Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One more reason I'm happy to be supporting Vavra's team - they have their values in the right place. Staunch anti-communism, and opposition to its present day metastases.
I'm super curious if they stick to their guns for KCD2 or if they conclude going through all that shit again isn't worth the bother so let's put a couple of black merchants on the king's court. After all it worked for Witcher 3.

Quillon

Arcane
And I'm uber curious if they'll stick with FPS combat for KCD2.

There is zero chance for "inclusive revisionism" from Warhorse. It isn't worth worrying over in the slightest.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And I'm uber curious if they'll stick with FPS combat for KCD2.

Tbh I'd prefer 3rd person. I didn't mind the FP perspective and combat too much but TP is just straight up better for everything except maybe shooters.

Given Vavra's legendary stubborness tho I'm not holding my breath.

Quillon

Arcane
I remember their reason for choosing FP was that "its better for exploration" so there should be no reason not to make melee combat exclusively in TP, with FP being optional, out of combat.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember their reason for choosing FP was that "its better for exploration" so there should be no reason not to make melee combat exclusively in TP, with FP being optional, out of combat.

No, Vavra insisted on FP bc it's better for immersion. And it is. But only slightly. AND you pay a dear price in clunkier combat, movement and feel overall. It's just way too little bang for too much buck.

Quillon

Arcane
Considering combat is time-wise small part of the game, players could get immersed all they want while exploring; make FP exploration mandatory even :P -with mandatory TP for combat.

Funposter

Arcane
One more reason I'm happy to be supporting Vavra's team - they have their values in the right place. Staunch anti-communism, and opposition to its present day metastases.
I'm super curious if they stick to their guns for KCD2 or if they conclude going through all that shit again isn't worth the bother so let's put a couple of black merchants on the king's court. After all it worked for Witcher 3.
I'd say that going through the process of being effectively blacklisted worked out in their favour. It drummed up a lot of "underground" excitement for the game among the crowd which was best suited to enjoy it, and I think it also stopped casual players from buying into manufactured journo hype, and then being burned by a super buggy game. It was lambasted for its bugs even by the sort of people that enjoy Obsidian games, so the casual player would have torn it apart and created a lot more negative word of mouth IMO. It's a sort of happy accident that things ended up the way they did.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The arument for being 1st peson all the time is realism and immersion. However a normal human's field of view is always much wider than that in a 1st person game, and this difference is especially evident in a 1st person game with lots of open spaces, like Arma and KCD. So, a 3rd person perspective gives the player a field of view that's much more realistic at least most of the time, when he isn't abusing 3rd person to see around corners without the enemies seeing him. My point is that 1st person isn't as "realistic" as people claim that it is, although it is more immersive than 3rd person.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
they can just rework combat into something more streamlined. It makes sense, Henry is a seasoned knight now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
they can just rework combat into something more streamlined. It makes sense, Henry is a seasoned knight now.

I guess the thought was "we're making a realistic game, we cannot have an arcadey combat in there". And I get it. But they're smart, I'm sure they'd figure out a 3rd combat that is relatively authentic and also a bit more fun than in KCD.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seasoned fighter maybe, but not necessearily with melee weapons. A friend of mine for example couldn't figure out melee combat at all, so he just got real good with the bow and spent the game one-shotting everyone who attacked him. He even used some workaround in order to pull out his bow in the scripted Runt fight and killed him before he could close in.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seasoned fighter maybe, but not necessearily with melee weapons. A friend of mine for example couldn't figure out melee combat at all, so he just got real good with the bow and spent the game one-shotting everyone who attacked him. He even used some workaround in order to pull out his bow in the scripted Runt fight and killed him before he could close in.
unless they changed it you could beat everyone by backpedaling with the bow
they'd never be able to actually hit you

Combat with really high level enemies is awfully tiring, especially ones with shields. High level enemies like Ulrich the Knight who is in a quest later on almost never attack you, rarely giving you a opening and if you attack first they just perfect block and riposte/counterattack which you can't block.
step 1. acquire bow
step 2. backpedal like a champion while filling his face full of arrows and watching him unable to hit you because poor AI

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

The arument for being 1st peson all the time is realism and immersion. However a normal human's field of view is always much wider than that in a 1st person game, and this difference is especially evident in a 1st person game with lots of open spaces, like Arma and KCD. So, a 3rd person perspective gives the player a field of view that's much more realistic at least most of the time, when he isn't abusing 3rd person to see around corners without the enemies seeing him. My point is that 1st person isn't as "realistic" as people claim that it is, although it is more immersive than 3rd person.

FOV has nothing to do with 1st or 3rd person.

Quillon

Arcane
He even used some workaround in order to pull out his bow in the scripted Runt fight and killed him before he could close in.

How? He killed Runt at the first encounter and game rolled with it?
No, the one on the 2nd floor of that barn, or whatever it was.

Old church prolly. But that was a regular fight between cutscenes. What's the workaround for? Game doesn't let the player pull out his bow or something?

Codex Year of the Donut

FOV has nothing to do with 1st or 3rd person.
It's not the same because it's a 3D projection onto a 2D plane, and only includes binocular vision.
Human FOV is roughly 200 degrees combined. Third person definitely does a better job at simulating this.

I don't have enough experience with stereoscopic rendering to comment on VR.

Paul_cz

Arcane
3rd person may give bigger FoV closer to real life, but in the end you still look at your character from outside and not through your own eyes. You are a floating camera. I don't have a problem enjoying games from both perspectives, but I appreciate that Warhorse stuck to their guns and kept it first person. There are quite few first person RPGs too. The last decent one was what, New Vegas?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Old church prolly. But that was a regular fight between cutscenes. What's the workaround for? Game doesn't let the player pull out his bow or something?
I think it starts out with you with a sword - a cutscene ends where Henry pulls out a sword, I think. Then when combat starts you are blocked from accessing your inventory. But if you very quickly press "I", start pumping it before the scene has loaded, then you can open up the inventory before the game disallows it and switch to bow.

AwesomeButton

Patron
3rd person may give bigger FoV closer to real life, but in the end you still look at your character from outside and not through your own eyes. You are a floating camera. I don't have a problem enjoying games from both perspectives, but I appreciate that Warhorse stuck to their guns and kept it first person. There are quite few first person RPGs too. The last decent one was what, New Vegas?
New Vegas being in a desert suffers from the same narrow FOV problem, all the more that Bethesda traditionally have a very narrow FOV, probably in order to keep the scene smaller so consoles have less of a problem rendering it. New Vegas inherits Bethesda's default FOV, which was something like 70-75, correct me if I'm wrong.

In a wide open area, you would normally look around as you walk forward, just to maintain awareness. It's no problem doing this in a game as well, but with the narrow FOV of a first person game, you have to do it all the more often.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did the sidequest with that Cuman and his stash. After recovering it, I had the option to take him to Rattay for a bit of dosh so I did it. But the fucker wouldn't follow me and just kept sitting at his stash with his dialogue (here, money!) repeating over and over. Eventually I just tried to quick travel somewhere but he didn't come with so I just accepted that it was a bug that was there since release that had been heavily reported on already. Went and did some more side quests, and then went to bed to save. Then I got back on, to find myself quick travelling to Rattay and turning in the Cuman there.

I'm not complaining since I ended up getting the bounty in the end, but it was a real surprise. I have also noticed that the horses are still buggy.

Speaking of horses, I did the horse race quest (for that widow in Neuhoff) and reloaded since I was getting my ass beat. As soon as I loaded in, the other contestants immediately started galloping at walking speed together even though the race hadn't started. They continued at this pace so I was able to win the race without any pressure. :positive:

I'm really having a good time with this game, although I haven't progressed the main story and I barely remember where I was up to when I stopped playing in February.

Outmind

Augur
I'm 18 hours into the game, and it just started crashing randomly. It crashes to the desktop with no warning or anything.
I'm running the latest version and don't really know what to do at this point.

Also, that quest the herbalist near Uzhits gives you must be one of the funniest things I've ever had to do in an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom