Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are aspects of RDR2 that I genuinely admire and appreciate - the writing, worldbuilding, atmosphere, sound design, art style and overall maturity, so rare in videogames. But I can't have it as my GOTY coz gameplay-wise it's still banal shit boring triple A crap.

As for indies or semi-indies, I absolutely loved Subnautica and Frostpunk. Both excellent games and strong contenders with KCD for my GOTY. A eventually ended up voting for KCD but I put 11bit as the best studio. More than deserved, both for This War of Mine and Frostpunk.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I voted KCD for best environment
I really wanted to because Warhorse certainly deserves the recognition, but ultimately didn't because Game of the Year is a more important choice. I don't think KCD has a chance to score a GOTY award, though, but at least I did my duty :salute:

I mean you can vote KCD for more than one category

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I really wanted to because Warhorse certainly deserves the recognition, but ultimately didn't because Game of the Year is a more important choice. I don't think KCD has a chance to score a GOTY award, though, but at least I did my duty :salute:
It sure as hell is my game of the year.
Oh, don't get me wrong as it's also my GOTY.

Truth be told, I only play on PC and have really bought almost nothing else this year because honestly there hasn't been anything remotely as interesting for sale. Just the usual dull and unambitious publishers-playing-it-safe AAA crap and close-but-no-cigar indie efforts.
I know what you mean. Most AAA games are just trash and Indies are more miss than hit. I hope Kingdom Come does get an award of 2. I really love the game especially because it isn't injected with AAA "agendas" and liberal progressive bullshit and journalists trying to say the game is racist when in fact Kingdom Come : Deliverance is just way too chad for "game journalists" to handle. Daniel Vavra's gift that keeps on giving

Paul_cz

Arcane

I couldn't when I was voting, unless something changed.

There are aspects of RDR2 that I genuinely admire and appreciate - the writing, worldbuilding, atmosphere, sound design, art style and overall maturity, so rare in videogames. But I can't have it as my GOTY coz gameplay-wise it's still banal shit boring triple A crap.

As for indies or semi-indies, I absolutely loved Subnautica and Frostpunk. Both excellent games and strong contenders with KCD for my GOTY. A eventually ended up voting for KCD but I put 11bit as the best studio. More than deserved, both for This War of Mine and Frostpunk.

Gameplay is..normal. It works. I suppose it could be criticised for lack of narrative choices and way too much reliance on shooting dozens of enemies..it would be cool if stealth played bigger role. But fuck, I am loving RDR2 right now. Tied goty with KCD.

SlamDunk

Arcane

No, you can't. Just re-checked it. GOTY section was left empty after nominating KCD for Best Environment.

Paul_cz

Arcane
While I don't expect KCD to win, it would be fun if only for the salt it would spawn over at moronera.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regular bastard lol, like its common to be a bastard of some lord, how do you relate to this? Henry is pretty much TEH CHOSEN ONE who's infiltrating armies, monasteries, leading people in battle, curing plagues, solving issues no one else can solve, doing suicide missions etc but people can't see past his dull as fuckness to realize it. Wow, an RPG protag that's so boring which is never done before! SO COOL!
He is the Medieval Czech Vito Scaletta. If didn't object against it in Mafia/2 you shouldn't object in this game.

It's a well designed system
10ngs47.jpg
Seconded!

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Today I started playing this game for the first time. At first I was impressed by the ambitious design of the systems and the pure incline that is the hardcore mode. But I just finished the tutorial and I must say I'm unsure whether to continue playing.

The tutorial mostly failed it's purpose to teach me anything. I got a super rushed lecture on swordfighting that turned out to be completely useless in the real world. I was taught how to ride a horse while being hunted by a mounted archer that killed me because I had missed the prompt telling me I could gallop, a prompt I missed since I happened to be running for my life. That's about what I learned.
Other than that, the tutorial can be summarized as an interactive movie where you watch Henry make retarded decisions that makes you facepalm. I thought this was an RPG? Why am I forced to roleplay as an imbecile?

I don't really see the point of the first two locations in the game. The game tries so hard to make me care for the starting village and my family, but it's just a place where I practiced swordfighting and did a short fetch quest for my father (and refused to throw manure at a German's house). The second location was just completely pointless, it's just a random time drain and the little gameplay available could just as well have been cutscenes, not that the game is lacking in those.
After escaping I make my way back to the village and encounter a bandit. Since the game actively informs me that fights are deadly and should be avoided if possible, I run away only to sneak back and defeat him by knocking him out. In the village I encounter a looting neighbour and am railroaded into berating him for looting the dead. In a game with a "Civilians killed" and "Times jailed" statistic. Who designed this!? Did they think I hadn't already looted every loot container corpse I came across? Did they think any player wouldn't have?

After watching some more cutscenes heavy-handedly telling me I should hate "dude that killed my parents", I am introduced to "dude that will steal my sword". In a role-playing game with diplomatic and stealth elements, as well as deep reputation mechanics, the game opts for a "Batman Arkham" fight intro where it might as well have been Penguin taunting Batman before loosing henchmen on him. I'm severely outmanned, so I do the logical thing the game has conditioned me to at this point: I run away. I leave the bastards in my wake, dashing confidently towards the main gate... and hit an invisible wall. "No! There's no running from a trainer battle!"
Panicking, I run towards a corner of the village, hoping to separate my attackers and maybe take them on one at a time. This fails, and two of the henchmen corners me and beats me to a pulp. I furiously await the game over screen when I'm teleported back to where the fight started, treated with a cutscene of "dude that will steal my sword" beating me up and gloating how fighting him was pointless, before the cavalry arrives and saves me.

:deathclaw:

Cue more cutscenes, diligently reminding me I'm supposed to hate "dude that killed my parents" and "dude that stole my sword", before I'm treated with a Max Payne-esque dream sequence where the goal once again is to let yourself be defeated.
I wake up in a new location, gets told about the stash, and the tutorial seems to be over. Why did the game even bother with the earlier locations, why not just start off here? Or at least condense what happened into an actual tutorial that teaches you stuff? Ugh.

So what I'm wondering is, does the game get any better after this point? Does it actually use all those awesome-looking character systems to create great role-playing possibilities, or is it just more cutscene bonanza where you're railroaded into being a dunce?

PS.
In Talmberg the Lady asked me to describe the events of how the home village was sacked. And I have no idea what is happening in this conversation. Why is every choice a skill check? What's the point of choosing what part of the story to tell her? Why is there an out of place "epic choice"-timer?
To make it even more confusing the camera bugged out and pointed at the wall during the entire conversation.

0PitC0G.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does it actually use all those awesome-looking character systems to create great role-playing possibilities, or is it just more cutscene bonanza where you're railroaded into being a dunce?
Yes. :M

I can tell you that the game is worth playing, though it will certainly be frustrating at times, especially in the late stages of the main quest.

Got bored and left

Today I started playing this game for the first time. At first I was impressed by the ambitious design of the systems and the pure incline that is the hardcore mode. But I just finished the tutorial and I must say I'm unsure whether to continue playing.

The tutorial mostly failed it's purpose to teach me anything. I got a super rushed lecture on swordfighting that turned out to be completely useless in the real world. I was taught how to ride a horse while being hunted by a mounted archer that killed me because I had missed the prompt telling me I could gallop, a prompt I missed since I happened to be running for my life. That's about what I learned.
Other than that, the tutorial can be summarized as an interactive movie where you watch Henry make retarded decisions that makes you facepalm. I thought this was an RPG? Why am I forced to roleplay as an imbecile?

I don't really see the point of the first two locations in the game. The game tries so hard to make me care for the starting village and my family, but it's just a place where I practiced swordfighting and did a short fetch quest for my father (and refused to throw manure at a German's house). The second location was just completely pointless, it's just a random time drain and the little gameplay available could just as well have been cutscenes, not that the game is lacking in those.
After escaping I make my way back to the village and encounter a bandit. Since the game actively informs me that fights are deadly and should be avoided if possible, I run away only to sneak back and defeat him by knocking him out. In the village I encounter a looting neighbour and am railroaded into berating him for looting the dead. In a game with a "Civilians killed" and "Times jailed" statistic. Who designed this!? Did they think I hadn't already looted every loot container corpse I came across? Did they think any player wouldn't have?

After watching some more cutscenes heavy-handedly telling me I should hate "dude that killed my parents", I am introduced to "dude that will steal my sword". In a role-playing game with diplomatic and stealth elements, as well as deep reputation mechanics, the game opts for a "Batman Arkham" fight intro where it might as well have been Penguin taunting Batman before loosing henchmen on him. I'm severely outmanned, so I do the logical thing the game has conditioned me to at this point: I run away. I leave the bastards in my wake, dashing confidently towards the main gate... and hit an invisible wall. "No! There's no running from a trainer battle!"
Panicking, I run towards a corner of the village, hoping to separate my attackers and maybe take them on one at a time. This fails, and two of the henchmen corners me and beats me to a pulp. I furiously await the game over screen when I'm teleported back to where the fight started, treated with a cutscene of "dude that will steal my sword" beating me up and gloating how fighting him was pointless, before the cavalry arrives and saves me.

:deathclaw:

Cue more cutscenes, diligently reminding me I'm supposed to hate "dude that killed my parents" and "dude that stole my sword", before I'm treated with a Max Payne-esque dream sequence where the goal once again is to let yourself be defeated.
I wake up in a new location, gets told about the stash, and the tutorial seems to be over. Why did the game even bother with the earlier locations, why not just start off here? Or at least condense what happened into an actual tutorial that teaches you stuff? Ugh.

So what I'm wondering is, does the game get any better after this point? Does it actually use all those awesome-looking character systems to create great role-playing possibilities, or is it just more cutscene bonanza where you're railroaded into being a dunce?

PS.
In Talmberg the Lady asked me to describe the events of how the home village was sacked. And I have no idea what is happening in this conversation. Why is every choice a skill check? What's the point of choosing what part of the story to tell her? Why is there an out of place "epic choice"-timer?
To make it even more confusing the camera bugged out and pointed at the wall during the entire conversation.

0PitC0G.jpg

The opening few hours are infamous by this point for being ridiculously linear and heavy on the cutscenes. They're also not at all representative of the meat of the experience - it really does get better.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlamDunk

Arcane
So what I'm wondering is, does the game get any better after this point?
Yes, it does, just keep playing.

The game is very linear in the beginning, but opens up after you get to Rattay and get healed up. That's when the actual game begins, really.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

That was one of the more bizarre posts I've ever seen. Finding annoyance in every milimeter, driven by some deep undertow butthurt. I half expected something like "and then...gulp...and then the game mede me press various keys like A, W, D and S, in an alternating pattern AND AT THE SAME TIME PRESSING THE MOUSE BUTTONS!1!1! What a stupid game!"

Yeah dude, you definitely shouldn't waste time with KCD :lol:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
and refused to throw manure at a German's house
You should restart and rectify that. Never waste a perfectly good opportunity to throw some shit at Germans.
They should have made the quest that if you decided not to throw shit at Kunesh's house he later finds out and comes and confronts you why you didn't throw he's house with shit and demands you throw him with shit immediately. Because Germans are probably into stuff like that

Gerrard

Arcane
Every time Henry opens his mouth I expect to hear "HEY GUYS JIMMY HERE".
If fucking CDProjekt could afford to make multiple audio languages so should you. Maybe you would if you didn't blow all your money on "famous" BBC actors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Come, relax and take a look on the third dev stream with Prokop and Tobi. This time both are tackling the free Tournament mode that came along with the “Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon”. The second DLC for Kingdom Come: Deliverance revolves around his attempts to woo the fairest maid he has ever set eyes upon, and his success will not depend only on his own mastery of the art of love – it’s also up to his trusty wingman, you - Henry, to ensure that The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon come to a happy end!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I have Ryzen 5 2600x, with RX 580 8gb and only 8gb ram 2400hz. Dont have ssd. So, should I buy one ssd 480gb or another 8gb memory to play this game? Dont have money for both right now.
Ryzen functions best on fast ram, should have gone for 2933/3000/3200mhz instead.
SSD would be a bigger help than RAM, IMO. Loading screens would be quite painful otherwise.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I don't take developer recommendations too seriously nowadays. 8gb is fine for basically anything, I doubt it would be a bottleneck.
Something else to consider is that an SSD is going to be universally useful for any game too, an extra 8gb wouldn't really be utilized by much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom