually be something wrong - I don't know. For me, it doesn't make financial sense for anymore, what with having a kid, and already having hundreds of games that I probably won't get to play before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I see now how what I wrote might seem subversive, but I was just trying to be assertive.

Yeah, man, same here (minus the kid, at least for now :) ).
Thanks for replying.

Zetor

Arcane
HEX remains my #1 regret. They promised Shandalar 2.0 with solid MTG-esque mechanics, and I got MTG Online 2.0: The F2P Ripoffening instead. I guess they eventually added 'pve' (2 years after the game's original release?), but it's kinda banalshitboring.

Warmachine: Tactics is currently on notice, but I'm willing to give it a chance after a few more patches.

Crowfall is probably going to suck... I mean, it's an MMO kickstarter, what'd you expect?! I blame my friends for roping me into backing it.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
SpaceVenture

Space Quest got me into PC gaming, so I put waaay more money into this than I should have, even if the end result were any good. Unfortunately, four years down the road they still have nothing to show for other than a bunch of concept art and some proof of concept-style videos on youtube. Still waiting to get an ETA on the next project update, which will probably feature yet another "Come up with something funny, because we sure as hell can't"-contest. Oh yeah, and they released a Five Nights At Freddy's clone that gog refused to carry. I fear that the final game - if it is ever released - will be such a turd that it might meet a similar fate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom