Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Some are expanded reposts but others are new. Pics have been added, too.

monk.jpg

Having 20 builds on one page makes the write-up unmanageable and less readable.

The agenda has always been to use my Google penetrance (largely built on Baldur's Gate) to get more people playing or at least recognizing/acknowledging ToEE, JA2, SS and other elite tactical RPGs.

While I do like the Infinity games, I despise the fanbase because they don't branch out and think their games are the greatest ever. 95% of IE fans are retards that have barely scraped the surface of the genre.

Looks like Lilura either wrote up new character builds for TOEE or split up the ones from her old retrospective into new blog posts: https://lilura1.blogspot.com/search/label/Temple of Elemental Evil: Builds

Although there is some interesting and useful information on the Dragon Lady's blog, I do not agree with the ToEE builds, especially this aberration : https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/0...Rogue-Two-handed-Sneak-Attacker-Greataxe.html ... a proper RPer would not be caught dead running minmax shite like this in a group. Or ... maybe I'm just too old school. I think I can just say its not my cuppa tea.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The authoritative or classic sneak-attacker was posted earlier [link]: he wields cutlass/rapier on-hand and dagger off-hand.

Max Damage

Savant
Technically, there's nothing in RAW that says big weapons can't be used for precise attacks + it's easier to deliver that kidney slice when you have better reach and don't have to split attention between 2 weapons.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
octavius is probably just thinking of AD&D 2nd Edition, or at least Baldur's Gate's employment of it, in which Thieves couldn't backstab with Bastard Swords, let alone reach/great weapons.

Moreover, he hasn't even played ToEE.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I must add that's it's fine for someone not to have played ToEE (there are many games), but to be a combatfag who has been on 'Dex since 2007, with 13k posts, and not played ToEE?

That's odd.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I must add that's it's fine for someone not to have played ToEE (there are many games), but to be a combatfag who has been on 'Dex since 2007, with 13k posts, and not played ToEE?

That's odd.

I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I've spent the past ten years playing games chronologically. Haven't reached 2003 yet.
Besides I never saw it (as with Wiz 8) for sale in the shops.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That's odd.

He seems to go through everything in chronological order, so probably ToEE is still a few years away

edit: damn ninjaed. btw. ToEE has really nice boxart

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I've spent the past ten years playing games chronologically. Haven't reached 2003 yet.

He seems to go through everything in chronological order, so probably ToEE is still a few years away

Yet octavius has played Oblivion which came out 3 years after ToEE...

He even played Oblivion before playing Jagged Alliance 2 (1999), which he only played recently.

I guess for him, AAA popamoles are more important than the greatest turn-based RPGs of all-time.

Nice.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Top 5 most retarded fanbases of the Renaissance era:

1. Morrowind (popamole LARPers)
2. Baldur's Gate 2 (romance-lovers)
3. Planescape: Torment (extreme storyfags and pseudo-intellectuals)
4. Vampire Bloodlines (edgy hipsters and vamp fetishists)
5. Gothic Series (casual popamolers posing as hardcore gamers)

Top 4 Devs of the Renaissance era:

1. Sir-Tech (Jagged Alliance 2 & Wizardry 8) [Also Greatest all-time RPG dev by far]
2. Troika (Arcanum, ToEE, Bloodlines)
3. Black Isle Studios (Fallout 2, PS:T, Icewind Dale, IWD2)
4. Ion Storm (Deus Ex & Anachronox)

Most try-hard dev of Renaissance era:

Obsidian (Neverwinter Nights 2, MotB, SoZ, KotOR II, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas)

^ basically glorified modders which isn't bad in itself except most of the engines were terrible.

Renaissance Dev that declined the most:

BioWare (Baldur's Gate, BG2, NWN, Dragon Age: Origins, KotOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2...)

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Top 5 most retarded fanbases of the Renaissance era:

1. Morrowind (popamole LARPers)
2. Baldur's Gate 2 (romance-lovers)
3. Planescape: Torment (extreme storyfags and pseudo-intellectuals)
4. Vampire Bloodlines (edgy hipsters and vamp fetishists)
5. Gothic Series (casual popamolers posing as hardcore gamers)
haha, that's exactly me... OH SHI~

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Besides I never saw it (as with Wiz 8) for sale in the shops.

Yet octavius has played Oblivion which came out 3 years after ToEE...

He even played Oblivion before playing Jagged Alliance 2 (1999), which he only played recently.

I guess for him, AAA popamoles are more important than the greatest turn-based RPGs of all-time.

Nice.

CRPG Addict...?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Balls to playing chronologically, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and miss out on the good shit.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Balls to playing chronologically, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and miss out on the good shit.

If I didn't play chronologically I'd miss out on more "good shit". Would probably never have played Evil Islands, for example, which to me is a good example of a hidden gem.
Instead I'd probably be endlessly replaying the same old favourites like some Lilura.
And it's not like I play all CRPGs, like the CRPG Addict does.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If I didn't play chronologically I'd miss out on more "good shit". Would probably never have played Evil Islands, for example, which to me is a good example of a hidden gem.

So what you're saying is that you're a scavenger: you sift through shit that people discarded long ago because it's just that - shit. But sometimes you find a piece of copper.

See, I can belittle your preferences as you can mine, with:

Instead I'd probably be endlessly replaying the same old favourites like some Lilura.

Compared to you, I'm an aristocratic connoisseur with a highly refined palate, and an expert on the games I play.

At the end of the day, we're just different: You're a generalist gamer and some-time commenter who goes in for this, that and the other whereas I'm specific, focused and ever-refining my commentary and palate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom