Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theory

3a: a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation

Pick up a grade school English workbook you retarded pieces of shit

No. You:

Thesaurus also list common use of worlds, so it's going to lie to you that hypothesis and theory are synonyms, where in reality they are closer to being antonyms.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
The Merriam Webster dictionary isn't lying to you, you just don't have the intelligence to understand English

Falksi

Arcane
I've just actually read part of the blog.....

1. Jagged Alliance 2 (99%). The closest to perfection as one can get: a masterpiece of game design that will never be beaten. Jagged Alliance 2 really is in a league of its own.

2. Interplay's Fallout (97%) is the greatest "pure" RPG of all-time. There are no if, buts or maybes [cool pic].

:lol:

Mustawd

I’d just ignore this “the mole” guy. Obviously he doesn’t value his or our time by posting inanities about dictionaries/thesauruses.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
You literally don't understand the definitions of words you base arguments on, go back to school or pick up a grade school English textbook from the library

Deleted Member 22431

Games are a failed medium to begin with. Those that like to test their wits are better served doing programming, philosophy, physics etc... Those that like stories are better served by films and literature. While games do promise a combination of mechanics and story for a superior entertainment experience, they seldom deliver. Even the best written games are only "good" for A GAME, and mediocre at best when compared to other mediums.
You think cRPG is a failed medium because you are judging them by the standards of films and literature. It doesn’t occur to you that one can say that films and literature are a failure medium because they don’t have the density of philosophy, physics or biology; or that philosophy, physics, and biology are poorly written because they don’t have the stories or quality prose of literature; or that literature is a failed medium because it doesn’t have the acting and imagery of films, and so on. Basically, any medium has its different strengths and specificities that can’t be properly expressed by different mediums. Saying that one is superior to others is like saying that your left leg is superior to your right arm. It’s completely nonsensical and arbitrary.

I think you are just indulging in this flawed reasoning due to pedantry and ignorance. You probably aren’t acquainted with sophisticated people involved in the cRPG industry and don’t have a clue how complex it is, so you feel entitled in your enormous ignorance to dismiss the whole thing in this silly post. If you really think cRPGs are no big deal, do us all a favor and go post about something else elsewhere and don’t waste everyone’s time.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Games are a failed medium to begin with. Those that like to test their wits are better served doing programming, philosophy, physics etc... Those that like stories are better served by films and literature. While games do promise a combination of mechanics and story for a superior entertainment experience, they seldom deliver. Even the best written games are only "good" for A GAME, and mediocre at best when compared to other mediums.
You think cRPG is a failed medium because you are judging them by the standards of films and literature. It doesn’t occur to you that one can say that films and literature are a failure medium because they don’t have the density of philosophy, physics or biology; or that philosophy, physics, and biology are poorly written because they don’t have the stories or quality prose of literature; or that literature is a failed medium because it doesn’t have the acting and imagery of films, and so on. Basically, any medium has its different strengths and specificities that can’t be properly expressed by different mediums. Saying that one is superior to others is like saying that your left leg is superior to your right arm. It’s completely nonsensical and arbitrary.

I think you are just indulging in this flawed reasoning due to pedantry and ignorance. You probably aren’t acquainted with sophisticated people involved in the cRPG industry and don’t have a clue how complex it is, so you feel entitled in your enormous ignorance to dismiss the whole thing in this silly post. If you really think cRPGs are no big deal, do us all a favor and go post about something else elsewhere and don’t waste everyone’s time.

Films and literary do not need physics or biology to have great storytelling and many do have decent philosophical inclusion. They can also be scientifically accurate in the story eg, accurately portraying gravity in a film, or having biologically literate portrayal of an alien given their environment. This point is really weak on your part. There is absolutely nothing I said that would imply the absolutely retarded point of certain mediums not having a unique capability another medium doesn't have. Wow good job for noticing that literature does not have visuals - slow clap.

Games however can potentially portray every single thing literature AND film can portray, while adding an element of participation that the other mediums cannot. So it is completely fair to criticize games as failed in all the ways literature and films can be poor, since it IS capable of the same expressions.

Deleted Member 22431

Films and literature do not need physics or biology to have great storytelling and many do have decent philosophical inclusion.
No, they don’t. You can't compare, let’s say, the density of Kripke’s Identity and Necessity with any film, no matter how seriously it takes itself. Sophisticated philosophy is conceptually dense and inaccessible to laypeople and unsuitable for a film format.

They can also be scientifically accurate in the story eg, accurately portraying gravity in a film, or having biologically literate portrayal of an alien given their environment.
They can be scientifically accurate in the sense they don’t make silly mistakes, but they can’t be scientifically sophisticated because sophisticated science is conceptually dense and inaccessible to laypeople and unsuitable for a film format.

Games however can potentially portray every single thing literature AND film can portray, while adding an element of participation that the other mediums cannot. So it is completely fair to criticize games as failed in all the ways literature and films can be poor, since it IS capable of the same expressions.
That’s a pointless comparison. cRPGs are games that have systematic reactivity and combat governed by stats and skills. They are games, first and foremost. The addition of written content and video scenes comes second. The notion that they should be compared to novels or films because they have written content and video scenes is stupid because cRPGs are still games with specific aims dictated by the necessities of the medium. It’s a sign of immaturity and inferiority complex to downrate cRPGs because they fail in objectives they were never intended to do. A cRPG must satisfy a ton of conventions that are incompatible with the narrative of a good novel (e.g., asking random NPCs about stuff, etc). In fact, the writing in cRPGs includes everything from area design and itemization to world-building, so to take a written dialogue to compare and contrast with a novel betrays a lack of understanding of the medium. What is worse, it would not be an exaggeration to suggest that most cRPG developers nowadays have this lack of understanding about their own medium. They should strive to develop and emphasize the strengths of their own medium instead of trying to imitate other mediums at the expense of gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

here is absolutely nothing I said that would imply the absolutely retarded point of certain mediums not having a unique capability another medium doesn't have.
You said that cRPGs are a failed medium because we would find all their elements in a more sophisticated version elsewhere. That's like saying that films are idiotic because they can't have the theoretical density of a scientific paper. It's idiotic because it ignores the real strengths of the medium, in this case, the unique ability to make choices in a systematic manner with a character system.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
here is absolutely nothing I said that would imply the absolutely retarded point of certain mediums not having a unique capability another medium doesn't have.
You said that cRPGs are a failed medium because we would find all their elements in a more sophisticated version elsewhere. That's like saying that films are idiotic because they can't have the theoretical density of a scientific paper. It's idiotic because it ignores the real strengths of the medium, in this case, the unique ability to make choices in a systematic manner with a character system.

All these attempts to make your post sound less dumb are cute.

You literally quoted me and still fail comprehension. I am not just talking about ANY medium having the same types of quality as any other medium. You pulled this line of thought out of your ass. There is absolutely 0 reason a dialogue can be GOOD in a movie and a work of literature and be judged under different criteria in a video game. You are trying to abstract away this simple fact in general statements. Moreover stop pretending I am talking about great literature or great philosophy. I am simply talking about barely passable decent.

It isn't that hard. Can games have good writing, good visuals, philosophy, and reactivity/mechanics? Absolutely. Do they? Fuck no. No amount of quoting me will change this simple point. You keep acting like I am expecting great works of literature in my games. If planescape was a book, no one would know about it or even publish it - that is hard reality of what I am talking about. Even the most cherished games for writing which are games in name alone are pretty fucking bad.

I,e it is kind of pathetic that the games we all masturbate over are still top of what has been achieved. That's a major F in my book.

Also I want to add that I really don't want to throw artists and musicians under the bus. They generally do a pretty good job. It is the writers and guys responsible for gameplay that make questionable choices. Even when a game does a decent job at writing, every other aspect is absolute trash. We basically have games with decent gameplay that have fuck all for story, and something resembling decent stories that have fuck all for gameplay and might as well be tv shows or books. Both is apparently too fucking hard.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Whoa Lilura has a blog?! Why isn't this more commonly spoken of here?

To be fair, my commentary is not spoken of much anywhere, not even on the blog itself. That is despite garnering a non-trivial readership (via Google).

There are several reasons for that:

1. The commentary is largely factual and thorough, and the positions taken are mostly inarguable. Thus, little is left to be said.
2. In rare cases in which a view is voiced, objectors are blocked out. In other words, a troll is defined as "Anyone who disagrees with my narratives, however mildly."
3. In general, I pose no questions to the reader, and I acknowledge no authority above my own in the sphere of commentary.
4. I write for myself first and foremost, not for the reader.
5. I don't team up and make friends with other, more sociable commentators ("You talk about what I'm doing, I'll talk about what you're doing").
6. I'm honest, genuine and rarely controversial.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Whoa Lilura has a blog?! Why isn't this more commonly spoken of here?

To be fair, my commentary is not spoken of much anywhere, not even on the blog itself. That is despite garnering a non-trivial readership (via Google).

There are several reasons for that:

1. The commentary is largely factual and thorough, and the positions taken are mostly inarguable. Thus, little is left to be said.
2. In rare cases in which a view is voiced, objectors are blocked out. In other words, a troll is defined as "Anyone who disagrees with my narratives, however mildly."
3. In general, I pose no questions to the reader, and I acknowledge no authority above my own in the sphere of commentary.
4. I write for myself first and foremost, not for the reader.
5. I don't team up and make friends with other, more sociable commentators ("You talk about what I'm doing, I'll talk about what you're doing").
6. I'm honest, genuine and rarely controversial.
Nat 1 on the sense motive roll.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, Lilura, why in the world did you ignore MRY? Some kind of narrative-focused purge (I’m not calling a future federal judge/justice department official a storyfag)? Collective punishment for anyone associated with TTON? Criticism of Baldur’s Gate? I can’t think of a more genteel poster.

PS. is new king content still on hiatus?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Does that also apply to your ignore list here? :M

Oh my, the length of that list. Xir's so fragile I am *almost* ready to believe xir is a 'foid.

biggestboss

Liturgist
How do you see someone's ignore list?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom